Awoo.

The LEGO Dimensions topic

Inkling Cooper

I'm just gonna say it, but those packs do not look like they offer the same amount of blocks as in a normal Lego set. There is one minifigure (Which is like £2 in those collectible Lego blind bags), a mini vehicle as seen in the trailer and as the pictures says, about 40-100 blocks per pack. A lego set (Or at least the ones worth £10) have far more blocks. For example, The Lego Movie set that includes the melting chamber scene from the movie has three minifigures (Emmett, Wyldstyle, and a Robo-Cop), blocks to create the melting chamber scene, and a whole lot more. 

http://youtu.be/uL4XcY2gXPU

I just watched this and it basically confirms that the same formula they have been using in the past is returning. Now firstly, I don't think the LEGO games are bad, I find them to be enjoyable and LEGO Avengers is definitely on my radar. But when you think about, you are paying $100+ for the same gameplay formula as before, but this time requiring you to spend more to get additional characters. I think a toys to life LEGO game could work, but they shouldn't be using the TT formula for this. Not only because the formula is getting stale, but because they are locking features that were in previous LEGO games behind a paywall. What makes Dimensions look worse is that games coming after it wont have this issue, they will continue to require you to unlock them by playing the game.

Overall, I like the idea of merging real LEGO bricks and gaming together, but this just smells like a cash grab to me. In my opinion, the formula that TT have grown used to does not fit this kind of game as it has already been established that you can unlock characters in the LEGO games just by playing them. Another huge issue is the price; £100 for the starter set is fucking ludicrous. The maximum amount I would want to pay for a LEGO game is £40, maybe a bit more if it's a minifigure edition. But over double that for the same gameplay as before but less character included? No thank you.

• Thumbs Up 9

Not to mention that it's a total waste of these licenses. I mean they got fucking Batman and Back to the Future. Back to the fucking Future of all things. One of those movie trilogies that would be amazing for Lego. A license where the time travel can add a unique twist to the formula and yet, they decide to give them this. 

Lego. Just make a BTTF game instead of this cash grab.

• Thumbs Up 1

Don't worry folks! I'm sure GAME won't over charge us for these.... 

http://www.game.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/RelatedGamesView?articleId=543783&catalogId=10201&langId=44&storeId=10151

Oh...

£100 for the starter pack.

£30 for the level packs

£15 for characters.

....Well there goes any interest I had.

Seriously why is this £15!?

Called it. I knew this would be a gigantic rip off. You can get fucking Lego City packs containing the same thing (A character and a vehicle) for £4! You can get full on sets like The Batman Vs Penguin set and Lego Movie melting chamber set for £10! This is just a fucking ripoff. 

Do the NFC stands really cost that much?!  Like I know LEGO prices have risen pretty heavily in the past ten years, but this is ridiculous.

Also I think I'd have just packed an NFC disc in with every single LEGO pack from now on and had them all be compatible with LEGO Dimensions, rather than this weird two-tier approach.  And why does the Wii U even need an NFC portal when it already is one?

• Thumbs Up 1

I hope this bombs. I mean, I know it won't and it'll be more like a smash hit, but I'd love to see people vote with their wallets. There's no reason any game to be this expensive. 

£100 for the base game + £30 for levels + £15 for characters? Bloody hell. If these things are supposed to be collectible, they should at least be affordable. To buy all that's (currently) on offer would cost in excess of £300. Rip-off, much?  I don't even like Lego games at the best of times. They're repetitive and shallow, and it's the licensed characters and so-called "humour" that makes them so popular. So of course, Dimensions is going to follow suit.

I wonder when this whole NFC or "Toys to Life" genre is going to collapse in on itself. It can't go on forever costing what it does, especially as more and more companies try to squeeze their way in.

I like the fact that this has a bit of a unique spin on the "toys to life" genre in that you're not literally just buying toys to plonk into a game, you actually have to do the Lego shizz beforehand and put them all together, and because of the very nature of the title it's possible that this is what will be used now for future Lego game installments - so instead of whole brand new games that basically just reuse the same formula over and over again, why not simply sell a character/level pack and add it to the Dimensions world? At least that way you get the fun of watching all these different franchises crossover. I mean, this is a game where you can have Marty McFly driving the Batmobile with Gandalf in the passenger seat. If that isn't living the Lego dream, I don't know what is.

However! £99 for a game is just waaaaaaay too expensive. Yes, it has lots of potential for future expansion, and yes it should at least be serviceable fun, but... it's all going to add up extremely quickly and the Lego games, while enjoyable, are nothing really that special. I mean, heck, I loved the hell out of Lego Star Wars 1 and 2 but no way would I ever pay nearly a hundred quid for them, real-life toys or not. And that's the even funnier thing about all this - it's not even just £99 for a game... it's £99 for a game you have to build yourself before you can even play it! Lego Dimensions, some assembly required! It burns your wallet and then it makes you slave over a pile of over-priced Lego bricks afterwards.

Of course, because it's Lego and because it's going to pull out all the big guns in terms of franchises, it's going to sell and kids are going to eat this shit up - but there's zero chance I could ever justify paying for it, so I'll absolutely be giving it a miss.

Now watch them release a Lego Doctor Who pack and I'll be throwing money at them. You Lego bastards.

• Thumbs Up 5

Here's something I just realized as well. What is one of the best things of a crossover game? In my opinion, it's seeing all the various characters interact with each other and play off each other...and thanks to this bullshit NFC crap, that is now impossible. There is absolutely no way they can build up any sort of good story with these characters playing off each other because these characters are now optional. Marty and Doc? Optional. The Wicked Witch and The Cowardly Lion? Optional. 

Thanks to Lego's greed, the entire purpose of a crossover has been removed because now, we can't even see these characters react with each other. We can't see their personalities work off each other, and it's all because these characters can't actually play a role in the story because they are 100% optional. The only characters that can even play a role is the starters and that's it. You might as well just buy the minifigures and create your own story with them because at least you can make it feel like a crossover with your own imagination.

• Thumbs Up 4

What the...? One hundred dollars for the starter set?! I was prepared for a higher price like $70 or something but that price is ludicrous!

.. Yeah, on second thought, I'm going to pass this up until the price drops. Lego games should cost at least $40 base price nowadays, with their constant recycling of gameplay assets and reuse of the same formula for the last 27 games. I love the idea of real-world Legos being scanned into a game, and in a perfect world it'd be like a real world Creator/Lego Universe game where you can build creations in real life and then send them into the game, but simply putting the characters that I couldn't even be bothered to unlock in the previous games for free behind the paywalls, and plopping them into the same old, same old world of safety Tt is so fond of... No. None of that.

Ironically Lego Jurassic Park looks more innovative than this game is trying to be. So, yeah, I'll pass.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh heck. The room that the trailer is in has a few clues/hints to possible expansions... someone noticed this.

RmyEEc9.jpg

Oh heck. The room that the trailer is in has a few clues/hints to possible expansions... someone noticed this.

n7lsOEd.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

I was interested in this when I first heard about it.

Then I found out it's a Skylanders thing. Blegh.

I dunno why people think I'd want to buy their weird figure things that do stuff in games... *nervously glances at small Amiibo collection*

So, I was looking through the packs and ...

tumblr_nmjv50nDHW1tl4wjfo1_1280.jpg

Oh my gosh, that Unikitty is adorable, I'm definitely getting that.

Another thing I notice is about the stands the characters are on:

tumblr_nmjv50nDHW1tl4wjfo2_1280.jpg

Marty has a different one than Unikitty, so I guess each character gets a one specifically for them, that's pretty neat.

and In one fell swoop there goes any plans of getting the sets at store price

chances are i'll try to get the portal build by its self and a few of the stands if I can manage to stick normal lego bricks on them but otherwise

unless they drop that price I ain't getting it unless someone gets me it for a Christmas present

Err, I think I'll just stick with the LEGO product upcoming that isn't a virtual copy of the Disney Infinity set already in my living room, and that actually is trying something new without trying to send my funds to the graveyard: AHem! 220px-LJWBoxartRegions_239.png

Err, I think I'll just stick with the LEGO product upcoming that isn't a virtual copy of the Disney Infinity set already in my living room, and that actually is trying something new without trying to send my funds to the graveyard: AHem! 220px-LJWBoxartRegions_239.png

Whats nice is stuff like this, and independent games will continue happening, since they can easily get the rights for an independent game, but they would get shunned or lose them quickly if they tried to put them into a competitor's crossover

• Thumbs Up 1

My brother was excited for the game until I pointed out the portal to him. He then proceeded to fall on his knees and yell "Oh come on! NO!!!!!!!!"

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, this is BS. The games/characters come to life motif is going to face a quick and sudden end. I have not bought Skylanders, I won't buy Infinity (my wife will probably play a bit on her parent's copy), and I won't get this, either. I will get Amiibo, but only specific ones if I can get a hold of them.

• Thumbs Up 3

tumblr_nmr7j4GlR41u9448qo1_540.png

New world revealed on the Tumblr account, Cloud Cuckoo Land!

I wonder what they're going to do to make it different from The Lego Movie Game, also find it strange there's no level pack with this and Unikitty, Cloud Cuckoo Land without Unikitty would be weird.

Also, the city is confirmed to be Metropolis in the tags for it:

QSSteK7.png

• 2 weeks later...

vBQe6Lq.png

A clearer look at what I assume to be one of the bosses, Two-Face is indeed controlling it.

So, we got him and Riddler, I hope all the DC villains aren't just Batman ones, wouldn't it be cool to have a boss fight with the Reverse Flash in the DeLorean?

• Thumbs Up 1

Here's a little speculation video I found with talks about Chell from Portal and even Doctor Who being in this game.

What?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24_ukuNV_lw

Oh dear... if Doctor Who does end up being in Dimensions (and let's face it, they'd be stupid not to include it once the proper line of figures launch)... moral dilemma time! Do I cave in and pay well over the odds for what will probably end up being the best game to feature the Doctor Who license, or do I do the sensible thing and stick to using my imagination and crossing my fingers for a true Doctor Who game at some point down the line?

My heart, she says yes... but my wallet, she cries for mercy!

:lol:

They are doing a Doctor Who LEGO set so I wouldn't be surprised if The Doctor ended up in the game. I would probably buy the game just for that.