Awoo.

Star Wars Battlefront - Developed By DICE (2015; PS4, XB1, PC)

Willsy

lol did y'all just dream up a weird alternate universe where Battlefront II's campaign was awesome and some enormous loss

AH, you must be from the universe that doesn't care for it, I see.

The actual gameplay in Battlefield is a lot of fun, it's just the campaigns aren't usually any good. It's like Sonic Generations, great gameplay, laughable excuse for a story. Didn't make it a bad game or Sonic Team a bad developer (though that last part could be debated by others for different reasons).

That's an unfitting analogy. For starters, they aren't even really comparable considering their different genres, not to mention the fact that lack of a good story is a lame excuse for the removal of a campaign or mode; not even Sonic Team are that lack luster. If a dev team isn't even willing to try to shoot for it with confidence, why should I have faith or trust in them?

Even if the story is bad, I'm willing to give a single player campaign of Battlefront a go, but if DICE can't be bothered to even contribute effort towards that, than they better have something flipping amazing to replace them.

Edited by Jovahexeon Joranvexeon
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm from the universe where the story mode was a bunch of battles on a map with some vague story fluff providing context yeah. Pretty sure that's this one.

• Thumbs Up 3

It doesn't make them a bad developer though.

Never said it did. Just that based on the information of DICE you've given me, I'm fearing for Battlefront's future as it is.

I'm from the universe where the story mode was a bunch of battles on a map with some vague story fluff providing context yeah. Pretty sure that's this one.

Indeed it's that in addition to being enjoyable for many a player. It, alongside Galactic Conquest, shall certainly be missed by many. Now why a team would be lazy enough to leave it out is beyond me. Unless they've got a bigger and better form of single player in mind.

• Thumbs Up 1

Galactic Conquest is a big loss, I agree. 

Story mode was trash though and really all you need to do to replace it is make a custom map and play a scene from one of the movies on your phone during the loading screen.

It's not so much the story mode (albeit I did like that feature) as much as it is the apparent loss of single player content that bugs me at the moment.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Battlefront comes with 12 multiplayer maps.

Of the 12 multiplayer maps in Star Wars Battlefront (there are even more locations when you include the Star Wars Battlefront Missions), some feel immediately familiar — such as the lush forests of Endor or the tundra of Hoth that allow you to re-live your favorite moments from the films. Some of the maps support our epic modes like Walker Assault, while others are tailored to more intimate, close quarters combat. Our goal is to bring a variety of battle fantasies to life, with map design catering to the modes that will play out on those maps. Above all, we want you to create new memories of your own in new places you've never seen before.

Which is two more than Battlefield 4 had at launch.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with those maps.

That's actually a pretty decent amount if they have as much detail and effort put into them as Battlefield maps do. Then there's an extra 2 with the free Jakku DLC.

So, this is a thing:

moiP8na.jpg

I think that they'll have a degree of trouble meeting these expectations, partly because of how high they are and partly because I haven't seen a lot of excitement about this game due to the fact they'll be stripping some of the most beloved features from previous titles.

9 - 10 million copies, man. If it manages to touch those numbers, I'll be legitimately surprised.

I think that they'll have a degree of trouble meeting these expectations, partly because of how high they are and partly because I haven't seen a lot of excitement about this game due to the fact they'll be stripping some of the most beloved features from previous titles.

9 - 10 million copies, man. If it manages to touch those numbers, I'll be legitimately surprised.

It isn't really far off to be honest. Both BF4 and BFHardline made about 15 million, so something like Star Wars on it would probably do fine.

Plus it links into Episode VII, that alone will move many copies as it's out a full month before the film.

It will do well. Its a DICE shooter and it's out around the same time as Force Awakens.

http://starwars.ea.com/en_GB/starwars/battlefront/news/dear-galaxy-uk?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=swbf-social-uk-socom-fb-dear-galaxy-news&sf38141529=1

Just a heads up on another one of those blog posts the creators like to post. And it says we definitely will have gameplay at E3. In fact, they have 'great plans for E3'.

Do they plan on having a beta after the conference or something?

• 1 month later...

DID SOMEBODY SAY E3 GAMEPLAY?

Impressive....most impressive....

This game is Star Wars. They have absolutely nailed the atmosphere, everything is one point. The sound effects, the enviroments, it's like actually being in the locations from the movies. They even threw in a wilhelm scream! I simply cannot wait for this, DICE have outdone themselves IMO. Let's just hope that launch goes smoothly...

• Thumbs Up 4

Oh, such amazing gameplay, and it really feels like Star Wars.

It's brilliant! I'm really hoping now they start showing off what other new modes they have, because this is the Battlefront of the new age.

I was literally blown away by the gameplay footage shown at E3 yesterday. I didn't have high expectations going in but they were definitely met when I saw the Hoth gameplay footage, bloody hell! Even my boyfriend thought it looked great, and he isn't a big Star Wars fan nor has he played any of the Battlefront games!

Crossing my fingers so hard that this doesn't fall flat on its face on release date like BF4 did.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

New trailer for the new mode. Fighter Squadron. Twenty humans team up with twenty AI per side for 40 vs 40 air combat.

It looks stunning, and not just Sullust. It also looks fast paced, and feels like Star Wars.

• Thumbs Up 1

And I was worried there'd be no fighter battles. This isn't Space battles from Battlefront 2 but I'll accept this. 

• 2 months later...

The Beta is free for everyone to play this weekend. I spent an hour or so with the Xbone version and it's exactly what I thought it was going to be: this isn’t Star Wars Battlefront 3. Hell, it doesn’t even feel like the same franchise. I haven’t played Battlefield, but this really does just feel like the standard modern fps with Star Wars slapped on it. However, I gave up on my expectations for a true successor ages ago, as it was clear DICE was just making a Star Wars version of Battlefield. So how is it on those terms?

Well, it’s not bad, although I don’t see this game becoming something I’ll obsess and drool over like with Battlefront 2. This is more the sort of game I’d play in short bursts instead of spend hours at a time with. Online-only FPS’s have never really been my thing, so the almost total lack of single player does bring this game down quite a bit. Although the full version does at least promise an offline mode with AI-controlled battles, so it won’t be a complete bust there. But regardless, I AM having fun, and I think I’ll really have a blast if I’m playing with friends.  I just can’t say this is satisfying that new-Battlefront craving I’ve had for the last decade. I still need to try out starships, though. There’s only one mode with them in the beta and I’m not even sure how to do it yet.

One thing I'm sure people are wondering about: no, I'm not really seeing any big glitches. But a few minor things? Sure. I've had some lag here and there, but it's been sparse. I saw one guy clip through an object, but it was nothing that could be considered an exploit or anything. Matchmaking worked well enough, although it did seem to get stuck once or twice. Backing out of the menu and coming back in cleared it right up however. Oh and I did have one crash on the main menu almost as soon I booted it up for the first time, but I haven't seen anything of the sort since. If the full version goes this smoothly, then EA will have actually kept their word about avoiding another Battlefront 4 fiasco.

Oh and the game looks gorgeous by the way.

Well now I don't know if I should get the pc version or the ps4 version. Yeah those requirements are a lie...

Wow, that optimization is crazy! If that's the case, then my laptop could handle this game probably alright. That's insane!

Edited by Mae