Awoo.

Star Wars Battlefront - Developed By DICE (2015; PS4, XB1, PC)

Willsy

The lack of space battles is kind of a bummer though you can still fly starfighters and other ships in the map and have dogfights, which is still good. As long as I still get to fly an X-Wing. I wouldn't rule out space battles for DLC though, and considering this is an EA game.....yah....and that's really the only downside I'm seeing here, the lack of campaign doesn't bother me as there is still offline play (and local co op which is a more than welcome addition) and the campaigns in BF3, 4 and Hardline were apparently mediocre at best. As for the graphics, it won't look like the trailer in terms of fidelity. The game is already said to look amazing and I sure it will look good on release, though as opposed to earlier, I am skeptical of what EA are claiming to be the real visuals now. One impression did say that there was some minor aliasing, and the trailer looked far too clean. But as I said, I have no doubt that it will look great, even on console.

Yup, campaigns are nothing like they used to be back in the day. I remember playing Medal of Honor and having a lot of fun with the campaigns they have. Now a days it's just linear hallways and scripted sequences. Not fun at all.

And that's why I don't understand people saying an actual campaign being missing is a bad thing. As also, let's be honest, Battlefront II's campaign was little more than a mission mode. But instead of having specially made maps, it used the maps already available. Surely that's all DICE mean when they say no conventional campaign?

Some people seem to be just hating on EA and DICE at the minute for what seems like minute reasons.

Maybe, maybe not. But I enjoyed having those mission modes in II. Narration was also fun.

For me, Battlefront was mostly me and my cousin shooting at computer Rebels while we played Stormtroopers. That was Battlefront for us. We were conquering the galaxy. If my cousin wasn't there, I was alone, being a stormtrooper, and conquering the galaxy in the mission mode.

I don't play a lot of games online.

• Thumbs Up 1

I can completely understand skepticism for the game after EA's shady past practises and Betafield 4, but the threads about the game on GAF have turned into an absolute shitshow of going round in circles. Its pretty obvious that the game isn't going to look like that (and I will gladly eat Womprat if I'm wrong), especially not on a PS4, and I don't know why people are shocked about it. The trailer clearly said at the end that it's not actual gameplay, and that it was rendered in-engine. Yes it's weird that they aren't showing gameplay, but there must be a reason for it since they are letting in depth details about the gameplay slip anyway. It's very possible that it's not in a fit shape to be shown off to the general public just yet, and it was merely at Celebration as a special treat for attendees. DICE also did the same thing with the reveals for BF3 and 4.

I'm not so much defending DICE or EA (because that would be fucking rich), but rather thinking about it from a logical perspective. If they had something to hide, they wouldn't have lifted the embargo on gameplay impressions, which happen to be coming from left, right and centre from both critics and non-critics alike. I know that if I were an evil corporation trying to steal money, I would maximise hype with a pre-rendered trailer AND keep everyone in the dark. EA only did half of that. :P I'm not saying that it's 100% confirmed that the game wont be another AAA flop, because I haven't seen the game. But from what I have heard so far, it sounds promising to me.

Also, a surprising thing is the free DLC, and the pre order incentive being that you get that free DLC a week before everyone else. That's actually very reasonable IMO, and given how these companies tend to go batshit insane with pre order bonuses, this is a breath of fresh air.

Cool trailer, but I really wish there was some actual gameplay footage. Well what can I expect? This is the next gen, which means pre-rendered gameplay trailers everywhere. <<

Everything else impressions wise sounds really good except for no space battles and no campaign, especially the former which I LOVED to play with my younger brother. There's always DLC though I guess. Anyway, I'll just wait until E3 for gameplay footage.

• Thumbs Up 1

Given how DICE campaigns have been mediocre at best in recent years, I think a mission mode is a far better way to go. The missions can be played with a second player (online or offline) which is a plus. If these missions are anything like instant action from the originals, then I am 100% on board with that being the single player portion since that was all I did in Battlefront 2.

Wait...

If they're being close to the original trilogy, shouldn't the Stormtroopers die in one shot because of their terrible armour?

:lol:

The PS4 Bundle, looking to get this one. its probably doing to be the worth Bundle ever existed, for me lol.

i swear some of you guys. some Gafers think this way and it start to pisses me off. Heck be happy there finally a Battlefront game after teen fucking long years.

Sure no space battle, when is probably the best part of Battlefront II but am way too hyped to think about it. I can't just wait to blast people with my Bazooka and more explosion over the battlefield of star wars.

Edited: you know what, fuck. am about to explode either. jk lol

There's a PS4 bundle? Not really surprising since Sony have seemingly nabbed the marketing rights for this.

Anyway, when would a safe bet for a Beta be? I'm guessing E3 for closed, and October for open.

• Thumbs Up 1

There are going to be more maps though, it's just there are only four planets (five if you include the free DLC).

There's a PS4 bundle? Not really surprising since Sony have seemingly nabbed the marketing rights for this.

Anyway, when would a safe bet for a Beta be? I'm guessing E3 for closed, and October for open.

October is way too late for a beta considering that the game comes out in November.

There are going to be more maps though, it's just there are only four planets (five if you include the free DLC).

I know. Still way too few. The last two had more.

And that fifth planet is simply Tatooine 2.0

October is way too late for a beta considering that the game comes out in November.

Hardline had its open beta in mid-Febuary, the game came out about a month later. The second beta test is usually for stress testing the servers and late in development multiplayer related things that might need re-jigging if my understanding is correct.

I've heard that DICE isn't very good at creating their own campaign mode, but I still think it's a shame they couldn't do something for Star Wars. 8/ Guess it saves us from having a crappy story in the game.

Anyways mission mode is fine, since there was something similar to that in Battlefront II.

• Thumbs Up 1

As far as I'm aware there are going to be more planets. The media just seem to be taking that particular part out of context.

As far as I'm aware there are going to be more planets. The media just seem to be taking that particular part out of context.

There are 4 planets as of now, but each planet will have multiple stages.

I wouldn't be surprised if we did get space battles in the form of DLC. In fact, Battlefield 4 had a DLC mode where both teams had to defend their aircraft carriers and attack the other team's one, which is basically just like space battles in Battlefront. The only issue is, it would be DLC, but I would be willing to let that slide if the base game is good, functional, and fun. (In fact I would probably just buy the season pass because fuck me I like Star Wars.)

I've heard that DICE isn't very good at creating their own campaign mode, but I still think it's a shame they couldn't do something for Star Wars. 8/ Guess it saves us from having a crappy story in the game.

Do it like Rogue Squadron, wherein each level is its own stand-alone stage with whatever objectives and a little bit of story, set in a variety of environments. Tatooine, Yavin IV, Death Star 1 interior, Death Star 1 exterior, Bespin, Cloud City upper and lower, Hoth, Endor surface and space, Death Star 2, maybe Coruscant as a bonus, plus some interlinking levels giving us a chance to enjoy more battles with Star Destroyers and such.

There, done. No need for a brand new over-arching story, we all know what's going on anyway, except maybe for the level- and perspective-specific stuff that doesn't take long to come up with anyway. Maybe it could add some depth to the OT's events, too.

No space battles is a big disappointment for me. I loved them in Battlefront 2, how there were several ways to approach them: You could just go hunt down their fighters, you could bomb their mothership, or you could wreck said mothership from the inside. Plus the sense of scale in them was also really cool to me. It felt like you were actually participating in one of the movie's space battles...

• Thumbs Up 2

Looks like the trailer wasn't bullshitting after all. Yes there will be some jaggies on the console version but if these screens are from the PS4 version they showed off then damn. Even with their crappy quality they look amazing.

What's the source?