Awoo.

Star Wars Battlefront - Developed By DICE (2015; PS4, XB1, PC)

Willsy

Now Wil, with this being a "reboot", for what reason are you suggesting that they would want to focus on core gameplay when they already have a formula to go off of with the series? Are they planning to revamp the gameplay and actually add something notably new and innovative to it?

From what's being suggested, yes. They've said they want it to retain done resemblance to the originals yet be something new. Will they actually come through on this though? I don't know, I haven't seen gameplay. But considering they are doing away with conquest and replacing any modes that might share similarities with distinct Battlefield ones with brand new ones, I'm guessing that they really want to change things up, hopefully for the better.

You make the mistake of assuming that my thoughts on the matter are based only on the list. Also, I'll hope in the future that you won't try and mark me as an extremist just because I have doubts and not so good impressions of a game that you're excited for with such a rash tone, implying I've even condemned the game; a false claim to boot.

Resorting to make name-calling and aiming false claims of me acting like I've already played the game, is not what I'd condone a good defense rebuttal and it's rather childish too.

In reality they're based on everything: what's been shown, what's been told of this game, etcetera. I welcome this game to surprise me positively, but looking in depth at what this game has to offer so far is not impressing me and the things taken out such as single player campaign and space battles, features I enjoyed, assist to be gone without sufficient features to fill the void.

Oh my god. Can you please tone down the pseudo-intellectual Miles Edgeworth wannabe shit? It muddles your actual point.

I wasn't targeting you specifically, so you don't have to be so defensive. You snidely asked if there was anything in this game that made it better than BF2 because you "haven't found such yet" (???)... when literally all we've seen of the actual game so far is two teaser trailers with no gameplay. 

Clever using an "etcetera" though, mind telling me what that stands for? Because "what's been shown" and "what's been told", what little that is, is already "everything". If you're hinting that there's some secret leaked information I don't know about though please feel free to send it my way.

Anyway, don't flatter yourself lol. I don't care what you personally think about the game because your taste in games is completely different from mine anyway. I just think that dumb, close-minded lists are dumb and close-minded. Game might be shit, I wouldn't know, and nobody else does either because we haven't seen a single second of actual gameplay. 

oh, and fucking LOL at you "condoning" what I say in my posts. You're not my fucking mom.

Oh my god. Can you please tone down the pseudo-intellectual Miles Edgeworth wannabe shit? It muddles your actual point.

I'm not going for anything of such sort so please refrain from accusing me of such falsities and let's actually focus on the debate at hand.

I wasn't targeting you specifically

That much is obvious. Now the problem was you replying to my post as it had no relation whatsoever to the allegations you were raising.

You snidely asked if there was anything in this game that made it better than BF2 because you "haven't found such yet" (???)... when literally all we've seen of the actual game so far is two teaser trailers with no gameplay.

"Snidely"? I know these post aren't exactly the best conveyance devices of tones and emotions, but I've no idea of how you take my honest opinion produced as a result of me not being impressed with what we've seen in comparison to BF2 as snide? Again my problem is that you're acting like I'm condemning the game as doomed to be bad, as if I've played the game, which is something I absolutely would never do. Heck, that's something I, myself, detest.

If you're on about my negativity, well pardon me for not getting excited over a hi-def trailer without any gameplay, especially when, I'll repeat, as far as we know for certain there's technically even less than the original game; there's no single player, no space battles included in the initial purchase as it stands, and any actual contact experience is told to us via impressions.

You won't see me complaining about the extreme of side of those who might be praising this game on it's looks alone and suggesting people have already decided this'll be a gem jut because I see you speaking positively of it.

Clever using an "etcetera" though, mind telling me what that stands for? Because "what's been shown" and "what's been told", what little that is, is already "everything". If you're hinting that there's some secret leaked information I don't know about though please feel free to send it my way.

I have not claimed to know "everything", the etcetera was for anything else that had slipped my mind, nothing more and nothing less.

I just think that dumb, close-minded lists are dumb and close-minded.

That's fine. But leave my post out of the crossfire on this one.

From what's being suggested, yes. They've said they want it to retain done resemblance to the originals yet be something new. Will they actually come through on this though? I don't know, I haven't seen gameplay. But considering they are doing away with conquest and replacing any modes that might share similarities with distinct Battlefield ones with brand new ones, I'm guessing that they really want to change things up, hopefully for the better.

Hmm, that's interesting. Hopefully something nice and enjoyable shall come out of this alleged endeavor.

From what's being suggested, yes. They've said they want it to retain done resemblance to the originals yet be something new. 

• Thumbs Up 5

To those worried that this is going to be a Battlefield reskin.

...It is.

BUT.

That doesn't mean it's going to be bad. You just gotta set your expectations.

...It is.

BUT.

Honestly, out of all the military FPS franchises out there I think Battlefield is my favourite. I wouldn't have minded if it was just Battlefield with a Star Wars skin (which is kind of funny because that's basically what Battlefront was to start with), but it doesn't sound like it will be which is a bonus. Just give me a fun, solid Star Wars game and you can have my money DICE.

• Thumbs Up 1

lets face it battlefront 2 on pc got tons of mod support back in the days of online matches giving us all sorts of units to play as and planets to explore theres noway EA would be able to out do that amount of content before they move on to something else also just something i'm going to ask do we know for sure that theres only about 5 maps in the game? maps of which we don't know the size of yet for all we know they could be 1/4 of the size of a normal map on planetside 2

Honestly Just give me a fun, solid Star Wars game and you can have my money DICE.

same here if they at least make a good star wars game then i'll be happy with it as well if anything at least its not Disney interactive making the game

Was it too hard to keep Galactic Conquest at least? It was a really fun mode.

I know. Leaving it out comes off as (lazy and) baffling to me as well. That's one of many things I'll downright miss if I do end up getting this reboot.

• Thumbs Up 1

Given there are only five planets in total (planets, not maps. Each planet will have a few maps)

Doesn't sell it for me.

I know, I'm speaking way too early and I might be completely wrong. But, let's say, Hoth gets like 4 maps. How will they be different from each other without being just layout changes? Same thing with Endor. Tatooine probably is an exception, but still, I can't think how the planet's maps will vary from each other. 

• Thumbs Up 2

There could be some variety. Tatooine could have the Jundland Wastes and Mos Eisley. Endor could maybe have the woods and imperial base.. Hoth, the tundra and Echo Base. Sullust, who knows as this is the first time it's appearing on screen. Jakku, the Bundland Bastes and Bos Beisley.

• Thumbs Up 1

There could be some variety. Tatooine could have the Jundland Wastes and Mos Eisley. Endor could maybe have the woods and imperial base.. Hoth, the tundra and Echo Base. Sullust, who knows as this is the first time it's appearing on screen. Jakku, the Bundland Bastes and Bos Beisley.

Actually, that's not true, Sullust first appeared in Star Wars Podracer's Revenge on the ps2

Given there are only five planets in total (planets, not maps. Each planet will have a few maps), there's no point in bringing it back.

I'd be happy with Planetary Conquest or something. I mean, it takes more than a single battle to dominate a planet, then there comes the matter of holding onto the planet.

• Thumbs Up 1

...It is.

BUT.

Hell, I'm not greed(o)y. A brand New Battlefront game that I can play on my game console to relive my childhood in HD is good enough for me. Add in some new content and all the merrier.

I know. Leaving it out comes off as (lazy and) baffling to me as well. That's one of many things I'll downright miss if I do end up getting this reboot.

It's not exactly 'Galactic' conquest with just four planets is it? More like 'Quad-system Conquest' which I would probably never touch because there's not point. Though I personally never played Galactic Conquest all that much, and just found it to be a series of regular battles strung together. Instant Action was always my thing.

It's also not lazy if they are skipping it in favour of other content.

I only occasionally played Galactic Conquest. It was a fun little mode, but if I'm honest, once I played Empire at War, it did seem similar to that. Except of course with the player only controlling one soldier instead of whole platoons. And, wild theory time, if EA as a whole were discussing games to make, Batlefront would have been first [considering how many people asked for it on Twitter], and possible ideas for new ones. But what if the idea of a new Empire at War got tossed around and they thought what I am now? Wouldn't they specifically say to the guys making Battlefront "No Galactic Conquest, we have ideas for it"?

It's also not lazy if they are skipping it in favour of other content.

Well obviously if such does turn out to be the case and the content replacing it is sufficient, then yeah they're not being as lazy as they're making themselves out to be currently. I'll wait and see for that to be the case though.

Except they are not currently making themselves out to be lazy, because we have seen nothing of the game yet. The absense of modes like Galactic Conquest and Space Battles were design choices that were made in order to focus on the core gameplay within the budget and set duration of time they had.

Well, like I said, that's a more "in-my-current-point-of-view" based on what's been shown so far. Albeit, not much, but EA being involved is kind of what has me worried. Maybe not as bad as Ubisoft, but not much better, they've been lately. And DICE isn't quite helping either.

DICE isn't even a bad developer, they are a case of a good developer under a bad publisher. Even Battlefield 4 was a really fun game when it was eventually fixed (though it's rocky launch was completely on EA's decision to rush it out). Being worried about EA I can understand, but DICE themselves are fine.

Errr, well from what you've told me Wil, apparently we're better off not getting trademark features like campaigns because DICE apparently suck at that sort of stuff. A company that wouldn't be able to pull off some of the staples of the series doesn't exactly give me the best of hope.

It doesn't make them a bad developer though. Even if they don't do particularly well in one area, they make up for it in others. The actual gameplay in Battlefield is a lot of fun, it's just the campaigns aren't usually any good. It's like Sonic Generations, great gameplay, laughable excuse for a story. Didn't make it a bad game or Sonic Team a bad developer (though that last part could be debated by others for different reasons).

When it comes to the campaign as well, I would not go as far as calling it a series staple. The campaign in Battlefront 2 mainly just gave the battles from the films some more context so it could work in a story mode for a game, and it was hardly anything special. They are doing the mission mode which could have individual story events, in fact I could imagine them doing something like that.

lol did y'all just dream up a weird alternate universe where Battlefront II's campaign was awesome and some enormous loss

Just to be clear, this new one isn't online only is it? What replacement is there for a story campaign?

Just to be clear, this new one isn't online only is it? What replacement is there for a story campaign?

It has splitscreen and a mission mode.

The draw of EA's "Battlefield" games is the online. This isn't a game that's going to be fun in singleplayer mode.