Awoo.

Dissidia Final Fantasy Arcade/NT (Arcade since 2015, January 2018 for PS4)

Teoskaven

Here's his moveset analysis:

It's a mixture of moves from the Squire, Monk and Samurai classes from the original Tactics (plus Holy, from the White Mage class).

I personally love the fact that they actually found a way to incoroporate the Stone Throw move (wich was kind of a joke in the original game) and make it useful.

Also, that Antipyretic remix.

• Thumbs Up 1

55 minutes ago, Chosen Undeadskaven said:

I personally love the fact that they actually found a way to incoroporate the Stone Throw move (wich was kind of a joke in the original game) and make it useful.

Haha, yep. Me too.

That was the last thing I would expect too. But who knows, maybe it is still a joke move that does a miniscule amount of bravery damage.

He sounds very familiar... Anyone know who voices him? He sounds like either Link or someone from Inazuma Eleven.

On 2/2/2016 at 3:05 AM, DBZHedgy said:

I'm sure it's nothing against Marche personally, but Ramza is a lot more recognizable than Marche, or Luso for that matter (Protag of FFTA2).

Also, thinking that FFTA1/2 were mostly Nintendo handheld exclusives for the most part and not Sony.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, DBZHedgy said:

But who knows, maybe it is still a joke move that does a miniscule amount of bravery damage.

Even so, from the looks of it seems still useful: it's a fast projectile, travels far, staggers the target and can be charged, with the only drawback to be a ground-only move. Wich kind of make sense since in the original Tactics only attack power and accuracy mattered while in an action game like this, your mobility is everything.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...

First, we got a new stage: the Alexandria main plaza from Final Fantasy IX (plus a remix of Swords of Fury).

Second, the next new character is gonna be revealed on April 13th in a new stream, and it's apparently a Chaos-based character. Most speculations are going over Garland or Sephiroth.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

And the newest character revealed is... Garland, returning on April 21st with a full-blown redesign with so many golden details that makes him look like a gangsta:

l_570e52d837dca.jpg

In order to reinforce his connection with Chaos and the 4 archdemons, each of his attacks has elemental powers now: the axe is Earth (Lich), the twin blade are Fire (Marilith), the whip is Water (Kraken) and the lance is Thunder (Tiamath). He also has different "charges" that make him more powerful, and he obtains them either by attacking or using a grab move.

Also, we're getting the soundtrack of the game, palette swaps costumes for Ramza (the Corpse Brigade one is so unintentionally funny) and, surprise surprise, different weapon skins for each character, with more to come in the future!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cf6255cUYAMBWt4.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cf63LAMUYAEkCFG.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cf63TMXUUAEH3AD.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cf63c1UUIAMl4jw.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cf63nAdUIAAFEOE.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cf63t3TUsAEY12x.jpg

Garland himself is getting already a weapon skin, based on his 2nd alternate costume from 012:

Cf7DPyrUYAAeQab.jpg

So yeah, lots of new stuff, but i hope the pacing of the new characters will be faster, or else we'll be here in 2018 with all the veterans to still have to be released.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...

Alright, updates: first, we got a new summon in the form of Alexander, a.k.a. medieval Gundam (along with a general revamp for all the other summons).

Next, we have our newest character announced: everyone's favourite psycho jester, Kefka Palazzo from Final Fantasy VI.

5770d0229cfd2.jpg

His new moveset is hilarious to say the least (and quite original honestly, compared to the other spell-users).

He also has a dash move where he literally sets his ass on fire just so he can sprint.

I am so not kidding.

Here's the moveset analysis:

Also, there's a small schedule for the rest of the summer: July's update will have another new character (only thing we know is that it's speed-type and is from Cosmos' faction), while August will have a new stage and new alternate costumes.

Cl9ooz_UkAEz3xD.jpg:large

While slowly, the game is finally growing more and more: hopefully the console version announcement will be near.

Yeah, it is slower than expected. I was kinda hoping they'd be releasing characters more quickly, because we still don't have everyone from Dissidia 012 yet, let alone more new characters.

With Kefka now and a new character in July, that was starting to look better, maybe we'd get one character a month, but now there's no character in August. And they said they wanted to get up to 50 added.

Who's going to be a Y'shtola main? She's my girl for sure. Be really neat if she got her Heavensward outfit and her miner outfit in the game. 

• 4 weeks later...

He looks ok, but he hasn't a lot of new moves: the moveset seems copypasted from 012 with slight tweaks in order to make him feat the new gameplay style.

Nontheless, i'm ok with it. Now, the next update in August will bring a new stage and new costumes: the titles who're currently missing a stage are II, III, IV, VIII, XI, XII, XIV and Tactics, so look forward for one of those.

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, here's the update (coming officially on arcade machines on the 18 of this month).

The new arena is the Porta Decumana from Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (basically, where you fight the Ultima Weapon at the end of the base game):

Next, the costumes: unlike the previous batch, these ones are not simple palette swaps. A lot of them come from 012, but there are some surprises. In order:

Warrior of Light: Classic NES Warrior

Garland: White palette swap with bigger eyes, similar to his previous games' EX Mode

Firion: One of the countless artworks Yoshitaka Amano made of him

Onion Knight: a mix between Luneth and the nameless warrior from the original FFIII artwork
Cecil: the costumes of the FFIV DS intro, both for Paladin and for Dark Knight

Kain: Holy Dragoon from The After Years

Bartz: original FFV costume plus red cape

Terra: in-game design with more bright red cloth and green hair

Kefka: one of the countles artworks Yoshitaka Amano made of him

Cloud: Advent Children costume, complete with Fusion Sword
Squall: SeeD cadet uniform
Zidane: Pluto Knight disguise from the beginning of FFIX
Tidus: classic costume from FFX
Shantotto: similar to the Black Cloak from 012 plus the disguise costume from Treasures of Aht Urhgan

Vaan: shirt design from Final Fantasy Tactics A2

Lightning: Goddess' Champion costume from FFXIII-2
Y'Shtola: costume from Heavensward
Ramza: turtle black armour from the later chapters of FFT

With all this HD, these costumes are so beautiful to look at, i'm truly amazed.

But that's not all! On 27th of this month, there will be an event where Nomura himself will attend and will present the next character to be introduced, and apparently it's someone who has never been in a Dissidia game before. Who could it be?

-inb4 Noctis-

Noctis or Sora/Riku would make me soooo happy.

as for the costumes, hoping when it goes to PS4 there'll be more to get. I'd love to see Cloud and Squall's KH1 outfits in HD, and I prefer Lightning's LR outfit to herb13-2 one(mainly out of spite for 13-2, but still)

I think the new character is probably just Noctis. Considering how long the delays between characters have been, by the time Noctis is released FFXV will have been out already. I do NOT see Sora or Riku being added to Dissidia unfortunately.

Idk, with the franchise originally being a KH spinoff idea, and requests for Sora being high, maybe DLC. I mean he's got a much better shot here than in Smash 4. I mean he can't just be doomed to be locked to strictly KH. Especially with KH3 on the horizon. It would be money.

9 hours ago, KHCast said:

Idk, with the franchise originally being a KH spinoff idea, and requests for Sora being high, maybe DLC. I mean he's got a much better shot here than in Smash 4. I mean he can't just be doomed to be locked to strictly KH. Especially with KH3 on the horizon. It would be money.

The fact that Dissidia was planned to be KH and it had to be scrapped is a good reason to expect Sora won't be able to be added to Dissidia now.

In any case, I was very certain Nomura stated Dissidia would be FF only in the past anyway. Also, there's tons of potential problem factors involved in getting Sora into this kind of game that no FF characters have. One major hurdle is Sora's questionable ownership status, as he may at least partly be owned by Disney, if not wholly.

If he's not wholly owned by Disney or Square Enix, that's undoubtedly the primary factor in why he's restricted to just KH games. Both parties need to be involved.

It doesn't matter how much money it would make. Disney would have to want to allow him to be in it, and that alone is the primary factor.

If Sora manages to make it in, great. But the deck is stacked against him astronomically because of all the factors surrounding him. We shouldn't expect anyone who didn't appear in a Final Fantasy game, and even if we did get someone not from Final Fantasy, it'd more likely be from properties wholly owned by Square Enix.

It didn't HAVE to be scrapped, Square literally assumed Disney wouldn't be okay with it, when hilariously, they would have and were even working on a Disney brawler of sorts apparently.

And we're going off this assumption that Disney would simply be an asshole and say no to Sora showing up in something outside KH or something they make. And we don't fully understand the legal allowances and restrictions or even ownership status of the franchise. If it's co-owned and Nomura asked Disney, I would assume Disney would at least reasonably think things through and discuss with square the benefits and rules of he were to be considered.(perhaps couldn't use the kingdom key due to the Mickey keychain, certain costumes couldn't be used die to the disney association like Halloween town Sora.) We already saw KH Cloud and Sephiroth get in Dissidia, so Disney has already I assumed had some dealings regarding this I assume since those incarnations are KH exclusive, and would be down to negotiate. They're a business with much experience, and while they have a nasty history, it's usually with franchises and characters they fully own. 

Basically, from a marketing and business perspective if KH was a co-owned franchise, I don't see how the negatives could outweigh the positives in including him in a inhouse Square project. Unless we really know full on the legal restrictions, there's no telling where  this could go.

I'd love to see Sora, but I remember hearing way back that they weren't adding any Square Enix characters that aren't from Final Fantasy... Unless they just meant in the base game, i.e., not including DLC.

They could do a similar thing like Nintendo did with the Smash poll, and let fans vote regarding DLC if they do it. And if Sora is one of the top choices, if it's within reason, perhaps he could get in. That seems like the best way to give him a shot imo. If Smash can get Cloud, I'm gonna have some level of hope of the possibility 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, with the stream today, three big announcements were made:

*First, the two new gods that will take the place of Cosmos and Chaos: in the blue order corner, the goddes of the unwatchable outfit, Materia! And in the red discord corner, the fusion between Xande and Jecht, Spiritus!

Cq23FLeVMAA_XcT.jpg:large

They'll be involved for now in monthly faction events, but it's pretty clear they're gonna be playable someday.

*Second, the new character: although it doesn't have a release date yet it's probably gonna be soon enough. Give a round of applause to the poster boy of Type-0, Ace!

Cq3CRa_VMAEfvBA.jpg

*Third, but not less important: there's gonna be a spin-off mobile (Ios/Android) game called Dissidia Final Fantasy Opera Omnia. It will be turn based (with some action elements), and will involve a lot of characters that were not present in the games, like Vivi, Sazh, Seymour, Yda and more.

It has only a japanese release date so far, but i'm somewhat confident it will be localized.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm getting a few Ansem Seeker of Darkness vibes from Spiritus.  Also, could Materia potentially be a playable version of the pre-established FFVII Goddess Minerva?  That was the first thing that struck me when I saw her name.

Also, did anyone notice that Spiritus' hakama has Firaga and Blizzaga embroided into it?

• 5 weeks later...

Here's Ace full trailer:

Anyone who played Type-0 that can recognize his skills?

But yeah, he's the September update: basically, Square held a contest using Spiritus and Materia and the side that won was allowed to try Ace before release.

The next character is gonna be revealed though... in November, and the October update doesn't look that promising because it will mainly consist in a rework of the FFXIII stage (it was considered too clunky in competitive play so they had to remove it from there). Hopefully they'll throw some extra like new weapon skins or a new summon, because the pace is getting slow again.