Awoo.

Fleetway Design Conventions

Osmium

One really underrated artist that I liked was Ferran Rodriguez from issue 6 who had probable the most SOJ-like art ever in the comic. 

03.jpg

05.jpg

I have to admit I really like this guy's art style. It looks very game-loyal and pleasantly JPN Sonic-styled.

Did he work on any other issues?

• Thumbs Up 3

I have to admit I really like this guy's art style. It looks very game-loyal and pleasantly JPN Sonic-styled.

Did he work on any other issues?

He actually did, but he changed a bit. 

03.jpg

04.jpg

Those are from issue 20. They look more SOA styled now. He drew some other issues (including the 1994 Holiday special) but they look more like the ones that I just posted above. 

It kinda makes sense that Ferran's artwork is closest to SOJ Sonic given the character's Mickey Mouse/ Felix routes and Ferran's major body of work on Disney comics. There's a lot of crossover there.

Also, he's said that he was encouraged originally to translate the games to the page so he'd have been more influeced by the game artwork than any of the SOA promo artwork.

It's worth remembering that from circa 92-forwards, SoE had their own designs that had to be used. Sonic didn't necessarily look like the Assface from SoA, but Tails and Robotnik looked like AoSTH.

It kinda makes sense that Ferran's artwork is closest to SOJ Sonic given the character's Mickey Mouse/ Felix routes and Ferran's major body of work on Disney comics. There's a lot of crossover there.

Also, he's said that he was encouraged originally to translate the games to the page so he'd have been more influeced by the game artwork than any of the SOA promo artwork.

That's pretty cool, I didn't know that. I would say that he would be my favourite artist if he did more stuff in the Issue 6 style. 

It's worth remembering that from circa 92-forwards, SoE had their own designs that had to be used. Sonic didn't necessarily look like the Assface from SoA, but Tails and Robotnik looked like AoSTH.

Tails started out looking more like how he did in the games, but he slowly morphed more into the AOSTH style over time. 

I'm mixed on the Fleetway originals; stuff like Johnny and Tekno, I'm fine with, but then we get into some of the other designs like that purple-haired guy from the last page (I'm an StC newbie, go easy on me!) and yeeeeah.

In terms of the main Sonic characters, I love em in Fleetway. Elson's Sonic is my favourite interpretation of Sonic ever, and the same can be said of Knuckles. 

Amy's changes were introduced by the editor Deborah Tate, who wanted her to be more independent than she appeared in Sonic CD and the like. Good choice in my book, Amy's another design I love in StC. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Elson drew Sonic really well. But my opinion of how well depends on the era. 

I really like how Elson drew him in the early issues. He was the only person who could competently draw the SOA cover style in my opinion 

04.jpg

06.jpg

And it got even better during the Sonic 3 era. There are some pics of that style above. 

It started to get... kind of ugly in the 70's though. He started drawing Sonic WAY to scowly and I think there were too many wrinkles and details. 

05.jpg

After issue 100, it started to get cleaner again, but that's when the weird upward spines started because of SEGA's standards. 

At the very end of STC's run, Richard changed to the Sonic Adventure style. 

03.jpg

03.jpg

The spines look really weird here. Richard's art  looks great sometimes and just flat out weird others. 

I recommend you download Lightshot so you can easily upload printscreens of what you want to show, instead of having a ton of broken images in your posts.

Heres a bit of a test using Lightshot: 

tVLDqQ5.png

Can you see this image now ? 

• Thumbs Up 1

I recommend you download Lightshot so you can easily upload printscreens of what you want to show, instead of having a ton of broken images in your posts.

• Thumbs Up 1

Everything's showing up fine for me, I think the problem must be on your end.

How about I throw a coconut into the works?

B7jCkYEIUAANiMJ.jpg

Larger pic here

The one on the left is Richard Elson's original Sonic the Yearbook cover which Elson still owns, the one on the right is the final design.

Fun Fact, Elson doesn't remember doing nor does he have the final cover design.

Spot the difference.

• SatAm robotnik
  • Sonic has a noticeable neck.
  • Sonic's ears are longer.
  • Sonics spikes are thinner.
  • Arms are shorter.
  • Arms are thicker.
  • No tail.
  • Fatter feet.
  • Chubbier face.
  • Smaller eyes
  • No eye ridge.

That's just a few things. 

So here is where the mystery begins, since Elson doesn't remember doing the final cover and only remembers his prototype, did another artist edit his work, then when Elson was hired full time, he went with the edited works instead of his original look?

• Thumbs Up 1

How about I throw a coconut into the works?

B7jCkYEIUAANiMJ.jpg

Larger pic here

The one on the left is Richard Elson's original Sonic the Yearbook cover which Elson still owns, the one on the right is the final design.

Fun Fact, Elson doesn't remember doing nor does he have the final cover design.

Spot the difference.

• SatAm robotnik
  • Sonic has a noticeable neck.
  • Sonic's ears are longer.
  • Sonics spikes are thinner.
  • Arms are shorter.
  • Arms are thicker.
  • No tail.
  • Fatter feet.
  • Chubbier face.
  • Smaller eyes
  • No eye ridge.

That's just a few things. 

So here is where the mystery begins, since Elson doesn't remember doing the final cover and only remembers his prototype, did another artist edit his work, then when Elson was hired full time, he went with the edited works instead of his original look?

Oh yeah missed that one.

The colour scheme is also different, however both Elson and Nigel Kitching said that, due to the age of the original it might not be that much of a difference due to ageing. You can sorta make this out on the marble zone paintwork in the background, it's appears to be heavily faded 

However saying that I'd be willing to put money on a few colour schemes being changed or enhanced during the second artists edit.

It's probably gonna be hailed as an unpopular opinion from what I've read, but...

RJbYNmi.png

I love Rich Elson's 1998-1999 style. It was around this time where I jumped into the book so it's hard not to be biased.

Of course I also adore

COGfThR.png

Also, I LOVE how Rich draws hands! Notice in the above pic, the hand that's behind Sonic, notice the way that's drawn? I love it. I use that method in my own drawings xD

• Thumbs Up 3

It's Kirby posing. Dunno if you've ever read much Silver Age Marvel, but if you like Elson's posing, I suggest you do so.

I also like his take on the Flicky's Island spines the best, too.

• Thumbs Up 1

The colour scheme is also different, however both Elson and Nigel Kitching said that, due to the age of the original it might not be that much of a difference due to ageing. You can sorta make this out on the marble zone paintwork in the background, it's appears to be heavily faded 

However saying that I'd be willing to put money on a few colour schemes being changed or enhanced during the second artists edit.

• Thumbs Up 2

also, with all this talk from Elson, I should mention that if you can, you should read his Journey into Mystery work

not only because it's good, but to see Volstagg being drawn very recognizably with Robotnik's body

I've never seen any of his other work, I should really check it out. Doesn't he draw Spider man?

I don't think he's a regular artist of any specific character or comic, but he's done Thor, Journey into Mystery, Morbius, Spider-Man, recently was part of the Marvel UK revival, etc.

What do you guys think of the Badnik troopers? Are they better or worse than Swatborts in design? 

I like the Badnik troopers more than Swatbots. I heard that they were based off of Nazi soldiers, but don't quote me on that. 

Troopers' designs changed a lot throughout the comic. 

Kly2RWb.png

hPFRWU4.jpg

Eg2X2UG.png

g5MABlc.png

EswuGwJ.png

• Thumbs Up 1

I've a really soft spot for the Badnik Troopers. I like how they had personality in the first issues. I certainly like them more than Swatbots, although they look more like something out of Judge Dredd than Sonic.

I once tried to make them more Sonic-looking, thinking even on submitting them to be used on Azookara's fangame, but never got around to figuring out the cloth. Maybe I'll try again some day, basing myself on the Sonic Rush Adventure pirates.

Badnik_Trooper_by_TheKKM.png

Otherwise though, I don't like the robotry in StC much. Mind, I've rarely so far had a Sonic spinoff have mechanics I actually liked and felt fit- AosTH might ironically be the closest to that sometimes

• Thumbs Up 1

I've a really soft spot for the Badnik Troopers. I like how they had personality in the first issues. I certainly like them more than Swatbots, although they look more like something out of Judge Dredd than Sonic.

I once tried to make them more Sonic-looking, thinking even on submitting them to be used on Azookara's fangame, but never got around to figuring out the cloth. Maybe I'll try again some day, basing myself on the Sonic Rush Adventure pirates.

Badnik_Trooper_by_TheKKM.png

Otherwise though, I don't like the robotry in StC much. Mind, I've rarely so far had a Sonic spinoff have mechanics I actually liked and felt fit- AosTH might ironically be the closest to that sometimes

That design looks pretty cool. It's like a Trooper and a Eggpawn put together. 

I do agree with you on them having personalities. That first picture of the Trooper on my last post still makes me chuckle. 

I will give STC credit for using Badniks (Although Archie did too), but I do remember them calling Buzzbombers Motobugs in a early issue and that bothered me.