Awoo.

Character personalities in the Sonic OVA

Osmium

Pretty much this. I thought that the old man was always getting into situations so Sonic either thought he would get out of the situation himself or Tails would just rush off to save him, so it wasn't a big deal.

He even says "Not that Old Man again!" Like this kind of stuff happens and solves itself all the time.

It would have been nice if they had waited to introduce the characters before trying to remind us of their familiar quirks and hijinks.

It would have been nice if they had waited to introduce the characters before trying to remind us of their familiar quirks and hijinks.

I agree with you on that.

OVA's always seemed to have problems of never introducing the setting or characters properly. They would always just throw you into a situation and hop that you know what's going on.

The funny thing is, even Fleetway Sonic seemed to feel the need to save people he abhorred (eg. a one shot villain who duped him into finding an entity that later turned on him).

From what I remember of the OVA, the Owl was just fooling around at the start, not screaming for help or anything. It was Tails that thought the situation was serious. As said maybe Sonic just thought he was goofing around again.

Fleetway Sonic would do all the heroic stuff, he'd just complain about it while doing it if the people he was saving were annoying.

From what I remember of the OVA, the Owl was just fooling around at the start, not screaming for help or anything. It was Tails that thought the situation was serious. As said maybe Sonic just thought he was goofing around again.

That's because he was nearly blind and didn't even realize the rocket was on fire. Tails had to point it out to him and then he freaked out. 

• Thumbs Up 2

And yeah, Sonic's OVA personality is probably my favorite take on him. He's really lazy and sassy, but has good intentions and is generally very heroic. His snark never made him unlikeable to me, in fact quite the opposite. OVA Sonic has more charm than most interpretations of Sonic because it gets all the facets of him just right: adventurous, laid back, snappy, and occasionally sentimental.

The reason why Sonic in this movie seems so right is because the production directors were Sonic Team,Yuji Naka,and Naoto Oshima so this may be the closest we will ever get to seeing what classic Sonic's personality would have been like in a game at that time, and is probably what Yuji and Naoto had in mind for how Sonic would act. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Also note that SA1 Sonic is very similar in personality to OVA Sonic, which was also done with both Naka and Oshima on board.

What do you guys think of Tails in the OVA? And, please lets just ignore his voice XD.

He ties with the Boom version as arguably the best compromise of the two different characterisations he has, being both a brilliant techno wiz and straight man but also adorably childish and boisterous. He's technically the real hero who stops Eggman's plans in the most pivotal way, but at the same time we get loads of cute quirks and moments of buffoonery such as his arguing with Sonic or showing off for his attention, or his fear of lightning. I like he gets a good balance of both physical and mental involvement as well, something that has become a rarity for Tails.

If you can make a variant of the genius version of Tails that doesn't bore me, let alone is a full and endearing character, it's definitely a big plus in my books.

He ties with the Boom version as arguably the best compromise of the two different characterisations he has, being both a brilliant techno wiz and straight man but also adorably childish and boisterous. He's technically the real hero who stops Eggman's plans in the most pivotal way, but at the same time we get loads of cute quirks and moments of buffoonery such as his arguing with Sonic or showing off for his attention, or his fear of lightning. I like he gets a good balance of both physical and mental involvement as well, something that has become a rarity for Tails.

If you can make a variant of the genius version of Tails that doesn't bore me, let alone is a full and endearing character, it's definitely a big plus in my books.

Yeah, I also think he's a cool compromise. The OVA probably had the best utilization of Tails ever.