Awoo.

Sonic Boom Headcanons and explainations

Dejablue

Kek, pressed the Enter Button too early.

But anyway. I guess this is going to be "that" topic. The "what would you have changed, included, or excluded, if you could go back in time and magically take charge of Big Red Button and form Sonic Boom in your image. Because Hindsight is 20/20.  The only rule is you can't exclude major characters. So if you didn't like Lyric at all well too bad. You can't just get rid of him.

I for one, wouldn't have used a time travel plot.  I don't get time travel, it always creates plot holes.  

Anyone have any headcanons or "fixes" they would like to share?

Also, do you think RoL relies too much on external sources of info, ie. the cartoons, and comics, to explain it's universe? There is like 5% world building maybe in the actual game but no cutscene ever tries to explain who these characters are and how they meet.  I mean, if this was an original IP and not just Sonic in a broken Jak and Daxter game, then maybe this would have been fine. But since people who were interested in this game already know who Sonic and Company are, Buuuut they are in a totally different setting, it left me scratching my head. If they weren't going to bother with explaining things then why make this a spin off? Should have just made a run of the mill Sonic game where we know who is who and why they do what they do.

To use Jak and Daxter as an example, In the first game, we learn about Eco but really that's all we learn. Eco is good. Dark Eco is bad. But it was an original IP and the characters are in their own original universe so the story we got did it's job well enough. Also the ending screams "There is more to come!" And so we got Jak 2 and 3 which gave us more world building and we eventually find out that it's a big time travel story.

So I'm thinking, what if BRB had planned for more games, at least 1 more game, that would give more meat to Sonic Boom's world?  It's ambitious to say the least, but at this rate who knows if that's gonna happen or not. Did RoL and SC sell better than, like, Sonic Chronicles? Chronicles ended on a cliff hanger and was obviously meant to have  sequel but it sold so poorly that that is an impossibility now.

But  I wonder if the time travel in Boom is basically how it worked in Jak and Daxter. So if there was a sequel, there would have been a technologically advanced "past"  and a lush, simplistic future. With the fall of the Ancients (What a generic name) also came with it a fall of civilization.

Sonic games really really really like their islands don't they? If it's not in the water then it's floating in the air.  Initially I was going to call the main setting of Boom South Island until a quick Google search revealed they live on Bygone Island. And then there is yet another island named Slowpoke Island. With the Citadel being this universes flying island. 

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dejablue

• DarkLight

• Forte-Metallix

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a couple of headcanons.

Here's my Sonic Boom timeline:

1) Prologue: Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Amy meet and become best friends and teammates. They meet Eggman, who plans to take over the world. They fight several times, with the heroes always coming out on top. During this time, Eggman builds Metal Sonic to surpass the Blue Blur (which he never does), and the team meets Shadow. whose background is unknown to all but himself.

2) Rise of Lyric: Sonic and the gang accidentally release Lyric and go on an adventure to collect the eight Ancients' Crystals and thwart his plans of omnicide. During this adventure, they meet Sticks for the first time, who asks them to bring her shinies in exchange for crowns. The quartet of heroes defeat Lyric, and Eggman steals his machine-controlling doohicky. 

Shortly after, Lyric escapes, which leads to:

3) Shattered Crystal: This adventure occurs many months after RoL. During this time, the heroes have gotten to know Sticks to the point of making her the fifth member. Tails even managed to replicate Lyric's technology and made Sticks her own Enerbeam! Lyric, desperate for power, remembers that there was a ninth Crystal, which the other Ancients shattered and used to imprison him after Sonic and Tails trapped him in the past. He brainwashes Shadow, kidnaps Amy, and the remaining four heroes thwart him yet again. After Shadow kicked Lyric out of his own airship, no one has seen or heard anything of the rotten reptile. Maybe he finally met his end. Or perhaps he's just biding his time, waiting for the perfect opportunity to strike back.

4) TV Show/Comics: You know the rest

Also, here are my explanations as to why Shadow and Metal Sonic aren't around after the games:

Metal Sonic: After his two humiliating defeats during the Lyric fiascoes, Eggman decided to shut Metal down and upgrade him. Unfortunately, he hasn't gotten around to doing so yet. Please understand: being an evil genius is hard work! The Doctor has so many projects to work on! So Metal is currently deactivated and gathering up dust somewhere in Eggman's lair. At this point, the Doctor can't even remember where he left him!

Shadow: After he defeated Lyric singlehandedly (or so he claims), Shadow just sort of vanished. Maybe he's off brooding somewhere. Maybe he's searching for Lyric to make sure he's out of commission for good. Or maybe he's just as aware of The Fourth Wall as the others, and he loathes the idea of cameras following him everywhere. Either way, he'll show up when he's good and ready.

But in SC, Sonic and gang didn't know who Lyric was. So therefore SC can't be a sequel (or prequel) to RoL. Both games aren't meant to connect as part of an on-going story and are more of another example of the "let's have someone make a handheld version of the main Sonic console game" Sega's been doing since Colors. 

Ah I get it now. So the time travel plot has nothing to do with a connection between RoL and SC. Because there was no connection.  Its the same story told twice different ways...aight.

Well I still don't understand the time travel. 

Also, for me, Shadow is still intrinsically tied to the ARK and Maria. Without them, I have a hard time justifying his existence.  He had no purpose in the game either, he just...got in the way.  But this could lend to the idea that BRB planned for 2 more games.  We'd get to see more of Shadow to understand why he was there. There must have been a reason.