Awoo.

What would make you being excited about Sonic 2016?

Double A

It's odd that even Sonic Generations didn't feature music by Fumie Kumatani. I have a bad feeling she's not around Sega anymore. 8(

I'm dead sure she's not with Sega anymore, especially with Jun being tight-lipped on the matter. Something must have happened that he's not at liberty to disclose.

I'm also becoming worried about Tokoi. He was at least involved in M&S Sochi, but I can't fathom why SLW was a solo effort by Ohtani (and not even his usual style of music) minus cutscene music and a single contribution from Hataya.

I'm infinitely more invested in Sonic soundtracks and composers than the actual games tbh

I'm dead sure she's not with Sega anymore, especially with Jun being tight-lipped on the matter. Something must have happened that he's not at liberty to disclose.

I'm also becoming worried about Tokoi. He was at least involved in M&S Sochi, but I can't fathom why SLW was a solo effort by Ohtani (and not even his usual style of music) minus cutscene music and a single contribution from Hataya.

I'm infinitely more invested in Sonic soundtracks and composers than the actual games tbh

I love Kumatani but I'd take another Naganuma soundtrack (or at least one directed by him) over anything else

too bad he's not an option either because SEGA sucks

1) Sonic Adventure 1 (or Sonic 06) physics + improvements 

2) No floating in space level designerino thank you

3) Decent voice acting, a consistent story, and less cringey dialogue

4) Playable Characters

That's it. I'm sure Sonic Team would vastly improve graphics along the way as well. Even then, I think I'm asking too much out of Sega.

Visuals are a hugely important thing for me. I want it to not look shit. I mean Boom looked pretty fucking terrible as far as I'm concerned. Oh all the concept art for the stages looked nice enough, but the final thing looked like an early to mid-lifetime 360 game. I want something that is more derivative of the art style employed by Sonic Unleashed, which was a sort of Pixar-type look to the scenery and character models.

Everything looked rounded and soft and well textured.

Something like that, but obviously scaled up to what is expected of something on the PS4 or XB1 (and of course it must be 60fps). A visual style along these lines would certainly drive my hype up. Unleashed and Generations are the last of the games I'd say truly blew me away with the artistic direction. Lost World looked nice, but it didn't have quite the same impact to me.

Beyond that, some nice music that is representative of the actual game. No random music that has nothing to do with the game. Sonic Games have rarely disappointed with respect to the soundtrack, so it'd be nice to hear a snippet of what is to be expected. I'm personally hoping for a mixture of the lively catchy traditionally "Sonic-y" music we've come to expect, but I also want some more atmospheric music such as that seen in 06 - stuff like Aquatic Base Level 1. Just to add a little variety.

Gameplay? Hah.

I imagine its something very similar to what Dio or Azoo have in mind. Not much has changed in that respect. I want it to look like there was some reasonable thought put into the movement and terrain. Doesn't need to be anything fancy or overly complex, just an inkling that when you're on a downward slope, you accelerate faster (Opposite for going uphill) or something like that, to indicate that the terrain and its topology actually has a meaningful impact on the way you move/play the game. Aside from that, I hope it looks fun. Fun is more important than anything else.

Finally, I bloody well hope that the premise of the game (i.e the story) isn't stupid. Nothing like LW or Boom. Nothing like any story we've had before, ideally. Something that is obviously well suited to a kids game, but also not needlessly childish. Also, I also want them to do something with the premise, rather than hint at something and then apparently remove all remaining trace of story for fear of offending people with the mere notion that a Sonic game can have a plot.

TL;DR - I want it to look pretty (i.e Unleashed but more, @60Hz), have nice music, look like its fun (but also is doing something with terrain and movement) and not have an absurdly childish or absurdly "edgy" premise.

One final thing. Please. Just be good. Good without any qualifying statements such as "Its good.....for a Sonic game" or some such bullshit.

I am asking for a lot, so it probably won't happen. 

:(
  • Thumbs Up 5

A good story premise would honestly make me a bit curious. I dont think gameplay has been an issue with the latest titles and they still dont realy interest me. I would like the next game to take itself seriously. I want it to excite me but most of all right now i want the characters to believe in their own world and settings. The 4th wall has been broken too much recently.

It would be nice if action would actualy have focus since it is an action game, I would also like Sonics friends to be present ( not everyone but at least 4 ). Sonic going solo has overstayed its welcome and the other characters are far too interesting to pass on.

I would like a graphical update as well, its been awhile in a sonic game when the visuals alone amazed me. And while we are on visuals, a world to explore would be nice. A lot of different interesting locations is always appreciated.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm not sure anything could reignite my interest in Sonic except Adventure 3. I know how typical of an answer that is, but I've found too little to be enjoyed in any Sonic game following Heroes and I've long since stopped caring about the series. I liked the engine on SA/2 best and if they make a third one, it will likely use the same or similar concept or gameplay. That's the kind of Sonic game I'm looking for.

Bring back the boost gameplay that they'd refined so well in Generations, get rid of Pontac / Graff and bring back the writers/ tone/ characterisation/ atmosphere we had in the Storybook games. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Well, if they show something on E3, it better be something else than just CGI trailer. I have learned that it's better not to trust them. They need to show some REAL gameplay footage but because it's Sega, it's very hard to be excited since we know that in terms of rushed, unfinished releases, they are on the same level with Ubisoft (Total War Rome 2, Aliens: Colonial Marines, Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric).

But if those criterias are fulfilled, thing what would make me most excited would be returning to the multiple character format. I just hope that they focus on old ones, whose gameplaystyle works and not try to invent new ones which would remove speed. Honestly, I think that Sonic Teams doesn't need to come up with new playable characters because they haven't even used old one in their full potential.

But if we talk about Sonic's gameplay, well, I have said multiple times that I prefer Adventure style but I wouldn't mind Boost formula too much. I also hope that game would also have deeper plot.

And lastly, I seriously hope that game comes to PS4. I still haven't bought next-gen console but when I buy one, it will be PS4.

Honestly, I'd be excited by just about anything that's a real game at this point, but...  Something visually interesting and unconventional - not necessarily ultra-high-tech, you can be boring on any console - and a story with actual ambition and ideas.

Bring back the boost gameplay that they'd refined so well in Generations, get rid of Pontac / Graff and bring back the writers/ tone/ characterisation/ atmosphere we had in the Storybook games. 

I neither expect this, nor do I particularly want it. In fact, next to them bringing back the tubular levels from Lost World it would probably be one of the most disappointing things they could do. The boost games are so resource heavy. They take such a long time to produce what are ultimately tiny, little games. Unleashed and Generations are loaded with filler as a direct result of it. And on top of that, it doesn't really offer much in the way of innovative or new gameplay because of how limiting "run fast all the time" is. I've seen it all already.

• Thumbs Up 7

A game that has a story where Eggman is the main and competent threat. He doesn't have to get rid of his goofy nature, those two can work hand in hand.

One or two more characters (Extra points for Eggman since I'm biased, this can make the above null, though).

Cheesy rock music again. I'm the type who enjoys cheesy material.

No more forced jokes. I'm under the impression that the jokes in Colors even made kids feel embarrassed for watching it.

Fun hubs.

I would love to see something new and fresh! But that doesn't mean that the loved 'rushig-gameplay' should be abandoned. Maybe the best thing that the Sonic franchise needs now is an exciting and epic story. Something like Sonic Adventure. Characters, battles, skills, mysteries to solve... Not big flying and smiling sinkers. Dacing and singing cactuses.

I acquainted Sonic as an exciting and heroic franchise, not a kids' cartoon. That doesn't mean that Sonic should be cruel or not for children. I just want to see some more action and joy in the series, and I can say Sonic Adventure as an example again. Sonic Boom seems to be a 'let's get some money' project.

Oh yes, I almost forgot, great soundtrack would be the third most important thing. I really miss those good rocking Crush 40 musics...

I hope I didn't hurt anyone with this comment, this is just my opinion. :)

There's no point to me hoping for playable characters and a good story because god knows that'll never happen. So I guess a good, promising looking game will hype me up. Personally, I don't mind the play-style, just make it fun. 

I agree with everything except that. Like BB said, the problem with boost is that it's quite limited and you really can't do much new with it; just boost to make Sonic go faster and reach the end of the stage! I would be annoyed/disappointed if they decided to bring it back in the next Sonic game, because after Gens I got pretty tired of it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd be fine with seeing boost again if the rest of the game is actually complete and doesn't look like its in beta.

Personally I'd just like a game that everyone can enjoy for what it is. I'm not all that distraught over storylines or multiple characters or anything of the sort. Those would be nice to have either fixed or improved on, but I'm not focused on much like that.

Just something that could bring some sort of spark in popularity to Sonic again would be enough for me. He doesn't need to be like a "returning Hollywood star", but just something to get people to talk about him in a brighter outlook.

I get what some of you mean by saying that the boost gameplay has run its course, but personally I'd happily go with a mentality of not fixing what isn't broken.

Sonic Team have an absolutely terrible record with experimentation and more often than not when they try a new idea it just falls flat on its face and is awful. I'd much rather play similar games if it meant they were of similarly consistent quality.

People often chew out various Nintendo franchises (most notably Mario, Zelda and Pokémon) for just rehashing the same basic formula over and over again and never really making any drastic changes, I'd much prefer that to change for the sake of change that more often than not turns out bad.

I think it's time for the Boost gameplay to be left behind.

Sure it's fun, but as people have said there's only so much you can do with it moving forward, it's a pretty shallow experience.

More importantly though, the speed of it makes it horribly uneconomic to develop. Generations took me 3 hours to beat, logically if you halved Sonic's top speed it would have taken me around 6 hours, which immediately is a lot more reasonable for a Sonic game. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Ah, forgot to mention, another element that would make me actually excited would it being actually fully 3D . I'm so, so, so tired 2D. I find the 2D switch extremely intrusive.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Forum Fiend v1.2.9.

• Thumbs Up 1

I really don't want to see another Boost game. I've gotten sick of seeing it when generations was announced.  Don't get me wrong, it looks awesome when your playing it but, as Gatestormer said, it's so shallow. I much rather have Sonic team build up on Lost World's mechanics than going back to boost gameplay. 

Hello again guys! I have been reading your comments and they are really cool. I just want to make sure everyone remember the original question: What kind of content in the TEASER would make you be excited about Sonic 2016? We aren't talking about the game but about the promotional footage so no need to fall into technical discussions about the gameplay; it wouldn't be seen in a teaser. What I'd like to know is what kind of content would make you be hyped for 2016.

I didn't even answered my own question: I'd like to see that the material of the game is back to a proper tone that everyone can enjoy and i'd like to see that the game will happen in the Sonic world. The lastest games are way too sugary and abstract.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's hard to gauge an appropriate answer to that when Sega's actual teasers have been so vague as to warrant very little other than "oh look, a new Sonic game." Literally, they don't show us anything aside from some general elements of the game out of context that you can extrapolate anything from. The whole "Six terrorizing Guardians" idea we got from Lost World's teaser made the game sound a lot more interesting than it actually turned out to be, to me personally. Unless we're talking about gameplay teasers a la Unleashed and Sonic 4, you're asking a near impossible question.

• Thumbs Up 2

Absolutely nothing.

Unless it was direct gameplay like Nep said. There's otherwise not a whole lot for us to talk about pertaining to this question