Awoo.

The Ratchet & Clank Topic - Rift Apart - RELEASE DATE: June 11th 2021

Ryannumber1gamer

1 hour ago, CrashRatchetFan said:

Give or take, if a sequel were to be made it'll be a cheap straight to DVD flick and none of the cast (besides the game cast anyway) will be returning. 

Trust me, this is what'll happen. 

So basically we really do have the 1986 Transformers the Movie scenario since that film also failed finically and critically which lead to the GI Joe movie going to home video.

Well I guess there's hope it may become a cult classic down the road someday.

39 minutes ago, SurrealBrain said:

Oh, man, that's probably be even worse...

Hey, it worked for Alpha & Omega and that shit's getting a sixth movie. 

I'd eat my hat if it weren't the case. 

To be frank, there wouldn't be much difference between a straight to DVD one and this one in terms of probable production costs anyway.

33 minutes ago, Tornado said:

To be frank, there wouldn't be much difference between a straight to DVD one and this one in terms of probable production costs anyway.

Pretty much. Insomniac had to share their game assets with Rainmaker to streamline production costs for the film and visa-versa for the game. 

• Thumbs Up 1

My point was more that Rainmaker themselves are hardly Dreamworks or Pixar, but that's true as well.

To be fair though, I think the animation in both the game and movie was pretty good, so I don't particularly mind shared assets as long as they are still very high quality, which they were in my eyes anyway.

AngryJoe's review. Buy the game, it's amazing, skip the movie. 

I disagree with some of the things he says though.

46 minutes ago, Tornado said:

My point was more that Rainmaker themselves are hardly Dreamworks or Pixar, but that's true as well.

I don't think anyone was expecting a Dreamworks/Pixar/Disney mega hit from the film. It's certainly not a terrible film but not a great film either.

It strikes me as odd that Sony couldn't have gotten one of their animation studios to handle the film since they own the IP. Imageworks' efforts on Angry Birds looks promising and is close to the source material so I don't understand why Insommiac couldn't go with them. 

Maybe they had plenty of other things on the table and couldn't do it?

I just realised something; the film has been criticized for kind of expecting you to already be a fan of the games to fully appreciate it. You know what else was criticized for it? The 2007 TMNT film.

Why do I bring that film up? Kevin Munroe directed both films. Given that it's been almost 9 years since the 2007 TMNT film (and even if you assume the film was finished, but delayed to give the game more time to polish up, that still leaves 8 years)...yeah, as much as I enjoyed both films, it does seem like it's something Kevin didn't learn from back in 2007.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, SurrealBrain said:

Maybe they had plenty of other things on the table and couldn't do it?

I just realised something; the film has been criticized for kind of expecting you to already be a fan of the games to fully appreciate it. You know what else was criticized for it? The 2007 TMNT film.

Why do I bring that film up? Kevin Munroe directed both films. Given that it's been almost 9 years since the 2007 TMNT film (and even if you assume the film was finished, but delayed to give the game more time to polish up, that still leaves 8 years)...yeah, as much as I enjoyed both films, it does seem like it's something Kevin didn't learn from back in 2007.

Weird thing is that Kevin Munroe was not seen nor mentioned when word broke out about the movie back in 2013. The only one who was taking the director's chair was Jericca Cleland at the time.

Guess was desperate and needed the money? Going by his track record, it's not the greatest thing out there. Fixman stated that he and one of the other writers had creative differences about the film which prompted him to leave. Who knows what went down but it should be noted that he was also going to direct the Sly Cooper film but seeing as how this film is failing below expectations, that film will be dead in the water.

Someone remade the PS4 trailer of Ratchet in the original PS2 game. It's pretty awesome.

Here's a comparison video as well.

18 hours ago, CrashRatchetFan said:

I don't think anyone was expecting a Dreamworks/Pixar/Disney mega hit from the film. It's certainly not a terrible film but not a great film either.

It strikes me as odd that Sony couldn't have gotten one of their animation studios to handle the film since they own the IP. Imageworks' efforts on Angry Birds looks promising and is close to the source material so I don't understand why Insommiac couldn't go with them. 

I'm not talking about film quality, or implying that Rainmaker lack the ability to make a good film. I'm talking purely about costs. Sony could have handed it off to Sony Imageworks, but Sony Imageworks is a company that makes movies that (while half the price of typical Pixar or Dreamworks offerings) are still all around 80 million dollars a pop. The Angry Birds movie, for example, has an 80 million dollar budget and a monstrous marketing budget, but Rovio themselves are putting up at least half of it. The studio simply may not be structured to handle a film with budget that is a quarter of that; and a Ratchet and Clank movie wasn't going to make money with an 80 million dollar pricetag no matter how much more money they threw at it to market it. It probably was simply cheaper to have an outside company handle production and distribution than for Sony to handle it themselves (particularly a company that had made some direct to DVD sequels of Sony Imageworks movies before anyway).

Now, in the long run the movie doesn't look like it's going to make money even with it's small budget; but the chance was there if it had met the opening weekend projections. Sony sees that and tries to make a sequel that's direct to DVD instead, well, hey. The production company that makes the first one usually makes direct to DVD movies anyway. Other than losing Paul Giamatti, Rosario Dawson and Stallone (!), there probably wouldn't be any casting difference either.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think Andre nailed the point for the movie, while some video game movies tries to aim for a mainstream audience, it loses the fans of the games themselves. But for this movie, it seems that this movie is really aiming for the fans of the games but it doesn't od much to appeal to the mainstream audience. And the fact that the movie is so connected to the remake, you might as well play the game instead.

Makes sense to me, so I guess the Sonic OVA is still the best video game movie we'll ever have then.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, sansy said:

I think Andre nailed the point for the movie, while some video game movies tries to aim for a mainstream audience, it loses the fans of the games themselves. But for this movie, it seems that this movie is really aiming for the fans of the games but it doesn't od much to appeal to the mainstream audience. And the fact that the movie is so connected to the remake, you might as well play the game instead.

Makes sense to me, so I guess the Sonic OVA is still the best video game movie we'll ever have then.

Except the Professor Layton movie proved that you can appeal to both audiences and make a great movie at the same time, there's no excuse other movies can't do the same, making that the movie adaptation of a video game:

Animat even got excited to try the games which he knew nothing about before watching.

I didn't say that you can't appeal to both the fans and the general audience, but it seems like the R&C movie is only aiming for the fans which is why critics aren't as forgiving for it since they don't know anything about the series and why should you need to play the games to understand a movie?

Not to mention, yeah, it's good to want to attract fans, but do keep in mind that an adaptation will most likely be someone's first exposure to a franchise.

Gotta keep that in mind.

• Thumbs Up 3

Yea, this film bombed. Guess that's the end of the Sly Cooper film they were planning (and Ratchet's film career at that). 

55 minutes ago, CrashRatchetFan said:

Yea, this film bombed. Guess that's the end of the Sly Cooper film they were planning (and Ratchet's film career at that). 

Assuming they're not too far in production to quit on it now, of course. If they are, though, then I half expect the Sly Cooper film to be direct to video...assuming it isn't cancelled outright.

53 minutes ago, SurrealBrain said:

Assuming they're not too far in production to quit on it now, of course. If they are, though, then I half expect the Sly Cooper film to be direct to video...assuming it isn't cancelled outright.

I thought Munroe stated in an interview that Sly didn't even start production as they were waiting on how well Ratchet performed? They wouldn't want to put all of their eggs in one basket and waste money if Ratchet flopped (which it did). 

I also find it strange that there was no word of the film two years after the teaser made headlines. 

5 hours ago, CrashRatchetFan said:

I thought Munroe stated in an interview that Sly didn't even start production as they were waiting on how well Ratchet performed? They wouldn't want to put all of their eggs in one basket and waste money if Ratchet flopped (which it did). 

I also find it strange that there was no word of the film two years after the teaser made headlines. 

If they didn't want to put their eggs in one basket they shouldn't have announced the movie in the first place. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I finally got the trick for Infinite Bolts and other things uploaded.

Well, it's ashamed to hear about the film adaptation performing poorly, but at the very least it sounds like the game version of it was pretty solid.

Update 1.04 is live:

***There is one open issue we are investigating where a player can lose their weapons (back to the vendor) when starting a new Challenge Mode. We believe the issue is starting Challenge Mode from Clank gameplay. We advise you either click Challenge Mode right after the final boss OR make sure your are Ratchet when starting a new Challenge Mode.

Update 1.04

Photo Mode
- Use "No HUD" cheat with the Plasma Striker zoom

Audio
-Big Al's audio should now properly play

Trophies
- Tech Head - Trophy should unlock properly

Bugs
-Fixed issue where Kerwan train sequence wouldn't start.
-Fixed issue on Pokitaru where Big Al/Felton would not progress back to ship.
-Fixed issue where crates would disappear at certain camera angles.
-Fixed issue on Nebula G34 where player could not progress after boss fight.
-Fixed issue where boost rings would sometimes disappear during hoverboard races.
-The Bouncer now retains XP and upgrades if entitlement is lost.
-Omega weapons now show proper v6 model at vendor.
-Additional fixes for missing Hologuise.
-Fixed issues where player would get stuck on Quartu (door not opening and jetpack station).
-Fixed issues where players could get stuck when dying at the same time as boss on Quartu.
-Fixed issue where swingshots would not appear on Veldin (at night).

Other various bug fixes and improvements

Out of this list; the issue where boost rings would sometimes disappear during hoverboard races was the only issue I encountered, which was a pain in the ass when I was trying to get the fastest time trophies!

Photo mode...

homero.gif

I'm taking this with a massive grain of salt but...

image.jpeg

So if what he's saying is true, the director fudged things up to make it his own thing and the results speak for themselves. Just be thankful that Munroe probably won't get his grubby little hands on Sly Cooper with how bad this film is doing. 

Link to thread here:
www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=202687135#post202687135

as opposed to the bad reviews, i didn't expect the movie to bomb at the box office. the game seemed to build alot of hype and sell well to raise good awareness for the film. iam really don't understand it in an "curious film buff or casual moviegoer who want to judge this movie based on his own viewing" way,

also why do film companies keep hiring directors with already bad track records. looking back i still kinda like the 2007 tmnt film, but dylan dog was slammed by critics horribly. 

• Thumbs Up 1