Awoo.

''Holy Edge Batman! - Frank Miller is writing another terrible comic on us!''

Ryannumber1gamer

Remember The Dark Knight Returns and Batman Year One? Remember how good they were? How they were some of the best Batman comics, showing one of the greatest Batman/Joker conflicts (Despite really bad art). Then he recreated the Dark Knight's origins in Year One, one of the greatest stories for Batman? Then The Dark Knight Strikes Again released. It was written by Miller and was one of the most terrible, awfully drawn stories for the Dark Knight, containing idiot characters, stupid commentary on TV and news, and a disturbing amount of naked women showing off the news, among other idiotic things.

Then came All-Star Batman & Robin which was basically ''You know all those characters you loved and grew up with? I'M GONNA SHIT ON THEM HAHAHA''. Let's put it this way. You know it's going to be fucking awful when the first thing you see, and I mean the first thing you see is Vicki Vale running around her apartment in a bra and a pair of panties, talking about how Superman is hot and Gotham only have a flying rat as their hero. Yes. that is the first thing in this comic.

Then we have Batman going on murdering rampages, forcing Robin to eat dead rats, Superman being an idiot, Wonder Woman being I don't even know what, and Black Canary being a irish bartender who travels to Gotham in order to have sex with Batman. Because that's why you want to see in your Batman comic right?

But thankfully DC ended that horrid thing and thankfully had the sense to not give him control of anything else. Right?...Right?...Right?

WRONG

That's right Batman fans. Frank Miller is once again going to turn Batman into a horrid piece of shit with a Dark Knight sequel called DK - The Master Race.

This isn't going to end well.

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2015/04/24/superstar-writerartist-frank-miller-returns-to-batman

• Thumbs Up 2

I have a BAAAAAAAAD feeling about this. So it's easier to simply avoid it. And the article acts like Frank is an amazing writer, which sort of confuses me.

But... Curiousity is... Killing meeeee... MUST RESIST...

• Thumbs Up 1

donkey-kong-zelda-pokemon-mario-bros-wel

Donkey Kong approves.

(but seriously, given that this guy made Holy Terror, whaaaaaa?)

Fun Fact, Holy Terror was originally a Batman comic until DC told him no way due to how Batman would act in the story

• Thumbs Up 1

I know, I watch Atop the 4th Wall too :U

• Thumbs Up 1

The Kong is strong in you young Attaxx.

Seriously though, what the flying fuck is running through the minds of DC to let this idiot back near Batman?

• Thumbs Up 1

I didn't start taking an interest in Batman till the Arkham series, but wasn't batman always grimdark horseshit?

No. That's entirely wrong and it's wrong to write it off as just ''grimdark horseshit''. There are some damn amazing storylines like Under the Red Hood, Hush, The Killing Joke and more. It's writers like Frank Miller who only write grimdark horseshit with added idiotic bullshit, and ass/boob shot of female characters, among other things.

There's varying levels of grimdark horseshit :V Miller can be lauded for the turn to grimdark, at least, but the horseshit part only came later. He's managed the great honor of being both one of the best and worst Batman writers :V

allow me to tell Ryannumberonegamer to fuck off though with the insinuation Year One has bad art.

There's varying levels of grimdark horseshit :V Miller can be lauded for the turn to grimdark, at least, but the horseshit part only came later. He's managed the great honor of being both one of the best and worst Batman writers :V

allow me to tell Ryannumberonegamer to fuck off though with the insinuation Year One has bad art.

No No No, I didn't mean Year One had bad art, fuck no, that'd be crazy. I'm talking about Miller's shit poor art for Dark Knight Returns and Dark Knight Strikes Again, which include such gems as:

youngsters-456.jpg

dark-knight-strikes-again-art.jpg

wheniwasold.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

No. That's entirely wrong and it's wrong to write it off as just ''grimdark horseshit''. There are some damn amazing storylines like Under the Red Hood, Hush, The Killing Joke and more. It's writers like Frank Miller who only write grimdark horseshit with added idiotic bullshit, and ass/boob shot of female characters, among other things.

And how many of those end with the villains being locked up?

I've said it before, but my biggest beef with Batman is his ridiculous moral code. The idea killing major threats to innocent people is just as bad as killing said people is ignorant as hell.

I don't know how many of the villains actually stay locked up, or how many actually die, but that shit is the main reason I don't read Batman.

You see, Under the Red Hood would probably be the perfect animated DC movie for you. That movie delves straight into Batman's moral code, which I won't spoil but basically something from his past begins to haunt him, and it all boils down to Batman's moral code.

To put it this way. Batman knows he's on a very thin line between himself, and being as insane as the Joker. In the classic Graphic Novel, The Killing Joke, The Joker is utterly convinced that all it takes is One Bad Day. Just one very bad day that breaks a person. To do this, he kidnaps Gordon and begins to torture him in horrific ways to make him lose his sanity and turn as evil as he is. When Batman tracks them down, it goes into this brilliant confrontation between Batman and Joker, where Joker explains how easy it is for him to turn as bad as Joker. But on the flip side, Batman also explains to him, that with the right help, Batman can help Joker, rehabilitate him, turn him into a force of good. This may sound like it has nothing related but it really does.

Batman knows for a fact that if didn't have restraint. Then he'd go as insane, and as evil as psychopaths like the Joker. Batman knows that if he were to kill one evil person. He'd kill another, and another, and another, until soon, he's nothing but a crazy murdering psycho who doesn't protect people, but only does it to satisfy his own bloodlust. Batman doesn't want that. He wants to prove that he can bring justice without stooping as low as his enemies.

But honestly, it's something I can't really explain here because his moral code is that deep. It's extremely easy to write it off as ''He's just an idiot'' but when you see the comics, and the movies and how it's explained, you begin to realize that it's a lot more than that.

Here's the scene in question by the way, although as I said, there's spoilers for Under the Red Hood.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Kong is strong in you young Attaxx.

Seriously though, what the flying fuck is running through the minds of DC to let this idiot back near Batman?

Two words: Dan Didio.

Seriously that man is the DC equivalent to Joe Quesada at this rate.

You see, Under the Red Hood would probably be the perfect animated DC movie for you. That movie delves straight into Batman's moral code, which I won't spoil but basically something from his past begins to haunt him, and it all boils down to Batman's moral code.

To put it this way. Batman knows he's on a very thin line between himself, and being as insane as the Joker. In the classic Graphic Novel, The Killing Joke, The Joker is utterly convinced that all it takes is One Bad Day. Just one very bad day that breaks a person. To do this, he kidnaps Gordon and begins to torture him in horrific ways to make him lose his sanity and turn as evil as he is. When Batman tracks them down, it goes into this brilliant confrontation between Batman and Joker, where Joker explains how easy it is for him to turn as bad as Joker. But on the flip side, Batman also explains to him, that with the right help, Batman can help Joker, rehabilitate him, turn him into a force of good. This may sound like it has nothing related but it really does.

Batman knows for a fact that if didn't have restraint. Then he'd go as insane, and as evil as psychopaths like the Joker. Batman knows that if he were to kill one evil person. He'd kill another, and another, and another, until soon, he's nothing but a crazy murdering psycho who doesn't protect people, but only does it to satisfy his own bloodlust. Batman doesn't want that. He wants to prove that he can bring justice without stooping as low as his enemies.

But honestly, it's something I can't really explain here because his moral code is that deep. It's extremely easy to write it off as ''He's just an idiot'' but when you see the comics, and the movies and how it's explained, you begin to realize that it's a lot more than that.

Here's the scene in question by the way, although as I said, there's spoilers for Under the Red Hood.

So the reason he doesn't kill is out of fear of becoming what he hates the most.

Alright, I can buy that. I still like my heros to actually defeat enemies rather than delay them, but I can understand it.

• Thumbs Up 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GLD18JorwQ

Because more people need to know how truly racist, sexist, and disgusting Frank Miller is. I can't believe DC's mindset here. Let's have a xenophobic and lecherous old bastard with a fetish for glorifying Batman, making every woman a whore (some quite literally speaking out of their ass), and taking said gloried Batman and turning him into a cop killing sociopath and child abuser; and have him write another book for our company.

Fucking Christ.

• Thumbs Up 1

he's also still one of the names most associated with "rescuing" batman from 60's camp, so eh. Not hard to see why they'd keep doing occasional projects with people like him or Neal Adams even if the result is total senility.

You know, Balding Spider put it a lot better than I could.

Yeah, the KKM puts up a good point, but I thought not even that would help him after all that crap. Guess he hasn't quite killed his career yet.

he's also nearly dead. This seems to me pretty much a mix of a prestige "let's milk the Miller name" project with a pity "let him have a last shot" project, maybe even a bit of a cynical "let's see if the result's as stupidly unintentionally hilarious as All-Star Batman"

I can certainly see the "letting him have a last shot" scenario being likely the reason, considering his condition.

• Thumbs Up 1

So is Frank Miller like the M. Night Shyamalan of comic books or something? All I know is that Netflix Daredevil and Nolan Batman are both heavily based on Miller's work so obviously he did some of the best comic book shit in his prime.

Miller did some good work. But then, either while writing Sin City or after it, he went off the rails, and his work got worse as a result.

So is Frank Miller like the M. Night Shyamalan of comic books or something? All I know is that Netflix Daredevil and Nolan Batman are both heavily based on Miller's work so obviously he did some of the best comic book shit in his prime.

Theory I've heard, timing of which fits a bit too well so it might be true, based on interviews he's given, is that he was set to become a regular writer until he was robbed near home in the late 70's- an even that traumatised him and set him on the path of focusing on good crime stuff about the ground level. That's his best years.

Then when older, 9/11 happened and he just went completely off the rails. He's admitted to pretty much changing that day.

So we're getting another Dark Knight story from Miller?  Not at all surprised frankly, despite the amount of flak his Dark Knight Strikes Again got.  If I'm honest though, the whole idea of The Dark Knight Returns sucked and was just too violent and dark for what is essentially a dude dressing up as a bat at night and fighting crime.  It's hardly a decent basis for something really gritty in my opinion.  Sadly, DC thinks the opposite and has been following that kind of tone since then.  The last time I ever saw Batman done right was when the animated series was airing.  The tone and setting worked perfectly.  It was dark, yet it didn't go nuts with it.  So I don't get why Miller gets so much praise for his (apparently) great work.  As far I see it, it's all terrible, violent nonsense that I couldn't be bothered with reading.  The same goes for this, inevitably bad sequel.

Let me make one quick spoiler to save you from watching it Alpha Solkia

No one actually dies in the animated movie.

That being said, it's still good. Not on the level it's praised. But a nice entertaining animated movie. And it's interesting to hear John Dimaggio as the Joker. I'd also recommend watching both animated parts of The Dark Knight returns, because as mentioned before...the comic has 'shitty art'. The animated movies? Beautiful visuals and smooth animation. 

Also, watch or read Batman: Year One, if you like of course. I can't fault the comic or the animated movie much. Plus it has current Gotham star Gordon McKenzie as Batman :D and Bryan Cranston as Jim Gordon!

I should also mention I genuinely love Miller's art when in black and white, or in one rare example, in 300.