Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog 1 & 2 3D

Autosaver

Speak for yourself. My favourite game is Sonic Adventure Battles 2.

My favorite game in the series, next to the Sonic Advanceds trilogy.

• Thumbs Up 5

Obviously you guys never played Sonic Mega Collection. That was my favorite game in the whole series, why don't we get a port of that?

If we get a Sonic 3 3D port then I'd be pretty upset about Sega's want for M2 to do something over Stealth & Tax, but then again port != remastered, and I'd be pretty happy if it got any attention at all.

Actually a port of Mega and/or Gems Collection would be pretty cool. Especially since I never got to play the latter.

If we are going down that road I would rather Sonic Jam personally. Mega Collection had a nice list of games, but Jam was much better quality wise. Remaster/Rebuild like Jam or Stealth/Tax versions would be much preferred over a shoddy copy paste port. Plus the extras on Jam were awesome, it's about time we got a new updated History Hall or TV Ad Collection with all the other goodies from Jam plus whatever has ended up in the vaults since then!! Throw that in my 2016 handheld or console Sonic Anniversary Collection Sega!!

*coughhandheldsegasonicarcadeandknuxchaotixtoopleasecough*

Hahaha no Sonic Spinballs? I thought that would be the first port of call.

You and a lot of people only want it because of the Archie Characters integrated into it!

In fact, you all think that an Archie Comics Sonic Game would save SEGA. The sales would go up ridiculously high, but only due to trolls.

I'd be pretty disappointed if they end up making Sonic 3 (3D) but won't let StealthTax lay a finger on it. Why can't they just work together, urgh? 8I

• Thumbs Up 3

• 2 months later...

Information I've gathered from google translate on the Japanese site.  Bolded the two biggest deal ones (not that they're very big deals at all lol).

• Local play is supported for both 2P Modes.  A copy of the game is required per system.
  • Switch between regular view and a rounded old-fashioned CRT TV style view with skewed edges and a bit of classic fuzzy colour blurring.
  • Switch between regional variations of the game (JP site specifically says you can select "overseas" version, I assume some bugs were fixed or tweaks were made before localisation that would make this an attractive feature for JP players?).
  • Switch between both sound chip styles for audio (if I recall, the difference is crisper audio vs audio that sounds more like the original Mega Drive's output?).
  • The stage select is available from the off without cheats being necessary.
  • A new, easier "Ring Saver" mode has been added.  Start each stage with 10 rings, and you only lose half your rings when damaged.
  • Of course, suspend saves are available.

That seems to be everything, most of it the same enhancements Sonic 1 had.  Peanuts compared to Sonic 2 Mobile of course but not a bad selection of features.  I'll prolly be getting this since I don't have a gaming mobile and any classic Sonic on the go is better than none.

Edited by JezMM

Where is Knuckles in Sonic 2? I know it's Lock-on but there is always extra stuff for the 3D Classics so I expected it to be in there.

Now they have to make 3D Sonic & Knuckles too and implement the option to unlock it through that. Please SEGA! There has to be some way to get it on the 3DS.

Wow, that is a seriously nice credits sequence.  More of this, please; more of the creators clearly enjoying themselves.

• 2 months later...

Got this today, and I'm a little disappointed.  It was a bit of a cocktease actually.  Emerald Hill Zone looks incredible.  The 3D effect has been greatly expanded from Sonic 1's.  The corkscrews look legit 3D (you can't see the "join" of the 3D layers on them), the little checkerboard outcrops on the walls pop out, the trees are all on multiple layers, and the grass patches hang down from the walls they sit on top of perfectly.  Loops go into the background slightly, and cliffs that are above other cliffs look slightly further back than those below.  It was incredible.

Then... Chemical Plant happened and we're back to Sonic 1's layers of flatness.  If anything moves at the same plane in the original, it's on the same 3D layer here.  The twisty blue tubes don't go behind one another in the 3D space, the water isn't in front, the city buildings are just one flat layer along side the mechanical wall stuff below them.  What a let down.

Also I was playing in sub-optimal (daylight) lighting conditions so not a finalised opinion but - the special stages gave me motion sickness.  The amount of stuff popping around the 3D space (just as the original sprites did due to their lack of scaling) all at different rates and areas on screen is really vomit inducing.  This game really needed to be a port of the taxman remake if only for the special stages I think.

Edited by JezMM

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished Sonic 2d yesterday; normal speed-focused playthrough without getting all the emeralds. I had a great time with it; the save feature alone makes me really greatful for the game.

Having a stage select mode was interesting; now I won't have to keep in memory 19-65-09-17. The ring-save mode was also noteworthy. A good mode for folks playing for the first time.

The 3d effects I thought were incredible. The entire game seemed more lively in 3d...except for the special stages. Usually, I'm rather tolerant of '3d eye strain' but for the special stages; the strain was incredible. I had to turn off the 3d imaging after just a few seconds. Because of the unique design of the special stages; loads of sprites continually coming at you, perhaps the special stages are not compatible with 3d settings.

After completing the game, I was rewarded with...Super Sonic mode? With each level, you start off with 50 rings, and all the emeralds. You can begin each level in the super state.

I have...mixed feelings about this. Perhaps it is because in the past I spent hours memorizing those infuriating special stages, particularly stages 6 and 7. The flashing stage 7 makes when obtaining the final emeralds really communicates that you have unlocked something special.

But this new mode nullifies all that. Granted, you could automatically get all emeralds with the 4-1-2-6 cheat, but even that didn't grant you fifty rings with each level. I'm sure some folks will enjoy the incredibly overpowered Super sonic mode, but for me, I'll be getting the emeralds the old fashioned way. If I'm going to be overpowered, I want to earn it.

Overall, I love this new version of Sonic 2, and I hope that taxman and Sega can work together for the next project.

Imagine Hyper Sonic in 3d...oh man.

• 2 weeks later...

Beat this earlier. Overall a marked improvement over Sonic 1’s 3D effect regarding level scenery for the most part, though some zones were seriously lacking/flat looking (as mentioned in my previous post, Chemical Plant being the biggest disappointment (no 3D effect on the iconic crisscrossing paths) - it turned out that later zones went back to Emerald Hill's level of care for a variety of scenery being on different planes).

The 3D version staff credits were really cute.  Also unlocking Super Sonic by beating the game was a nice touch imo since the Sonic 2 special stages suuuuuck.

• Thumbs Up 1