Carbo

Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games

Part of me wonders if Sticks' presence is a showing of SEGA being more open to other interpretations, though granted they did do a lot of endorsing for X when it was aired (Cream may surpass Sticks if claims that she was originally made exclusively for X are true).

I suppose they should prepare for the 'Why aren't Sally/Scratch and Grounder/Snively/Sonia and Manic/etc allowed in the games if SHE'S there???' rants though.

The difference between Sticks and the Archie/SatAM characters is that the latter weren't made with Sega's involvement.  As far as the games go, they're essentially only Sonic characters by virtue of existing alongside Sonic, rather than by being an integral and interwoven part of his history.  I believe Sonic Team is the one that designed Sticks, so she's still more of an official Sonic character than the others.  Besides that, Scratch and Grounder were in Mean Bean Machine, and the Freedom Fighters were in Spinball as well as a canceled SatAM game.  I mean, those aren't exactly significant roles, mind you, but I'm just saying that they weren't any more shy about including them in game form as they are Sticks.

I'm personally more worried about the "Why can't Chris Thorndyke be in the games, then?" arguments, because there's no valid answer that doesn't sound cynical and mean-spirited, especially when he would have actually fit into the series around the time SADX was released.

I just watched the trailer yesterday, do we definitely know that the playable character roster is expanding? I hope so, but what with the challenging them in the previous games and not being playable does make me hesitate.

I like Nabbit for some reason and Zazz is my favourite Zeti. I always felt Rouge should've been playable from the start.

You're saying Sticks is included too? That's a nice surprise. I'd like Rosalina playable, the female cast needs to be expanded on I reckon. I wonder if the Koopalings will make some sort of an appearance...

I just watched the trailer yesterday, do we definitely know that the playable character roster is expanding? I hope so, but what with the challenging them in the previous games and not being playable does make me hesitate.

It's not been "officially" confirmed I don't think, but most of those new characters have flags being waved around in the audience if you look closely, which only tends to be the case with characters who are playable. Either way though I think it's highly unlikely that they'd be showing off this many rival characters so soon if they weren't actually going to be on the roster, that'd just be misleading - we don't even know if there's a single player/story mode yet, after all.

It's not been "officially" confirmed I don't think, but most of those new characters have flags being waved around in the audience if you look closely, which only tends to be the case with characters who are playable. Either way though I think it's highly unlikely that they'd be showing off this many rival characters so soon if they weren't actually going to be on the roster, that'd just be misleading - we don't even know if there's a single player/story mode yet, after all.

That...makes a lot of sense now that I think about it. Plus while it has been a while since I played an M&S game, I think the rival matches were mostly one-on-one games and if a team was required, the rival still played on there own. Like a bobsleigh race against Bonzai Bill on one of the winter games.

So "Mario And Sonic At The 2016 Rio Games" is heading to Japanese arcades, courtesy of "SEGA". Playtests will be held in "Club SEGA Akihabara" and "SEGA World Kasai". First time in series history to head to arcades. Huh. http://gonintendo.com/stories/238582-mario-sonic-at-the-rio-2016-olympic-games-coming-to-japanese-a

Edited by baba_944

Huh, that's interesting. Never thought I'd see something like that in arcades, but I get why and that's pretty cool. The way it's all set up with minigames anyways makes it a nice concept for something to play at the arcade. It's a shame that we probably won't see this, just like with Sonic Athletics.

This different than the Sonic Atheletics. That was a indoor theme park attraction. At Club Sega this will be a videogame. I wonder tough what they will do, standard joysticks? Gimmicks cabinets are too expensive these days.

Edited by ChikaBoing

We can safely say for a fact that Diddy, Rouge, Jet, and Nabbit are playable. All of them are present on teams and aren't encountered one-on-one or with an NPC only team like was the case with Dry Bowser (he was encountered with multiple Dry Bones accompanying him).

Zazz and Sticks are unknowns as of yet.

I'm thinking this probably doesn't need its own topic and can easily be discussed in the actual Rio topic, so I'll be merging the two topics together.

Anyway, I think it's interesting... and of course it would be Japan exclusive, but I'm so used to it, I can't even be upset by it.  Really, I think that being in an arcade might do wonders for the game.  The atmosphere, setting, and general play style of arcades might save it from being completely boring.  Granted, the game doesn't look like arcade material, but I guess it doesn't matter too much in this day and age.

EDIT- Probably should have read this topic first to make sure there wasn't a clashing conversation going on at the same time.  My apologies.

Edited by Tara