Awoo.

Thoughts on a 3D Sonic Movie?

Creamy

First: NO! There is no movie in production!!

ok now to the topic:

Let's say that you would have the possibility, to write and direct the script of a Sonic Movie in 3d (like Ice Age, Over the hedge, Bolt and so one...)

Where would the movie play? On moebius, earth, fantasy land/world, Angel island metropolis green hill zone in the universe of an ancient place ... (and so one..)

Which characters would you insert? (or wich charakter had NO chance in your movie)

And what are your plot-ideas?

I'm curious about your answers / ideas

Considering that your actual posts are mostly error free, why is it that you can't seem to form a coherant topic title?

I have no idea for how I would make a 3D Sonic movie. I'm actually a fan of traditional animation, so I really don't see how being 3D would impact what kind of movie could be made.

I suppose I'd like a movie based on the current games (I'm not about to say SEGASonic, as I just got done reading the article on that at The Sonic Cult). Also, just so I don't have to be creative, I'd like it just to be the storyline of Sonic Adventure but with better writing. With all the other game-to-movie conversions out there, that seems to me like one of the very few that could work. Plus, the game is already 3D, so seeing it in hi-res Pixar 3D quality would indeed be stunning. Or better yet, get the graphics people from Advent Children behind the project...

I think the title was supposed to be a joke refering to the other nonsensical title... but I've changed it because a few people seemed confused. ^^;

Easy, I'd make it a bright and beautiful simple affair based on Sonic 1, 2, 3&K.

Sonic 1 would perhaps only be featured in some flashbacks, but GreenHill zone would definitely get a showcase. I wouldn't really bother with showy displays of how Sonic met Tails or his struggles with Eggman prior to that, I'd jump right in with a few scenes that really hit home the "Sonic & Tails = buddies" and Eggman = evil polluting scientist/Sonic's enemy" points and just go from there.

I'd say the majority of the beggining would be summing up the basic points of Sonic 2, showing the Death Egg and Sonic crippling it, then Tails' awesome friendship in saving Sonic. The majority of the film would be set on Angel Island and would involve all those lovely locales and the animosity between their arrival and Knuckles (really jumping back in time to the point where they were nemises, and displaying Knuckles strong-headed-ness and tenacity but also his persistance and dedication to his job)

So I'd really keep the plot simple and the cast small, afterall this is a movie, not everybody is going know Sonic inside out and demand it cram full of story and characters. But I think this would be fine, it holds enough story to easily cover a movie, and it is interesting, really exposing what the characters and Sonic's world/life is all about.

Edited by The-Master-Board

Easy, I'd make it a bright and beautiful simple affair based on Sonic 1, 2, 3&K.

Sonic 1 would perhaps only be featured in some flashbacks, but GreenHill zone would definitely get a showcase. I wouldn't really bother with showy displays of how Sonic met Tails or his struggles with Eggman prior to that, I'd jump right in with a few scenes that really hit home the "Sonic & Tails = buddies" and Eggman = evil polluting scientist/Sonic's enemy" points and just go from there.

I'd say the majority of the beggining would be summing up the basic points of Sonic 2, showing the Death Egg and Sonic crippling it, then Tails' awesome friendship in saving Sonic. The majority of the film would be set on Angel Island and would involve all those lovely locales and the animosity between their arrival and Knuckles (really jumping back in time to the point where they were nemises, and displaying Knuckles strong-headed-ness and tenacity but also his persistance and dedication to his job)

So I'd really keep the plot simple and the cast small, afterall this is a movie, not everybody is going know Sonic inside out and demand it cram full of story and characters. But I think this would be fine, it holds enough story to easily cover a movie, and it is interesting, really exposing what the characters and Sonic's world/life is all about.

Well first I wasn't sure what to say, but I really like this idea, so I say that.

Funnily enough I had a very similar idea the other day for a CG Sonic film. It would tell the stories of Sonic 1, Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 & Knuckles (basically an "origin" story of sorts) - which would not only please nostalgic fans but is probably the best place to start for a film as not everyone will be familiar with the world and cast of Sonic.

As you say, Sonic 1 would be skimmed over a bit... I was thinking that it could even be an epic homage to the opening of the Sonic OVA, with Eggman discussing his plans for the Death Egg and watching playbacks of events from Sonic 1 (all in CG of course) in which he gets his ass kicked by Sonic over and over. It could then move to a monitor of Sonic running through Green Hill Zone / Emerald Hill Zone, introducing the main protagonist, then having the opening titles roll as Sonic runs along (with some classic music in the background or an all new theme).

The events of Sonic 2 would then take place (perhaps skipping the whole "Sonic meets Tails" scenario though) and lead directly into those of Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

In terms of a film title I was thinking "Sonic Genesis" or something but that might cause too much confusion with THAT Game Boy Advance game... but then again SEGA did name a second game as Sonic The Hedgehog so who knows?

Perhaps they could even make it a series of "Sonic Chronicles" films, in which the events of S1-S3&K are merely the first to set the scene. This could also lead into some potential sequels.

Regardless though, I REALLY want to see a CG Sonic movie. SEGA's VE Animation Studio have proved their worth in Night of the Werehog and the Sonic & Chip bonus scenes in Sonic Unleashed, I'd love them to do a full feature film starring the blue 'hog.

The only real problem that would arise is voice actors, I guess. Stick with 4Kids and people will complain, go with someone different and then it might just seem wrong.

In terms of style, I'd love to see something like the opening of Riders. Not the actual Riders art style, but 2D, traditionally animated characters on lush 3D backgrounds.

As for plot, it'd have to be on Earth for consistency with the games. I'd rather it be set in the same universe as the games rather than Sonic X's adapation of Earth or of course the original movie's total artistic license playing.

However, what I'd REALLY like is not any adapation of a game storyline at all. I want a new and original story... which also refers to many classic moments from the history of Sonic, without being explicit enough to confuse fans who haven't played all the games. Have Eggman fight Sonic with his swinging ball in one scene, a Sonic Vs Metal race, a Sonic and Shadow battle in a forest, and have them visit or mention many memorable places from the franchise as part of the plot, like Angel Island, Westopolis, perhaps even Soleanna. I think a "best of" movie, tying together familiar and memorable moments in a new plot would be a much more thrilling experience for both the light and hardcore Sonic fan.

Edited by JezMM

I think I said this last time we had a topic like this...if they want to reach a bigger audience than the established Sonic fanbase and still make a half decent movie, I think the best thing to do is to make it an origin story sort of thing. Not actually explaining Sonic's life pre-Sonic 1, but retelling the Genesis-era stories that set up the series as it is now. The way I see it, it'd be a trilogy; combine Sonics 1 and 2 for the first movie (Sonic chases Eggman off South Island early on, then we go to West Side Island to meet Tails, find the Chaos Emeralds, beat Silver Sonic, and crash the Death Egg), then CD (introduces Amy, has Metal Sonic being a rebuilt Silver Sonic), then S3&K (Eggman tracks down the Death Egg, we meet Knuckles, probably replace Mecha with Metal, and we end the trilogy with the epic Death Egg/Doomsday Zone fights). They have to fiddle around with the canon to make it work like that, but not in any way that affects any future game, and the whole movie series would be noncanon from the start anyway.

I'd like an entirely new storyline not based off the games and in the style of Night of the Werehog, which was visually stunning. I'd like all the canon Sega characters (except for Chip, Elise e.t.c. one shot characters) to be in it and to all play an important part. No ideas on the story I'd want exactly, just that it should be really good.

It would include music from the games and also have an original theme composed just for the film.

And maybe add a hint of FF7 by introducing a new character who ends up dying, just for the extra umph.

And Shadow should NOT be all moody like he is in newer games. I want Shadow's Sonic Heroes personality!

When it comes to the super forms I'd like somebody other than one of the hedgehogs (and blaze) to save the world, e.g. the hedges need help because the enemy is too powerful. The new and previously deceased character comes back in spirit form to give them their power (perhaps too cheesy or cliche?)

Or maybe have Sonic turn evil, like Dark Super Sonic in Sonic X. I know people say he's too nice to turn evil but that's the surprise :D

Or have Sonic's good side fight his bad side, kind of like Sonic V. Metal Sonic only more intense because it's like fighting with your soul.

Okay, I'm getting too ahead of myself :)

Edited by CreamyBagel

I would get Sqare Enix to make the movie, and have them accomplish it in true Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children style (cool, moody, heavily RPG-influenced storyline, amazing animation).

DO NOT make it a game adaptation, as they always have me complining about how "Sega can't be fucked to make a new, decent storyline" and/ or "if they're goint to steal the storyline of a game instead of making a new one, they could at least have the courtesy to check their bloody facts and make the damned thing accurate!".

Soundtrack-wise? That's easy; a duet between Jun Senoue and William Rickman AKA Random (check the latter out at http://randomizer.se/tunes/gameboy/random_-_Downstairs.mp3). An amazing and powerful cocktail of Chip and Rock would make my ears vibrate with the utmost joy!

In the way of voice actors...

Sonic = Martin Burke (voice demo at

)

Tails = Corey Bringas (voice demo at

)

Shadow = David Humphrey (voice demo at

)

Knuckles = Who cares? I wouldn't have him in a Sonic movie anyway...

Eggman = The guy from Sonic Adventure - I forget his name... (voice demo at

)

Well, that's all the ideas that I could think of at the time... But if you disagree with me in any way, FLAME FLAME FLAME!!! please do tell me why!

Edited by Extaticus

Tails = Corey Bringas

He's an adult now, his voice has broke so he won't sound like Tails anymore.

Eggman = The guy from Sonic Adventure - I forget his name...

Good luck with that, you'll need a shovel.

Edited by CreamyBagel

He's an adult now, his voice has broke so he won't sound like Tails anymore.

Good luck with that, you'll need a shovel.

About Eggman: Oh. Right. Crap... I thought it was the voice of E-102 that died, not the voice of Eggman!

Tails: So what if he's an adult? Tails' voice has to break at some point in the series, and now seems as good a point as any!

Tails: So what if he's an adult? Tails' voice has to break at some point in the series, and now seems as good a point as any!

In all fairness, it never will, since the characters never age. They've retconned all the ages once yes, but they've stuck with those retconned ages since Sonic Adventure, and that was a long time ago now.

Something I've been thinking about a lot recently is a Sonic Adventure 2 CG movie. That would be amazing if done right, I would be completely ecstatic if they ever actually did make it.

Edited by Blash

Are you lot really so unoriginal that all you can think of when it comes to a prospective Sonic show/movie is retellings of game plots? Seriously? I can understand the desire for another 3D Sonic movie, sure, particularly after the Night of the Werehog short, but it's fucking depressing to see that all anyone actually wants is shit they've already played through. If it were to make everyone happy, I'd tolerate ONE movie themed on the classic games with minimal/no speech just for the sake of nostaliga, but trying for a bloody trilogy is just pushing it.

Although, I'm going to be a complete hypocrite and say I wouldn't mind a movie based off the Gerald saga (aka 50 years prior to SA2). Not just because Sonic Team's attempts to finalize the story in ShTH only resulted in more plotholes, but more because the past events never really got a hell of a lot of exposure beyond "Maria gets shot, Shadow gets launched into the planet". I'm confident you could make a fairly original movie out of that. Same goes for the post-apocalypse in Sonic '06 which got even less exposure. But in the long run, I'd still much prefer a Sonic Movie that doesn't have to rely on the games like some sort of fuckin' crutch. Night of the Werehog was beautiful without any influences beyond the Werehog form, so I can't really see it particularly necessary for any other future flicks to use excessive references either.

Are you lot really so unoriginal that all you can think of when it comes to a prospective Sonic show/movie is retellings of game plots? Seriously?
I could certainly come up with other stories I'd like to see. One where Metal Sonic's a major character, giving him a chance to develop, considering he's been shafted in the games. Maybe a storybook series movie, maybe tie up some loose ends like the World Rings. Maybe explaining more about Angel Island post-Chaos and pre-S3&K, showing exactly how the island got into the sky and how the echidnas survived Chaos but died out until there was only one left. How about one explaining the relationship between Sonic's dimension and Blaze's, explaining why there are parallel emeralds, Eggman, etc, and ending in a way that makes it easier to work Blaze into future games? Or they could go off and do an entirely new story, have Eggman find some new ancient power to abuse, maybe this time he actually manages to control it?

But, I have my reasons for suggesting a retelling. For one, even though we've all played through the classics and know their stories, it's still mostly just text in the manual and some primitive cutscenes. If they expanded it into movies of significant length they could expand on the limited information we have now. The games exist to be games, while the movies would exist to tell the stories. If they managed to get some decent writers they could do a lot to improve the flow and continuity; swapping out S3&K's Mecha Sonic for a second appearance by Metal Sonic, for example, makes for a tighter connection between stories and more opportunity to expand on the characters. Second, like I said, it's also for people who aren't already intimately familiar with the series. There's plenty of people out there who don't know much more about the series than that Sonic's a little blue animal dude who can run really fast. Retelling the early games gives them a chance to get in on the ground floor, help them absorb the information that we've built up over several years, maybe help them ease into the main series. If they come in on something like Night of the Werehog, they're not going to know who the dog fairy thing is, or why Sonic turns into a monster at night, or if these ghosts are major characters. A longer movie with dialogue could explain itself, of course, but you've still got to pay close attention to what needs to be known to the first timers and what is going to be redundant for the long-time fans. With an origin story sort of thing the long-timers at least know that it's going to be (re)introducing the characters...hell, it's actually part of the charm.

Although, I'm going to be a complete hypocrite and say I wouldn't mind a movie based off the Gerald saga (aka 50 years prior to SA2). Not just because Sonic Team's attempts to finalize the story in ShTH only resulted in more plotholes, but more because the past events never really got a hell of a lot of exposure beyond "Maria gets shot, Shadow gets launched into the planet". I'm confident you could make a fairly original movie out of that. Same goes for the post-apocalypse in Sonic '06 which got even less exposure.

That would be a good idea if those respective stories weren't so dumb. The tragic story of a of the artificially created ultimate life form seeing his adoptive sister being shot might seem like a decent story, but then you remember that the ultimate life form is a cartoon hedgehog and any sort of drama comes crashing down. The same goes for the wangsty survivors in the post apocalyptic future, which goes nicely into my first condition, that the story needs to be something that doesn't try to force the characters into a grim & gritty world. The surreal fantastical nature of the classic games is among the best possible styles for a story involving this kind of characters (And I have a sudden epiphany why some members on this site seem to see no problem with attempted realism/serious business in Sonic games). The style lends itself to CG animation, both artistically and financially.

As long as it has good dose of action and comedy with a decent plot, I will be satisfied. For animation/art, I would prefer 2D or 3D like FF:AC. Well, I wouldn't mind if it has more action like AC since it was well done and very cool looking.

Are you lot really so unoriginal that all you can think of when it comes to a prospective Sonic show/movie is retellings of game plots? Seriously?

Does anyone else find the irony in that statement considering after that rant "BL" chose not to share any original plots of his own?

Perhaps the reason people want retellings of game plots is because it makes the most sense. We're not talking about a new game here, we're not talking about a medium where the prospective audience knows Sonic in and out and craves something new and flashy, we're talking about movies.

This is something someone who might never have even heard of Sonic the hedgehog might go see, so yeah I'd say its pretty justified to give them Sonic at its most basic level, and not go diving right into "what ifs" plots about alternate realities where Maria may have survived and what Shadow would be like if she had just to satisfy selfish fangasms of being original.

You have to set up the scene for conveying Sonic to a new market, and for all intents and purposes cannot assume that audience has any prior knowledge on the subject.

So excuse us for being "unoriginal", but it really is the best way to kickstart Sonic in that medium. Keep it simple.

• Bad Quality Post 1

Some people, myself included, have stated that they want a plot unrelated to the games so I guess that statement is a bit of a generalization anyway.

I don't think it's unoriginal for wanting to see one of the games adapted to a film. If they made a MGS movie you wouldn't want an entirely new original stroyline, you'd want to see one of the game's stories on the big screen.

Some people, myself included, have stated that they want a plot unrelated to the games so I guess that statement is a bit of a generalization anyway.

I don't think it's unoriginal for wanting to see one of the games adapted to a film. If they made a MGS movie you wouldn't want an entirely new original stroyline, you'd want to see one of the game's stories on the big screen.

I would want an original story in that case, MGS games play like movies, I would rather not have a new movie based off one of them. Sonic on the other hand is different, gameplay is the primary thing, so a movie showing the story and character development would be cool to see.

First: NO! There is no movie in production!!

ok now to the topic:

Let's say that you would have the possibility, to write and direct the script of a Sonic Movie in 3d (like Ice Age, Over the hedge, Bolt and so one...)

Where would the movie play? On moebius, earth, fantasy land/world, Angel island metropolis green hill zone in the universe of an ancient place ... (and so one..)

Which characters would you insert? (or wich charakter had NO chance in your movie)

And what are your plot-ideas?

I'm curious about your answers / ideas

Fun.

I'd go back to the beginnings -- reintroduce Sonic to the world, kind of like Batman Begins.

Go back to how Sonic became blue, and how Eggman became who he is. The movie would basically be an epic adaptation of the first Sonic game.

If successful, there'd be a sequel, which would adapt Sonic the Hedgehog 2. It'd show the meeting with Tails and all that jazz. Introduce Super Sonic, and the movie would end with the final battle and stuff.

Third movie, Sonic 3 & Knuckles. It'd be the last one, and it'd be a devastatingly epic movie. Knuckles ftw. Hyper Sonic ftw.

Are you lot really so unoriginal that all you can think of when it comes to a prospective Sonic show/movie is retellings of game plots? Seriously? I can understand the desire for another 3D Sonic movie, sure, particularly after the Night of the Werehog short, but it's fucking depressing to see that all anyone actually wants is shit they've already played through. If it were to make everyone happy, I'd tolerate ONE movie themed on the classic games with minimal/no speech just for the sake of nostaliga, but trying for a bloody trilogy is just pushing it.

Wow, relax. Think about the reasoning behind it all -- Sonic isn't as popular as he once was, so to reintroduce him to the world by making movie adaptations of the classics would bring in your older audience to watch it, it'd bring in your newer audience to watch it, in case they never experienced or understood the classic games, and it'd also bring in an extra audience, curious on a hedgehog they've never experienced. They know the fundamentals of him, and to see a good movie that showcases about his origins and first few adventures would be a great way for them to get interested into the hedgehog.

Do you think the Batman movies would be as successful if they didn't make Batman Begins and Dark Knight, and just made movies with new characters and new original stories? Not everyone knows about Batman -- following his first few adventures, in my opinion, was a necessity to produce in movie form.

Does anyone else find the irony in that statement considering after that rant "BL" chose not to share any original plots of his own?
Pardon me, but did I ever claim to be original? No. I'm just expressing my hatred for rehashes of game plots for prospective Sonic movies - whether or not I offer ideas of my own is completely irrelevant.

Besides, I have stated elsewhere my desire for a self-parody, which in all fairness does count.

This is something someone who might never have even heard of Sonic the hedgehog might go see, so yeah I'd say its pretty justified to give them Sonic at its most basic level, and not go diving right into "what ifs" plots about alternate realities where Maria may have survived and what Shadow would be like if she had just to satisfy selfish fangasms of being original.
Sonic "at its most basic level" shouldn't need a retelling to form some kind of semblance of what the hell is going on. All the audience needs to know is that Eggman is the bad guy, and Sonic is the good guy - that is the ONLY necessary basis for establishing a Sonic plot in the games and there's no reason why that should differ from the movies either. You can't honestly say that you absolutely need to bring back the old stories just for the sake of basic audience understanding - most of anything they need to know doesn't even strictly originate from them in the first place. Edited by Blacklightning

Personally I'd find a movie based on the original mega drive game kind of boring. It would only have Sonic and Eggman in it so unless they added a bunch of new characters to interact with or combined it with the 2nd and 3rd games not much would happen.