Awoo.

Who from cartoons/comics should be given a chance to be in the games?

Goro Man

For me, all the same should be given a chance at it - Manic and Sonia! If you remove some of the extra parts (the same musical instruments as weapons. And maybe even a royal roots), they can perfectly fit into the game. And besides, SEGA may, at the right and appropriate approach to compete with TMNT 2012. Sonia may be suitable for the Scarlet Witch, and Manic on Hawkeye (a game for it can be like unreported gameplay of ShTH (well, give him transport and numerous weapons)). And what are your ideas?

• Thumbs Up 1

I believe Scratch and Grounder should appear in a game...any game! They're funny characters and would fit very well with the current direction of the franchise.

Heck, their only appearances these days is in the comics, and that's only occasionally so. I'm convinced if they didn't appear in the comics when the cartoon was relevant, they wouldn't be making cameo appearances now.

Hell, the reason I'm torn on whether or not it was a good idea to turn a Puyo Puyo game into Mean Bean Machine is that while it meant Arle and the gang didn't get their chance in America until years later, it at least meant that Scratch and Grounder were able appear in a game before being consigned to Sega's memory hole.

Scratch would have appeared in a game anyway since he was in Spinball.

Edit: I just realised that Scratch is the non-game character with the most in-game appearances under his belt. Huh.

None. I'd rather see better use of existing game characters, or new characters that are specifically designed for the games, than attempts at adapting characters from other media.

There are already enough divisions in the Sonic game fandom as it is without bringing the comics and shows into the mix.

None, honestly. I'd rather they stayed separate. The Archie characters like Sally and Antoine would be a lot less offensive now that they've had redesigns, but even so it's like... no thanks.

But at this stage, the most important thing is that they keep Sticks as far away from the main series as possible. In fact, keep her a way from Boom. Just kill her off, write her out or something.

Yeah, killing her off would be best.

• Thumbs Up 1

Aw shucks, Blue Blood, don't be such a

stick in the mud!

Personally, I'm cool with a cameo or something, but for the most part, you gotta keep 'em separated.

Unless they're Scratch and Grounder. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I think a lot of the appeal of these characters concerns itself with the circumstances that they have to be written around in their respective universes. There comes a point where Sally is more than just a royal chipmunk; the situations she has had to deal with for around twenty years are a part of her characterization and make-up, and those situations are exclusive to Archie. As a result, I feel like shoehorning in the alternate media cast with actual canon roles without a way to address the discrepancy (and I feel the only ways you could do so are an alternate dimension storyline or a tongue-in-cheek crossover one, and I'm not on board for either in lieu of more grounded adventure serials) does a disservice to both universes by ignoring the boundaries established by both. And as Dio said, the Sega-originating cast should have priority for appearances and development in the games. I will advocate that Knuckles, Amy, and Shadow get some better utilization under their belts long before I start considering Manic and Sonia, of all characters. That, and the games are still undergoing an identity crisis through the gameplay inconsistency once again established by Lost World and the Boom branch, and I feel the use of characters from other canons can only really exacerbate that image problem.

On top of all that, it's a general matter of principle. I've never really been one for advocating that Archie adapt any and all Sega elements that its creators didn't want to use, because I recognize that it's its own universe with its own workings and its own appeal to its fans. As such, I'd like the same consideration for the games. Like...just leave my games alone. Can I at least have that? =/

• Thumbs Up 8

Count me in the camp of "None, since I'd want to see the game cast utilized better" and piling more characters, unless they're just harmless cameos, won't in any way solve the current problem with underused cast. Nevermind that I think some people never consider that the characters they want to see in the games won't be the same ones they know and love and will only bitch about them being "mangled" by Pontac and Graff's writing. And you know they'll just get labeled as "more shitty friends" by the media/game journalists regardless if they knew these characters existed prior or not. .

Some fans didn't like how the Fred Wolf Turtles were portrayed compared to the 2k3 Turtles.

Besides, If there's ever going to be a Sonic-themed crossover, the Boom series has more a chance to cross over with the main series than Archie ever will.

The most I could see the Freedom Fighters as is as some... well, freedom-fighting squad that has as much importance to the big picture as the Chaotix (okay, maybe a little bit more).

They'd stop Eggman's lower tiers of trouble like robots invading some random city, and otherwise help out people in need through ways Sonic doesn't/can't always do (like firefighting, bringing people to safety, stopping small crime, environment protection, etc), while Sonic is more of a superhero that stops worldwide/universal calamities and spends any other time lazily roaming around and doing what he feels like.

Otherwise, I can't see them working as they were in the comic/TV show canon at all; especially in context of how Sonic, Tails, Amy and whoever else interacts with them. But if they were ever put in like how I mentioned, I think it'd be pretty cool.

Also, Sticks would be great if she was less annoying and slightly more endearing. Also if she was useful. And also if she was used in a way that makes it where she doesn't appear all the time. Oh hey look, it's Marine!

• Thumbs Up 4

If Sticks was in the main games, I actually would like to see her paranoia played up to the point where she is ironically sniffing people and plots out and giving credence to her hunches, even if she herself is unable to elaborate on what her hunches are actually telling her, similar to how Knuckles was constantly suspicious of Metal's disguise in Free Riders. He couldn't tell you why it threw him off; it just did. Just do that for Sticks except make her rationalizations super ridiculous. That could be endearing.

My best case scenario would be a situation where a character that is clearly inspired from the comics or the cartoons is re-adapted as a background NPC as a little nod to the more observant fans. They wouldn't be the same character, but they'd be clear references to them. Like, there's a giant yellow cuckoo bird that you can buy concept art from, and he's based off of Sketch Lampoon from AoStH.

Also, I like what Azoo suggested, where there's an actual rag-tag team of rebels called the "Freedom Fighters" which are basically the same group from the comics and cartoon, but function differently and are important for one or two games, but mostly operate independently from Sonic on their own adventures to fight for justice elsewhere.

As far as villains go, aside from painting Burrowbot green, I can see any of Eggman's robotic minions from the cartoons working in a badnik factory as management (Like, I can see robots resembling Scratch and Grounder working along a conveyor belt assembling Motobugs while Coconuts is cleaning up oil spills, or Decoe and Bocoe are overseeing different sectors, with Cluck as a mobile security camera). 

Another good example, I feel, are the Swatbots from Sonic Chronicles: 

Swatbot_1920x1200.jpg

They are not quite the same model as seen in SatAM or the comics, but the resemblance is enough to call it a harmless nod or a cameo to a different continuity.

So, while taking characters and dropping them into the game continuity with the same personality and importance as their source material would be a bit of a disservice to both canons, I will say that a reference, a cameo or something along those lines is perfectly fine. I'm game for that kind of stuff.

• Thumbs Up 1

Really, as far a characterization goes, there is virtually nothing different between Boom and modern (post-2008) Sonic to the point where I wouldn't even care one way or the other about them intermingling.  My main hope is that the two remain separate gameplay-wise.

Otherwise, I agree with what others have said above me.  A lot of the things that make the characters from the cartoons and comics good is honestly the context and narrative structure surrounding them.  I'd argue that this is probably the case with the main series characters as well.  I don't think I would want Sonic to crossover with any characters, even other Sonic characters, that didn't fit within his world's thematic principles.  Even then, when a crossover does work, it's usually because we understand it's not a mainstay thing, but something that's nice for novelty effect.  The comics' recent Mega Man crossovers come to mind.  They're not bad, but a Sonic and Mega Man series isn't something I'm rooting for, personally.

...one word

Scourge.

In topics such as these, you're obligated to explain your choices in at least a few sentences, otherwise your posts are considered spam. 

• Thumbs Up 1

...one word

Scourge.

Blog_Scourge.jpg

Out of all the non-Sega characters that could be put in a game, I've often thought Scourge might fit better than any other. And the idea of a game featuring alternate dimensions that recognizably mirror the main world (as opposed to Blaze's dimension) is an interesting one.

But...personally I don't care for Scourge. He's okaaay, I guess, but I don't get why he's so popular, really. His personality is annoying and grating, and while his being a recolor is justified, his design is still boring. He's just so uninspiring compared to...just about any other character really :P

Of course, speaking realistically, no one will ever touch Scourge again with a ten-foot pole out of a sensible desire to not risk having to interact with Ken Penders ever again.

To answer the OP: I'll have to agree with the predominant opinion of "none". It would be way too divisive, and a very awkward process besides. Some people who are fans of the canon immigrants in question will be upset by the inevitable changes that would have to be made to the characters and their roles in order for it to work.

I think everyone will be happier if the characters just stay in their own continuities.

(There's also the fact that, personally, I like the games cast the best by far. It's not that I don't like other continuities or the Freedom Fighters or whatever, I do...I just have never liked them as much as the Sega cast.) 

However, I do really like the Archie comics (which are excellent post-reboot IMO) incorporating a bunch of characters from different continuities, and it's kind of a shame (to me anyway) that their ability to do so is limited by Sega.

None of them.

The game series as it is doesn't even give much focus if any to the cast it's already cultivated outside of Sonic, Tails, Eggman, Orbot and Cubot so why should canon foreigners get preferential treatment if they were introduced?

In addition, as much as I like say, Sally for example, the way the game's settings and concepts are set-out simply doesn't lean to accommodate them as they are in their home continuities without drastic alterations to the status quo. To make the aforementioned Sally relevant and how she's been established for example you'd have to make Sonic subservient to her and and we all know a decently-characterized Sonic leans to no one's orders and follows no direction other than his own. Not to mention how they'd have to find some way to make her royal status relevant and accounted-for.

The characters that already exist and already been developed have satisfactorily taken on the roles that had been given to canon foreigners in their home continuities. I'd hate to see them get undermined and shoved out of the limelight for the sake of more and more characters.

The brains to Sonic's brawn? The situation analyzer and right hand? The techy guy? Um, that's Tails role. I never saw a good reason as to why Sally and Rotor leeched those roles from him in SatAM and that's always been a little peeve to me.

The brawn? The tough guy? Knuckles.

The heart? The reluctant "love interest" to Sonic? The action girl? Amy.

Eggman's two lackeys? The guys who serve to complement him? Orbot and Cubot.

I could go on...

Personally, Snively. I'd actually like Snively in his Empire to make it seem like he's a lot less alone than what it seems. I have some hunches that his Empire may consist of a number of lifeform workers as well, it's just that they're so unimportant that it really doesn't matter much so we never see it. The Egg Carrier actually had two sets of bathrooms, for instance. But for that, about anybody would fit the bill.

As far as him appearing, I'd like to see him smart mouth Eggman and Eggman to give it right back, try to take over and get shot down. They're both fighting and obviously Eggman wins the majority of it, but neither one is really more deserving of the harshness than the other.

Plus, I feel like his design works well with Eggman's as far as humans go.

I remember for a long time wanting Sally to appear in the games in some form (I liked the idea of them doing a sort of semi-Satam adaptation for a game, where Eggman builds Eggmanland over Mobotropolis and Sonic meets the Freedom Fighters for the first time). The problem however is that I just don't trust the games to handle them right. I don't like how the far more research heavy Archie handles them most of the time, and in parts I feel even Satam screwed up royal.

You have to keep in mind that they already did this twice before with Amy and Charmy from the manga. Now has anyone read the manga (at least pre SEGA appearance) and can say they like the games versions for the same reasons as them? Not to mention if they appear in the games, that depiction will become the "definitive" one, it will take priority over the previous versions and likely they will be altered to be the same, just as the aforementioned two were in later points of the manga. They will also be granted those infamous mandates by SEGA in terms of development. It's a very risky effort that could actually end up not only making for a lousy entry for the character in the games but actually ruin them in the media they're already in.

Isaac, the golden Gamma. That was a fantastic character. That and Tikalchaos. Imagine a new Sonic game with them in it. Super Sonic wont stand a chance!

"You know nothing, fool! It's TikalChaos, the God Of Destruction!"

Count me in the "no one" camp as well.  The game series barely utilizes its already large cast.  Plus, there no reason to dig up characters from continuities that have been dead for 10-20 years, especially when most of those continuities (specifically the Western ones) barely resemble the source material they're supposedly based on.  Plus as Vertekins pointed out, most of the roles character from other canons served are already being served by the more widely known SEGA cast, it'd be redundant.

Some fans didn't like how the Fred Wolf Turtles were portrayed compared to the 2k3 Turtles.

Why not?  That's exactly how they acted in the Fred Wolf cartoon all the time sans the Red Sky episodes.

Acchh! More Gamma knockoffs? Can't we just let the poor guys from SA1 bow out with dignity?

• Thumbs Up 1

ahh!! my dear Uncle Chuck!  *u*  i'd like he could make it on the games ..

but of course that never will happend... >w>U

also i 'd vote for Scratch and Grounder.. but i think their roles were already taken by Orbot and Cubot :D haha

Scratch and Grounder are literally just variations of existing badniks anyway.

Grounder-sprite.png    Clucker_sprite.png

So if badniks were suddenly given character and these two were essentially given Scratch and Grounder's personalities just as a throwback, honestly I don't think I'd complain. Beyond that, I can't say I'd really be keen on any other continuity crossovers. Too much effort to make them work in a different setting, and too much "who the fuck is this and why are we expected to be familiar with them" from all bar a small, vocal crowd. And as noted, during a time where Sonic's facing a dire identity crisis even with just the cards he already has at his disposal. Let's just knit together what we already have before we start adding more shit to complicate the formula.

• Thumbs Up 3