Awoo.

Dragon Quest VIII (8) coming to Nintendo 3DS (in Japan, what is this "west" you speak of?)

Hero of Legend

http://www.dragonquest.jp/dq8/

http://gonintendo.com/stories/233192-dragon-quest-viii-coming-to-3ds

- due out August 27th in Japan for 5,980 yen
- includes a brand new scenario
- Garuda (female thief) and Morrie (from Dragon Quest: Monster Battle Road) are included as new party characters
- StreetPass functionality
- game events will now have voices
- orchestral soundtrack performed by the Tokyo Metropolitan Symphony Orchestra
- retailer bonuses:

[Weapon] Square Enix e-Store – Candy Cane (Yangus)
[Armor] Amazon Japan – Healie T-Shirt armor (everyone)
[Helmet] Aeon – Healie Cap (everyone)
[Weapon] Game Tsutaya – Gold Bamboo Spear (protagonist)
[Accessory] 7-Eleven – Lucky Pendant (everyone)
[shield] Yodobashi Camera – Metal Slime Tray (everyone)

No clue if Level 5 (who made the original PS2 version) or Arte Piazza (who's done all the remakes) are working on it or not. It's worth noting that Arte Piazza worked on 4, 5, 6, and 7 on their original systems, but never touched 8, so Level 5 with their surpreme 3DS experience and unstoppable success (*cough*yokaiwatch*cough*) would be very appropriate.

Will we see this in the west? Is Sonic red with blue shoes?

:(

Hoping that this comes out here, it would probably the biggest motivator for me to play it again and give it a fresh shot since I pretty much hated it as a kid.

I think they remade some DQ (the spinoffs?) on 3DS in Japan so I don't see why the same studio wouldn't port this game over.

Oh man! Didn't see this coming!

I just finished this game a few days ago and now this bombshell gets dropped?

Damn it, I really hope this comes to the West! It's great that there's a new scenario and 2 new playable characters! I've always thought that Red should've joined your party in the original but it's really awesome that she can in this remake!

And those retailer exclusive stuff is so typical, lol.

Please Square Enix, please announce the localization of this game at E3.

bring DQ7 as well plz

:(

This is the best news I heard all day.

Pretty much my favorite game on the PS2, and one of my favorite RPGs of all time, but I never finished it because I forgot about playing video games during the school year and got lost.

Kinda wish it was on a console, but hell, I get to take it on the road, so no issue. I can't wait to experience this magic again.

While those are technically nice news, given the current situation of DQ in the west and how we haven't gotten a single one of the 3DS games here, I really can't get excited. :/

• Thumbs Up 2

It is impossible to find this interesting given that they haven't bothered to bring over the previous title, VII 3D (and that's not even mentioning the 3D Monsters remakes).  I have heard it suggested that the original English translation of this game matches up well with the remake's features and as such would suffice (where the original translation of VII would not), so it's possible they can cheapskate on translation and we'll get it anyway.  However, Square Enix seem to have decided, DQIX's high sales notwithstanding, that the west isn't interested in Dragon Quest, so you can pretty much discount ever seeing this.

• Thumbs Up 1

It is impossible to find this interesting given that they haven't bothered to bring over the previous title, VII 3D (and that's not even mentioning the 3D Monsters remakes).  I have heard it suggested that the original English translation of this game matches up well with the remake's features and as such would suffice (where the original translation of VII would not), so it's possible they can cheapskate on translation and we'll get it anyway.  However, Square Enix seem to have decided, DQIX's high sales notwithstanding, that the west isn't interested in Dragon Quest, so you can pretty much discount ever seeing this.

Dragon quest Heroes is being released in NA and EU.

Correction, then, the west is interested in Dragon Quest only if it's combined with something that isn't Dragon Quest, and let's see if that works for Theatrhythm.

I think we're only getting Dragon Quest Heroes because of Omega Force.

Since Gundam, One Piece, and recent Dynasty Warrior games were brought over then it should not be too surprising DQ would be brought over too.

We have our first look at the game!

dragon-quest-viii-3ds-scan.jpg

WOW, looks almost perfectly intact!

Sweet! Game looks great (so far).

I wonder when Red and Morrie would join the party though...

That Hammerhood kinda made me hope there wouldn't be any random encounters, but thats the only monster I've seen in that picture so signs point to no.

• 3 weeks later...

....and we finally have some video footage from the most recent Nintendo Direct today!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJHotd8ZVfE

HOOOOOOOOOIP for no random encounters!

HOOOOOOOOOIP for the new playable characters, Gerda (Red) and Morrie in action!

HOOOOOOOOOIP for new content! (Also are there new monster encounters? Don't recognize the dessert slime at 1:18)

Sadly, the graphics do take a hit as well as some of the things removed in the overworld (trees, grass, and probably more). I couldn't tell, but the game seems to run at 30 fps. A shame really, I thought something like this would be at least 60 fps (wasn't Majora's Mask 3D 60 fps as well?).

This NEEDS to come out West! It has to! IT MUST!

edit: Story spoiler:

Apparently, it seems like Gerda and Morrie will join the party after Dhoulmagus' defeat if that Dhoulmagus attacking party cutscene is the proof. Oh well, I expected as much.

• 1 month later...

Looks like VII and VIII might be getting localized.

Following their interview with Yuji Horii at Japan Expo, Final Fantasy Ring are reporting that Horii let slip that Dragon Quest VII and Dragon Quest VIII for Nintendo 3DS will make it out of Japan “in French”. (Note that Japan Expo takes place in Paris.)

Meanwhile, MakuXV, an editor at Nova Crystallis, also claims that Horii mentioned a localized release for Dragon Quest VII and Dragon Quest VIII, and that his translator “got upset” when he did.

In the past, Square Enix said to Siliconera that they are open to the idea of publishing Dragon Quest VII outside Japan. (Dragon Quest VIII hadn’t been announced at the time.)

At the time, Dragon Quest mobile producer Noriyoshi Fujimoto stated: “We’ve gotten a lot of requests, we really want to do it, but right now, we need to hammer out what kind of resources we’d need to do it. We say this a lot, but, we can’t seem to get to the point where it’s justifiable.”