Awoo.

Sonic Generations 2 Discussion Thread: Wishes and Hopes

Diamond Sonic

No offence, but I'm sick of people saying I can't take a different opinion

You are completely entitled to a different opinion and I haven't seen anybody say otherwise yet. 

I've been trying to defend why this game should exist for 3 pages, directly responding to other people, and we've gotten nowhere because most people are dead-set that there shouldn't be a Generations 2 and won't even discuss my hypothetical ideas. We aren't discussing Generations 2. We are discussing if it should exist, which isn't what the thread is about. 

The thread's titled "Sonic Generations 2 Discussion Thread: Wishes and Hopes". People discussing whether or not it should exist is discussing Generations 2 as conversation is directly about that game. By extension, their "wishes and hopes" is that it doesn't happen. It certainly seems a vast majority of people don't want a Generations 2 yet, myself included, hence why they've spent the time explaining why they don't want it. It might not be the area of conversation you wanted but on a public forum you have to expect this.

People aren't going to contribute ideas to something their against. If someone asked you to do a robbery with them and you say no, you wouldn't then start drawing up plans as to how the person could pull it off. 

For most people it's just too soon. You're right, a Gens 2 could be done better than the first one but we've only just done it. Ignoring Boom we've had Lost World and that's it for the main 3D series. At this point people are wanting SEGA to contribute new, but at their core consistent, experiences. If Sonic is to be this huge relevant series again then he needs to up his game and push forward, looking back will not take him anywhere. Further down the line a Gens 2 could be more viable, following on from a line of successful content, but now is not the time.

You are completely entitled to a different opinion and I haven't seen anybody say otherwise yet. 

I meant that people say I can't listen to other people.

I meant that people say I can't listen to other people.

Honestly, but when you come off as though you're ignoring their points on top of being unsympathetic to what they'd like out of something, what are they suppose to think?

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly, but when you come off as though you're ignoring their points on top of being unsympathetic to what they'd like out of something, what are they suppose to think?

But I'm not ignoring people's posts, I've been discussing them at length for the past 3 pages! I just get irritated because this is an all too common trend I've suffered from around here. I come up with an idea, one that's really not that radical, and then everyone jumps in and shoots down the idea for the exact same reason and don't even go into what the thread actually wants to discuss or really address my own OP at all. Then, people have the gall to all jump together and say I don't listen to anyone because I don't get beat into submission. Like, what  :wacko: .

This thread is about what Generations 2 could bring to the table and yet literally every post has either been that Generations 2 shouldn't even happen or that people should stop asking for it. Like, okay, I get that some people don't want Generations 2 but do I really need to be told that I shouldn't even discuss it and essentially spam the thread up? I'm happy for people to discuss ideas for Generations 2 that I don't personally want but it's just irritating that no one discusses ideas for Generations 2 at all and just shoot down the whole concept, especially since the exact same thing has happened in every thread I've made.

If people are sick of hearing about Generations 2 they could just...not enter the thread?

The thread-whining fucking stops. If people don't want a Generations 2 or don't agree with your ideas for one, they're free to argue that in a thread concerning a completely hypothetical sequel. No one as I've seen has overreacted or attacked you either. We've gone over this time and time again: Disagreement and arguing against something are not personal slights.

People here are not enthusiastic about Generations anymore. You're going to have to understand and reconcile that now and in future threads, particularly by wording them in a way that only follows positive discussion if that's what you're seeking (we do allow this.)

But in short, the meta discussion about how the thread is going and how people are acting stops as of now, and literally one more post addressing it (that includes quoting me with anything beyond confirmation that you understand this) will get this thread locked.

• Thumbs Up 1

But in short, the meta discussion about how the thread is going and how people are acting stops as of now, and literally one more post addressing it (that includes quoting me with anything beyond confirmation that you understand this) will get this thread locked.

Okay, I understand.

Sorry  :wub:

At this point, I"m not interested in having a Sonic Generations 2. Any ideas that I'd want to see happening (that aren't just remaking stages, like with the first game) would be better served in a new game altogether. In addition, I"m just tired of the seemingly constant appeals to nostalgia that the series has been indulging in lately--it just comes off as it being "stuck in the past" and not wanting to advance. I want new stuff to experience nostalgia for at some future date, and a game like this just won't do it for me.

That's it. There's no deeper meaning to this. I'm just not hip to the idea of any Sonic Generations 2 for personal reasons.

• Thumbs Up 1

While true, there's something more blatant about Windy Hill over Emerald Hill. It could be the use of checkered ground, but Seaside uses the checkered ground and doesn't feel entirely unoriginal.

Maybe it's also the Motobugs, but something just feels like it's trying to scream "HEY GUYS IT'S GREEN HILL ZONE"

Even so, I don't think its really fair to call it a rehash in this case. Its more of an homage than anything, which I'll admit they do a little too much of as of late but there's nothing inherently wrong with it either.

• Thumbs Up 1

Homages are fine in moderation. As are rehashes. But they have to be done very spaced out. When done constantly, your audience becomes aware of what you are doing.

Problem is that Sonic has been doing it a lot lately and in a very short time period. I'd have no problem with Generation's rehashes if it were alone. I certainly didn't complain about getting to play through a new Chemical Plant Zone. I would complain if there was another Chemical Plant Zone in the near future.

You're right, technically speaking, Windy Hill Zone isn't Green Hill, it's not a literal rehash. Neither is Splash Hill. But it's painfully obvious what their goal is. It's the same as if it were a literal Green Hill Zone. It's meant to ride the nostalgia train of it being Green Hill. And people will eventually tire of it.

I'd be more open to the idea of a Generations successor if more time has passed, say around the 30/40/50th anniversary if the series manages to survive that long. Having it done now, what stage possibilities would there be considering only one main series title has been released in the five years since Generations came out?

I mean, its not really as much as you claim it is anyway.

Emerald Hill Zone - 1992

Seaside Hill Zone - 2004

Sunset Hill Zone - 2004

Splash Hill Zone - 2010

Windy Hill Zone - 2013

Sonic Heroes and Sonic Advance 3 were really the only times they got overly dumb about it. I'd stretch to call Generations a "rehash" considering its supposed to be a celebration and ya know, its kind of justified. That and its the actual Green Hill Zone and not a stage designed like it.

Emerald Hill Zone - 1992

Seaside Hill Zone - 2004

Sunset Hill Zone - 2004

Splash Hill Zone - 2010

Windy Hill Zone - 2013

Sonic Heroes and Sonic Advance 3 were really the only times they got overly dumb about it. I'd stretch to call Generations a "rehash" considering its supposed to be a celebration and ya know, its kind of justified. That and its the actual Green Hill Zone and not a stage designed like it.

I think the problem is that these zones tend to show up a fair bit in the spin-off games as well, making their presence much more expanded in the series as a whole, Seaside Hill being the worst offender and Windy Hill well on it's way to repeating that.

Emerald Hill Zone - 1992

Seaside Hill Zone - 2004

Sunset Hill Zone - 2004

Splash Hill Zone - 2010

Windy Hill Zone - 2013

I mean, I dunno if you wanna count it, but:

Green Hill - 2002 (SA2:B )

Neo Green Hill - 2002 (Advance 1)

Green Hill - 2004 (Battle)

I mean, Green Hill's been used a lot, you could argue Palmtree Panic, Green Grove, hell, Forest Falls.

I don't know, it seems a little unfair to count Seaside Hill considering it takes place on a beach area and only uses some of the Green Hill Textures. It'd be like calling SSMB a rehash of Green Hill because the background is similar to the Green Hill block texture.

Still though, I do agree that Green Hill is a bit overused, although due to the new spin that's been added in Lost World with the planet hopping and all that, It's not as bad as things like Neo Green Hill.

Why call Seaside Hill a worst offender if they basically said that heroes was slightly a nod to the classic games

I think the problem is that these zones tend to show up a fair bit in the spin-off games as well, making their presence much more expanded in the series as a whole, Seaside Hill being the worst offender and Windy Hill well on it's way to repeating that.

Which Spin offs are we referring to?

If we're gonna pander to nostalgia I'd take an SA1 remake over Generations 2 any day

If we get a Sonic Adventure remake for Sonic's 25/30th/whatever Anniversary with new bonus features, the graphics of Generations times 10 and much better looking cutscenes like this one (albeit with new voice acting and better audio mixing);

Hell yea I'd much rather see that than a Gens sequel!

If we're gonna pander to nostalgia I'd take an SA1 remake over Generations 2 any day

The problem with that is that whilst Sonic has good levels, most the bosses are tripe, the minigames are naff aside from the Snowboarding (Sky Chase being repeated four times comes to mind) and all the alternate playstyles are rubbish other than Tails. I'd rather not see SA1 remade because of that. Well, unless you remove all the alternate playstyles or drastically change them and redesign the levels.

That said, I would like to see the Sonic Adventure Sonic style levels come back and have a whole game dedicated to them. That would be pretty cool.

The problem with that is that whilst Sonic has good levels, most the bosses are tripe, the minigames are naff aside from the Snowboarding (Sky Chase being repeated four times comes to mind) and all the alternate playstyles are rubbish other than Tails. I'd rather not see SA1 remade because of that. Well, unless you remove all the alternate playstyles or drastically change them and redesign the levels.

I presume that would be the whole point of this hypothetical Sonic Adventure remake: to have a second chance at making all of its components, even the non-Sonic bits, good.

• Thumbs Up 2

But if you disagree with the very core of certain bits, no amount of remaking them will make you perceive them as good. I don't even mind it that much, but imagine if someone doesn't like the fishing bits because they run contrary to the Sonic philosophy. Fishing, at its core, will always run counter to it, so that's not something that can be fixed.

• Thumbs Up 1

I presume that would be the whole point of this hypothetical Sonic Adventure remake: to have a second chance at making all of its components, even the non-Sonic bits, good.

There's merit in that but some of the alternate playstyles are inherently flawed. Treasure Hunting as Knuckles is boring whatever way you spin it, Gamma's gameplay is out of place, you could potentially salvage Amy's gameplay if you remove all the stealth aspects and drastically speed her up but what could you possibly do with Big aside from either removing him entirely or totally remove his fishing gimmick? A remake would have to try to stay faithful to the original Sonic Adventure and I don't think you can fix the alternate playstyles whilst still remaining faithful to the original. 

Which Spin offs are we referring to?

Seaside Hill has appeared in both All-Stars Racing games, Mario & Sonic, and Sonic Dash, as well as being used as background for numerous promotional banners and such as a locale.  Windy Hill has now appeared in both Smash Bros and Sonic Runners (though the latter is using Lost World locations in general it seems).

They don't sound like much written down, but for many people, if a spin-off is going to re-use locations from main series games, once one has been used once you kind of hope for it not to be used a second, third or fourth time.

• Thumbs Up 1

But if you disagree with the very core of certain bits, no amount of remaking them will make you perceive them as good. I don't even mind it that much, but imagine if someone doesn't like the fishing bits because they run contrary to the Sonic philosophy. Fishing, at its core, will always run counter to it, so that's not something that can be fixed.

Who ever said a remake is obligated to be structured in the exact same way? Simply turning Big's levels into minor optional minigames scattered around the world and making him a comic relief recurring character in the other stories would be totally fine. Or even going back to the original idea of giving him more traditional style levels.

There's merit in that but some of the alternate playstyles are inherently flawed. Treasure Hunting as Knuckles is boring whatever way you spin it, Gamma's gameplay is out of place, you could potentially salvage Amy's gameplay if you remove all the stealth aspects and drastically speed her up but what could you possibly do with Big aside from either removing him entirely or totally remove his fishing gimmick? A remake would have to try to stay faithful to the original Sonic Adventure and I don't think you can fix the alternate playstyles whilst still remaining faithful to the original. 

I disagree with the premise that a full blown remake has to be faithful to the game design decisions of a game that came out over fifteen years ago on hardware dozens of times weaker than my phone.

• Thumbs Up 7