Awoo.

Disney's Tomorrowland: Written & Directed By Brad Bird

2.jpg

Considering it's finally being released this upcoming Friday, thought it'd be nice if a topic were made for this film.

So yes, Tomorrowland. Considering the name, you might think it's another one of those theme park attraction adaptations Disney is fond of doing now and then. Actually this time around, that's not exactly the case. The film is based off Walt Disney's very own plans for the futuristic community of EPCOT (in all capital letters, and it eventually became the Epcot Center, later just Epcot, at Disney World) and his hopeful view of invention, innovation and utopia. Getting some Meet the Robinsons vibes here? Yeah, me too.

So, this film's been in the works for a while now, being announced with the title of 1952, only getting its first media coverage and reveal trailers from earlier last year. As the topic title may as well have implied, the film is being helmed by writer and director Brad Bird, the mind behind greats such as The Iron Giant, The Incredibles, Ratatouille, and Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol. This is his second live-action film after Ghost Protocol, and it for one looks quite intriguing for a summer tentpole.

A lot has been kept under wraps about the plot leading up to its release, a staple for Bird's movies. With that said, let me just show an official synopsis from Disney:

Bound by a shared destiny, a bright, optimistic teen bursting with scientific curiosity (Britt Robertson) and a former boy-genius inventor jaded by disillusionment (George Clooney) embark on a danger-filled mission to unearth the secrets of an enigmatic place somewhere in time and space that exists in their collective memory as "Tomorrowland."
  • Thumbs Up 4

I want to be excited about the movie because it's a Brad Bird movie, but everything I heard and seen about the movie doesn't really catch my eye. I was going to see it on the 22 but instead I'm going to Disneyland since it's the Diamond anniversary (I wonder if they chose to release the movie on that day because of it) so I'll probably see it the week after.

Just hope it doesn't flop like other live action Disney projects since I don't think there's a lot of hype for it.

Don't doubt that it's going to be good.

I just fear that this is going to be this summer's biggest box office dud.

Don't doubt that it's going to be good.I just fear that this is going to be this summer's biggest box office dud.

True, the summer blockbuster season of 2015 is gonna be the most crowded in years. I really hope this won't be another financial failure for Brad.

Nah, the title of the summer season's dud will go to Mad Max. =P

Anyway, I plan to see this film with niece and nephew next weekend. 

I'm also hoping this is a success for Disney.

... Oh wait, Damon Lindelof is writing this movie?

Yeah uh, I take my last post back. I have my reservations.

• Thumbs Up 1

... Oh wait, Damon Lindelof is writing this movie?

Yeah uh, I take my last post back. I have my reservations.

Well, he's co-writing alongside Bird. I'd imagine Bird would have more control over the script considering this film has been a project of his for quite a while now.

Jinkies, this movie is getting a pretty mediocre rating on RT.

W9UuU3o.png

I want this movie to be good in the same vein that I want Witcher 3 to be good, in that I really like the person (or people, in Witcher's case) behind the product. Seeing that there's only 11 reviews in, this number is either going to go up or down. I won't be seeing it myself due to a cramped schedule, but I do hope it ends up being a good flick or at least doesn't become a dud.

I've seen the trailers but I'm feeling meh about it all. I mean it certainly looks interesting but I don't understand the plot at all, what with the trailers being so bloody vague. =S

Tomorrowland is giving me a very meh feeling, and if these mediocre reviews keep on coming I don't think I'll go and see this..

I'm super interested in it. I really want to watch it, it looks fun.

it's the Diamond anniversary

Adamthewoo and Justinscarred told about that.

I'm looking forward to that.

Count me in.

I saw a clip of this movie as a bonus from the IMAX screening of Avengers Age Of Ultron.

Rather interesting, but these robot cops are giving me an uncomfortable vibe, like Matthew Broderick Inspector Gadget uncomfortable.

We finally have a consensus from Rotten Tomatoes, the movie is currently sitting at 59%... Definitely have to say I'm disappointed at how this movie's being received so far, especially since it was one of my most anticipated movies of 2015. I'll formulate my own thoughts once I see it on Friday with an open mind, but yeah.

Critics Consensus: Ambitious and original enough to be largely forgiven its flaws, Tomorrowland adds another charming chapter to Disney's library of live-action adventures.

Wow this movie dropped down to 54% on the RT score? What the fuck happened, is Lindelof's hack writing so bad it devours Brad Birds Talent?

Wow this movie dropped down to 54% on the RT score? What the fuck happened, is Lindelof's hack writing so bad it devours Brad Birds Talent?

At least we still got Incredibles 2 right?

Despite that crap this movie's apparently getting, Disney already announced a power disc pack themed specifically for Tomorrowland.

hi2mxi0igqaumcfpqcyn.jpg

Does the movie have any merchandise other than this?

So as some of you all probably know, I finally got to see the movie yesterday. What did I think of it? Well, it's a flurry of thoughts right now that might take a while to type down, so we'll see.

I've been looking forward to this movie for a very long time now, putting into consideration that Brad Bird is who I consider to be one of the best filmmakers working today, and with the gold standard he's set for all of his movies up to this point there was no way I couldn't be excited for his newest project. Even though the trailers were vague and mysterious, I was invested in them and genuinely wanted to see what the world of Tomorrowland had to reveal to me. Now that the film's finally out, I have to say it's nowhere near as bad as the mixed-to-negative reception might suggest. No spoilers in this, by the way.

The first two acts to this movie are done exceptionally well, particularly the first. Everything's set up well with a great sense of almost childlike wonder at the beginning as we're shown Tomorrowland for the first time, and the journey that's set up between Casey (Britt Robertson) and Frank Walker (George Clooney) for them to finally reach it. What's special about this movie is that it's about the journey, not about the destination. The buildup is great for the characters' journey to Tomorrowland, with action, suspense and humor and it was just so engaging throughout. Sadly, it's when they do reach Tomorrowland is when the film's foundations sadly crumble.

Tomorrowland is meant to be a film about hope, motivation and changing the world. When the third act starts, we're fed a bunch of messages seen in so many other films that the film just loses its overall impact as a result, and all the buildup and character development all leading up to that moment ended up being all for naught. The movie becomes more of a "THE WORLD IS GOING TO END, OH NOES" film, and as a result of the conflict, the movie gets lost in its own ideas and anthology and loses sight of what it's supposed to be about. The fact that the villain revealed during this time is lame as hell and to boot as weak motivations does not help either. If the third act had matched the tone of the rest of the movie and dropped the needlessly convoluted plot threads, I'd no doubt love every single bit of it.

That's not to say that the entire movie is without worth, however. Everybody did a great job with their performances here, especially George Clooney playing a jaded recluse of an inventor with Frank, and Britt Robertson does exceptionally in her role as Casey in this film. She's not only a capable, smart and strong female character, but also passionate about science. Girl's seriously gonna go places in her acting career.

As usual for a Brad Bird film, the visuals are absolutely stunning in the titular Tomorrowland. It just has this wonderful retro-futuristic vibe, and it actually felt somewhat real rather than just another CGI city thanks to the girth of traditionally-built sets (not to knock off CGI at all, though.) Every bit of Tomorrowland bursts with fervent creativity and imagination, I even wish it was a real place myself.

Tomorrowland.jpg

Seriously, just look at it. And this is just a small glimpse of what you'll see once you see the movie.

On another note, there were some other nice references in the movie I noticed, with the usual "A113" running joke that Bird's fond of, and even some Iron Giant antiques in a shop that's in the movie!

Like I said in the original post, Michael Giacchino's score does not disappoint. Even if you end up hating this movie, you'll love the music. He does a phenomenal job here, creating music that's rousing, beautiful, and even at times emotional, all in its orchestral glory instead of the Hans Zimmereqsue crap that pollutes most blockbusters nowadays. The main theme is really, really something:

Oh, and here's the entire song list for the score. All of the titles for the music are puns.

In short, Tomorrowland is 2/3rds of a very good movie. It's without a doubt one of those movies you have to see for yourself to see whether its of any worth to you or not.. While there were truly some awe-inspiring parts in the movie here and there that even made me feel like a kid again, the movie ultimately fell short of what I expected from Brad Bird. It's no doubt his weakest film, but it's no way in hell a bad one. 

I'd in the end recommend it, because it's a quite fun romp for what its worth. Go see it for yourself, please don't let the mixed reviews deter you.

• Thumbs Up 4

Well, Felix has convinced me to check it out if I go to the movies at some point in the next few weeks.

• Thumbs Up 1

49%? Guess this is Brad Birds first dud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Despite the mixed reviews, I'm personally interested in seeing it, if only because Tomorrowland was always my favorite area in Disneyland/World. Plus hey, George Clooney's always great.

Still debating whether to watch it in theaters or wait until it comes out on DVD.

• Thumbs Up 1