Awoo.

I think Sonic and the Black Knight is a great display of Sonic's personality.

DC111

I have to agree that the Storybook games always had the best characterization compared to any of the main titles. I remember when Secret Rings came out it was like a breath of fresh air after the abomination that was Sonic 06. It really makes me wish we could have another Storybook game (I personally want something based on Journey to the West), but the way SEGA has handled Sonic lately I highly doubt we will ever see one.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have to agree that the Storybook games always had the best characterization compared to any of the main titles. I remember when Secret Rings came out it was like a breath of fresh air after the abomination that was Sonic 06. It really makes me wish we could have another Storybook game (I personally want something based on Journey to the West), but the way SEGA has handled Sonic lately I highly doubt we will ever see one.

Yeah, actually, I would like a Wizard of oz adaption smile.png

Sonic is in Dorothy's position, Tails is the cowardly lion, Knuckles is the scarecrow (who needs a brain smile.png ) and Eggman the Tin Man , who wants a heart smile.png. the add in girl character will be the good witch, and Rouge as the wicked witch, and shadow would be rouge's right hand man. however, the real enemy isn't the wicked witch..... it's the tin man..... I seriously thought about this! (and imagine if it were portrayed as a musical, how sonic would respond smile.png )

Edited by knucklesgirl
  • Thumbs Up 1

I was over three years late in playing Black Knight (mainly because I hated the gameplay of Secret Rings), and damn am I dissapointed in myself for not playing this when it first game out. Because this game quickly became one of my favorites. And one of the reasons for that was the near-flawless characterization of Sonic. Seriously, this game absolutely nailed the character. It had the asbolute best portrayal of Sonic I have ever seen.

• Thumbs Up 1

It helps that this game has far more leeway than the main titles do.

I don't think I quite 'get' this reasoning.

There's absolutely no reason as to why the other games shouldn't make the effort to have high quality characterization. As much as I love Unleashed Sonic because he was marvelously in-character despite his quietness and because his actions and expressions often spoke louder than words, he was still rather...flat and in no way did the story monopolize on it's potential regarding what it could've done with Sonic's characterization. Sure he has that awesome, awesome line "Do I need a reason to wanna help out a friend?" but it still didn't give a whole lot of character development to him.

The Storybook games had simple plots. Yet the sheer quality and expertise expended in characterizing Sonic near-absolutely perfectly transcended the basic-ness of the plots. If anything, one of the things the Storybook games proved was that you don't need to place Sonic into convoluted situations to see the best of him.

• Thumbs Up 3

I haven't actually thought about this, but I do see you're right.  Black Knight for me was quite the swan song for the Sonic X voice cast.

• Thumbs Up 2