Awoo.

Sega Sales figures Year End March 2015

Badnik Mechanic

I *think* Pocket Adventure probably fit the bill for that.

Let me go see what a quick Google search turns up...

Sonic the Hedgehog Pocket Adventure (ソニック・ザ・ヘッジホッグポケットアドベンチャー Sonikku za Hejjihoggu Poketto Adobenchā?) is a 1999 platform video game in the Sonic the Hedgehog series developed by SNK. It was released in December 1999 in North America, and May 2000 in Japan, exclusively for the Neo Geo Pocket Color handheld game console.[1][2] It is also the first game of the Sonic series ever to be released on a video game console licensed by a different company other than Sega, since Sonic Jam on the Game com. The game was praised by critics, receiving perfect scores from multiple reviews.

Looks like it.

Now I can dream of this experiment being repeated in the present day.

• Thumbs Up 1

006224b3f73968e8786e186fe429a234.jpg

Hmm.. This data shows operating income of package game is recorded -2.7billion yen (probably Sonic Boom contributed result of this report

And It shows that Sonic is not important to Sega corporations. I guess

I hope many people analyze this data.

Sega mentioned that they expect packaged games to turn a profit again in the next year (or couple years) due to mainstay titles (which includes Sonic)

No company with the right mind would do this. Even Nintendo or more specifically Miyamoto and in smash's case with Sakurai have their word at what gets in. Plus a project without a set deadline schedule or budget is just a disaster waiting to happen.

Bullcrap. Obsidian Entertainment is a textbook example of why this is full of it. Every game they released since the studio's inception has been rushed out on a deadline as broken, buggy messes. Pillars of Eternity was the first game they got to determine their own release schedule, and not only did it come out clean, it also was the best damn RPG to come out in 10 years.

• Thumbs Up 1

Plus, even if it takes a bajillion years for a third party to get their game out, that's fine. I'm not saying SEGA would stop making games for the duration of the licensed game... just that they'd find one of the Big Three, license them the rights to make an exclusive to help increase the value of their console brand, and then SEGA would for the most part stick to itself.

The only problem is that for licensing to work, your brand must have value. I think Sonic's probably lost a good deal of that after the recent flops.

Sega mentioned that they expect packaged games to turn a profit again in the next year (or couple years) due to mainstay titles (which includes Sonic)

We don't have confidence that next Sonic game is released in this year.

Even if they launched New Sonic Titles. If it flops. We can sure that Sonic is dead

Even if they launched New Sonic Titles. If it flops. We can sure that Sonic is dead

Arguably Sonic's been through much worse. "The Dark Age" was from 2004-2010. And boy, won't we hear the end of it.

Arguably Sonic's been through much worse. "The Dark Age" was from 2004-2010. And boy, won't we hear the end of it.

Sonic games still sold well from 2004-2010. Not so much these days.

And the fact that the Wii U is not a system a whole lot of people want to get. I'm pretty sure that if you look the sales of the Wii U compared the PS4 or XBONE, the Wii U sales would pale in comparison. So back the "Dark Age", the Sonic games were sold as well as they did because it was on consoles people gave a shit but that's just me.

I don't think that's a relevant excuse any more. Other third party games have sold decently on the Wii U. Sonic has also sold well on low performing systems in the past.

I don't think there's any way to justify Boom having "the worst selling Sonic games in history". Not to mention, Rise of Lyric is the lowest rated game in the entire series.

Ultimately the extremely poor games are to blame, not the Wii U.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic 06 was also as crappy, if not worse in some aspects as well but it managed to sell a good amount of copies but I guessing it's because 06 is amusingly bad while RoL is boring bad, right?

I'm niot saying RoL being a Wii U exclusive was the sole reason why it's bad but a part on why it bombed as it did.

And I really doubt the Boom games are the worst selling Sonic games ever but for MAJOR games, then yeah.

Ultimately the extremely poor games are to blame, not the Wii U.

• Thumbs Up 6

Erm... that's not quite right.

A poor install base means a poor sales figure. 

But if your game is terrible then it's going to fail either way.

Not on this level. Even Lost World performed better.

Sonic could sell much better than it currently is on the Wii U. I don't think it's right to blame the system.

The Wii U is a bad platform for sales of any game.

It's an especially bad platform for exclusive games that are trash.

• Thumbs Up 3

One need look no further than the fact Nintendo are already discussing their next console to see how lackluster the Wii U is.

The PS3 lasted 7 years, the PS2 12 (half of that concurrently with the PS3). The Wii U hasn't even been out for 3.

It's sold only 10 million to the PS3's 80 million or PS4's 22. Let's make it fair - the Wii sold 101 million.

Even with the improvement in the Wii's prospects with Smash, Mario Kart, etc... it's doing terribly. If Nintendo's done and dusted with it, there's obviously a reason.

The Nintendo deal makes sense even in retrospect, because of the assumption that Sonic's biggest audience is on the Nintendo... but even if that's true, the loyalty to Sonic wasn't strong enough to make up for the low install base. Hopefully SEGA will earn from this and stay multiplatform from now on.

Hmm.. in conclusion, we can blame both Wii U (system) and Sonic Boom games right?

However, we shoud blame Sonic Boom more than Wii U, because of shattered crystal, SC is released in 3DS platform which has far bigger than Wii U userbase. How should we explain that SC has poor sales? It's obvious that game and Sega's fault.

• Thumbs Up 2

Hmm.. in conclusion, we can blame both Wii U (system) and Sonic Boom games right?

However, we shoud blame Sonic Boom more than Wii U, because of shattered crystal, SC is released in 3DS platform which has far bigger than Wii U userbase. How should we explain that SC has poor sales? It's obvious that game and Sega's fault.

Not much the games fault either. Since Sega hardly advertises the handheld conterpart to a console game. Even if SC is it's own story apart from that of ROL

Yes it is, because even lost world bombed in the grand scale of things, and nobody believed that was a bad game until they played it.

Also just look at other third party games, just about all of them have bombed or had really disappointing sales.

Weren't there many 5/10 reviews on Lost World before its release? Its issues were made apparent to a lot of people.

Not to mention, the 3DS has a huge install base but Shattered Crystal bombed regardless. I'm blaming the games rather than the systems.

• Thumbs Up 1

Did Lost World really bomb? I understand sales were probably unsatisfactory, but I never thought it bombed.

Did Lost World really bomb? I understand sales were probably unsatisfactory, but I never thought it bombed.

Well, a year ago it had managed about 710k across both platforms. That's better than Boom, but not exactly great either. I think you can pin it mainly on the Wii U being the lead platform. Though that said, even the 3DS sales were poor. And the same goes for Boom. The Nintendo deal sadly worked out horribly for SEGA and Sonic.

Said this a bunch of times but it seems to me relevant every time Sonic sale discussion comes up -

Sonic sells on the platform that is most popular with children. Last gen, that was Nintendo. Before that, it was the PS2.

The Wii U is not popular with anyone at all other than die-hard Nintendo fans. The most popular home console platform this gen is far and away the PS4, so smart money says that's the platform that will net the most sales.

• Thumbs Up 2

Considering their infamous receptions, would sales really have been all that much better if they were multiplatform? Either way, bad word-of-mouth would've screwed them in the blowhole.

Considering their infamous receptions, would sales really have been all that much better if they were multiplatform? Either way, bad word-of-mouth would've screwed them in the blowhole.

Boom was always going to bomb regardless, the only people who were convinced it would be good were fans who just didn't want to see the obvious problems it had.

SLW is a bit hard to say since I don't think we ever got a Wii U figure and a 3DS figure, just a combined, though I suspect that a PS360 release would have sold a lot more than the Wii U alone, however as to if that would have done the brand any good is anyones guess.