Awoo.

Game Adaptations

Osmium

One of my favourite things to find in Sonic media are game adaptations. I don't know why, I've always been fascinated by Sonic adaptations, and there are a lot of them. Some good, some horrible.

My favourite game adaptation overall has to be the Sonic & Knuckles adaptation in Sonic The Comic that ran from Issues 47-53. Hell, it's probably my favourite story in a Sonic comic period. 

I'm not going to get all into it (right now at least...) but I will say why I like it. It's accurate. It basically follows the Sonic & Knuckles story while taking some liberties like Captain Plunder showing up, and how the Death Egg is destroyed by Angel Island's "Floating golf ball laser". 

And the art is really awesome, too. That always helps. 

part6-015.jpg

So what are you're favourite and least favourite game adaptations? Which ones do you think are amazing and which ones do you think insult whichever game they were trying to adaptate? 

They can be from anywhere. Comics, TV shows, you name it ! 

I think I'll also add, what makes a good adaptation for you? Do you like accurate adaptations or do you like ones that go off in their own direction?

Game adaptions are a fairly sensitive subject. Personally, I enjoy game adaptions more for their differences. How things are taken in a different directions. Of course, many of the adaptions tend to be... not so good. Looking at you Archie's Adventure. Some didn't even exist at all, like their SA2 one. I guess it kinda came in a Universe flashback? Kinda.

But my favorite, I can't really think of one. I'd have to see the list and look at them all.

I really like the Sonic X SA1 and SA2 adaptions and I also like the Archie SA1 one but one that I don't think it is bad I just think they could have done it better was the Sonic 2 adaption in The Death Egg Saga which some people consider it a Sonic 2 adaption but the only thing it has in common with Sonic 2 is The Death Egg. What does everyone else think about the Sonic 2 in The Death Egg Saga do you consider it a adaption.

I really did enjoy the Sonic X adaptations of the Adventure games.  A lot of people moaned something awful about Chris "stealing" the character's roles but it never particularly bothered me and overall I found the incorperation of the anime-exclusive characters fairly nicely done.

The main appeal though was that the emotional moments were treated with so much more respect than the awkwardly animated and scored game cut-scenes.  Sonic's ejection from the space colony ark, Shadow's flashbacks, and Gamma's lonely quest to destroy his brothers were so much more impactful in the show for not just using generic boss music and character theme songs respectively (the latter two don't work too badly in-game but the sombre music in Sonic X was much better).

It's tragic that literally none of that emotional music made it onto the Sonic X Original Sound Track, aside from "The Master Emerald" for the Tikal flashbacks anyway.

The Sonic Battle adaptation was nice too even though they more of did a story inspired by it than a proper adaptation.  It was right at the height of Cream's popularity (for those who liked her), due to her being the most recent main character addition to the series at the time, so her big moment at the end of said adaptation was very awesome.

• Thumbs Up 2

I really like the Sonic X SA1 and SA2 adaptions and I also like the Archie SA1 one but one that I don't think it is bad I just think they could have done it better was the Sonic 2 adaption in The Death Egg Saga which some people consider it a Sonic 2 adaption but the only thing it has in common with Sonic 2 is The Death Egg. What does everyone else think about the Sonic 2 in The Death Egg Saga do you consider it a adaption.

By the Death Egg saga, do you mean Sonic Quest? 

The recent Sonic the Fighters adaption in Archie, short yes, but shoot it was a fun read

By the Death Egg saga, do you mean Sonic Quest? 

Yes it is called The Death Egg Saga.

Yes it is called The Death Egg Saga.

Well, I think that Sonic Quest/Death Egg saga was pretty lackluster. 

For a story about the Death Egg, it really didn't do much with it. It was much more about the king than the Death Egg. 

I guess you could call it a adaptation, even though the only things that it really had to do with the games concerning the Death Egg were, the Death Egg trying to sink Angel Island(and even then, in Sonic 3 the Death Egg didn't purposely try to sing Angel Island, it just happened to fall on it and bring it down to sea level), and Sonic fighting Silver Sonic, who I should point out looked and behaved nothing like how Mecha Sonic did in Sonic 2. 

Overall, the Death Egg saga/Sonic Quest was disappointing as there were so many story opportunities with the Death Egg possible, and Archie threw it away on three issues that were more about the King than anything.  

I enjoyed the old sa1 adaption but im not sure if I read the sa2 adaption. There was a knuckles chaotix adaption but i can't remeber a thing about it. It's been awhile since I read it, I want to say it was a loose adapation but im not sure.

I enjoyed the old sa1 adaption but im not sure if I read the sa2 adaption. There was a knuckles chaotix adaption but i can't remeber a thing about it. It's been awhile since I read it, I want to say it was a loose adapation but im not sure.

I had forgot sonic was kidnapped in the story, I really like the front cover of the issue it's really nice.

• Thumbs Up 1

Like most Pre-Flynn Archie comics my favorite Game Adaptation's were the one's written by Mike Gallagher. They were stupid more often than not for sure but like most of Gallagher's work there's a sense of fun and charm I just love.

Gonna have to agree on the Sonic X Game Adaptations. They were really good and captured the feel of the games perfectly.