Awoo.

Star Wars Battlefront - Developed By DICE (2015; PS4, XB1, PC)

Willsy

Those graphics are more than possible on PS4 lol. The preview looks like an in-engine cutscene.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would t be surprised if that preview was an in-engine cutscene. I'm just hoping that the full trailer doesn't just comprise of in-engine cutscenes, and if it is, that they at least spill a lot of details and some screenshots of gameplay. It's apparently being shown to attendees too so we might get some idea of whether it's good or not.

Screenshots and info from Game Informer are outStar%20Wars%20Battlefront%20_4-17_E.jpgStar%20Wars%20Battlefront%20_4-17_F.jpgStar%20Wars%20Battlefront%20_4-17_A.jpgStar%20Wars%20Battlefront%20_4-17_D.jpgStar%20Wars%20Battlefront%20_4-17_C.jpg

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/star_wars_battlefront/b/playstation4/archive/2015/04/17/an-impressive-first-look-at-star-wars-battlefront.aspx

Shots are fired through the treeline toward the rebel troopers, and a squadron of stormtroopers pour out of the woods. Our trooper opens fire, downing several stormtroopers on a hillside. Each kill brings up "killstreak" experience points on the HUD, immediately connecting this game to DICE's other juggernaut franchise, Battlefield.

The laser blast from the Rebel trooper's rifle packs a punch, delivering a brief puff of smoke on the target's torso before the body collapses to the ground. Laser fire rips over head with the familiar flash seen in the original trilogy movies. The Rebel Alliance is making quick work of the stormtrooper onslaught, and is steadily moving forward across Endor's gorgeously realized terrain.

The density of the trees and the slopping landscape they occupy make sight lines difficult, and add intensity to the conflict. The Imperial attacks appear to be uncoordinated, with stormtroopers emerging from the brush with no support, and others in small squadrons of four to five soldiers. The Rebel Alliance, on the other hand, is fully coordinated, working together as a team (which all appear to be human-controlled in the demo).

The Ewok's elaborate village is seen briefly, high up by the tree canopy. An Imperial trooper uses one of the Ewok's bridges as a vantage point, but our trooper, who is now wielding a sniper rifle, takes him out with one nicely placed shot. The rifle spits out a green spherical shot.

The rebels push the fight further into the forest, where our soldier locates a rocket launcher of his own near a log. The rocket launcher is represented as a blue glowing icon, one of many "power-ups" that players can stumble upon in the environment.

When the uplink is established, our rebel trooper orders a bomber strike. Rather than running away to safety, the rebel soldier sprints to the left side of the walker, and then through its legs. As he cuts beneath it, the walker takes a step forward, it's giant feet inches away from achieving a quick kill.

The scale of the walker is impressive, every bit as looming as it was when Luke bravely runs beneath one in The Empire Strikes Back. The sound of the walker's joints is identical to that of the film.

THIRD PERSON IS BACK

At this point, the player controlling the soldier changes the viewpoint from first-person to third, something players can freely do at any time during gameplay. The character model is nicely animated, his head apparently tracking potential enemy movement.

• Thumbs Up 3

That's exclusive for those at the show, the gameplay is.

Unfortunate for us, but we'll sure to be hearing a load of stuff, as well as images and footage, for the gameplay soon.

And yes, that was an interesting panel. Certainly gave us stuff to look forward to, at any rate.

well hoping this and the new movie do well

battlefront 2 was by far one of if not my favorite first/third person shooter haven't been able to play online with it though since the online services went down for it on steam though

lol @ anyone being hyped over bullshots.

It's not going to be 1080p, 60fps, and have the best graphics on the system while rendering huge battlefields and 39 other players. If Naughty Dog can't do it in a single player game, I don't believe EA will be able to.

What I predict?

Unlocked framerate - Constantly below 60, large dips in heavy action

Lower resolution - Possibly 720p, slightly higher for PS4

Lower quality settings - Little Anti Aliasing if any, texture quality lower, etc

lol @ anyone being hyped over bullshots.

It's not going to be 1080p, 60fps, and have the best graphics on the system while rendering huge battlefields and 39 other players. If Naughty Dog can't do it in a single player game, I don't believe EA will be able to.

What I predict?

Unlocked framerate - Constantly below 60, large dips in heavy action

Lower resolution - Possibly 720p, slightly higher for PS4

Lower quality settings - Little Anti Aliasing if any, texture quality lower, etc

Gameplay Impressions:

http://youtu.be/ege4tPDSNoQ

Interesting bits of info:

-60fps

-It was the PS4 version that he saw

-Game apparently looked really good

-No Aim Down Sights in first person, only aim down scope

-Oh, speaking of perspective, THIRD PERSON MODE

-You can visit the Ewok Village on Endor, no Ewoks though

-Blaster bolts and their impact are accurate to the movies

-AT-STs and speeder bikes looked drivable

-HUD is simple, just a small circular radar

-There is no ammo, but there is recharge for you weapon

-The mode shown involves the Rebel team stopping the Imperial AT-AT from getting to the Rebel base. You can call Y-Wing bombers in for ordinance. On the Empire's side, you must advance on the Rebel base.

-DARTH VADER IS PLAYABLE.

I'm really excited for this, but I want to see some gameplay soon. Not because I don't trust these impressions, but because I really want to see the game in action. Probably E3 or maybe May 4th.

• Thumbs Up 4

According to several people, "looks as good" as the trailer and will run 60 FPS across all platforms

So why not just fucking show some goddamn game play

This is an FPS by the Battlefield team right?

If that's the case I imagine the framrate will either be unlocked or cap at 200FPS on PC.

Of course if you play with V-sync neither will matter.

Apparently, IGN has said that Star Wars Battlefront will not have single player campaign. Not sure how this'll turn out...

Yup. There's no "traditional" campaign mode. There's also no space battles.

I saw this coming though. Battlefront has always focused on the multiplayer mode. Battlefield & the engine has always focused on land fighting, so Battlefront 3 not having space battles probably shouldn't be a surprise.

Space Battles were my least favorite part of Battlefront II tbh

Although I did like seeing the people fly out of the ships when you blow them up

Oh, I'm sure the decsion to not have a space battles mode was so they could get the engine up to stratch for both space battles and surface to space battles. In any case, we have air battles like in Battlefront 1. That should be good.

I'm not really much of a Star Wars fan, but Battlefront II is a pretty good time from what I've played of it.

Hopefully, DICE does a good job on this one. They really seem to be trying to make it an authentic SW experience, down to using photogrammetry on props used in the original movies-- in other words, they scan the props in high resolution to create models for the game. I'll give 'em that.

No Space Battles? That blows. That may have been my favorite part of Battlefront II, to be honest. 

I don't know who's to blame here, but I'll just blame EA because I hate them.

Well fuck, I can get the game for $38 if I preorder it versus $60 + tax if I don't. :/