Awoo.

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (IGA's Castlevania Successor) [PC/PS4/XBO]

Candescence

CEvard3WoAAFrTK.jpg

Already funded, the full details are on the Kickstarter.

Original post:

eXPuIGY.png

PSdfHdi.gif

So there's been hints popping up that Koiji Igarashi is making his own spiritual successor to Castlevania. However, it wasn't quite confirmed until he put up a teaser site, asking people to choose between "sword or whip."

iUfLVAS.jpg

For the record, you can vote repeatedly on either weapon, and IGA will give you a name and a clan. I personally got Gusion the Grateful of the Iron Flail clan. #teamwhip

Also, Sprite!GA seems to be dropping hints about the game in his dialogue, including stuff like "Your clan will fight other clans for treasure. It is just the way of these things." and "Of course you understand that this is not my final form. Two dimensions cannot hold me."

Granted, it seems IGA is getting help from Comcept with this one, which will inevitably cause skepticism, but I'm cautiously optimistic on this one.

Granted, it seems IGA is getting help from Comcept with this one, which will inevitably cause skepticism, but I'm cautiously optimistic on this one.

god fucking dammit

they better have minimal involvment.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes!  I've lamented the death of the Castlevania series many times, because unlike some series that gradually got worse over time, Castlevania's demise was kind of sudden and shocking.  The series was going strong and then BAM, terrible reboot with a few games and Koji leaves and then nothing.

I am absolutely ecstatic over the idea of a new successor from Igarashi, and I can't wait to see how it looks.  If it gets the rumored Kickstarter campaign, then I'm gonna back this like nobody's busin-

AUGH NO

NONONONOOOO

• Thumbs Up 2

as soon as we started hearing hints of this, it was in an event about Inafune

also that sprite looks awful

nah, set sails for disaster

also that sprite looks awful

nah, set sails for disaster

I doubt that's the style the game would go for.  Even if the end product is pixel art, this is clearly meant to be comedic (the Dracula wannabe here is clearly a caricature of Igarashi himself).

But hey, ya never know.  And if the game actually had an art style like that I'd be pretty damn disappointed.  I want to see something along the lines of SotN's beauty and heavy atmosphere.

I'm not talking the art style, I'm talking the sprite himself of him in the chair

banding, jags, unbroken outline

looks like crap and it genuinelly worries me considering castlevania always had great pixel art

I was referring to all of it.  Nothing about this teaser site necessarily reflects the graphical style of the game.  But hey, we know pretty much nothing yet so who knows.

it's not so much the referring to the graphical style of the game (especially since one of the hints points to it being 3d) as it is "wow, you aren't even able to have your not!Castlevania teaser look as good as Castlevania? Are you just not aware of what made Castlevania look good? Can I trust you with the graphical direction of this?"

Who says the game is even 2D? It might have 3D visuals for all we know, and the site even implies it. And I doubt Comcept is that involved if it is, because the way this is being promoted is very different compared to MN9.

So I'm Bathin the Best of the Katana clan... sure.

Who says the game is even 2D? It might have 3D visuals for all we know, and the site even implies it. And I doubt Comcept is that involved if it is, because the way this is being promoted is very different compared to MN9.

• Thumbs Up 1

god fucking dammit

they better have minimal involvment.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm not really inclined to be worried at all about Comcept's possible involvement anyway, MN9 is still a good game at least, people are just hung over the fact that the visuals aren't as great as they could've been (and that's mainly Inti Creates' fault). And I'm not expecting this one teaser to be a real indicator of what this game is gonna look like, either.

The visuals are the least of MN9's problems.

Seriously Comcept better have minimal involvement with whatever this is.

• Thumbs Up 1

How did Inafune go from "BEST DEVELOPER EVAR" to "omg go away" so fast?

• Thumbs Up 1

Even the most beloved devs can fuck up - to err is human, after all. Double Fine has had problems of its own with its KS projects (arguably worse in some ways than what Comcept is doing, at least Mighty Number 9 is actually staying within its own budget) and early access.

Oh yeah, Inafune didn't at least fuck up the budget to the levels Schafer did, he's got that much going for him. I suppose Kamiya's comment is relevant- he's a business man, after all.

I'll reserve judgement until we've actually seen something of the game, because do I ever want more IGAvania.  It's worth mentioning, incidentally, that in both the original flier teaser and on the new website dialogue there are mentions of alchemy, so that's clearly going to be significant.

I voted whip, incidentally.  It feels fairly derivative, naturally, but on the other hand there are countless games with swords and very few with whips.

in the words of Kamiya "Inafune is a businessman, not a creator "

I feel almost all  complaints, everything to do with him can be explained by this

• Thumbs Up 1

Hm, One of the quotes I got was

"???:From now on, I will call you Eligos the Euphoric, and you may call me Sir"

I'm not too familiar with Castlevania or even old History for that matter, but could this be hinting at a character? Or am. I just reading too deep into this?

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that the most voted weapon will influence the genre of the game (the whip for a traditional platformer, like the first Castlevania titles, and the sword for a Metroidvania like Symphony of the Night).

Hm, One of the quotes I got was

"???:From now on, I will call you Eligos the Euphoric, and you may call me Sir"

I'm not too familiar with Castlevania or even old History for that matter, but could this be hinting at a character? Or am. I just reading too deep into this?

Nah, it's just a randomly generated name it gives you for voting enough times.