Awoo.

The Ratchet & Clank Topic - Rift Apart - RELEASE DATE: June 11th 2021

Ryannumber1gamer

I also want to play the other modern games; Tool of Destruction and Crack in Time which I hear are rather good. What are your thoughts on them?

Tools of Destruction is pretty solid. It lacks some polish in various areas and brings back / introduces some things that kind of annoy me but it's a very worthwhile experience. It has a little bit of everything from the older games which, in a way, is really cool but I don't think it is executed anywhere near as well. It does introduce some great recurring things too though! Gotta take the good with the bad.

It's the first story driven title in the series and that's the main reason I appreciate it as much as I do. Into the Nexus is tied strongly to Tools of Destruction and A Crack in Time so if you care about the story I'd recommend playing them in order. Into the Nexus kind of spoils all the major plot elements of those games without a care.

I also suggest that everyone here who wants the full story should read the comic miniseries by DC. Not only is the art great and the story written by the person who writes the games, it features the same great humour featured in the games. It's important if you want the full story as it ties in the gap between A Crack in Time and All 4 One, explaining stuff like why Qwark is president in All 4 One and why Ratchet & Clank are retired, as well as finally introducing Sasha and classic series characters into the Future universe.

Yo, thanks for this topic! I've been wondering what was up with the movie release. I'm a little bummed that it's going to be another year, but I can deal with that I suppose. Also I didn't know there was gonna be a tie-in game. Ratchet and Clank: The Movie: The Game!

All jokes aside, I don't think a tie-in movie is a bad idea at all. As long as it's just a "soft reboot" of sorts to get new fans introduced, and of course, as long as it's a legit R&C game, I think it could increase publicity of the series as a whole.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm slightly concerned about the HD trilogy being kinda glitchy in the graphics department but I hope that doesn't deter my enjoyment of playing the games.

5) Everything is ungodly expensive in this game and bolts are few and far between enough that you're always kind of throttled and it makes for a really frustrating experience at times. You can't get 100% in the game without playing through it roughly five times.

?????

I was able to get all of the most important weapons/items on my first playthrough last time, then all of the less useful/gimmicky ones on my second playthrough. I think I might have even gotten the RYNO on my first playthrough too with just a teensy bit of grinding for bolts; either that or I got it on my second playthrough. (Although, the RYNO is just an unnecessary game-breaker, anyway.)

How on earth did it take you 5 times to get 100%? More importantly, why would you play through the game 5 times when grinding in the Giant Clank arena is so much faster?

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm slightly concerned about the HD trilogy being kinda glitchy in the graphics department but I hope that doesn't deter my enjoyment of playing the games.

One general rule of thumb for R&C1:

If a weapon in the vender sounds like it'd be gimmicky, avoid wasting your bolts on it. Only buy the weapons which sound like they'd be effective in combat (e.g. a flamethrower, a rapid-fire blaster, a rocket launcher, a lightning gun, etc.).

I was able to get all of the most important weapons/items on my first playthrough last time, then all of the less useful/gimmicky ones on my second playthrough. I think I might have even gotten the RYNO on my first playthrough too with just a teensy bit of grinding for bolts; either that or I got it on my second playthrough. (Although, the RYNO is just an unnecessary game-breaker, anyway.)

How on earth did it take you 5 times to get 100%? More importantly, why would you play through the game 5 times when grinding in the Giant Clank arena is so much faster?

Okay I'm sorry I actually need to clarify. When I meant 100% I actually meant the platinum trophy in the Ratchet and Clank Collection / Trilogy. There is a trophy required for platinum called Bolt Collector which requires 1,000,000 bolts acquired and it only takes about half of that to get everything in the game. Made me rage so much.

There's literally no way that you could have gotten the RYNO in your first play through of the game while grabbing most of the primary weapons unless you were grinding like a mad man and didn't really bother continuing the story. Your first challenge mode run of the game is basically a decision of "Do I want to buy the RYNO or do I want to get most of the Gold Weapons?" It takes about three. So.. two and a half runs at the most.

The Giant Clank arena is dumb and stupid so I didn't bother grinding there. I just wanted to play whatever bit of game was left. I really really really despise needless grinding in games and that's part of the reason why the original game is so unbelievably annoying to me. You don't feel anywhere near as throttled going through other games in the series.

Oh. Don't even start about that trophy. That's the one trophy that's stopping me from getting the platinum. It's such an idiotic trophy idea.

I did it. I actually got it. I took a huge break from the game (because I moved on to the others and lost my save file) but I finally did it.

I did it. I actually got it. I took a huge break from the game (because I moved on to the others and lost my save file) but I finally did it.

Congrats!

I'm actually planning to go back through all the games again so hopefully, I'll get the platinum on my next playthrough

To add onto what I was thinking earlier...

Vengeance is a pretty powerful emotion. Just look at Ratchet in the very first game. If he can fall to it, so can any other Lombax.

I basically pondered if while many Lombaxes are peaceniks despite their love of destructive weaponry, if there's a small subset of the population who'd want revenge on Tachyon if they ever got loose. Now, they'd find the Cragmites are gone again, but the experience with Tachyon might leave them embittered and not exactly devoted to peaceful coexistence with other civilizations.

"Doesn't that sound like Azimuth?" Not exactly. Azimuth might have been an extremist, but you could say his intentions were good without a doubt. He just didn't want to listen to reason until the very end, because he was so hellbent on atoning for his sins. One will note that Alister thought it was fine to kill people in the present, because he'd just undo their deaths when he changed the timeline anyway; it's sort of like how Batman killed a guy in the Flashpoint movie, but justified it by saying the murder would never happen once the timeline was fixed.

I'm talking people who started out with semi-noble intentions (avenging the Lombax defeat) but gradually went completely off the deep end into outright morally questionable territory. It's very easy to lose sight of the goal that made you extremist in the first place, and put you on the path to downright evil territory. Alister never lost sight of his goal.

Just one idea, though. I just find it hard to believe Lombaxland is some great utopia without some sort of downside.

I got the Ratchet & Clank HD trilogy and I'm thinking of starting up the first one very soon. I suddenly hear it's not that great though, but in what way? Is there anything I should know about before I play it?

I'll add onto what Chooch said and mention it has those god awful sharks.

...what? I'm the only one who was scared shitless by those things as as a youngling?

...I'll go sit in my corner.

There's literally no way that you could have gotten the RYNO in your first play through of the game while grabbing most of the primary weapons unless you were grinding like a mad man and didn't really bother continuing the story. Your first challenge mode run of the game is basically a decision of "Do I want to buy the RYNO or do I want to get most of the Gold Weapons?" It takes about three. So.. two and a half runs at the most.

The Giant Clank arena is dumb and stupid so I didn't bother grinding there. I just wanted to play whatever bit of game was left. I really really really despise needless grinding in games and that's part of the reason why the original game is so unbelievably annoying to me. You don't feel anywhere near as throttled going through other games in the series.

It was a combination of grinding in the Giant Clank arena and not spending my bolts on the near-useless gimmicky weapons (I always save buying those and their Gold versions for last). Sure, you may think that the Giant Clank arena is dumb and stupid (and indeed Giant Clank is rather slow and clunky), but gaining lots of bolts is much faster there than playing through the game multiple times.

I've only played the PS2 version, btw. Definitely don't need to do the 1,000,000 bolt challenge there.

I've decided to play through the entire future trilogy. I've bought Tools of Destruction and Crack in Time. Should receive them (from Amazon) in a few days.

Is it worth getting Quest for Booty? I know Booty continues the story (between ToD & CiT) but I hear it's a relatively small game and you don't play as Clank?

Whilst I'm waiting for the other two games to arrive, I've been playing through Nexus (on Hero mode). Just finished Planet Yerek. I've enjoyed what I've played so far. The gameplay feels very similar to the PS2 games which is fine with me. Those pink tube things which transport you around Yerek are quite clever. The 2d Clank stages are okay, I guess. I'm quite happy with the graphics. The only problem I've had is switching between weapons. Sometimes "quick select" doesn't work properly and I can't change weapons. I also find selecting weapons in the weapons menu (using the analogue stick) is a bit cumbersome.  Other than, yeah it's good so far.

Once I receive Tools of Destruction I will stop playing Nexus and jump straight into ToD.

I've decided to play through the entire future trilogy. I've bought Tools of Destruction and Crack in Time. Should receive them (from Amazon) in a few days.

Is it worth getting Quest for Booty? I know Booty continues the story (between ToD & CiT) but I hear it's a relatively small game and you don't play as Clank?

Whilst I'm waiting for the other two games to arrive, I've been playing through Nexus (on Hero mode). Just finished Planet Yerek. I've enjoyed what I've played so far. The gameplay feels very similar to the PS2 games which is fine with me. Those pink tube things which transport you around Yerek are quite clever. The 2d other-dimension Clank stages are okay, I guess. I'm quite happy with the graphics. The only problem I've had is switching between weapons. Sometimes "quick select" doesn't work properly and I can't change weapons. I also find selecting weapons in the weapons menu (using the analogue stick) is a bit cumbersome.  Other than, yeah it's good so far.

Once I receive Tools of Destruction I will stop playing Nexus and jump straight into ToD.

Here's an interesting interview with the film's producer.

In the interview, it states they're making 2 other movies based on video games besides Ratchet and Sly. I'm calling Jak since that was originally a movie listed on their funding site.. as for the other... not gonna guess but I have my hopes (Crash pls).

I already knew every bit of information in that DidYouKnowGaming video because I am the greatest.

..Or a huge fucking loser but I'm just gonna go with the greatest.

• Thumbs Up 3

Here's an interesting interview with the film's producer.

In the interview, it states they're making 2 other movies based on video games besides Ratchet and Sly. I'm calling Jak since that was originally a movie listed on their funding site.. as for the other... not gonna guess but I have my hopes (Crash pls).

I really, really hope that this movie turns out to be good.

*fingers optimistically crossed*

I'm going to open a can full of worms but what the hell; what's the possibility if Sony rereleases and remasters the R&C Future Trilogy on the PS4? I mean, they're remastering God of War 3 for the PS4 right? Do you think Ratchet will be a likely candidate? 

So what's this I'm hearing about a reboot of the franchise due to the movie or the new entry on PS4?

Last I checked, the new Ratchet and Clank game was only going to reboot the first title. Where was it implied the whole franchise would undergo it?

Fourth movie is Ape Escape. If there is an all-loving god out there this will turn out to be true

• Thumbs Up 1

So what's this I'm hearing about a reboot of the franchise due to the movie or the new entry on PS4?

Last I checked, the new Ratchet and Clank game was only going to reboot the first title. Where was it implied the whole franchise would undergo it?

It is according to Insomniac. The person likely just got their facts mixed up.

Fourth movie is Ape Escape. If there is an all-loving god out there this will turn out to be true

But what about PaRappa!?

I don't recall any official statement from Insomniac about them rebooting the whole franchise with the film and the PS4 game. It's still being called a re-imagining of the first in the series that ties into the film.

People seem to assume its a reboot. I don't see the point though, even if Into the Nexus serves as a nice epilogue....I don't like reboots.

Just received my copy of Tools of Destruction.

triIng3.png

That was pretty fast, I only ordered it from Amazon on Friday evening.

People seem to assume its a reboot. I don't see the point though, even if Into the Nexus serves as a nice epilogue....I don't like reboots.

I think Insomniac said the remake will have the same stages (planets) as the original, but it'll have a slightly different back-story based on the movies different take of it. The idea being the game will help promote the movie and vica versa.

There's no indication the entire series is getting a reboot. So I guess this is a one-off. Although that could change if the movie is a success and they decide to do a sequel.

As much as I'm okay with the box art that the US got for Tools of Destruction, I like the EU box art so much more. I also wish we got a physical release for Quest For Booty and not just digital.