Awoo.

DC Extended Universe Thread | Wonder Woman | June 2nd, 2017

Brad

You realize the normal bat suit is in the movie, right? We've already seen it. The armor is just to fight Superman.

• Thumbs Up 2

You realize the normal bat suit is in the movie, right? We've already seen it. The armor is just to fight Superman.

I thought that other batsuit was for Suicide Squad?

If you've read the comics, the costume is from The Dark Knight Returns story. How else is a human gonna take on a god? I personally love it, great homage and accurate to the source material. The Batsuit seen on set for Suicide Squad and various other images is his usual Batsuit and is also heavily based off The Dark Knight Returns design. Both look fantastic, and I'm so over this grimdark hate boner people are going for.

Also, thanks to Jacky it's basically confirmed that Affleck will direct and star in a solo Batman flick at some point with Geoff Johns writing. No confirmed release.

• Thumbs Up 5

If you've read the comics, the costume is from The Dark Knight Returns story. How else is a human gonna take on a god? I personally love it, great homage and accurate to the source material. The Batsuit seen on set for Suicide Squad and various other images is his usual Batsuit and is also heavily based off The Dark Knight Returns design. Both look fantastic, and I'm so over this grimdark hate boner people are going for.

Also, thanks to Jacky it's basically confirmed that Affleck will direct and star in a solo Batman flick at some point with Geoff Johns writing. No confirmed release.

• Thumbs Up 1

Any excitement I felt when hearing Affleck would direct has been torpedoed by having Geoff as a writer. Even if I can overlook his involvement in the Green Lantern movie his current output in comics is uninspired and full of reused concepts of his previous works.

Edit: Well that and his wrong love of vanilla versions of Super heroes. Wally & John > Barry & Hal

If you find the idea bland and generic, I guess there's nothing to do of it since it is going to be inspired from the comic book story. If you didn't enjoy the original it's not gonna change anything on the big screen. I'm all for something that doesn't involve kryptonite as the solution to everything and watching Batman be able to punch the shit out of Superman with his (mostly) bare hands.

I thought the only flaw with Man of Steel is it needed a bit more character development, a bit more colour in the beautiful cinematography, and that final city scene which while thrilling felt ridiculously over the top. But even now, we know that happened purposely to set up the events of this movie. It's the driving conflict which causes the showdown to happen. 

I think DC has fantastic potential in movies. The Dark Knight trilogy is one of my favourite of all comic book movies. They have a fantastic roster of heroes and especially villains.

• Thumbs Up 4

If you find the idea bland and generic, I guess there's nothing to do of it since it is going to be inspired from the comic book story. If you didn't enjoy the original it's not gonna change anything on the big screen. I'm all for something that doesn't involve kryptonite as the solution to everything and watching Batman be able to punch the shit out of Superman with his (mostly) bare hands.

I thought the only flaw with Man of Steel is it needed a bit more character development, a bit more colour in the beautiful cinematography, and that final city scene which while thrilling felt ridiculously over the top. But even now, we know that happened purposely to set up the events of this movie. It's the driving conflict which causes the showdown to happen. 

I think DC has fantastic potential in movies. The Dark Knight trilogy is one of my favourite of all comic book movies. They have a fantastic roster of heroes and especially villains.

Well if they use a specific part of the Dark Knight Returns final battle in the movie... (Dark Knight Rises Spoilers below)

The part where Green Arrow shoots a kryptonite arrow at Superman to weaken him for Batman to finish him. In that case it will involve kryptonite, lol. 

New trailer is out and I actually liked it. Those Death in the Family, Dark Night Returns, early Superman comics and movies references. Wonder Woman looking a bit better in motion. The red capes are coming!

• Thumbs Up 5

I AM SO EXCITED YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW WSFOEIGDHOSDHGFSDGDOIGJSOIGHSDOG. 

Ahem. Yes. Looks good.

• Thumbs Up 1

Trailer was really cool. I really like that they chose to have had Batman around for a long time.

Aaaaaand, I'm officially hyped! And I'm really interested in knowing what they're gonna do with Zods body. 

It looks so fucking awesome wow wow wow I CAN'T WAITTTTTTT 

So many intriguing scenes in that trailer, this movie looks packed, in a good way. I hope it's like 4 hours long. I love them actually dealing with some of the complaints of MOS regarding the level of destruction head on.  Affleck looks amazing and i really think he's got the right amount of intensity needed for Bruce/Batman. Wonder Woman the queen looks like she slays, just from her like 5 seconds, they nailed her. I'm digging the younger, snarky asshole that is Eisenberg as Luthor.  Fight scenes look so so so dope as well. I am in love with the look of the film just as well, looks exactly like a comic brought to life 

tumblr_nrc8txAL0Z1qzco77o2_500.gif
tumblr_nrc8jbswkY1s6z4zdo2_500.gif
tumblr_nrc8jbswkY1s6z4zdo1_500.gif
tumblr_nrc8jbswkY1s6z4zdo3_500.gif

On the subject of dope shit, the Suicide Squad trailer was shown at Comic Con as well, but it hasn't officially been released yet so enjoy the cam footage.
https://vid.me/e/NHC9

It looks just as amazing as the BvS footage, maybe even better. What we see of Margot as Harley and Leto as Joker, is on point, Margot seems to be nailing Harley's mannerisms, i love that part with her pretending the baseball bat is a gun. Leto makes for an absolutely terrifying Joker, that laugh is perfection, i think he's truly gonna do a great job with this role, and make it his own.  Fresh Prince looks cool as Deadshot, and Viola Davis seems to make for a commanding and stern Amanda Waller. I like how the trailer is very somber and gritty, but if you really look at, is subtly humorous in a twisted and sick sort of way.  The song is actually a cover of a Bee Gees song, the aforementioned scene with Harley and the bat, there are scenes of gunmen robbing places while wearing panda masks, Batman hanging off of Joker's neon car, the official movie logo having a lil smiley face etched in it, all seems very darkly fun. 

Can not wait for both movies, and this DC universe is loooooking pretty dang promising

• Thumbs Up 5

It looks so fucking awesome wow wow wow I CAN'T WAITTTTTTT 

So many intriguing scenes in that trailer, this movie looks packed, in a good way. I hope it's like 4 hours long. I love them actually dealing with some of the complaints of MOS regarding the level of destruction head on.  Affleck looks amazing and i really think he's got the right amount of intensity needed for Bruce/Batman. Wonder Woman the queen looks like she slays, just from her like 5 seconds, they nailed her. I'm digging the younger, snarky asshole that is Eisenberg as Luthor.  Fight scenes look so so so dope as well. I am in love with the look of the film just as well, looks exactly like a comic brought to life 

tumblr_nrc8txAL0Z1qzco77o2_500.gif
tumblr_nrc8jbswkY1s6z4zdo2_500.gif
tumblr_nrc8jbswkY1s6z4zdo1_500.gif
tumblr_nrc8jbswkY1s6z4zdo3_500.gif

On the subject of dope shit, the Suicide Squad trailer was shown at Comic Con as well, but it hasn't officially been released yet so enjoy the cam footage.
https://vid.me/e/NHC9

It looks just as amazing as the BvS footage, maybe even better. What we see of Margot as Harley and Leto as Joker, is on point, Margot seems to be nailing Harley's mannerisms, i love that part with her pretending the baseball bat is a gun. Leto makes for an absolutely terrifying Joker, that laugh is perfection, i think he's truly gonna do a great job with this role, and make it his own.  Fresh Prince looks cool as Deadshot, and Viola Davis seems to make for a commanding and stern Amanda Waller. I like how the trailer is very somber and gritty, but if you really look at, is subtly humorous in a twisted and sick sort of way.  The song is actually a cover of a Bee Gees song, the aforementioned scene with Harley and the bat, there are scenes of gunmen robbing places while wearing panda masks, Batman hanging off of Joker's neon car, the official movie logo having a lil smiley face etched in it, all seems very darkly fun. 

Can not wait for both movies, and this DC universe is loooooking pretty dang promising

Looking at that Suicide Squad trailer, I have no idea what way they're trying to portray the film. We have Amanda Walker and all this big epic serious music that DC loves to use in Live Action films, only to cut into Harley being her usual crazy bubbly self and them wearing Batman/Panda suits with guns. 

That said, I'm feeling optimistic about Suicide Squad. I've already voiced my distaste towards DC's Live Action movies due to how try hard serious and dark everything seems to be (a problem I'm seeing with Batman V Superman) but here, this looks like a step in the right direction. A serious movie but with the characters bringing in a bit of humor or off the wall situations.

If I have one complaint about Suicide Squad, I just can't get used to Joker's design. It just looks nothing like how the Joker would act, and he especially wouldn't get a bunch of stupid tattoos around him. It's a shame as well, because from what we hear at the end of the trailer, he actually sounds like he does a good job with the Joker's voice and personality, but the design just isn't good.

As for the Batman V Superman trailer....meh. It's still displaying my usual issues with DC Live Action movies. I'll give them credit that it's good they're diving into the common issues brought up from Man of Steel, but personally, I hate how try hard it still feels. On top of that, the trailer's displaying story beats from Man of Steel which I really didn't like, especially characters who keep making speeches about how Superman is special and all this that and other. It's annoying.

I'll give them credit though, Wonder Woman looks pretty good in action, but I hope they give her a fair slice of the story, rather than just haphazardly throwing her in there just to say ''WE'VE GOT THE BIG THREE IN OUR MOVIE! :DDDDDDD'' 

• Thumbs Up 2

On top of that, the trailer's displaying story beats from Man of Steel which I really didn't like, especially characters who keep making speeches about how Superman is special and all this that and other. It's annoying.

Yeah I really didn't like this either. Especially when Martha Kent of all people was telling him that he doesn't owe anyone anything, that just seems incredibly out of character coming from her.

And I agree about Suicide Squad, I'm really wanting to like the movie but the music is completely at odds to how the film should've come across. I honestly think a GotG style of music would've benefited it more, it would've played more to the film's strengths. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Hoooooly shit. Okay, I won't lie, Man of Steel had me worried about this universe was gonna go, but this one is looking great so far. The action and special effects look even better than expected and even the story looks interesting even if it's a bit clusterfuck-ish. I enjoyed Age of Ultron despite the crazy story so I'm sure I'll like this too. Can't wait.

Superman just tearing apart the Batmobile at the end.....hnnnng

• Thumbs Up 1

Personally, I'm glad that they took The Joker in this direction. Sure, I feel like The Joker particularly needed to have that forehead tattoo, but at least they're trying to do their own thing with this interpretation. They're a bit over the top in that regard, but I don't want Leto's Joker to be an exact replica of anything we've seen on film. Also, Jared Leto's a great actor; so his state as a known quantity will likely influence for the better. I wish more people were able to give both Batman V. Superman and Suicide Squad a chance to create a positive impression. As much as I like Marvel and the films, for the most part, in their universe, I personally prefer a possibly darker atmosphere from the conventional fare. I want more grit and darkness.  I'm tired of bright colors and incessant jokes. That isn't to throw shade at Marvel. They're fine doing what they do. I'm just tired of their approach to movies. Truthfully speaking, I want both shared, cinematic universes to generate box office success. Honestly, it's my belief that DC doesn't need to travel down the same road as Marvel in order to hit their target. These two distinct perspectives can easily coexist. 

Edited by Killtank

Both movies look really good TBH. Man of Steel looked good in trailers though and it seems like they're trying to cram an awful lot into BvS so I still have worries but I'm cautiously optimistic. Like how they're trying to tackle one of Man Of Steel's flaws (destructive finale on superman's part) head on with BvS. 

"I started a joke, which started the whole world crying,

but I didn't see that the joke was on me, oh no.

I started to cry, which started the whole world laughing,

oh, if I'd only seen that the joke was on me."

Ahhh, so cool. I hope Harley has her accent, I can't tell from the trailer. Joker looks so much more promising now we've seen just a little bit of him in action. I hope he's super wacky but menacing all at once.

• 3 months later...

We have a better look at Joker, courtesy of Empire:

Empire Jared Leto Joker Cover

and here's a little interview with Comic Book Movie:

MpELm3L.jpg

"I was just thinking that the Joker would probably just say, 'F**k you,' and hang up," Jared Leto responded when Empire Magazine caught up with the actor to talk about his role as The Joker inSuicide Squad for the very first time. The actor is of course very familiar with what goes on in the head of the Clown Prince of Crime, especially as he never broke character during the shoot, something which led to him tormenting his fellow cast members in unique ways. For Jim Parrack (who plays The Joker's henchman, Jonny Frost) that included random calls throughout the day, with orders to spray paint roses black and filling a backpack with nine inch nails. "There was definitely a period of...detachment," Leto explains. "I took a pretty deep dive. But this was a unique opportunity and I couldn't imagine doing it another way. It was fun, playing those psychological games. But at the same time it was very painful, like giving birth out of my prick hole."

Revealing that he listened to 1920s gospel music and read literature on shamans while playing The Joker, Leto offered some interesting insight into this take on the villain when he said, "I always get the sense that The Joker may be much older than people think. It's something different. If you don't break rules, you're not going to strike new ground. I think I'll be cooling down for the rest of my life." Suicide Squad producer Charles Roven also chimed in by revealing that the villain's dress sense has been inspired by Mexican cartels, while he's now, "More social...a very successful and smart businessman besides being a sociopath." Director David Ayer meanwhile had this to say about how Leto's take on the villain will differ to what's come before on the big screen. "The Joker is the third rail of comic book movies. There's a power to that character, and by some freaking miracle, through the incredible things Jared has done and the photography and all the other millions of things that went into it, we've cooked up something transcendent. He's scary."

It's going to take a lot for me to get on board with this look... The more that we see, the more doubts I have about it. He does look pretty scary in the actual film, at least without the ridiculous pimpcoat and cane...

I read somewhere that that design is him just after escaping from Arkham, explaining his clothes. 

Not loving it but I'll wait until we see his full outfit before I judge.

• Thumbs Up 1