Awoo.

The Ratchet & Clank Topic - Rift Apart - RELEASE DATE: June 11th 2021

Ryannumber1gamer

I hope you guys are ready for a long post, cause I have quite a bit to say here.

So, I ended up watching the Ratchet and Clank movie at a theater on Friday. Unfortunately on that week, my local theater took the movie out and the only place near me was a town miles away from my own. In the end, I was really curious enough to see this movie, so I decided to head on out anyways. I knew the reception the movie was getting, so I can't say I was surprised to see I was the only one in the theater.

Prior to watching the movie, I only had a general knowledge of the series. I've only played Ratchet and Clank 1 and Going Commando, not even completing them (For some reason...) and I've never had the chance to play the games on PS3, since I lacked one. So why would I be interested in the movie? Well, despite me not completing the two games, I remember I really liked the gameplay, the characters and the art direction. So when I first heard the movie was being made, I was interested! A video game movie that actually looks pretty close to the game! 

I admit, the reviews did kind of make me a little cautious, but I was still interested. I went into the movie with no exectations... I could end up liking it or hating it... So, what did I think?

I actually really enjoyed it! However, I can see why people wouldn't like it, fans of the games or not.

Pacing felt very quick at times, some of the characters weren't too memorable (I actually have trouble remembering the names of the members in Captain Qwark's team) and some of the jokes were pretty cheesy, here and there special mentions go to the meanwhile subtitles (They got pretty old, real fast) and the robot with the Wilhelm scream being named "Wilhelm." I heard there was a bit of a conflict with the writers, and at times I feel like it showed.

Flaws aside though, I thought it was a lot of fun, the main characters were great, the animation looked nice, the voice actors did their job well, and the story, while kind of simple, was passable. And even though I've only played the first two games (And never completed them as I mentioned) There were some parts that made me feel a little nostalgic, and made me wonder why I stopped playing it.

Getting off the subject for the movie for a bit, I ended up buying Up Your Arsenal at a local game store (They didn't have Going Commando, unfortunately), and beat the first game this weekend. Despite it's flaws, I thought it was a lot of fun... But you guys weren't kidding about Ratchet being a selfish jerk, in this game, sheesh! That's actually something I'm glad the movie changed, along with Captain Qwark having some reason for helping out Chairman Drek, even if it was a quick scene.

I just started on Up your Arsenal, and so far, I'm really digging it. If I ever get a PS3, I'll be interested in checking out the games for that, and if by some chance I get a PS4, I'll  definitely be getting the game adaptation of the movie.

In a way, seeing the movie actually got me more interested in the Ratchet and Clank series than I already was! In the end, I can safely say I'm glad I went to see it.

• Thumbs Up 3

So if you want to add another hour or two of new things to do for your Ratchet PS4 game, Son of a Glitch has a full 12 minute video of glitches.

Insomniac has shown they're aware it's Ratchet's 15th anniversary and....we seem to not be getting any of worth for it. There's no Future collection incoming, or collection of the PS2 titles like they did for Kingdom Hearts 1.5 + 2.5. There's no game coming (Since it would've been announced by this point). All we know is there's potential merch coming, including of all the weird things, pins.

• 1 month later...

In more news that's kind of meh, Ratchet's been announced to be receiving an artbook from Insomniac including artwork from all of the games supposedly. Personally, I'm hoping it goes a step further and includes concept art for the comic series and the movie.

It seems Insomniac's planning on releasing a variety of merchandise this year if the artbook is anything to go by, and on top of that, it's seemingly coming from IDW, wonder if there's any chance of getting a second Ratchet comic. 

• 2 years later...

Here's the gameplay of Rifts Apart, showing off the new Rift Tether mechanic, and some of the new weapons. 

For the record - Rifts Apart seems to be based on the regular canon of the series, and not the Movie universe. Dr. Nefarious is back as the main villain - and Ratchet is in his Nexus and All 4 One outfit. It seems to indicate that this takes place after the Future series. 

I have been waiting for a big fat honest to god Crack In Time Successor forever. Nexus I loved, but it was over so soon, was an appetizer, and I been waiting since then for dinner! I didn't play the PS4 game cause I skipped the PS4 but the fact it was just reimagining the first to tie it into the crappy movie made e feel like I wasn't missing too much. This shit here tho? This is what I'm after!

Honestly I wasn't sure if they'd return to the original storyline or go forward from the remake using that a new starting point, or even if the franchise would continue. This definitely looks like it's following Nexus, so that's got me super stoked! God knows if I will actually take the plunge on a PS5, but man does this have me lookin' in that direction.

• Thumbs Up 3

Spoiler

Nexus iir ended with Clank keeping the broken dimensionator despite Ratchet wanting to dispose of it, so i wonder if the shenanigans in this new game are a result of that.

• Thumbs Up 1

It wouldn't surprise me. What seriously concerns me is that new female Lombax, and a Nefarious ruled planet. It looks like Nefarious somehow used the rifts to achieve his plan to rewrite time to make himself win.

I thought for sure that new Spider-Man game was gonna be it from Insomniac, as far as the PS5 announcements were concerned. I'm happy to know it was a one-two punch of stuff I've been looking forward to from them.

With all the crazy rift-hopping hijinks our duo is up to here, the possibilities are endless for what we might see. That new Lombax girl in particular has my interest.

5 hours ago, Chili Dawg said:

I have been waiting for a big fat honest to god Crack In Time Successor forever. Nexus I loved, but it was over so soon, was an appetizer, and I been waiting since then for dinner! I didn't play the PS4 game cause I skipped the PS4 but the fact it was just reimagining the first to tie it into the crappy movie made e feel like I wasn't missing too much. This shit here tho? This is what I'm after!

Honestly I wasn't sure if they'd return to the original storyline or go forward from the remake using that a new starting point, or even if the franchise would continue. This definitely looks like it's following Nexus, so that's got me super stoked! God knows if I will actually take the plunge on a PS5, but man does this have me lookin' in that direction.

The PS5 is already confirmed to be backwards compatable - odds are that you can play Ratchet PS4 on a PS5 if you wanted. Helps that the game is usually sold for dirt cheap on sales nowadays.

Nefarious is the villain again? Ugh. Make new villains, stop reusing him. He's not even that great.

The gameplay and graphics look very nice as usual for R&C. This is probably one of the games I get at launch. It's nice we're not returning to the movie universe, but to be honest, the Future series isn't exactly great either. Lots of dumb character choices. Hopefully the level design is much better than 2016's, too.

But, why are they splitting them up again?? I hated only having them together for like 10 minutes in Crack in Time and now they're seemingly doing again. I hope them being split up is just Clank being with girl Lombax instead of Ratchet, sometimes and the rest is him with Ratchet again. >_>

4 hours ago, Marcello said:

Nefarious is the villain again? Ugh. Make new villains, stop reusing him. He's not even that great.

He's the most popular villain, so that's probably why. Its excessive, but what can you do.

In fairness, I can understand the use of Nefarious - this seems to be an overall celebration of the series, with enemies spanning through Ratchet & Clank's history - you can see Nefarious' minions, the pirate crew from Tools, the robot dogs in Metropolis from the first game - and given how there's Megacorp and Protopet ads, it's possible we'll see the Protopets too.

It makes sense to use Nefarious in that prospect, since he's the closest to an arch-enemy Ratchet has. If it was anyone else, the impact of a dimension being taken over like this would probably lose impact - especially since it's essentially a world where Nefarious succeeded in A Crack in Time, and erased his failures - he rules over a city with an iron grip, his minions are everywhere, and he's hunting down Lombaxes - which fits with his hunt for Azmith in ACiT. It'd be like if in Sonic Forces, it wasn't Eggman who ruled with an iron fist, but Zavok, or hell - Infinite - given he was a new villain then.

In all honesty, I think Nefarious is one of the best villains PlayStation have in general, the only game I really disliked his presence was in the 2016 movie game, because he just existed to ruin Drek's character even further than they already had by making him "funny meme business man". 

• Thumbs Up 1

The mystery Lombax girl is confirmed to be a playable character. Not all that surprising, but...

• 1 month later...

my hope is that this game either has awesome bangers like the first game, or phenomenal atmosphere from Tools of Destruction. they're both one of my favorite soundtracks.

I hope these new weapons are cool, the negotiator is one of my favorite weapons, for it's icon, it's design, and it's stellar damage outputs. I hope they have a weapon similar than this, but make it unique in some way. the three weapons they've shown are nice.

• The pistol gun has a fast firing rate, I guess it'll have love damage output.
  • The shotgun weapon looks cool, It's a pretty promising weapon compared to the shard reaper.
  • The uhh... flower weapon, is interesting: a weapon that generates a field of flowers that apparently does splash damage to those who step on it. wonder how it will feel in the game.

the game feels smooth, ratchet doesn't move as fast as he usually is. If it's 30fps then I'd be fine, but I'd rather have 60fps, It feels a lot better to be honest.

I'm really interested in the new female Lombax character, everyone in every website is (and I mean every website) I'm curious on how she'll play, with her robot arm and hammer. will she have a new combo? what are her weapons? how'll she move? I'm quite excited to play this game, I hope I have enough money to get it, though.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

Rift Apart will be making an appearance at gamescom Opening Night Live this Thursday:

They're apparently going to show an uncut longer version of the demo we saw during its initial reveal.

• Thumbs Up 3

Firstly - extended demo:

Secondly - the developers have confirmed that Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart will be releasing within the PS5 Launch Window!

Also, the question of "Does this take place after Into the Nexus, or is it in the 2016 movie continuity?" has been answered. It's the former case.

But Insomniac is still teasing us by keeping the female Lombax's name under wraps. I suppose I can't blame 'em; they gotta keep people interested in the plot somehow.

4 minutes ago, SonicWind said:

But Insomniac is still teasing us by keeping the female Lombax's name under wraps. I suppose I can't blame 'em; they gotta keep people interested in the plot somehow.

I'm still putting my bets on Sprockette.