Awoo.

'Hooked on Sonics': What Attracted You to the Series?

Kiah

It all began when I was 4 or 5, for some reason I was at my sister's friend's house and I saw them playing sonic adventure 2 on the gamecube, I remember really liking the look of it and asking if I could give it a try, for some reason they didn't let me but my family happened to own an old sega mega-drive (or genesis if you live in America). So I played the original two games a lot and then I played adventure 2, and that's where it all began, this also started my interest in video games as a whole. 

Sonic 1 for the Master System sucked me in. It was built into the console and it was super fun. I remember Bridge Zone the most because I loved the music (which would be later sampled into Janet Jackson's "Together Again"). Then there was Jungle Zone, man...I hated that one. I don't think I ever got all the emeralds.

This was when Sonic first came out so I've been with the series ever since.

Probably Sonic Generations. That game was hella fun and seeing the many characters from different Sonic games come into this game was pretty neat as well. I liked the gotta go fast gameplay, the level design, and the music.

I have watched the old Sonic cartoons (Sonic Underground and SaTM), watched Sonic X, and played as Sonic in SSBB but I never really felt inclined to check out his games.

Fucking Game Grumps of all things made me check out for good Sonic games.

I was attracted by the fact the games are great platformers. Well at least during the Megadrive Era, the series has kind of moved away from the platformer root. The speed, art design and great characters were what hooked my attention but the fact the Megadrive games were such great platformers is what attracted me and what continues to attract me to the games to this day.

It started when I was one. Wanting the Genesis game of Toy Story, my dad got out the Genesis and put in Sonic 1. I was hooked on the game. All I saw Sonic as at first was just an escape from reality, like Disney movies could sometimes be (except Alice in Wonderland, which freaked me out!... So trippy... the Cheshire Cat and Queen of Hearts are very unnerving characters indeed). Then I rented Sonic Adventure 2 Battle after seeing a commercial. From there, Sonic became so much more...

I later got Mega Collection, where I learned of the comics. I then got some Archie Sonic comics. And then X premiered. I also got word of an earlier Sonic cartoon even cooler than X: SATAM. I started collecting the plushies of the characters. The first non-compilation Sonic game I bought was Heroes. The strong world and cool characters pulled me in and haven't let go, even as they've faded away. Some influence of the series will always be there.

It started when I was one. Wanting the Genesis game of Toy Story

The MegaDrive Toy Story game was so good! Brings back old memories!

It all started way back in elementary school when I saw some of the older kids being their Sonic Advance/Sonic Adventure 2 strategy guides to the after school program.

I was intrigued and decided to get my parents to buy Sonic Advance so I could get in on the action as well. And sure enough, I fell in love with the series as a whole.

I think the one thing that attracted me to this series the most is that unlike other games I played at the time, the characters in the sonic series had actual personalities and therefore I could relate to some of them (especially Knuckles and Shadow).

• Thumbs Up 1

What attracted me most to the Sonic series was just plain Sonic The Hedgehog I just love the character and like almost all of the supporting cast. I just found this series cool and very interesting. May I say also very cute.

That's all! :)

• 4 months later...

My first Sonic game was Sonic 06, but what made me love Sonic more was when I played Sonic Colors. I saw who the character behind the series was. Sonic was a funny, confident, caring guy on an adventure to save aliens and their planets from Eggman. He expressed that he didnt like that was happening to his friends and he fighted for them. He also pushed Tails in the elevator to protect him, even he put his arm in front of him to not let Eggman get to him. It showed that he had a heart and he wanted was best for those who he cared about while being confident and funny cracking jokes alot.

Edited by Sonikku/
  • Thumbs Up 2