Awoo.

The Sonic Mythos Under Your Pen - How Would You Write the Series?

Spin Attaxx

Funny, I'm actually planning on writing a Sonic AU series that contains elements that I feel could be put in the actual series. So if I was in charage of writing the stories, here's what I'd do;

First, the backstories for all the characters. Now, I don't want to drop people right into a long, drawn-out tale. What I'd do instead is drop hints here and there. This will give enough information, while still leaving things vague enough for an air of mystery and fan interprettion.

I'd revisit places like South Island and Westside Island. There's a lot you can do with the different places we've already seen, rather than keep relying on a new one each adventure. Not to say new locales wouldn't be introduced.

-Characters would be more than just Sonic, Tails, and Eggman. The others need love too. There'd be a lot more interaction among then. I don't think we've had a proper interaction with Sonic and the Chaotix for instance. It would be fun to see how the different personalities bounce off one another.

Yeah, that's basically how I'd handle writing the series.

I wouldn't make any major changes or flesh out Sonic's world too much (like, I don't really want a world map or character backstories or detailed explanations or anything), because personally I actually really like the Sonic 'verse being somewhat vague and undefined. It makes it feel like the possibilities are endless, sort of. However, I would definitely revisit and utilize characters and concepts that have been established. I really love the Sonic mythos as it is and don't want to change it - I just want to use it more.

Some examples would be Sonic Adventure having a plotline deeply tied to Knuckles' people, the Chaos Emeralds, and the Master Emerald, Sonic Heroes focusing around a character who hadn't been seen in a while and doing something totally new with him (even if the execution of its plotline was abysmal), and Sonic Chronicles having to do with Knuckles' history and even adapting a few concepts from Western media (not that I want that done all the time, but it can work).

Too many Sonic games have almost nothing to do with what came before, which is annoying.

...Oh, and I would completely abolish Sega's official statement of the games' canon. Considering there's very little continuity between games, it's just pointless.

• 4 weeks later...

This one is about three subjects: the canonicity of every Sonic universe, time travel, and Solaris.

First off, in this theory/ramble, EVERY single universe that Sonic has ever been in is canon, whether it be AoStH, SatAM, Underground, X, the games, the Archie and Sonic the Comic Comics, EVERY ONE OF THEM IS CANON.

But how you might ask? Some of them clearly contradict each other in many aspects, such as certain characters existing and others not, not to mention the differences in locations, how certain weapons and objects of importance work, etc.

My answer is that every single universe are actually all alternate versions of one universe/timeline, the result of differences in events in regards to when (like how maybe Eggman conquered the world very early in his life in one universe/timeline, while in another he did it much later in life due to differing circumstances), where, and how they occur, and the reason why characters always seem to differ from continuity to continuity is because every character does exist in these alternate universes (or did exist at one point), but their roles in the different universes vary from main to supporting to barely important depending on the verse. So for example Sally Acorn would be a central character in the SatAM/Archieverse, but she would just be some random individual in the games verse with no real relevance to the plot of that verse, but she DOES STILL EXIST.

Now you're thinking: But aren't some aspects completely irreconcilable, like Time Travel mechanics and the like?

Enter Solaris.

Now Solaris as we know it was basically a monster of the week with the power to control time and space, but what if it was taken one step further and made so that Solaris is the warden and protector of time and space itself, basically working behind the scenes outside of time to keep time and space from collapsing in on itself, and to make sure timelines go as smoothly as possible, even if it means some details end up being inconsistent to those who look at things more closely. This can range from him changing the rules of time travel for different timelines/universes to keep individuals from accidentally/intentionally making a bigger mess of time and space, to patchworking in events and changing backstories and the like to keep a timeline/universe from collapsing due to paradoxes or significant events that involve high levels of energy (like say the Genesis Waves from Archie Comics), or in some cases erasing/restarting a timeline after it becomes unsalvageable (06 verse).

You're also probably wondering: What about the 06 thing? How does that fit in?

My answer is that Solaris is unique in that unlike the normal characters like Sonic, who would have multiple alternate universe versions of himself, Solaris is the only one of its kind, and would have the power to go into a timeline/universe as it pleased. As a result, any alternate versions of Solaris would always be the same Solaris regardless. However, if Solaris ever DIES in a universe, it would not really be dead, but instead would be booted out into the point outside of time it usually resides, and while it would be considered dead in the universe that it died in, it would simply not be able to return to that universe physically, although it would still be able to watch what is going on in that verse from the outside. Thus, at one point during one of its visits to a timeline, it got  caught up in the 06 verse's crap, and the trauma of being split into Mephiles and Iblis drove the former crazy. Not surprisingly, Him being crazy + the ability to change the rules of time travel at a whim = really convoluted shit, and it was only after Solaris was destroyed in that verse that it finally came back to its senses, and thus decided to take a less active role and only do things from behind the scenes.

I would also personally think that Solaris is generally more focused on keeping things as smooth as possible, so while it isn't exactly friendly with anyone due to their tendency to wreck the space time continuum on a number of occasions, it isn't against them since it does realize things happen and there are those who try to keep those kinds of scenarios from happening (although success is mixed).

TL;DR: Every Sonic verse is canon because they are all alternate versions of one canon with different characters and events having different levels of relevance depending on the universe, Solaris is the Sonic version of Vector Prime from Transformers Cybertron, Mephiles' plan was due to trauma and crazyness, and time travel is different per continuity because Solaris wants to keep people from fucking up the timeline to the best of its ability, but which type of time travel works best varies from timeline to timeline.

I hope this made some degree of sense, since I'm basically dumping all of my thoughts without organization.

• Thumbs Up 2

What, is that basically a kind of alternate universe idea like they do in Marvel and DC works, like their comics, movies, and TV series?

What, is that basically a kind of alternate universe idea like they do in Marvel and DC works, like their comics, movies, and TV series?

I honestly don't know; I don't really keep track of those.

I honestly don't know; I don't really keep track of those.

Basically, aside from the Solaris thing, their comics, cartoons, and movies differ from each other. For example, compare the Super Friends to Justice League or Young Justice in terms of having some of the same elements, but new characters, new threats, etc. Or how in DC comics and Young Justice, Cadmus was a genetics research organization, while in Justice League it was a governmental project designed as a countermeasure for the Justice League.

You get where I'm going or are you still lost?

Basically, aside from the Solaris thing, their comics, cartoons, and movies differ from each other. For example, compare the Super Friends to Justice League or Young Justice in terms of having some of the same elements, but new characters, new threats, etc. Or how in DC comics and Young Justice, Cadmus was a genetics research organization, while in Justice League it was a governmental project designed as a countermeasure for the Justice League.

When you put it like that, I guess that's what I was kinda going for.

I'll throw my idea into the ring here, despite the fact you guys have discussed this to death.

I think Sonic does need to have a more mature tone than something like Mario or Kirby. I'm certainly not advocating going to absurd Shadow the Hedgehog levels of 'edge', but the games should be more dark than Nintendo. Mickey Mouse is actually a good influence point, which is what Sonic was based off from the start. In short, more Disney and less Nintendo. 

I think the best Sonic 'plot' was Sonic CD, for the sheer atmosphere the game managed to get across with it's art and direction design, kind of like the silent Mickey Mouse shorts. 

Sonic benefits a lot from show and not tell, even more than most dramas. The 'attitude' is what separated Sonic from the countless Mario clones in the 1990's. I think it's good to return to that core essence, but one that hasn't aged as much as the Sonic Adventure titles. 

In short, I'd like to see something more like Sonic CD's cutscenes. Subtly dark and moody but with hope and brightness.  Less is more.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'd like to remind people that, for all the talk of Nintendo being seen as less dark, Nintendo has made some pretty dark and edgy stuff if Majora's Mask, Twilight Princess, Thousand Year Door, Super Paper Mario, Star Fox Assault (okay, technically that was Rare), some of the Metroid games (some admittedly outsourced to Retro), and the Mother Series.

Oh, and there's this wonderful example from the Kirby series that's quite an eye opener. :)

Don't sell Nintendo short in the darker tone department guys. They'll surprise you.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd like to remind people that, for all the talk of Nintendo being seen as less dark, Nintendo has made some pretty dark and edgy stuff if Majora's Mask, Twilight Princess, Thousand Year Door, Super Paper Mario, Star Fox Assault (okay, technically that was Rare), some of the Metroid games (some admittedly outsourced to Retro), and the Mother Series.

Oh, and there's this wonderful example from the Kirby series that's quite an eye opener. :)

Don't sell Nintendo short in the darker tone department guys. They'll surprise you.

Good point ChaosSupremeSonic, Nintendo certainly used to play more hardball in the past, aside from Majora it's kind of been forgotten. I think the games that were most popular in the past were the cheery ones though, although I could be completely wrong!

I was referring more to current Nintendo, who are overwhelmingly light and cheery right now, with the current Mario, Captain Toad, Modern Kirby and Skyward Sword as examples. I'm also not intending to knock on Nintendo, I love Nintendo as Captain Toad's brightness is a great contrast with the dull and grey monotone of the AAA industry (although there does seem to be improvement which I'm happy for).

Sonic is actually going into the Modern Nintendo direction, which I think causes him to lose some of his charm. Don't want him to go OCD on the Shadow the Hedgehog drugs though :P

• Thumbs Up 1

I never did finish Skyward Sword for family reasons, but I remember it being realllllly creepy as hell in certain spots.

But yes, I definitely advocate a darker series. But I think more along the lines of not so much dark (though it can have those tones) but exaggerrated awesomeness.

An example is something I'll actually use from a game I felt incredibly underwhelmed by, Generations. 

In SA2 they have the GUN truck chasing down Sonic, filling up both streets, knocking away cars and all.

They brought that back in Generations, but decided to give it hacksaws and rockets. 

It's dumb, but it's cool as well. 

I think Sonic fits the area that parodies tropes, It hits B-Movie types of tales. Adventure 1 and 2 did this fairly well, 1 is basically about Water Godzilla and 2 is kinda Secret Agent Again Evil Mastermind.

Uh, ChaosSupremeSonic, Star Fox Assault was Namco. Rare did Star Fox Adventures.

Your point still stands, though. Just sayin'.

Uh, ChaosSupremeSonic, Star Fox Assault was Namco. Rare did Star Fox Adventures.

Your point still stands, though. Just sayin'.

Derp.

I don't know how the hell I mixed those two up. XD

Happens to all of us. It's cool.

A headcanon I am considering: 

Chaos Emeralds: Their power and seeming inconsistencies.

Chaos Emeralds, while possessing a decent amount of power by themselves, in reality do not have the majority of their power within them. Rather, when someone is drawing on the power of the Chaos Emeralds, the Chaos Emeralds draw in natural Chaos Energy from their surroundings and transfer that collected power to the user's body. It is also noted that Chaos Energy will always eventually leave the body of the user due to a certain trait of Chaos Energy that will be mentioned later. In theory this means a person can use the Chaos Emeralds to attain a super form without needing 50 rings (which are also composed of Chaos Energy, although not a lot considering how comparatively little power each individual ring possesses). However, natural Chaos Energy is not only heavily spread out and not easily drawn in, but whether the Chaos Emeralds can draw that power in AND the user can maintain that power within their bodies to begin with is dependent on the existing levels of Chaos Energy within the user/person using the Emeralds, and their willpower/emotional state.

With this in mind, the seemingly inconsistent power of a Chaos Emerald becomes easier to understand, especially in regards to the nature of Super Forms, since an inexperienced user of Chaos Energy would not only have a considerably harder time drawing that power into themselves, but would also likely have more difficulty KEEPING that power, thus not only forcing them to use their own body's existing energy, which would considerably increase the strain on their bodies thus leading to likelihood of exhaustion (Sonic Adventure 2's Super Shadow), but in the event of a sudden shock physically or emotionally, could result in a sudden loss of power/transformation back to the regular state (Sonic 3's Knuckles punching Super Sonic out of Super Form).

It has been noted however that the Super Form, and by proxy the Chaos Emeralds tends to become abnormally powerful when facing off powerful foes such as Perfect Chaos, Solaris, Dark Gaia, and etc. This is most likely due to the nature of these foes, since the large majority of these powerful monsters frequently tend to have large amounts of Chaos Energy within their bodies, and thus said energy likely mingles with the already existing natural energy in the surrounding environment. This results in the Chaos Emeralds not only being able to draw in far greater amounts of power than they otherwise would, but also results in levels of power that vary depending on the power of the creature in question, with Perfect Chaos being quite powerful but nowhere near the level of Solaris and Dark Gaia, thus the level of the Super Form's power is naturally proportionate.

Chaos Emeralds: Deus Ex Machina, or powerful beings in the vicinity?

There have been notes of the Chaos Emeralds seemingly being Deus Ex Machina or abnormal when it comes to what they are capable of. Two prime examples regard the Time creature/ Sun God/MotW who no longer exists Solaris, and MotW/ Ancient Earth deity Dark Gaia. For the former case, it was noted that the Chaos Emeralds suddenly gained the ability to create temporal warps, seal away powerful beings of fire, and SOMEHOW have the power to revive the dead when in the vicinity of the god-like creature, or within one of the two beings who compose the creature, Mephiles/Iblis.

While this can be brushed off as a result of Deus Ex Machina when operating under the understanding of Chaos Emeralds = Plot Device that can do anything because the Writers say so (and it is canon-wise, but this is HEADcanon), under the mentioned theory above regarding their inconsistencies, it is very possible that the Chaos Emeralds not only transfer the power of the surrounding energy into the user, but also potentially obtains the powers associated with Mephiles and Iblis to some degree, or at least until the beings in question don't emit said power anymore through their demise. Solaris and Mephiles are both beings noted to have time-warp/travel related abilities, thus the Chaos Emeralds, by drawing upon the energy they emit, would gain some degree of time-traveling/warping abilities they otherwise would have been limited to simply slowing or stopping time. Iblis' fire abilities would have been drawn in by the Emeralds and used in a fashion that could be said is like how when dealing with a wildfire, a way to keep it from spreading is to isolate it by using a controlled variant of fire (Blaze), thus cutting it off from the fuel needed to continue (the world). I admit this is a stretch, but frankly I'm already likely stretching things as it is, so ONWARDS.

But where does REVIVING SOMEONE FROM THE DEAD fit in here? The answer is surprisingly simple: The Chaos Emeralds didn't have the power to revive the dead, but Sonic WAS returned to life...by the time-warping powers gained by the Emeralds as a result of them drawing in that power from Mephiles/Solaris. It focused that power on Sonic and reversed time backwards to a time when he was still alive, with Elises' emotional state/willpower probably helping to channel that power (and MAYBE the kiss, although then again maybe she just had a weird fetish or something).

Now in Dark Gaia's case it's a bit simpler. The Werehog is noted to be rather bizarre since there is no given explanation as to WHY Sonic specifically turns into a werewolfish creature despite the fact that other people who were affected by Dark Gaia only had Dark Gaia Spawn controlling them. This once again ties with the Chaos Emeralds drawing in the power of Dark Gaia the first time it appeared, but it ALSO ties in with Perfect Chaos, not simply because due to his stretchy limbs, but also because of his monstrous form and the circumstances to which that form was obtained; namely NEGATIVE CHAOS ENERGY.

Chaos Emeralds: Positive and Negative Energy.

It was noted in Sonic Adventure 1 that Chaos had drawn upon the negative energy of the Chaos Emeralds to become Perfect Chaos while Sonic drew upon the positive energy to become Super Sonic. It is also notable that Perfect Chaos doesn't look anything like his previous forms, looking noticeable monstrous and reptilian while his previous forms tended to lean more to fish-like or humanoid. I've also noted that this isn't the only time the final form of a Monster of the Week doesn't look anything like the form they started with, whether it be Black Doom from Shadow the Hedgehog, Dark Oak's hydra creature form from Sonic X, Metal Sonic's Metal Overlord form from Sonic Heroes, and so on. While I THINK there may have been exceptions here and there, it is pretty consistent in that a monstrous form tends to be the final form, and that the beings who have this form very frequently exhibited some form of negative emotions or were in some form of negative emotional state, VERY similar to how Perfect Chaos drew negative energy, or how Dark Gaia's power drew upon negative emotions/AFFECTED people's emotions negatively.

Thus my theory is that the Werehog is not only the result of negative energy sent through the Chaos Emeralds into Sonic, AND that Dark Gaia's power is purely negative Chaos Energy, hence why it always looks monstrous, BUT that the Werehog is likely to be an incomplete Negative Super Form.

HOWEVER!

Chaos Emeralds: Dark Super Sonic.

Where does Dark Super Sonic fit into all of this? Surely he must be the true negative Super Form or something, and It is noted that Dark Super Sonic was the result of intense anger and the negative energy of FAKE Chaos Emeralds. Plus in Sonic Adventure 2, it is noted by Tails that Fake Chaos Emeralds have nearly the same properties as a real one, even if they aren't as powerful.

So wouldn't that contradict the theory? 

My answer: Not really. For one thing, fake Chaos Emeralds have only shown up a grand total of ONCE in Sonic game canon, and their supposed similarities to a real Chaos Emerald are stated by a kid, who while very smart and technically minded, was also the kind of person to underestimate just how powerful a real Emerald was when testing it on his plane, but also forgot to put landing gear on the alt form of his next plane. I honestly would not be surprised if he missed a few flaws in a Fake Chaos Emerald that would likely result in some very minor differences that, while not so bad when used sparingly, like how Sonic used it for Chaos Control in Sonic Adventure 2, but would likely have some far more noticeable effects if used to the degree in Sonic X. I also believe that Fake Chaos Emeralds are probably considerably more unstable than real ones (if using a Fake Emerald to blow up the Eclipse Cannon is to be believed) because of another theory I have.

Chaos Emeralds vs Fake Emeralds: What's the difference?

Besides the above mentioned, Chaos Emeralds have one major difference from a Fake one: The former is a conduit for power, while the latter is a container OF power. This works on the idea that Chaos Energy is exactly as its name suggests: Chaotic. Chaotic energy can be transferred into a container...but it doesn't necessarily want to STAY in the container or be forced into a non-chaos/non-random state for a very long period of time, and eventually it has to go out somewhere. Because the former is simply a conduit for this energy, it doesn't run into instability issues because it isn't trying to contain the energy, only move it from one place to another. HOWEVER, fake emeralds are designed with the assumption that Chaos Emeralds CONTAIN great power, so as a result, they end up trying to control the Chaos energy, which doesn't turn out so well because of the aforementioned idea about Chaos energy, which results in some VERY unstable Fake emeralds.

There are probably a ton of other little things I'm forgetting about, but this is the most I'm willing to deal with for now.

• Thumbs Up 3

Wouldn't it be easier to make a theory of the Chaos Emeralds potentially mutating a character over exposure of its heavier energies so they're able to use their power? It would help restrict the ability of Super Forms to specific characters.

Plus, as far as their power inconsistencies, you could just simply use the Master Emerald as a limiter. Just a thought.

Wouldn't it be easier to make a theory of the Chaos Emeralds potentially mutating a character over exposure of its heavier energies so they're able to use their power? It would help restrict the ability of Super Forms to specific characters.

Plus, as far as their power inconsistencies, you could just simply use the Master Emerald as a limiter. Just a thought.

I don't understand the question for the first part, and for the Master Emerald part, there are a number of times when the Master Emerald isn't anywhere near the Chaos Emeralds, so I find that a bit iffy.

I don't understand the question for the first part,

You know how the Bruce Banner turned into the Hulk from gamma radiation (that should have actually killed him instead)? Basically something similar to the Chaos Emeralds exposing characters to a heavy dose of its energy and enabling super transformation.

That's the idea I meant, if that makes sense.

You know how the Bruce Banner turned into the Hulk from gamma radiation (that should have actually killed him instead)? Basically something similar to the Chaos Emeralds exposing characters to a heavy dose of its energy and enabling super transformation.

That's the idea I meant, if that makes sense.

Well yeah I thought that part was obvious so I didn't mention it. I was just saying/trying to say that while they might have the power to undergo a Super transformation, their ability to RETAIN and keep it going is dependent on how much energy is within their bodies and how much can be drawn in and transferred through the Emeralds to their bodies, in addition to willpower and focus.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

After stewing about how Knuckles, Tikal and the Nocturnus could possibly understand modern language despite being trapped away from modern civilization, the only thing I could come up with is:

Knuckles and Tikal: After she trapped Chaos in the Master Emerald, the remaining echidnas built a new civilizations/took shelter on Angel Island, and over the years as their numbers dwindled for any number of reasons (lack of breeding, fear of inbreeding, customs, etc.), explorers (most likely birds since Angel Island's in the air) would come to the island and through some degree of interaction (hostile or otherwise), the echidnas would get tidbits of different languages which overtime built up into a reasonable understanding of an antiquated if not somewhat modern language. Thus Knuckles would have had some degree of knowledge left behind by the echidnas before him on other languages outside of echidna language. Tikal, not really being able to do a whole lot outside of keeping Chaos in check, probably through the Master Emerald somehow, ends up gaining some of that knowledge thus allowing her to be able to speak modern languages as well, as well as translate anything that would be difficult to understand otherwise during SA1 (because frankly I doubt Pachacamac spoke modern English/Japanese in his time, so it wouldn't be a stretch if what he "said" was actually a rough translation by Tikal). Also maybe through the Master Emerald Tikal helped leak some language knowledge into Knuckles somehow.

Now as for how the Nocturnus knows Modern English/Japanese, this one sorta ties into my "Devil's Archipelago" headcanon. In that headcanon, I said that all of the locations from Sonic 1, 2, 3, and CD were located in a group of islands known as the Devil's Archipelago, which is called such because due to the nature of Little Planet and the power of the Master Emerald, weird temporal anomalies tended to occur as a result of the energies from both clashing, resulting in the disappearance of people, vehicles and such so that only the foolhardy, bold (Sonic), or sinister (Eggman), or local inhabitants would dare go here (It's also a reference to the Bermuda Triangle, also known as the Devil's Triangle). Now the above explorers would have had to navigate this dangerous place to get to seemingly mythical locations like Angel Island or Little Planet, but that doesn't necessarily mean they always get BACK safely, either falling into the Special Zone by accident...or falling into the Twilight's Cage due to a freak set of coincidences. Now assuming they survive, the Nocturnus might end up capturing them because the Nocturnus want to find a way out of the Cage, and while they're trying to figure out how these unfortunate explorers fell in, they might steal/force out whatever knowledge these explorers got, including language and what they know of the world right now. As such presuming there's a decent stream of unfortunate people falling into the Cage and the Nocturnus getting to them before they get ripped to pieces, would allow them to at least develop technology to be able to roughly translate languages.

Or maybe I'm overthinking it and they just stole a translator from Tails or Eggman at some point during Chronicles, one or way or another.

I know this is a massive degree of overthinking things and stretching suspension of disbelief, but that whole "ancient civilization speaking normal English/Japanese" really bugged me for a while.

• Thumbs Up 2

I actually had an idea for this a year or two ago, but I grew dissatisfied with it and ended up deleting pretty much everything. But then Sonic Boom came out. The paranoia of it replacing the main series was always there in me but it kind of reached a breaking point with the announcement of Fire and Ice. It drove me to redo what I did before, only without any of what I didn't like that made me erase it the first time.

I wanted everything to be different so I even gave it a new name: Sonic Chaos.

The basic overview
Sonic and Amy Rose Hedgehog are brother and sister at Green Hill Orphanage on South Island.They were abandoned there when Sonic was a toddler and Amy was a baby and are left there under the care of the administrator and Sonic's father figure, Harvey Who.

They lived a relatively peaceful life at the Orphanage, despite never getting adopted, until one day when Sonic was 15 on Amy's 13th birthday, the orphanage was attacked by Unit BRB*, a robot working for Doctor Robotnik. He kidnapped many of the orphanage's inhabitants and took them to facilities where he infused their very being with chaos energy, a mysterious force to be reckoned with. Sonic's exposure to the energy grants him super speed and quick reflexes.

Amy is taken to a facility on the other side of the island where she is given super strength. She uses this power to wield a large hammer as the main weapon.

If it seems half-baked, undercooked or otherwise lacking in detail, well outside of the fact I don't want to give too much of what I have away, I haven't exactly finished the idea either. The plan is to go off and remake every. single. story. that the games ever told. So far I'm up to S3K. Still got a long way to go.

Also, if it looks like it's blatantly plagirizing the intro to the original Crash Bandicoot, first: your taste in video games is well appreciated and second:... yeah sorry. By the time I noticed I was already having too much fun writing and just never got around to thinking of something different.

*Unit BRB. If your wondering, yes it stands for Big Red Button, I was feeling VERY angry at the Boom "scheme" when I wrote this. So much so that I intend for this Unit to just be a one off villain who gets busted and never shows up again. Maybe i'll make him a running gag like the Box Ghost in Danny Phantom

• 1 year later...

I know I'm reviving a dead thread that I already posted in, but I was writing a reply to a more recent thread when I realized that it didn't actually fit the topic, so I went and dug up this one because it seemed more fitting and I didn't want to waste the over 600 words I had written. xD

-

I wouldn't be that interested in rewriting the entire continuity of the games or anything, and wouldn't want Sega to do that either. But going forward, I would do things a little differently, not in order to reboot the series exactly, but to form a more consistent and coherent world out of what's already happened and been seen in previous games. For example, I would keep the art style of most of the environments not over-the-top realistic and not over-the-top fantastical, but with a few areas which do embrace one style or the other more, making it clear that Sonic's world happens to have all these different features and all previous games take place in the same world, just different locations. Likewise, I would show some areas of Sonic's world as being densely populated by humans and others having more an anthro population, making it clear that they live on the same planet, but inmost areas one "race" or the other has a clear majority, which is why we've seen human bystanders but not anthro bystanders in previous games. I would also actually bother using, expanding upon, and possibly even connecting interesting elements in the franchise's universe and lore.

Basically, don't outright remove or change anything from the canon, just write and design things in such a way as to make the entire series more cohesive and like an actual fictional universe, not just a bunch of different games that might as well take place in different worlds with little regard for what the series has been like in the past. I'm just not a fan of how "all over the place" the series has been for so long. I'm not saying I want it to be a continuity-heavy series, I like self-contained stories, but I'd like them to still feel like an interconnected universe and for what lore the series has to be used, rather than just throwing it to the side and practically inventing everything from scratch in every game, it seems. But there's no desperate need to actually change the past, just to make better use of it and incorporate it into new things better, if that makes sense.

On top of that, I would also add clarification and maybe even minor changes to a few little details in the series. For example, I would subtly alter the situation with Knuckles and the Master Emerald in a way that doesn't outright contradict the previous games in order to make it make more sense that he doesn't have to spend all day sitting on his butt right next to the Emerald. For example, you know how in different games, the Master Emerald has sometimes been shown with different appearances and locations? Well, maybe that's not just plain inconsistency - maybe Knuckles actually has quite a few locations to place the Emerald in and is actually adept at hiding it, and because of Magical Reasons even Eggman's sensors can't pick it up most of the time. It doesn't keep the M.E. perfectly safe, but that's fine - I don't mind Knuckles still being a bit tied down by his duty, it's an established facet of the character at this point, and I don't think it should be a completely low-risk situation for him to leave the Emerald alone. I also might expand on Knuckles' connection to the Master Emerald more; not saying I want him to be like his Archie counterpart and get over-the-top powers, necessarily, but there's probably more subtle things that can be done, not unlike the already established trait of him being able to detect emerald energy. For example, maybe Knuckles can sense whenever anyone is approaching the Master Emerald, no matter how far away he is (though that doesn't mean he can tell who it is), which would help with him protecting it. Also, I might incorporate more classic elements into the portrayal of the Chaotix, such as having them be old friends of Knuckles'.

Eh, I prefer how the games currently do the Chaotix's dynamic with Knuckles aka Vector may be friends with him (in the Mario and Sonic series) due mostly to being power types and not a long-standing thing, and Espio outright not being friends with Knuckles to the point of looking down on his livelihood. Benefits the Chaotix because it means they're not a hivemind of social acquaintances, and makes more sense given how the Chaotix have worked since Heroes. 

Until I see more of the old Nintendo I'll never considered them dark today. But I'd want to see a darker story. I human or neko gf and no deviant art fan made characters. But honesty the series is ok as is