Awoo.

The Ratchet & Clank Topic - Rift Apart - RELEASE DATE: June 11th 2021

Ryannumber1gamer

Ratchet & Clank is a franchise that should familiar to a lot of people, and who could blame you? They're one of the classic PlayStation mascots that's managed to live on for a long time with it's unique brand of shooter and platforming gameplay, great brand of humour, and charming characters. In recent years, Ratchet disappeared for a bit, only being in smaller budget titles, however in 2016, Ratchet made a comeback with a movie and a PS4 remake of the original PS2 title, which a lot of people really enjoyed. It's now approaching the 15 year anniversary of Ratchet & Clank, and with that, there's plenty of fun titles involving the two and hopefully more to come. Feel free to use this topic to discuss the series.

• Thumbs Up 5

I've been a fan of this series since the day the original game came out. I'm not stopping now-- or ever.

Yeah, it's a darn shame the movie and its tie-in game had to be delayed, but hey-- what's one year compared to the awesome sight of two of my childhood heroes in their very own feature film and being able to play the series' debut on the PS4, which will no doubt look gorgeous?

Anybody else find it weird how the distributor (Focus Features) who's releasing the Ratchet movie is a division of Universal Studios, who used to own an Insomniac creation (i.e. Spyro)?

I'm sure it'll be different for distribution outside the USA but you know... just a fun fact.

That'd be an interesting conversation.

Insomniac: ''Oh hey guys! Long time no see! It's been what? 10 years?

Universal: ''Yep. Sure has! Seems like just yesterday that you guys were here making Spyro games for us! Great to see you guys got great success after that!''

Insomniac: ''Speaking of everyone's favourite dragon! How's Spyro been working for you guys''

Universal: ''Yeahhhhh, about that. We sort of...sold him to Activision''

Insomniac: ''WAIT WHAT?! THEY'RE THE WORST! WHAT ABOUT CRASH!?''

Universal: ''We...sold him too...''

Insomniac: ''...''

• Thumbs Up 3

That'd be an interesting conversation.

Insomniac: ''Oh hey guys! Long time no see! It's been what? 10 years?

Universal: ''Yep. Sure has! Seems like just yesterday that you guys were here making Spyro games for us! Great to see you guys got great success after that!''

Insomniac: ''Speaking of everyone's favourite dragon! How's Spyro been working for you guys''

Universal: ''Yeahhhhh, about that. We sort of...sold him to Activision''

Insomniac: ''WAIT WHAT?! THEY'RE THE WORST! WHAT ABOUT CRASH!?''

Universal: ''We...sold him too...''

Insomniac: ''...''

I was initially disappointed at the movie delay for the sake of a game tie-in, but it was the right move at the end of the day.

Why? Because there's two ways you can make tie-ins work.

With this, the completed product is delayed so the incomplete product can catch up.

The other way is the incomplete product is rushed out to meet the release of the other tie-in products... this is what happened with Rise of Lyric.

I'm still disappointed either way, but I guess it's more reason to hope 2015 flies by so I can embrace the awesomesauce of being assaulted by Sly, Ratchet and Sonic in quick succession next year.

Being a person who doesn't use the Playstation often, (if even at all) I haven't played any of the Ratchet and Clank games but I'm really, really excited for the movie as the characters seem very fun! Who knows? Maybe I'll join the R&C fanbase and snatch the Playstation from my dad after the movie!

Not surprised the movie was delayed. We haven't heard anything from it for ages and it was supposed to come out this summer too! Shame about the PS4 game being delayed as well but eh, I can survive one more year without owning a PS4. =P

I'm confident we'll at least see the announce trailer for Ratchet PS4 at E3.

If Ratchet has no presence at E3 I'm going to have a fucking conniption.

If you guys know anything about me, then you'll know that I am an avid fan of the Ratchet and Clank franchise. I absolutely adore the game series, the world and its characters and I think it is easily one of the best long running game series of the past decade. If I didn't think so I don't think I'd blow $200 on a statue modeled after the box art of the original game. I'm basically a living and breathing strategy guide for the series because I have played the games so much.

It really disappointed me to see both the film and the PlayStation 4 game delayed to next year. They were far and away the two main things that I was looking forward to (outside of conventions and events) this year. At this point, I expect no less than the best game in the series when it releases in Spring of 2016. I already more or less expected that after playing through Into the Nexus (which is in my personal top three despite being a shorter / budget title), but with that many months added on to development? It better. I guess this gives me more time to finish my finish my run through of the entire main series again tho', so it's not all bad.

I think the main thing that scares me about this re-imagined universe and film tie in is that I really enjoyed everything built up in the main series so far and I don't want them to abandon that. Into the Nexus could very well be a fine place to end and start anew but I just.. don't want them to. The development that these characters have had over the years is part of the reason I've grown to enjoy them so much and Into the Nexus is a major part of that. As much as I specifically wanted a remake and/or re-imagining of the original game (I legitimately talked about Insomniac doing this after finishing Into the Nexus), I still want the long standing fans to continue getting what they are used to.

Damn, I'm excited for this new game tho'. If there is a single game in the Ratchet series that needed to be redone it's the first game. It's full of so much stupid garbage that I can barely stand running through it from beginning to end. I could ramble on and on all day about the issues I have with it but that should be reserved for people who are actually curious. I think I've said more than enough. If you ever need help with a Ratchet game or just want to pick my brain about the series, don't hesitate. It's legitimately one of my favorite things to do.

• Thumbs Up 7

I actually played Nexus about 3 separate times in a short time just to try get the platinum (Which I did get, along with the platinum of QForce) and it burned me out on Nexus so much. Still, it's a pretty damn great Ratchet game and blows Quest for Booty out of the water.

Don't suppose anyone here who has All 4 One would want to help me platinum it?

Well, just some level specific trophies, hero bolts, and one or two RYNO pieces I think.

I for one would be royally pissed if they decided to reboot the franchise.

That cliffhanger at the end of Into the Nexus has me imagining what sorts of things Ratchet would find if he did go to where the Lombaxes are.

Something tells me it might not be all sunshine and roses.

• Thumbs Up 5

If anything, the new Ratchet & Clank game will be the number one reason for me to get a PS4. It is just a great franchise that I keep coming back to time and time and a crack in time again.

But if it is a reboot, like Ogilvie says, then goddamnit. The franchise built up so much lore with so many loose ends. Tossing all that away is like throwing away a finished report to start again.

The Rotoscopers made an article with more details about the Ratchet & Clank movie, including the voice cast.

http://www.rotoscopers.com/2015/05/14/ratchet-clank-adds-high-profile-names-to-voice-cast-new-release-date-and-distributor/

Ratchet & Clank has also beefed up its cast with a handful of A-list talent. Joining original actors James Arnold Taylor, David Kaye, and Jim Ward (as Ratchet, Clank, and Captain Qwark respectively) is Paul Giamatti as Chairman Drek (the main villain), John Goodman as Grimroth (Ratchet’s mentor), Bella Thorne as Cora (a member of Qwark’s Galactic Rangers), Rosario Dawson as Elaris (A member of the Galactic Rangers’ support team), with Sylvester Stallone as Victor Von Ion (Drek’s lieutenant), and Armin Shimerman rounding out the cast as Doctor Nefarious (the games’ overall antagonist).

An April release date for next year isn't so bad. At least it's fairly early in the year! Although for those wondering if the PS4 game is a reboot or not, I have a feeling it is judging by this bit here... =[

Fans of the video game will also be like this little tidbit: A new video game is also being released to coincide with the movie. Like the movie, the game will re-tell the origin story and is expected to heavily tie-in and expand upon the film’s story.

The only game on the PS4 lineup that I have been interested in has been delayed another year? guess I got another reason to just try and get a cheap PS3 then.

I own and have completed all the PS2 games, and I got a chance to play through CIT and WOD a few years back and they were fun. Would love to pickup all the PS3 ones(even the iffy ones) if I could manage to get a PS3 cheap enough, but it isn't a priority

Well, just some level specific trophies, hero bolts, and one or two RYNO pieces I think.

I could try to help you out sometime this weekend. Weekdays are usually a no go for me due to work. I might mess around a bit tonight to give myself a refresher. Kinda wish I didn't lose my 100% save when my original PS3 broke.

I got the Ratchet & Clank HD trilogy and I'm thinking of starting up the first one very soon. I suddenly hear it's not that great though, but in what way? Is there anything I should know about before I play it?

I got the Ratchet & Clank HD trilogy and I'm thinking of starting up the first one very soon. I suddenly hear it's not that great though, but in what way? Is there anything I should know about before I play it?

Be paitent, and be good, its very rough and unforgiving, and other than an exploit or two, there is no way to get bolts easily

• Thumbs Up 1

1) Ratchet himself is a downright awful character for 90% of the story. I don't care what justifications people give for him. He is garbage.

2) Combat involves haphazardly running back and forth between the ranges of enemy attacks due to a lack of the strafe feature present in literally every other game afterward.

3) I'm pretty sure that the original order of the planets was changed late into the game's development because there are so many changes in difficulty during various parts of the game. This is also ignoring the placements of various gadget related gimmicks which force you to emit a "What the fuck?" when you realize how much later you acquire them.

4) Your inventory gets filled with a lot of useless or painfully situational shit that is mandatory for completing the game. This is even more frustrating because:

5) Everything is ungodly expensive in this game and bolts are few and far between enough that you're always kind of throttled and it makes for a really frustrating experience at times. You can't get 100% in the game without playing through it roughly five times.

6) Checkpoints are arranged horribly. Dying in the later levels will send you backwards ridiculous distances and revive enemies. Then you're forced to deal with more janky combat. Nice.

It's not terrible but after playing it from beginning to end several dozen times over the past 12 years you start to really catch wind of how bad its first game syndrome is.

My first experience of R&C was the HD trilogy of the original PS2 games, which I got last year. I played through all three game (including new-game plus mode runs) and I absolutely love the gameplay. It's hard and very addictive.

I appreciate that whilst the constant trial and error nature of the gameplay (you will die a lot to begin with) might not be for all, the fact that you keep all the bolts collected when you die means you can keep upgrading your weapons. So if you were struggling to get passed an area, it will get easier. The games all have nice graphics and excellent music.

New Game-Plus works really well in that whilst the enemies are a lot tougher, because you keep your powered-up weapons from the first playthrough, which you can power-up even more in new game-plus, effectively new game-plus is a lot easier even though it gives the illusion of being harder. You can play new game-plus an unlimited number of times (I think) which means you never have to start a new game if you don't want to.

As for the original trilogy, my favorite is the second game. R&C 1 is good, if a bit slow paced. The second game is faster paced, and has more interesting polished gameplay overall. The third game is also very good, but instead of improving the winning formula which was established in the second game, it just pads it out which lots of extra combat arenas which slightly hurts the overall experience (not to mention that horrible looking yellow colored menu).

I've just started playing Ratchet & Clank Nexus which I've never played before. I'm playing it on the PS Now UK beta. Lucky me!

I notice that unlike the original trilogy, Nexus has different difficulty settings. Which difficulty setting would you recommend? Easy, medium or hard?

If you're relatively new to the series I'd just go ahead and say play it on Normal / Hero. I jumped in on Hard / Legend and the beginning kind of kicked my ass but it levels out later as you progress. That or maybe I'm just godlike.

If you're relatively new to the series I'd just go ahead and say play it on Normal / Hero. I jumped in on Hard / Legend and the beginning kind of kicked my ass but it levels out later as you progress. That or maybe I'm just godlike.

Okay, I'll give it a go on Normal.

I also want to play the other modern games; Tool of Destruction and Crack in Time which I hear are rather good. What are your thoughts on them?

This review details everything wrong with the HD porting:

http://www.wynkle.com/ratchet-clank-collection/

Is Idol Minds even around anymore?