Awoo.

Toxic

SIXTH-RATE SOMA

Speaking of reports, can members you are suspicious of immediately find out about your reporting them? If so, I think reports should not be exposed for them to see, as I think I reported someone once and they hounded me on Skype for it.

I'm honestly not quite sure what you mean here. Rephrase, maybe?

Not only are all reports fully anonymous, but any PM's you send us (unless otherwise necessary, which is usually only ever the case with Marketplace affairs) are confidential and will only be shared between the member(s) sending the PM and the staff.  Just pointing this out so that people know that the report button isn't the only way to make us aware of an issue.  Most of you are aware of this already, but I don't feel enough people utilize it enough.

• Thumbs Up 2

If I may add further, I think we should be careful about how sarcasm is used towards each other.

I mean, it is a line of text, how in the name of Hel are we supposed to recognize the intended reading of the comments? There are people in the world who do have difficulty recognizing when people are joking, I am one of them. Seeing people make rude comments only for them to say, "it was a joke," when I have struggled with it my entire life is quite honestly insulting. People have done to each other on here and it shows a lack of respect... The "you can't take a joke" crap won't save you here. People honestly don't always overcome it and messing with them is in a word, "rude."

@Tornado, I was worried about reports being public for all to see.

• Thumbs Up 3

Before I even begin let me just say I try very hard to make this post acceptable. Keep in mind I am still little upset from yesterday but I did my best to keep it in check here. This is from my own perspective.

I not sure how to describe it but I strongly feel that some people in these debates speak in a very mean tone with no compassion whatsoever.

First thing in making things better is to act the way you want to be treated which is hopefully being nice person. Second when making a post in a debate or argument make sure to read what you wrote as if you were the other person. If it makes you feel bad or sound harsh or mean then you probably need to change it. Third if somebody wrote something harsh mean tone to you then it may be best to ignore it. You probably want to defend yourself but it should be left to mod people or ignore it. Fourth do not encourage bad behavior but instead guide the behavior to be better than. Fifth try to be peaceful and avoid conflict and try to be nice to make better atmosphere on.

I like things to be peaceful. Unfortunately people actions speak something else. I feel people who are more sensitive should not be on here that includes myself. I hope that I not offend anybody with this post here.

• Thumbs Up 1

With regards to the Ethics topic:

I made it not to pick on Autosaver or cause drama, but because I was genuinely quite concerned with some of the logic that was being used to justify various actions. To try and steer it away from the earlier issue, I encouraged discussion of whatever commercial scandal could be found.

Regardless, it quickly derailed back into what prompted the topic, and I agree with Carbo's decision to lock it on that basis. I'd be interested in reviving it at a later time when this incident isn't as fresh in our minds. But for now, keeping it locked really is the best decision.

Now, with regards to the statuses:

Memes and jokes are pretty common on SSMB. I didn't see anything blatantly insulting Autosaver, so any statuses I saw I didn't take issue with. What I did do was discuss with the other staff if we should shut discussion in the statuses down or not, since statuses have always been a grayer area for moderation.

Now, you might say that there were insults and the like in the status comments. But that's the thing - to see those, I have to open each status. When statuses are being spit out like machine gun bullets, we're busy with other things, and we're not being paid to patrol every corner of the boards, the Report button is absolutely critical. If one wants to talk about fair moderation, I'd counter with discussing fair membership: is it fair to expect moderators to spend every moment of their day looking for wrongdoing?

Actually, that's the thing: one of the first rules I had to understand when taking the position was to NOT do that. I would browse as I always would and take action if I saw something wrong, and respond to reports as they came in. Like the police force, we will take action if we see an issue on our daily "patrol" as you could say, but ultimately a lot of our effectiveness hinges on your taking the initiative to report things.

The police don't enter every home to make sure no crimes are being committed. You have to call 911 (or the equivalent in your area).

• Thumbs Up 2

Again though, this wasn't just mods reading the thread, they were actively posting :V as far as we were seeing, mods already WERE in action

In my opinion the "no outside drama" rule can only go on for so long. A line has to be drawn somewhere. I'm not asking for everything that happens outside of SSMB to be punished, but I just think certain things shouldn't be excusable. I've been bullied by a member here before outside the forums. And I know a fair few members in particular do shit they know they'd get into trouble for but they purposefully do it outside the forums so they get away with it.

This is just a suggestion of course. I just think more care should be given, especially in regards to those who bully other members outside the forums.

In my opinion the "no outside drama" rule can only go on for so long. A line has to be drawn somewhere. I'm not asking for everything that happens outside of SSMB to be punished, but I just think certain things shouldn't be excusable. I've been bullied by a member here before outside the forums. And I know a fair few members in particular do shit they know they'd get into trouble for but they purposefully do it outside the forums so they get away with it.

This is just a suggestion of course. I just think more care should be given, especially in regards to those who bully other members outside the forums.

• Thumbs Up 1

Memes and jokes are pretty common on SSMB. I didn't see anything blatantly insulting Autosaver, so any statuses I saw I didn't take issue with.

• Thumbs Up 1

There was one I saw, but it was deleted and remade rather quickly.

That's another thing. When you see an offending post, I highly suggest you take a screencap. You can submit it in your report and/or a PM to the staff.

That way if someone is savvy enough to delete an offending status or post before any of us see it, we have a record and a huge burden of proof falls on the suspected offender to prove you have some awesome Photoshop skills.

I know this is cliche, but it still has a point. Remember the old saying, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all? We should know that one and use it by now. Or treat others the way you would want to be treated. If you treat others like dirt, others will treat you like dirt.

• Thumbs Up 2

I would have, but unfortunately I don't have a computer to screencap anything. I've been stuck with my Wii U's Internet browser for a long time. I can PM you I guess but I don't want to start something again.

I probably missed this in the earlier posts here but, can you report status messages?

IPB's current implementation of statuses makes moderating them a chore, so no, there is no way to report a status.  But clicking the date and time on a status will take you to the permalink where you can c/p the status to us in a report or a PM.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd also like to add that it feels kinda rude that I see a lot of PD threads on here where people ask for help and advice and they are usually ignored. We are supposed to be a community, not ignoring people we don't know well. I mean, I remember that Kuzu made a PD thread not long ago where we could help each other out and it seems we have no intention of helping one another in tough times. This is a social forum, there are going to be people different from you, that does not mean you have to shut them out.

• Thumbs Up 1