Awoo.

Thoughts on a 3D Sonic Movie?

Creamy

Personally I'd find a movie based on the original mega drive game kind of boring. It would only have Sonic and Eggman in it so unless they added a bunch of new characters to interact with or combined it with the 2nd and 3rd games not much would happen.

There's more characters in the first Sonic game than just Sonic and Eggman. All the animals you end up freeing? They're all characters that can be in the movie, and interact with Sonic. A good writer and director can make the interactions very amusing, and very fun.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, everybody knows SEGA will one day make a Sonic movie in 3D, there's no "ifs" about it.

Yeah, everybody knows SEGA will one day make a Sonic movie in 3D, there's no "ifs" about it.

No they won't.

Sonic's past his prime. If there was ever a chance of a full-length Sonic film, it's already passed, Jack.

I wouldn't count Sonic out, even based on his current popularity. We all know Hollywood is developing adaptations all of the time, even of franchises that are not as mainstream anymore. Really, who would've guessed that there was enough demand to make films based on Underdog, The Chipmunks, and Tom and Jerry? These characters are not really ice-breakers anymore, and yet they're coming back aren't they? I personally think Sonic is still a viable product for film.

Now, if I were in charge of a Sonic movie, I wouldn't want an origin story. Any origins established at this point can be read about by anyone who seeks to learn the information which is what a movie should push the average non-fan into doing, and the Sonic fans who will inevitably watch it will not be as surprised and thrilled as they would be otherwise. Rather, I'd like to see the movie serve as an introduction to the audience as to what the franchise is ultimately about: Super-powered animals fighting mad scientists and monsters. I'd work within the most broad framework by using a basic Sonic vs. Eggman story wherein Eggman is trying to develop his Eggmanland and Sonic and friends journey to stop him. With such a basic scenario, it'd give the studio the ability to really focus on story progression and character interaction which would push the emotional factor and make the movie further appeal to everyone (assuming Sega still isn't so conservative with how their hedgehog is portrayed, of course).

tl;dr-- Do it the Pixar way and you won't go wrong!

Edited by Nepenthe

True, but I'm also mostly basing it off that I don't see many animated movies based on video games floating around these days. Hollywood sure loves its live-action adaptations of existing material though.

(A new Tom and Jerry movie? ew)

You say "these days" as if theatrical animated adaptations of games were ever a dime a dozen. Really, under that qualifier, Sonic's never even had a chance for the industry to pass on. xD

And yes, it's coming. Prepare for horrific slapstick in the future.

I think a Sonic movie is entirely plausible, I'd love to see a fully CGI Sonic movie some day. At least before I graduate from college. :P

I'm not so sure, I think it'd just bring more problems considering they'd need to redesign him to fit in. Ditch the big head and the uni-eye? Fans would be steaming! I'm not even sure myself if it's necessary and it would be kinda weird... Let's face it, the Sonic we see in game demos are the most realistic that design is gonna get. After all, he was meant to be a cartoon, just like mickey and all the rest. Maybe they will, make a movie, just not live.

Now, if I were in charge of a Sonic movie, I wouldn't want an origin story.

Do it the Pixar way and you won't go wrong!

So true. They're rebootin' all the superhero movies to start fresh, that's what we'd need. I hope that they'll reboot the TF movies a decade from now if Micheal Bay the director screws up the 3rd one like the last.

I'm not so sure, I think it'd just bring more problems considering they'd need to redesign him to fit in. Ditch the big head and the uni-eye? Fans would be steaming! I'm not even sure myself if it's necessary and it would be kinda weird... Let's face it, the Sonic we see in game demos are the most realistic that design is gonna get. After all, he was meant to be a cartoon, just like mickey and all the rest. Maybe they will, make a movie, just not live.

Why would Sonic need to be redesigned for a movie? Movies don't always automatically mean live action, you know.

I don't know what to do with the movie itself, but if I had to choose the voice cast (depending on who makes it in), I'd either go for the 4Kids guys, provided the voice director knows how people are MEANT to sound like, even if they are voicing bright coloured animals, or perhaps a celebrity cast if I had to choose one (hopefully you're still sticking with me by this point) would be...

Sonic: Jack Black (I can't help it, I love that guy XD)

Tails: I dunno, I can't think of one...

Knuckles: The guy who did Raphael in the TMNT movie (Again, my best thought)

Eggman: Mako (I know he's dead, but imagine how awesome that'd be) or Patrick Stewart.

Amy: Sarah Michelle Gellar (I'm getting the feeling I'm just getting most of the voices from the TMNT movie)

Shadow: I don't know why, but a vengeful anti-hero? ... For some reason I'm thinking Christian Bale or Johnny Depp, I can't imagine why.

Rouge: Angelina Jolie (You may think that's silly, but for some reason I think that'd be some pretty idealistic casting)

Big/Omega: I don't know, the Duke Nukem guy again?

Espio: David Boreanaz (the guy who plays Angel)

Vector: The guy who was The Thing from the recent Fantastic 4 movies

Anyway, that's my stupid list of celebrities. What's yours? :D

The entire cast of Spaced will take over the Sonic film, playing appropriate character roles for each actor as they proceed to lampoon it with situational comedy, surrealism, and a complete waste of time. Whose time is wasted is anybody's guess!

Why would Sonic need to be redesigned for a movie? Movies don't always automatically mean live action, you know.

I meant a live action movie. Think of it, he'd need to look like a real creature to fit in. They had to totally redesign the TFs because they said they used CGI to make the original G1 models and they didn't look real enough.

I meant a live action movie. Think of it, he'd need to look like a real creature to fit in. They had to totally redesign the TFs because they said they used CGI to make the original G1 models and they didn't look real enough.

Because we all know that real-live action film adaptations of cartoons, animes, video games, and other assorted media formats have all done so well in the box office, and in the minds of reviewers, fans, and the average movie watchers.

(Comic books being one of the few exceptions to this rule - but then again they have a primarily realistic-looking human cast to begin with.)

Edited by HunterTSF

Having a human looking cast has nothing to do with it. That "Fist of the North Star" movie was just as big a turd as any of the movies you linked. So what makes the comic book movies make money and get good reviews while the cartoon and video game movies flounder? The comic book movies stay accurate to the source material and put forth effort to reproduce the importtant aspects of that material.

No they won't.

Sonic's past his prime. If there was ever a chance of a full-length Sonic film, it's already passed, Jack.

First of all, the name's Rob, not Jack. And Second, if the people who make movies are stupid enough to make a dumb Avatar the last airbender movie, you can tell Sonic's coming soon.

First of all, the name's Rob, not Jack.

Not anymore, it isn't! Your new name is BUNNY EARS.

And Second, if the people who make movies are stupid enough to make a dumb Avatar the last airbender movie, you can tell Sonic's coming soon.

Live-action Avatar (or any other movie) being made has absolutely no bearing on a Sonic one being green-lit. I don't follow.

I don't see why anyone would even consider making a live-action Sonic movie, why wouldn't CGI or anime suffice? A full length CGI Sonic movie with action comparable to that of Unleashed's opening scene would be absolutely awesome, and I would definitely Sonicfag myself through that entire movie.

Just pulling this out of my ass, but a live-action Sonic (with CG-rendered characters) would probably be cheaper to make than a completely CG movie, since that's less CG involved to worry about!

Yes, yes, it's an awful thing to think about, I know.