Awoo.

Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games

Carbo

36 minutes ago, Forte-Metallix said:

So she's a color-blind, ungrateful, brain-dead jerk that makes heroes clean up messes they didn't cause and rewards them with nothing but a postcard?

And there's no excuse for locking characters to certain events on the Wii U version; that'd be like if Rosalina was only playable in World Star in 3D World. "Lack of effort" has been synonymous with this series since Beijing, and it's just about reached its peak here.

As for the top one

She's cute and people find her hollow.

As for the last thing, yeah that's weird. Like on a technical level, I kind of don't understand why that is

The only thing that makes any kind of sense is that they wanted to add a lot of playable characters and either didn't want or didn't have time to build all of the animations those characters would need to be playable in all of the events.  Quantity over quality.

Serious question. How exactly are Cream and Omega represented in the Wii U version of this game? Apparently they don't have their own boss showdown or playable events because I can't find any videos of them online. And I'm actually seeing more of Charmy as a ref then Cream this time when it comes to all the vids I've seen. I haven't spotted her once. She's most likely still there but does anyone have any clarification on what she and Omega do? Oh and freaking Eggman Nega too. What's the deal?

15 hours ago, G-Force said:

The only thing that makes any kind of sense is that they wanted to add a lot of playable characters and either didn't want or didn't have time to build all of the animations those characters would need to be playable in all of the events.  Quantity over quality.

"Didn't want" sounds like it makes more sense. We've had the same cast of playable characters since the second Olympics game and this is already the fifth one. The only progress made there is apparently getting to play as one guest character in one event and apparently not all of them are even there from the 3DS version.

Cream runs the Sonic prize stand (like I said, the same position as a Pianta). Omega and Nega? Don't appear whatsoever. Nega doesn't even have a costume so he has literally zero representation.

And with Charmy also being seen in a lot of events as well? He's arguably the most prominent Sonic NPC (perhaps pipped by Orbot and Cubot, but only because they're the hosts of Single Match mode, so it's dependent on whether you play that or Heroes Showdown more). 

2 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

Cream runs the Sonic prize stand (like I said, the same position as a Pianta). Omega and Nega? Don't appear whatsoever. Nega doesn't even have a costume so he has literally zero representation.

And with Charmy also being seen in a lot of events as well? He's arguably the most prominent Sonic NPC (perhaps pipped by Orbot and Cubot, but only because they're the hosts of Single Match mode, so it's dependent on whether you play that or Heroes Showdown more). 

She runs the... prize... stand? That's... quite the odd downgrade.

Also, tumblr_nsb3knTCt71re3x32o1_500.gif

The hell is with that shit? How the fuck do you find time to make models of Wave and Zazz but forget to put in Omega? Like, he's in all the other ones. What sense does that make? God... dammit.

And yeah, I've mostly been goofing around when it comes to exaggerating how much I hate the way Charmy has been treated but in all seriousness, he's in like every video I've found on this game. This is quite the odd Olympics game.

On 7/11/2016 at 6:27 PM, LukA8 said: 

Also, is it just me or is Big just enormous here? I was running around as Vector and seriously, it looked like Big could swallow him whole. I don't think their difference was as extreme in Heroes.

I don't think the issue is Big so much as Vector being scaled down in general. When playing as him in the Equestrian event with my cousin playing Eggman I noted that Vector was much smaller than he should have been compared to Eggman.

On 7/11/2016 at 8:05 AM, Shadowlax said:

...since when?

No seriously, this is a genuine question

Sonic Battle really started it all. Amy and Rouge got really hostile towards each other, which was even reflected onto in the Sonic Battle Part 2 episode of Sonic X. The comics even reflect off of Amy and Rouge's hostility towards each other. There's also Sonic Chronicles, where Rouge kept trying to get on Amy's nerves, for no reason. Finally, there's Sonic Free Riders.

Rouge is a real jerk towards Amy, which fuels Amy to try and outdo Rouge.  And before anyone tries arguing that none of this is cannon, that really isn't much of an excuse, since Sega has been known to borrow elements from spin offs, and bring them into the main franchise. They've done it with Sonic's love of chili dogs from Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog, Tails' fear of lightning from Sonic The Hedgehog the Movie, hints of Sonic having feelings for Amy, yet always hiding them from Sonic X, Sonic's fear of water from Sonic X, even making Sticks from Sonic Boom an official Sonic character. (Mostly due to her being made by Sega in the first place, unlike the characters from the other cartoons and comics of Sonic).

If there's anything in the other shows or spin offs Sega likes, Sega will embrace it, and allow that content to be carried over into other games in the series.  Sega seems to  like seeing Rouge as a female rival for Amy, just like how Knuckles is Rouge's male rival. Regardless of whether she's a rival or not, it still makes less sense for Rouge to share a victory animation with Blaze instead of Amy. Rouge and Blaze have no history with each other outside of the Treasure Team Tango Story Arch of the Sonic Universe Comics. Amy and Rouge have had a history of interactions ever since Sonic Battle, which was carried over to other games, a tv series, and the comics. 

On 7/11/2016 at 5:27 PM, LukA8 said:

There's a Mii on the Rio beach saying how he looks forward to see Wendy Koopa participate in Ice Skating in the Winter Olympics, so I guess the Guests are probably going to stick from now on. Let's just hope they don't want an even number of good guys and baddies again or we'll have Zomom, Storm and Egg Pawn playable before the likes of Charmy. But I do think this series will not stop if it hasn't after Sochi, and this game seems to be doing better.

Also, is it just me or is Big just enormous here? I was running around as Vector and seriously, it looked like Big could swallow him whole. I don't think their difference was as extreme in Heroes.

He's bigger than Zavock even! I wouldn't be surprised if he's bigger than Zomom, Big is a monster behemoth! 

Okay I've finally got the Wii U version, and I have to say I'm a bit disappointed. While it's presented uniquely, the controls are a real scale down, just fiddly button pressing rather than any of the original motion controls. 100m is now just dull to play through.

It's especially glaring after playing the arcade version, which is a hilarious delight in how it expands on the motion physics with it's 'treadmill' booth.

That's one of the double-edges of getting rid of motions controls. I know quite a lot of people wanted it to be non-motion control, and on the one hand it does allow for Off-TV play (which I use all the time). On the other hand, some events suffer for it, the worst one for me being Gymnastics. Which is weird because the 3DS version was also button pressing but was more complex. 

15 hours ago, E-122-Psi said:

Okay I've finally got the Wii U version, and I have to say I'm a bit disappointed. While it's presented uniquely, the controls are a real scale down, just fiddly button pressing rather than any of the original motion controls. 100m is now just dull to play through.

It's especially glaring after playing the arcade version, which is a hilarious delight in how it expands on the motion physics with it's 'treadmill' booth.

Nintendo and Sega finally listen to everyone complaining about the motion controls, and now they're still unhappy...  I liked the controls in this one much more than the awful and faulty gimmick controls used in the 3ds version. I do wish some events had optional motion controls though, mainly archery. 

14 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

That's one of the double-edges of getting rid of motions controls. I know quite a lot of people wanted it to be non-motion control, and on the one hand it does allow for Off-TV play (which I use all the time). On the other hand, some events suffer for it, the worst one for me being Gymnastics. Which is weird because the 3DS version was also button pressing but was more complex. 

There are many events that aren't as good without motion controls, but I honestly like the Rythym Gymnastics a lot better with button pressing. Sometimes, the wii remote controls acted up, or didn't respond properly, which suffers the players from getting a high score they're aiming for. I thought it was much more fun in the Wii U version. 

I would love if they made a motion control patch for the game, like an option to switch between either control scheme. Then both parties can be happy.

I get implementing such mechanics would take a lot of time and they have a limited schedule due to the real life event, but all the more reason going back to it via DLC would be a reasonable bargain.

Until they make something more efficient, quicker, and easier to handle then buttons I'm always going to root for the buttons to remain where they are. I don't plan on getting this game at full price and by the time I do, the next one might be out (which is gonna suck for me since I'm not a fan of the Winter Olympics) but if I were, I'd find that my attention span lowers itself a bit whenever I'm present with something that's a hair more complex then it needs to be. So this sounds like a plus.

Doesn't excuse then for taking out Omega. 

So, it seems Shadow may have gone back to his sweary ways in this game...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-07-29-people-think-the-new-mario-and-sonic-olympics-game-shouts-a-really-bad-word

That's right, a dad has banned his daughter from playing Mario & Sonic Rio 2016 because Shadow sounds like he's saying a certain very bad word when he fails to score in the Football minigame.

Not exactly news, but it made me laugh at least. Shadow really takes missing a shot seriously! :lol:

• Thumbs Up 5

Here's something random; For the past few weeks, the Sonic Channel sound column has been covering how the music in Mario and Sonic Rio was composed.

This week is the last week, but it confirms that Sticks' theme was done for this game. It's quite interesting to hear what went into the thought process of an original character theme. 

Sticks' page is here.

• Thumbs Up 1

People wanting to hear what they want to hear. Again.

It's either a kurr or a k-shh that people hear [one of the two since I seem to hear it different each time] but people jump on it as though he's saying-

...yeah. And now it's got everywhere.

Oh, that one, Shadow possibly saying the C word.

I think he's saying "Curses!" (not the swear word) or maybe one of those effects Dark Rula mentioned.

Dave and Busters has the game at their chains for a limited time, so if you want to try the game out, don't have a Wii U or don't wanna buy the game and live close to a D&B, you can try it out now!

• 6 months later...

I got the 3DS version, but in story mode, the events are too hard. (I am currently stuck on Day 2: Beach Volleyball finals).

Is it worth playing in the various gyms and buying outfits? Does doing these things make the main events easier or are the gyms/outfits a waste of time?

Thanks! 

Yes it is, in fact you'll need to if you want to make it through the game at all (because some bosses are just that difficult with basic stats).

• Thumbs Up 1