Awoo.

Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games

Carbo

You know, I'd really like for them to change Blaze's type to Speed. All-Around doesn't make much sense for her, considering that Daisy of all people is a Speed-type, and she's shown to be almost as fast as Sonic on foot.

Jet can be the new All-Around character who learns toward Speed, since he's fast with a hoverboard, not on foot.

the game itself doesn't seem that great, but it's good to see new characters. I hope to find more quality within the core gameplay.

About the characters, it's all mere speculation but I noticed something:

Nabbit got the flag and Zazz didn't. It could simply mean that the Zazz one is casually not shown, but it could also mean that Nabbit is playable and Zazz is just a Rival. Might be a true scenario, considering that Jet and Rouge, former rival characters, are now playble, and so new rivals are coming. Also, we see 3 apparent newcomers in the Sonic side and just 2 in the Mario side, and this could lead to why I believe Zazz is actually just a rival.

But if you think about it twice, something is not right: Nabbit and Zazz are both recent characters that are quite "villains" in the game they appear, so it wouldn't seem fair for one of them to be playable and the other not.

Also, it seems strange there's any new female character on Mario side.

So, the worst and not so likely scenario would be this:

Newcomers

Jet: All Around

Rouge: Power (Unlikely)

Nabbit: Skill/Speed  ---> the trailer seem to imply he's a speed character though

Diddy: Skill/Speed

A better scenario would be

Zazz: Power

Rouge: Skill

Espio: Speed

Nabbit: Speed

Diddy: All Around

Rosalina: Power

Toad: Skill

What I sincerely hope though, is this roster:

Sonic side

Speed:  Sonic, Shadow, Metal, Blaze

Power: Knuckles, Vector, Big, Omega

All Around: Amy, Espio, Rouge, Jet

Skill: Tails, Eggman, Silver, Sticks

Rivals: Nega, Zazz, Chaos 0, Emerl

Referee: Cream, Charmy, Omochao, Chip etc...

Mario Side

Speed: Yoshi, Daisy, Nabbit, Birdo

Power: Bowser, Wario, DK, Rosalina

All Around: Mario, Luigi, B. Jr, Diddy

Skill: Peach, Waluigi, Toad, Kamek

Rivals: Petey, Bullet Bill, Dry Bowser, K. Boo

Referee: Toadette, Lakitu, Shy Guy, Koopa  etc...

the game itself doesn't seem that great, but it's good to see new characters. I hope to find more quality within the core gameplay.

About the characters, it's all mere speculation but I noticed something:

Nabbit got the flag and Zazz didn't. It could simply mean that the Zazz one is casually not shown, but it could also mean that Nabbit is playable and Zazz is just a Rival. Might be a true scenario, considering that Jet and Rouge, former rival characters, are now playble, and so new rivals are coming. Also, we see 3 apparent newcomers in the Sonic side and just 2 in the Mario side, and this could lead to why I believe Zazz is actually just a rival.

But if you think about it twice, something is not right: Nabbit and Zazz are both recent characters that are quite "villains" in the game they appear, so it wouldn't seem fair for one of them to be playable and the other not.

Also, it seems strange there's any new female character on Mario side.

So, the worst and not so likely scenario would be this:

Newcomers

Rouge: Power (Unlikely)

Nabbit: Skill/Speed  ---> the trailer seem to imply he's a speed character though

Diddy: Skill/Speed

A better scenario would be

Zazz: Power

Rouge: Skill

Espio: Speed

Nabbit: Speed

Diddy: All Around

Rosalina: Power

Toad: Skill

What I sincerely hope though, is this roster:

Sonic side

Speed:  Sonic, Shadow, Metal, Blaze

Power: Knuckles, Vector, Big, Omega

All Around: Amy, Espio, Rouge, Jet

Skill: Tails, Eggman, Silver, Sticks

Rivals: Nega, Zazz, Chaos 0, Emerl

Referee: Cream, Charmy, Omochao, Chip etc...

Mario Side

Speed: Yoshi, Daisy, Nabbit, Birdo

Power: Bowser, Wario, DK, Rosalina

All Around: Mario, Luigi, B. Jr, Diddy

Skill: Peach, Waluigi, Toad, Kamek

Rivals: Petey, Bullet Bill, Dry Bowser, K. Boo

Referee: Toadette, Lakitu, Shy Guy, Koopa  etc...

We didn't see a Zazz flag, but we didn't get a good few of the audience either.

That said, I think its just as likely that Zazz could be "Technique", Rouge "All-Around", Jet "Speed", and Omega "Power". In fact, I think its more likely this way. Or Zazz "All Around" with "Rouge" Technique.

As much as I want refs to be playable, the rivals would probably get promoted first. (So probably no Toad, either.) Granted, Captain Toad could be used just fine instead on the Mario side.

Regardless, I think there are definitely at least 8 characters, even if Zazz is a rival.

We didn't see a Zazz flag, but we didn't get a good few of the audience either.

That said, I think its just as likely that Zazz could be "Technique", Rouge "All-Around", Jet "Speed", and Omega "Power". In fact, I think its more likely this way. Or Zazz "All Around" with "Rouge" Technique.

As much as I want refs to be playable, the rivals would probably get promoted first. (So probably no Toad, either.) Granted, Captain Toad could be used just fine instead on the Mario side.

Regardless, I think there are definitely at least 8 characters, even if Zazz is a rival.

I'd rather have Rouge technique. It's boring to have all the Sonic ladies in All Around, aside from the fact that Blaze deserves to be a speed character a lot more than Jet 

If K.Rool got in, typing him would be tricky, because he works in Speed, Power, or Technique, as he's always depicted as strong and fast, but hey, at the moment that is a hypothetical, though his last appearance was a sports game, he would fit in nicely, DK could use his arch nemesis, and him and Vector facing off would be rather hilarious

If K.Rool got in, typing him would be tricky, because he works in Speed, Power, or Technique, as he's always depicted as strong and fast, but hey, at the moment that is a hypothetical, though his last appearance was a sports game, he would fit in nicely, DK could use his arch nemesis, and him and Vector facing off would be rather hilarious

I hate to be the party pooper but K. Rool has got to be so low down on the list of potential playable characters that he's honestly not even worth speculating about at this point. At the end of the day this is a Mario & Sonic crossover, not a Donkey Kong one - and while you can argue that K. Rool has been in Mario sports games before, that was only the baseball ones, and that's only because they had big teams and threw tons of minor characters in that would never have been playable otherwise. If he's been shafted from his own mainstay franchise and didn't even get a mention in Smash Bros beyond a trophy, there's extremely little chance of him showing his face here.

Honestly, Rosalina aside, I don't think there'll be that many new characters to come. And if there are, there's far more deserving characters from the actual Mario series that should be prioritised first.

But hey, what do I know? This game could end up with a massive roster and I'm more than willing to be proven wrong. I just don't think K. Rool should pip any of the more "proper" Mario characters to the post when it comes to character selection.

• Thumbs Up 3

If they finally add Omega to the roster, I'll get this game. Maybe. 

But it is a good thing that they are finally expanding the rosters, these games would benefit from having more playable characters.

• Thumbs Up 1

I hate to be the party pooper but K. Rool has got to be so low down on the list of potential playable characters that he's honestly not even worth speculating about at this point. At the end of the day this is a Mario & Sonic crossover, not a Donkey Kong one - and while you can argue that K. Rool has been in Mario sports games before, that was only the baseball ones, and that's only because they had big teams and threw tons of minor characters in that would never have been playable otherwise. If he's been shafted from his own mainstay franchise and didn't even get a mention in Smash Bros beyond a trophy, there's extremely little chance of him showing his face here.

Honestly, Rosalina aside, I don't think there'll be that many new characters to come. And if there are, there's far more deserving characters from the actual Mario series that should be prioritised first.

But hey, what do I know? This game could end up with a massive roster and I'm more than willing to be proven wrong. I just don't think K. Rool should pip any of the more "proper" Mario characters to the post when it comes to character selection.

I like the idea, but I agree. K. Rool is a slim shot, but if they add a ton, I wouldn't mind him being one of them. But I can't see more than 3 more (4 if Zazz is just a rival, which I doubt) at this point in time.

After others talked me out of Eggman Nega, I basically came to the conclusion the last characters are just Omega, Rosalina, and one more. But I'd love if they added a ton.

I recently replayed Sochi and found out that each Mii outfit has an ability type matching the respective character. According to the game, Rouge and Diddy Kong are both Skill types while Jet is a Speed type, so there really might be eight new characters this time if they plan not to change these types. So assuming Nabbit is as Speed character, that would leave room for two Power and two All-Around characters. The most hilarious fact, however, is that Omega is classified as a Speed type character, and he's always been used for speed-oriented events ever since his debut as a rival.

Anyway, I'm still not convinced at all there will be eight newcomers in this game and think they will move Rouge to Power and Jet to All-Around instead. With 24 characters, each type is finally balanced with 3 characters from each series, and adding another four would actually UNbalance the roster again. They probably revealed the newcomers this early because just like in Sochi, there will (sadly) not be a full CGI intro which would have been a better opportunity to reveal them. I don't want to sound too pessimistic, but I think anyone looking forward to even more characters will be disappointed in the end.

Hey guys, I made this picture about this game. Let me show it to you. I hope you like it.

M6xqldN.jpg

• Thumbs Up 6

According to a user on the marioboards, there were some leaked screenshots on the Rio 2016 blog, one of them showing Rosalina performing in the Synchronized Swimming event. While there is no proof for that, the user did upload three of the leaked screenshots showing some arenas.

If Rosalina (unsurprisingly) is playable, then the list of newcomers might look like this:

Power: Zazz, ???

All-Around: Rosalina, ???

Speed: Nabbit, Jet

Skill: Diddy Kong, Rouge

So who are the missing Mario Power and Sonic All-Around characters? Let's look at the rivalries for help:

Nabbit vs Jet (two thieves)

Rosalina vs Rouge

Diddy Kong vs ???: Espio or Charmy would make the most sense thanks to the DK/Vector rivalry, but Sochi lists Espio as Speed and Charmy as Skill. Cream, however, is an All-Around Type and, not counting her Mii outfit, was completely missing from Sochi and might have been planned to be playable back then. Though I always envisioned her as a rival for Toad...

Zazz vs ???: I can't think of another Mario Power character, and while I would love to have King Boo, who would probably not work, Roy or Morton Koopa would make the most sense. I still hope Zazz is a rival, anyway.

According to a user on the marioboards, there were some leaked screenshots on the Rio 2016 blog, one of them showing Rosalina performing in the Synchronized Swimming event. While there is no proof for that, the user did upload three of the leaked screenshots showing some arenas.

The burning question is though... was she wearing a swimsuit?  B)

On a more serious note, any link to the leaked arena screenshots?

The burning question is though... was she wearing a swimsuit? B)

On a more serious note, any link to the leaked arena screenshots?

I hope Rosalina has a swim suit, I was already kinda mad she never got a Sports outfit.

Excellent, thank you!

The flags in the backgrounds definitely confirm that Bowser, Vector, Metal Sonic and Mii are returning as playable characters in addition to the ones we already knew about. Still no definitive proof of Rosalina but I'm willing to believe this leak!

Not shocking at all, I figured Rosalina was playable. Again, betting on Omega for the last Sonic character (assuming there's 8 new). I doubt there's only 6 new; that's unbalanced.

Thought I should drop this here from the article's comment section.

Quote from: PeDaRoYs on June 06, 2015, 12:15:52 AM
I’m not really sure if that’s really Rosalina since these screenshots were placed in a grid and in low quality.
Don’t confirm it yet. We just going to wait until E3.
I think that the Rugby 7s screenshot is just a development screenshot. I don’t know if you can do multiple Marios in this game.

Soo..in case the character he saw was a Mii in a Rosalina outfit or something, I'll go back to not expecting any more newcomers again. Thankfully, it's not long until E3 and clarity.

• 2 weeks later...

But sticks isn't even in the Sega!Sonic continuity. Unless Sega is planning on making her a canon immigrant.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sticks playable before Marine. What. The. HELL. ><

EDIT: Yeah I suppose it was just Sonic Boom promotion really.

Edited by Gabz Girl

Sticks was designed by Sonic Team. Sonic Team loves to keep those they designed around. she's also relevant currently due to the cartoon and Boom games. I'd expect her to be in the same category of Silver and all from now on, appearing in multiplayers and party games.

I see it as a promotional gig for her respective game, same with Zazz from before.