Awoo.

Character personalities in the Sonic OVA

Osmium

This is my first topic on here, so I apologize if it's kind of a strange idea. 

I bet all of you have watched Sonic OVA. I definitely have I find it very interesting as I find it to have the best portrayals of Sonic and Tails period. Eggman and Knuckles were pretty spot on too.

Sonic in this movie mystifies me, as I think it's perfect. Its one of the only places where his bad temper is really shown correctly. It's also the only place where they got the exact right amount of Sonic's dickishness. The thing that interests me is how easily he gets frustrated and isn't afraid to yell at people, even his own best friend. He seems to almost be halfway between SEGA Sonic who is egotistical, but not really that much of a dick, and Fleetway Sonic who has a bad reputation to say the least. 

Tails I think is perfect too. He's a strange combination of early Tails who seemed to be just a follower, and modern Tails who is a genius. You see him hacking into computers and creating hover boards one minute, and spazzing out and throwing tantrums another.

I personally think Tails has the most personality here, as he has a smart side and a kiddy side, compared to him in he games where he is basically a walking toolbox with some snarky lines here and there. 

Sonic and Tails also have a funny and I think realistic friendship in this movie. The are shown disagreeing on things and yelling, but they truly care for one another, and are always on each other's side. Just look at the beginning when Tails goes to rescue the Old Man. When Sonic sees that they are both in deep shit he immediately rushes off to save them.

So what do you think about Character's interpretations in the OVA? You can discuss Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Eggman, and all the other characters.(Yes, you can talk about that Crabmeat that Sonic puts on Old Man's foot if you want to XD) :)

Australian Sonic, is what stuck out to me in Sonic OVA, just the way he was..... its not that it was bad its just, that wasn't sonic, it was a totally different person.

"STRANGE ISN'T IT"

• Thumbs Up 1

OVA Sonic is probably one of my favorite interpretations of the character. He's the only version of Sonic that I think could fit the label of being "cool" without coming off as either incredibly dated or by having to parody the characteristic by acting like a dorky jock. He's a bit of an asshole, but not too much to the point where he's unlikable, and shares this general air of being a cute badass that can also be taken from CD's opening.

Australian Sonic, is what stuck out to me in Sonic OVA, just the way he was..... its not that it was bad its just, that wasn't sonic, it was a totally different person.

So he wasn't Sonic because his voice had a bit of an accent to it?

• Thumbs Up 1

One of my fave things about the OVA personalities is that Sonic and Tails feel way more like they have the kind of goofy friendship that a 15 year old and 12 year old would have where Sonic is always trying to be a little cooler than Tails but doesn't really talk down to him either.  Compare all the cruel and hostile jokes they make at Eggman's expense in Lost World to them making faces at each other and pranking old man owl when he's in shock/trying to explain stuff to them, or how they mock Metal Robotnik on top of the bridge during that fight scene.

It's not necessarily BETTER than their in-game personalities, but it sure is more adorable and gives the OVA a unique flavour.  I love the OVA.

Eggman's a really REALLY fun guy in the OVA too and I love his interactions with Sara throughout the movie.   Scenes like him playing video games with her while his other captive, the president, takes a nap in the background, you don't get that kind of laid back humour in the games.

Knuckles is more or less just Knuckles, but unlike the games, his comic relief comes from a breakdown in his serious attitude due to ridiculous circumstances (trying to catch Sara, AAA MY HAT'S ON FIRE etc), as oppose to him creatiting those ridiculous circumstances by being the dumb comic relief character.

Man the OVA really was a swell slice of Sonic animation history if you ask me.  It's an all-round feel good romp.

• Thumbs Up 7

"STRANGE ISN'T IT"

Yeah, the voice is definitely jarring the first time you hear it. I think Martin Burke (the voice) is Irish. The Japanese voice on the other hand is actually really awesome. Masami Kikuchi is the japanese voice actor, and I think he's actually the best Sonic voice actor ever. He's pretty much the opposite of Martin. His voice is really low and flat sounding, but it sounds cool. The Japanese version is here if you would like to see it: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peSvL2lixLo

OVA Sonic is probably one of my favorite interpretations of the character. He's the only version of Sonic that I think could fit the label of being "cool" without coming off as either incredibly dated or by having to parody the characteristic by acting like a dorky jock. He's a bit of an asshole, but not too much to the point where he's unlikable, and shares this general air of being a cute badass that can also be taken from CD's opening.

Amen to that! That's one of the resons why I like him so much, is because they got his "dickishness" just right. And I also agree that it was probably the only 90s Western Media version of Sonic who wasn't an incredibly insufferable dork to listen to (besides Fleetway, but Sonic is the largest dick ever there). 

I also find it interesting in the way that he's an asshole, but a different sort of an asshole from the rest of the 90's Sonics. He doesn't really bug people with his huge ego, but he gets frustrated real easy, and this leads to conflicts. 

One of my fave things about the OVA personalities is that Sonic and Tails feel way more like they have the kind of goofy friendship that a 15 year old and 12 year old would have where Sonic is always trying to be a little cooler than Tails but doesn't really talk down to him either.  Compare all the cruel and hostile jokes they make at Eggman's expense in Lost World to them making faces at each other and pranking old man owl when he's in shock/trying to explain stuff to them, or how they mock Metal Robotnik on top of the bridge during that fight scene.

Yeah, thats one of the things that attracted me. And how you mentioned that they will make cruel jokes and pranks that they do and stuff, I find that really fitting because they're a couple of kids. I can actually really relate to that kind of relationship as I'm almost 16 and my cousins 11, and we hang out a lot (except theres a lot more swearing with me and my cousin XD.) , it just shows that the OVA really did that kind of thing right for what is was going for. 

Yeah, even though Sonic yells at Tails, and they call each other names, Tails isn't a punching bag, like he was in other places. And I find it cool that Tails will flat out yell at Sonic, when he feels it's necessary. Tails doesn't view Sonic as this flawless figure. 

Eggman's a really REALLY fun guy in the OVA too and I love his interactions with Sara throughout the movie.   Scenes like him playing video games with her while his other captive, the president, takes a nap in the background, you don't get that kind of laid back humour in the games.

Eggman was pretty hilarious in the OVA, and I think that his interactions with everybody are pretty solid. 

For me it isn't that OVA is a dick, it's that he's brash and arrogant without being completely unlikable about it, and most of the time it's towards the right people, e.g. authority figures like the President and Eggman. The kind of people who deserve that kind of response for being malicious or outright incompetent.

That's where Fleetway fails in my eyes. He acts like a complete asshole on a constant basis, and frequently verbally abuses, sometimes to the point of tears, every one of his so-called friends, and most of the time, they have done nothing to deserve it. There's nothing endearing about that. That's, quite honestly, rather disgusting.

I'm not going to go and sit there, and act like Fleetway should be like SEGASonic, because, frankly as much as he makes me want to lose my lunch, Fleetway is his own character. I never bought the idea that everything should be exactly like the games, especially when the games themselves are of rather dubious in terms of quality of characterization. But I will say that, at least for me, Fleetway is completely unlikeable, just going off his own merits.

• Thumbs Up 2

For me it isn't that OVA is a dick, it's that he's brash and arrogant without being completely unlikable about it, and most of the time it's towards the right people, e.g. authority figures like the President and Eggman. The kind of people who deserve that kind of response for being malicious or outright incompetent.

That's where Fleetway fails in my eyes. He acts like a complete asshole on a constant basis, and frequently verbally abuses, sometimes to the point of tears, every one of his so-called friends, and most of the time, they have done nothing to deserve it. There's nothing endearing about that. That's, quite honestly, rather disgusting.

I'm not going to go and sit there, and act like Fleetway should be like SEGASonic, because, frankly as much as he makes me want to lose my lunch, Fleetway is his own character. I never bought the idea that everything should be exactly like the games, especially when the games themselves are of rather dubious in terms of quality of characterization. But I will say that, at least for me, Fleetway is completely unlikeable, just going off his own merits.

Thats why I like OVA Sonic more than Fleetway Sonic (Even though I do like Fleetway Sonic), because OVA Sonic, as you said is only really snappy to the people who deserve it. OVA Sonic really isn't a dick, he's actually kind of close to SEGA Sonic in behaviour, he just has a much shorter temper. 

I actually do like Fleetway's dickishness sometimes, but it does get tiring after a while as he's a dick to everybody. I think the reason why he's such a dick is because Nigel Kitching said that Fleetway Sonic has an inability to express his feelings, so I actually don't think he's trying to be as big as a dick as he can be, but it's just what he knows. But I digress. 

OVA Sonic and Fleetway Sonic are both very acquired tastes, but OVA is generally more likable than Fleetway. 

So he wasn't Sonic because his voice had a bit of an accent to it?

No because he had the personality as well and I'm pretty sure he said some weird things WEIRD FOR SONIC as well.

Here's a interesting question. Do you think that they should make Sonic's personality in the games more like how it is in the OVA? 

Also, do you think that OVA Sonic is "in character"?

Here's a interesting question. Do you think that they should make Sonic's personality in the games more like how it is in the OVA? 

Also, do you think that OVA Sonic is "in character"?

In character? Not sure what you mean but as for the first question, eh........ then sonic would be the guy everyone hates

What I meant is that does he seem to fit in with how SEGA Sonic acts, and not seem that different?

God I miss the OVA. Considering in Japan, it was a two episode movie that was trying to get itself as a series, I wish it succeeded. The setting was just so interesting. I really wanted to know the story behind the Ancient Relics, and Planet Freedom itself. A shame that never happened....

• Thumbs Up 1

It probably would have been the best Sonic show on TV by far. 

Sonic OVA as a series? Well they'd have to make a ton of new characters to keep it going wouldn't they

Sonic OVA as a series? Well they'd have to make a ton of new characters to keep it going wouldn't they

Well, I don't know. Some shows don't have that many characters and are pretty successful. 

I haven't watched the OVA in quite a long time, so my perception may change upon another viewing, but I honestly thought everyone was a little loud and obnoxious in the movie.  Granted, a good portion of that could be owed to the voice acting, but I really prefer the way modern Sonic is stoic and maybe a little dorky.  I mean, there are things that could be taken from the OVA that I think would be good.  Namely Sonic's sarcasm and sometimes lazy nature.  Something about the majority of the dialogue kind of just seemed like they were talking for the sake of talking and it didn't really suit it for me.  Still, the OVA itself boasts of beautiful animation and production values, similar to that of Sonic CD.  I would have liked to see more of it had the series continued.

There were plenty of game characters they could have used at this point, albeit with somewhat different personalities.  Amy, the Chaotix, the one-off characters from Sonic the Fighters, Nack the Weasel, and others were all invented by that point.

• Thumbs Up 1

but I honestly thought everyone was a little loud and obnoxious in the movie. 

That's pretty much the questionable English cast's fault. If you watch the Japanese dub, Sonic's actually has a pretty low voice and he sounds older. Tails is still high-pitched but is less annoying. Knuckles sounds different like how Sonic does, he has a lower voice and also sounds older. 

I mean, there are things that could be taken from the OVA that I think would be good.  Namely Sonic's sarcasm and sometimes lazy nature.

Yeah, I would find it interesting if they made Sonic a little more lethargic sometimes. It could create some interesting situations. 

I find it mystifying how Sonic just refused to help the old man from the rocket at first. OVA Sonic leaves a lot of questions unanswered. Like, does he just not care about the Old Man? Does he refuse to help people all the time? Does he always find people annoying and does he get frustrated with everyone real easy? And, why did he help after Tails failed to save him? I think it's probably Sonic either felt some guilt or maybe it's because the stakes were raised as it was two people in danger instead of one.

Stuff like this makes me wish that we could have seen more from this universe and it's Sonic.

Maybe that's why I find OVA Sonic less than enjoyable.  I mean, there's being the "likable douchebag" character and then there's just defying every basic instinct and flat out ignoring people blatantly in trouble.  It really didn't make sense to me or come across at all like a typical trait of Sonic as a character.

This was generally my make or break for likeable versions of Sonic as well. I remember disliking the scene Sonic coldly refuses to save Antoine from being robotocized in Satam for the same reason. I see Sonic capable of disliking someone, but never enough to outright wish a horrible fate onto them. He's one of those 'live and let live' types. Even if he could, he's too compulsive in his heroism to follow through. He'd save Eggman if it meant playing the heroic ace again.

It seemed odd for OVA Sonic since he didn't really have much of a contemptuous streak the rest of the time. He just seemed to randomly become too lazy to care about anything. It was almost like he was trolling them.

Maybe that's why I find OVA Sonic less than enjoyable.  I mean, there's being the "likable douchebag" character and then there's just defying every basic instinct and flat out ignoring people blatantly in trouble.  It really didn't make sense to me or come across at all like a typical trait of Sonic as a character.

This may be a bit of a stretch but maybe Sonic didn't try to save the Owl, as he assumed either the Owl for fix the rocket himself somehow, or Tails would just go off and save the Owl, without an argument starting. Either way it's not very heroic.

This was generally a make or break for likeable versions of Sonic as well. I remember disliking the scene Sonic coldly refuses to save Antoine from being robotocized in Satam for the same reason. I see Sonic capable of disliking someone, but never enough to outright wish a horrible fate onto them. He's one of those 'live and let live' types. Even if he could, he's too compulsive in his heroism to follow through. He'd save Eggman if it meant playing the heroic ace again.

It seemed odd for OVA Sonic since he didn't really have much of a contemptuous streak the rest of the time. He just seemed to randomly become too lazy to care about anything. It was almost like he was trolling them.

Oh my god, I forgot all about that scene until now.  Yeah, that was totally messed up.  It's things like that which make Sonic incredibly hard to root for in some portrayals.  It makes Sonic out to be less of a hero and more a self-serving jerk who lacks even basic levels of empathy.  I mean, a hero can have some of the most bizarre and out there morals, and I do understand that with characters in Sonic's age range that part of the experience is watching him learn and become the hero we would root for as he matures, but when it gets to the point where a petty and comically trivial incompatibility with a character dissipates his concern for his physical well-being, that's just mean-spirited and spiteful.  Not something that makes a compelling hero.  At least, not for a hero of Sonic's calibre.

This may be a bit of a stretch but maybe Sonic didn't try to save the Owl, as he assumed either the Owl for fix the rocket himself somehow, or Tails would just go off and save the Owl, without an argument starting. Either way it's not very heroic.

Yeah, doesn't help his case at all.  It just makes him lazy and apathetic. XD

Yeah, doesn't help his case at all.  It just makes him lazy and apathetic. XD

I'm just saying, I though one of OVA Sonic's main characteristics was to be lazy and apathetic. He's not SEGA Sonic, so I guess there's a bit of leeway for a kind of characteristic like that. I would say that it would be freaky if Sonic refused to help someone in a major game. 

Plus, OVA Sonic's not all bad. When he saw both Tails and the old man were in trouble, he immediately rushed off so they wouldn't run into the cliff. Actually, now that I think about it, Sonic could have been trolling a bit. He seemed to save them at the last possible second. but that's probably just a symptom of being a "Big Damn Hero" as it was an OVA.  

• Thumbs Up 1