Awoo.

Star Wars Battlefront - Developed By DICE (2015; PS4, XB1, PC)

Willsy

We have screens of gameplay!

Jrtb.png

second view looks like an HD version of Dark Forces XD Thinking this may be close to that series than Battlefront 

Looks like the trailer wasn't bullshitting after all. Yes there will be some jaggies on the console version but if these screens are from the PS4 version they showed off then damn. Even with their crappy quality they look amazing.

What's the source?

This actually;

Mostly stuff we already knew besides this.

PS2 Version:

Clone Wars and Galactic Civil War

Space battles

64 players on PC version (including tons of bots)

30 unique vehicles

26 Maps all with different variants.

Single Player Campaign

23 playable Heroes & Villains

EA's next gen triple A game:

Only Galactic Civil War

No Space battles

Only 40 players with no bots.

Only 6 confirmed vehicles. AT-ATs aren't even playable.

Only 4 planets

No Single Player Campaign

Published by EA games.

Good job EA. You've made a sequel to a decade old game with not even half the amount of content as the original. I have no clue how anyone can defend this.

The PS2 sounds pretty beast here.

• Thumbs Up 8

Let me just say that my friend and I played the PS2 version a little while ago, and while it's still incredibly fun and well-designed, the graphics and framerate make playing it a lot more of a struggle than it should be, at least in split screen.  Therefore, it seems to me like having a new Battlefront with a huge upgrade in graphics and performance would be a worthwhile venture.

But dear lord, seeing that bullet point comparison is absolutely depressing.  I cannot believe how little content EA is planning compared to a game from ten years ago.  And yet, I can believe it.  Because it's EA.

Unless things shape up (which they won't), I would not feel comfortable giving them my money for this at full price.  I'd either wait for a huge sale or just rent it.  After that I'd probably just stick to Battlefront 2 in some way shape or form, since apparently there's a multiplayer service back up for it.  Well done, EA.  Really.

• Thumbs Up 3

60 players only on PC

6 confirmed vehicles, not total

Maps =/= planets

Substitude for camaign, mission mode ala BF1

Also, no playable AT-AT?

Some of the concerns surrounding BF3 are valid, but this comparison was poor. More information is required for a sound judgement. Given that many people are in full agreement with those bullet points I doubt many will bother to challenge them, opting instead to ovelook the slighted comparison and hasty conclusion. Just for the record, I'm not pleased with the direction of development thus far, based on what we know, either, but there is still a lot we don't know.

• Thumbs Up 1

So aside from polished graphics, are there really any notable new additions our or legit improvements that would reason me to put away BF2 on the PS2 in favor for this?

Because I haven't found such yet.

At the very least I hope this won't be the BattleFront equivalent to The Order 1886: dull and without any innovations warranting a purchase.

• Thumbs Up 1

Pretty sure everyone do play on PS2 and Pc at this point back then. But most of my time it was Online and Split Screen with my friend.

Man oh man, seeing that bullet point comparison list makes me even more unsure about the game. This could've been HUGE, but of course EA happened. >>

I don't think I'll buy a next gen console for this, might just wait for a GOTY edition with all the DLC. Because eff you I'm not paying for space battles!

• Thumbs Up 1

So aside from polished graphics, are there really any notable new additions our or legit improvements that would reason me to put away BF2 on the PS2 in favor for this?

Because I haven't found such yet.

At the very least I hope this won't be the BattleFront equivalent to The Order 1886: dull and without any innovations warranting a purchase.

lmfao we haven't even seen the game yet.

Lists like this are ridiculously dumb. There's so much more to game design than back of the box bullet points. You all should know this, you're on a fucking video game forum. I'm honestly kind of disappointed in you guys' extremely reductionist reactions here.

DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 3 has more characters, more stages, more story levels, and more unique attack animations than Budokai 3. But Budokai 3 is more popular with fans and was better received by critics because it's a tighter, more focused, better designed game by a team of far more experienced and skilled fighting game developers. 

Simplifying game design to a bunch of cursory promotional talking points is frankly childish. It's art. Wait till we see the actual gameplay before acting like you already played it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Lists like this are ridiculously dumb. There's so much more to game design than back of the box bullet points. You all should know this, you're on a fucking video game forum. I'm honestly kind of disappointed in you guys' extremely reductionist reactions here.

DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 3 has more characters, more stages, more story levels, and more unique attack animations than Budokai 3. But Budokai 3 is more popular with fans and was better received by critics because it's a tighter, more focused, better designed game by a team of far more experienced and skilled fighting game developers. 

Simplifying game design to a bunch of cursory promotional talking points is frankly childish. It's art. Wait till we see the actual gameplay before acting like you already played it.

Honestly, there's still no excuse in a 10 year old game having something like freaking space battles whereas the "next-gen" version, instead of making that even better, just went ahead and threw it away. 

Honestly, there's still no excuse in a 10 year old game having something like freaking space battles whereas the "next-gen" version, instead of making that even better, just went ahead and threw it away. 

It should have been in, sure, I'm disappointed that it's not. Doesn't mean Battlefront 2 is obviously a better game or whatever that list seems to be trying to imply.

And honestly space battles are the only valid complaint on that list.

Maybe it's because it costs more to develop games than it did back then?

TBH I don't like space battles (in fact I hate all forms of aerial combat). Everything else on that list... Doesn't bother me? Sure, it has less confirmed stuff so far, but no one's actually played or seen the full game. I don't know why this is such a big deal. :V

I remember when people compared Super Mario 3D World to Galaxy when we had barely seen anything of it. People thought it was going to suck. People were wrong. I personally preferred in to Galaxy despite it being smaller in scope.

The moral of the story is, wait until we know more or better yet when reviews drop and people buy the game. There's a chance it might suck, but there's also the chance that it will be good. Will it compare to Battlefront 2? I actually doubt it, but does that mean I'm not excited for it? Absolutely not, the series has been in purgatory for far too long and it's just nice to get a new Battlefront. The only thing that matters to me is if it's good.

As for what they are adding, apparently new modes. They're removing conquest so they can make Battlefront different to Battlefield (and to be fair Battlefront started life as a Battlefield clone, albeit a good one), so it's good they are trying to change things up a bit.

• Thumbs Up 1

I remember when people compared Super Mario 3D World to Galaxy when we had barely seen anything of it. People thought it was going to suck. People were wrong. I personsally preferred in to Galaxy despite it being smaller in scope.

The moral of the story is, wait until we know more or better yet when reviews drop and people buy the game. There's a chance it might suck, but there's also the chance that it will be good. Will it compare to Battlefront 2? I actually doubt it, but does that mean I'm not excited for it? Absolutely not, the series has been in purgatory for far too long and it's just nice to get a new Battlefront. The only thing that matters to me is if it's good.

As for what they are adding, apparently new modes. They're removing conquest so they can make Battlefront different to Battlefield (and to be fair Battlefront started life as a Battlefield clone, albeit a good one), so it's good they are trying to change things up a bit.

You don't mean Galactic Conquest do you? Because if that's out I'm out, that's a series staple that adds a lot of replay ability, especially with the lack of a story mode and other era's. Being able to take over the galaxy against a computer opponent or better yet against a live one is unique and fun, especially if you include different galaxy maps and would extend local and online play by a ton

You don't mean Galactic Conquest do you? Because if that's out I'm out, that's a series staple that adds a lot of replay ability, especially with the lack of a story mode and other era's. Being able to take over the galaxy against a computer opponent or better yet against a live one is unique and fun, especially if you include different galaxy maps and would extend local and online play by a ton

They haven't announced all modes yet, the only one announced is Walker Defense, so Galactic Comquest isn't off the cards completely. As for the whole era thing, I don't see the focus on the OT to be an actual flaw but rather a concious decision based in what's popular. I would much rather prefer they focus on OT, because in my opinion that's the better and more iconic part of the Star Wars saga. That's purely my opinion though, and I understand the disappointment from people who wanted Republic vs Separatist battles.

The lack of a story is also understandable if it means they focus on the gameplay entirely. I would rather have more content than less content and one of DICE's crappy campaigns.

You make the mistake of assuming that my thoughts on the matter are based only on the list. Also, I'll hope in the future that you won't try and mark me as an extremist just because I have doubts and not so good impressions of a game that you're excited for with such a rash tone, implying I've even condemned the game; a false claim to boot.

Resorting to make name-calling and aiming false claims of me acting like I've already played the game, is not what I'd condone a good defense rebuttal and it's rather childish too.

In reality they're based on everything: what's been shown, what's been told of this game, etcetera. I welcome this game to surprise me positively, but looking in depth at what this game has to offer so far is not impressing me and the things taken out such as single player campaign and space battles, features I enjoyed, assist to be gone without sufficient features to fill the void.

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/33e4f5/i_have_confidence_in_dice_to_make_a_great_game/cqkk7i5

We have and are still discussing space every now and again. We know it has some very exciting prospects. So of course that would be fun to explore! When and if that will happen is impossible for me to say, but no, we're not saying that space battles are evil and that we will never, ever touch them with a ten-foot pole.

Space battles aren't completely out of the question then.

Considering how far into development they are, I fear any space battles featured will be dlc; more money to be paid for a feature that should've been on the game to begin with.

Considering how far into development they are, I fear any space battles featured will be dlc; more money to be paid for a feature that should've been on the game to begin with.

Except this is a reboot of the series, not Battlefront 3. The original Battlefront had no space battles, only what this had. Battlefront 2 basically expanded on what the original did, but aside from space battles and hero characters did not really make many changes to the core gameplay. It will probably be the same principle for this, where they focus on getting the absolutely essential parts down first and saving things like space battles for a sequel where they already have the core gameplay set out. I would rather they save space battles than rush them in and negatively affect the rest of the game.

Also, DICE don't generally tend to do all new modes as DLC, really just maps.

Cept the original had both prequel and original time periods, which brought some much needed diversity to locations, heroes and units. The 'its not very popular' excuse isn't a good one because I don't know anyone who disliked that aspect of the originals, nor did they dislike the use of iconic locations that didn't have battles like Bespin, Coruscaunt, Mos Eisley or the Death Star

Technically from what's been told so far, this new game is doing even less than the she if what the original did. And the lack of single player and campaign is rather a bummer too. The mindset leave out something as basic as single player merely on an assumption that little people even bother with it also cooks as rather lazy on the developers' part. to

Now Wil, with this being a "reboot", for what reason are you suggesting that they would want to focus on core gameplay when they already have a formula to go off of with the series? Are they planning to revamp the gameplay and actually add something notably new and innovative to it?

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh man. I was hyped for this but after reading the stuff from Battlefront 2 that got removed really killed it for me. No Space Battles, no Galactic Conquest, only Rebels vs. Empire, no campaign?

Big maps and whoa so high glorious 1080p 60fps graphics aren't enough for me if they removed a lot of fun stuff. It's a real let down. It feels more like Battlefield: Star Wars game than a Star Wars Battlefront.

• Thumbs Up 3