Awoo.

The Ratchet & Clank Topic - Rift Apart - RELEASE DATE: June 11th 2021

Ryannumber1gamer

As much as I'm okay with the box art that the US got for Tools of Destruction, I like the EU box art so much more. I also wish we got a physical release for Quest For Booty and not just digital.

You can actually buy the European retail release if you have the region free PS3.

I live in the U.S. and I bought it and works perfectly.

The fear of a reboot is more or less because of the same reason there were concerns Sonic Boom was going to be a reboot; it's a multimedia approach rather than just an adaption. Film changing things up? No surprise there, movies do that.

Given this IS a video game franchise, and it hasn't established non-canon universes as far as I know, there's understandable fear that a video game based on the film would interfere with the main timeline. Video games are the series' main turf. It'd be like after a film was released, the source material was rewritten to be just like the movie. It would be weird!

Then there's the fallout. Assuming a lot of younger people play this new re-imagining... they might expect games to take place right after it. They're not going to know who the hell Talwyn is (perhaps my scheme to successfully ship Ratchet with a Cooper will reach fruition yet) or what a Dimensionator does.

Which brings me to my next point...

People seem to assume its a reboot. I don't see the point though, even if Into the Nexus serves as a nice epilogue....I don't like reboots.

The point would be the assumption that consumers are dumb, lazy and disloyal, so there's no point in keeping a story going for more than a few years. The assumption is most fans leave a franchise after so many installments, so there's merit in regular reboots to bring new ones in to take their place.

In extreme cases, you end up with things like Sonic the Comic, where new stories cease entirely and it's just constant recycling of older ones.

Reboots are dumb in the modern age though. Just put all the older iterations of whatever - a comic, a game, etc. - in cheap digital format. Holy shit, it becomes easy to catch up to the current series. No need to throw away years of continuity.

In fact, it's painfully easy to get all the main games because they're all on PS3 readily available for purchase on the Playstation Store.

I would hate it if they do reboot the franchise entirely, especially after the cliffhanger at the end of Nexus. 

The fear of a reboot is more or less because of the same reason there were concerns Sonic Boom was going to be a reboot; it's a multimedia approach rather than just an adaption. Film changing things up? No surprise there, movies do that.Given this IS a video game franchise, and it hasn't established non-canon universes as far as I know, there's understandable fear that a video game based on the film would interfere with the main timeline. Video games are the series' main turf. It'd be like after a film was released, the source material was rewritten to be just like the movie. It would be weird!Then there's the fallout. Assuming a lot of younger people play this new re-imagining... they might expect games to take place right after it. They're not going to know who the hell Talwyn is (perhaps my scheme to successfully ship Ratchet with a Cooper will reach fruition yet) or what a Dimensionator does.Which brings me to my next point... The point would be the assumption that consumers are dumb, lazy and disloyal, so there's no point in keeping a story going for more than a few years. The assumption is most fans leave a franchise after so many installments, so there's merit in regular reboots to bring new ones in to take their place.In extreme cases, you end up with things like Sonic the Comic, where new stories cease entirely and it's just constant recycling of older ones.Reboots are dumb in the modern age though. Just put all the older iterations of whatever - a comic, a game, etc. - in cheap digital format. Holy shit, it becomes easy to catch up to the current series. No need to throw away years of continuity.

I think this is a really unnecessarily ugly way of looking at it. Ratchet & Clank is a series aimed primarily at children around the ages of 8-13 I'd say, but of course has high enough quality gameplay and writing that it appeals to adults as well. Thing is, when you and I were children playing Going Commando, a lot of the kids that are going to be the target audience of this movie hadn't even been born yet, let alone be old enough to play through that game.

Next year I'm going to be taking my eight year old niece to see the movie. Might bring her five year old sister as well, depending on what the previews look like. They're probably going to love it, and they'll probably become fans when they play the game as well. But then, the PS3 was the least popular console in the USA by a huuuuuuge margin last gen, so most of these kids probably don't have PS3s and probably won't be able to play the old games.

The fact is, this makes it easy for young children to fall in love with the series the same way we did, and honestly, it's not even without precedent. Tools of Destruction didn't really tie back into the older games much beyond a few shout-outs and references and most characters from the PS2 series weren't really seen again aside from Quark, Nefarious, and the plumber guy. I just don't see why this is such a big deal.

Yeah, but with Playstation Now, all of the games can always be streamed to PS4s, in fact, Nexus is already up on the UK PS Now Beta and apparently in the US, A Crack in Time, QForce/Full Frontal Assault, and Nexus are all on that US PS Now.

• Thumbs Up 1

Fair enough I guess. I can only assume they didn't think that was a good enough method to get kids into the series and just decided to start fresh for a new generation.

I don't know. Almost every movie gets a game based on it and seeing as Insomniac took measures in order to ensure the movie based on the duo's origins was well done by having the game voice actors and the game script writer writing the script, they likely wanted to assure the movie licensed game has the time and effort it needs to be truly special. It isn't going to be good if their first PS4 game was a broken low budget movie licensed mess.

Insomniac themselves have already confirmed this isn't a remake or a reboot and is a re imagining of the first game in order to see what they could do with the current technology they have, their new skills with the Ratchet series that they learned after 10 years of developing the series, and to help tie it better with the movie. Other than that, the first game will still remain canon.

Imagine them as two separate series - Main Series, and Movie Series. 

Am I the only one who kind of finds the movie and game to be a mulligan for the first game? I don't remember Insomniac being all that pleased with it to begin with, especially the fact that Ratchet was an asshole.

The fact is, this makes it easy for young children to fall in love with the series the same way we did, and honestly, it's not even without precedent. Tools of Destruction didn't really tie back into the older games much beyond a few shout-outs and references and most characters from the PS2 series weren't really seen again aside from Quark, Nefarious, and the plumber guy. I just don't see why this is such a big deal.

The fact also is a reboot is a spit in the face of every loyal fan. That's what every reboot is and always will be. Everything you loved, adored and looked forward to is thrown away to make way for new people.

It is easy to immerse yourself in the older games these days due to all the collections, digital downloads, etc. Reboots are an obsolete concept at this point, because they originate mostly when a story becomes too expansive to keep up with (I'm looking at you, DC). The advent of trade paperbacks in comics, digital downloads in video games, etc., however, have made them largely obsolete as a marketing scheme.

While you are correct in that the Future series and Into the Nexus aren't as closely connected to the original trilogy as to each other, those games didn't contradict what had already been established either. This movie tie-in will absolutely do so since the movie is mixing and mashing 1 through 3. It's either going to be a retcon or a reboot, but it could also be non-canon. We'd have to wait until the following game to get any hints as to which it would be, though.

Now, for my dirty little secret.

I didn't play any game but the first and second until 2012. I am myself technically a newer fan, only older than what the term usually describes. I took the time to go get all the other titles. I didn't need the continuity to bend in on itself to understand what was going on. I simply went out and got the older games. We are an intelligent species at the end of the day and can easily get the bigger picture with all the pieces.

Sure, it costs a little extra (not much) to look into the rest of a brand. But if money is an issue, you really shouldn't be gaming.

• Thumbs Up 1

The fact also is a reboot is a spit in the face of every loyal fan. That's what every reboot is and always will be. Everything you loved, adored and looked forward to is thrown away to make way for new people.

Lol, dude, come on. While I do adore the graphics (for their time), the gameplay, and the awesome weapons of the PS2 Ratchet trilogy, most of their stories were absolutely nothing special.

R&C1, for example, features a unlikeable jerkass version of Ratchet as the protagonist and a paper-thin Captain Planet villain as the antagonist. There's not a whole lot we're losing by rebooting this origin story. What I mostly see are improvements that could be made rather than lots of good stuff they could screw up.

R&C2's plot, while indeed belonging to an awesome sequel, serves as a minor footnote on the franchise and its Bogon galaxy has never been revisited since. That chapter of Ratchet's saga could be rebooted or be written out entirely and it wouldn't matter at all. Mr. Fizzwidget has had no bearing on later games' continuity aside from an inside reference in Up Your Arsenal, if you had R&C2 save data present. Same goes with Angela Cross, who has since mostly served to confuse fans as to whether or not she's a Lombax (as well as sexually confuse them too, lol).

R&C3 is where things could get hairy, as most everyone adores the Q-Force, Dr. Nefarious, and Lawrence. But y'know, all they'd have to do is keep the most important and beloved elements of that story and I think it'd still be fine.

Deadlocked can be thrown in the garbage for all I care, lol.

So yeah, a reboot of Ratchet's origins is a-okay by me. I don't see how this re-imagining is a spit in the face of fans when his origin wasn't all that great to begin with. Now we can have a version of R&C1 with a likeable Ratchet and strafing to boot, woo hoo! :D

Okay, I'm actually going to have to stop you on this one, because after coming out of the Archie Sonic comics which underwent it's own reboot a year ago, I can certainly say that is not entirely true.

Granted, it's not exactly something to look forward to due to not being able to know what and how they'll do a reboot. But if that were even the case that such a thing is such a spit in the face, then everyone in the Archie Sonic the Hedgehog topic should be bitter as fuck about everything that was thrown away amidst its reboot. Yet, the exact opposite happened - bar a few people, everyone who was a long time fan of it and actually against the comic reboot (myself included) surprisingly ended up loving the new world despite what they'll never get back from it's original setting. So it didn't spit in the face of the old time fans.

Now to be fair, in this particular case, that's mainly because of a nasty lawsuit that forced the reboot to happen. But it's still an example of my point that I've learned from it: not every reboot is a spit in the face to every loyal fan. It has an equal chance of respecting the loyal fans even as it brings something new, which equally has the chance of being much better than the old stuff it replaced. And with those that worked on the games of Ratchet and Clank working on the movie, I think we can trust that any reboot they do (even tho this is technically a re-imagining) would respect old fans.

Now examples like Capcom's DmC made by Ninja Theory? That's an example of a game spitting in loyal fans' faces.

Is Crack in Time funnier than Tools of Destruction? I started the PS3 games recently and didn't laugh often with ToD. Loved the humor in the PS2 batch of games, though.

Is Crack in Time funnier than Tools of Destruction? I started the PS3 games recently and didn't laugh often with ToD. Loved the humor in the PS2 batch of games, though.

In my opinion yes, but the Future series also tries to keep a better story that you can really get into, where the old games was more just Ratchet going up against the baddie of the year, and meeting a bunch of random characters on their journey, the Future series tells more of a complex story, allowing the characters plenty of character development, and to have extremely sympathetic moments.

In my opinion A Crack in Time is more of the perfect balance. There's plenty of amazing story in it but it's always got some great laughs, the best of which involves Qwark, Nefarious, and a nurse disguise.

• Thumbs Up 4

First, your niece is playing Sonic Adventure. I see you have passed on your good taste in games Sami.

Anyway, since we're talking about our Ratchet memories, I've been a fan since I was a kid. It was one of the first PS2 games I had ever played, as I played the demo of the original game and all I could remember was how amazing and fun it was running around Metropolis. I can safely say that the original trilogy along with Gladiator are some of my favourite PS2 games to date, and I'll tell you right now, the Future trilogy was the first PS3 games I've played, and in fact, were one of the biggest reasons I wanted to get a PS3.

This reboot isn't going to be a slap in the face to any fans. Insomniac are clearly taking steps to ensure that the film will remain true to the series, and it's style, along with having the voice actors and script writer from the games make a return to make the movie. Insomniac haven't even mentioned the new PS4 game replacing the series, and have clearly stated it's not a reboot, it's a re-imagining.

On top of that, if anything, I'd say the Sly movie/reboot would be a bigger slap to the face of fans, considering they haven't gotten Sly's original voice actor yet (It's always possible that they could but at the current moment, it's some random actor who doesn't sound anything like Sly from the games), the redesigns are pretty bad, especially Murray's, and just other small annoyances. Plus, the cliffhanger at the end of Sly 4 is even more massive than R&C Nexus' cliffhanger.

• Thumbs Up 2

First, your niece is playing Sonic Adventure. I see you have passed on your good taste in games Sami.

Anyway, since we're talking about our Ratchet memories, I've been a fan since I was a kid. It was one of the first PS2 games I had ever played, as I played the demo of the original game and all I could remember was how amazing and fun it was running around Metropolis. I can safely say that the original trilogy along with Gladiator are some of my favourite PS2 games to date, and I'll tell you right now, the Future trilogy was the first PS3 games I've played, and in fact, were one of the biggest reasons I wanted to get a PS3.

This reboot isn't going to be a slap in the face to any fans. Insomniac are clearly taking steps to ensure that the film will remain true to the series, and it's style, along with having the voice actors and script writer from the games make a return to make the movie. Insomniac haven't even mentioned the new PS4 game replacing the series, and have clearly stated it's not a reboot, it's a re-imagining.

On top of that, if anything, I'd say the Sly movie/reboot would be a bigger slap to the face of fans, considering they haven't gotten Sly's original voice actor yet (It's always possible that they could but at the current moment, it's some random actor who doesn't sound anything like Sly from the games), the redesigns are pretty bad, especially Murray's, and just other small annoyances. Plus, the cliffhanger at the end of Sly 4 is even more massive than R&C Nexus' cliffhanger.

• Thumbs Up 2

Ratchet & Clank are in the museum of heroes at the end of the game,Ratchet jokingly mentioning that he can never catch a break when the dimensionator breaks in his arms, and starts to lose hope of ever finding the lombaxs. Clank reassures him that they'll find them some day, and Talwyn comes in, and all three leave. Clank then sneaks back and grabs the busted dimensionator, implying he's going to fix it to allow Ratchet to find the lombaxs.

Ending here:

Ratchet & Clank are in the museum of heroes at the end of the game,Ratchet jokingly mentioning that he can never catch a break when the dimensionator breaks in his arms, and starts to lose hope of ever finding the lombaxs. Clank reassures him that they'll find them some day, and Talwyn comes in, and all three leave. Clank then sneaks back and grabs the busted dimensionator, implying he's going to fix it to allow Ratchet to find the lombaxs.

Ending here:

You should seriously check out Nexus. It's one of the extremely good Ratchet games, even if it isn't as long as Tools of Destruction or A Crack in Time.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'll pick it up if they release a collection. PS3's tucked away now lol. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe this is why the series is getting rebooted, playing the original games is getting increasingly harder. I remember it took me months to find the first game when I got interested.

Insomniac has already confirmed that the game will not be a reboot. It's going to be an re-imagining of the original game.

On another note, it really isn't that hard to get the PS2 games. Looking on Amazon UK, there's people selling the original game pre-owned for under £4 

Maybe this is why the series is getting rebooted, playing the original games is getting increasingly harder. I remember it took me months to find the first game when I got interested.

They're also really old now. I applaud whatever child has the patience and understanding to go from a brand new 2016 PS4 game to its 2002 PS2 predecessor.

16987796884_87ac20de38_b.jpg

ballin

460776-r_003.jpg

"Uncle Sami what happened to ratchet why does he look so weird"

"... It was a different time, Serene"

• Thumbs Up 2

Meh. If they let something like that stop them from playing them, I'd feel bad for them to be honest. Missing out on something like Ratchet 3 because of the graphics would suck.

On another note:

:^)

• Thumbs Up 1

Meh. If they let something like that stop them from playing them, I'd feel bad for them to be honest. Missing out on something like Ratchet 3 because of the graphics would suck.

On another note:

:^)

lol I fucking loved that game's story. I remember preferring Going Commando overall though - I liked that game's aesthetic more. 

And I mean eh I'm looking at it from a little kid's perspective lol. I haven't played the PS2 games in... about a decade now I think so I don't know how well they'll hold up when pitched against the next one. I wouldn't blame a kid for finding it a bit hard to go back to, especially if their idea of what Ratchet is supposed to be is a 2016 game.

They're also really old now. I applaud whatever child has the patience and understanding to go from a brand new 2016 PS4 game to its 2002 PS2 predecessor.

16987796884_87ac20de38_b.jpg

ballin

460776-r_003.jpg

"Uncle Sami what happened to ratchet why does he look so weird"

"... It was a different time, Serene"

Tell me about it. The animations were so weird back then......over a decade ago...fuuuuuck.