Awoo.

Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games

Carbo

Well,I have a feeling all 7 koopalings will  be playable as Nintendo did this to MK8 and SSB4 .If this comes to be true,we may have a chance to get another addition characters on Sonic's side.But then,it is still too early to judge though,and they may need new rival cast since some are moved to playable,which I think Eggman Nega and Dry Bowser will stay ,maybe Zazz is truly a rival?We'll have to wait for next few months to see that.

Edited by jerrytown

Or maybe all of the deadly six is coming........

If all of the Koopalings are in, then they most likely will.

Though the Koopalings have 1 more member, so there'll need to be another Sonic character to compensate.

If all of the Koopalings are in, then they most likely will.

Though the Koopalings have 1 more member, so there'll need to be another Sonic character to compensate.

Bowser Jr., meet Knuckles Jr.!

• Thumbs Up 7

Including all the Koopalings and as a consequence, the Deadly Six would require this game to contain a total of 22 newcomers (24 for balanced roster), which hilariously enough is more characters than the series has had for eight years.

No matter if all of them are in this game or not, I fear by opening this door future newcomers have already been decided, making inclusions such as Omega, Big, Cream or Espio even more unlikely.

I do wonder why they're suddenly going crazy in terms of characters. The Winter Olympics had 4 newcomers, and here .. at least 12? Is this the final Mario & Sonic game or something?

CTt-MtOWsAAbJN5.png:large

So one of the events pretty blatantly runs on the Miku Project Mirai DX engine

I find this hilarious.

(confirmed to be best event)

I doubt all of the Koopalings are in. It's probably just Ludwig and Wendy. Ludwig is the leader and Wendy's the girl, so it makes sense

The Koopalings are always a group though. There's never been an instance where all 7 didn't appear together.

If they were just going to use 2, it'd be better to use Boom Boom and Pom Pom since there's only 2 of them.

Edited by Rad Dudesman

The Koopalings are always a group though. There's never been an instance where all 7 didn't appear together.

Mario Is Missing, and Iggy's cameos in Mario Sunshine and LazerBlazer- Type A, if those count. 

Here's a screenshot of that last one:

200px-SuperScope6MarioIggy.png

Also, Boom Boom and Pom Pom are technically generic enemies. Multiple Boom Booms appear in the overworld of NSMBU, in Puzzle & Dragons: Mario Edition, and in this game's Rugby event simultaneously.

The Koopalings are better choices because they're all unique. (Although Dry Bones made the cut, for some reason)

maybe it is useless, but analyzing the roster 'til now I thought of something.

Sonic has  4 new characters confirmed (plus Zazz whose role is kind of uncertain), and 3 of them are females (Jet, Rouge, Wave, Sticks)

Mario has 6 new characters confirmed with 2 females (Nabbit, Diddy, Rosalina, Wendy, Ludwing, Dry Bone)

if u look at the roster from the last games, Sonic side lacks a Power and an All Around char, while Mario side lacks 1 for Skill and one for Speed

if you add 6 newcomers for each side you could reach a grand total of 32, so you could have a perfect 8 chars for each class.

It could be possible that all the newcomers from Mario side had been revealed, but the number of female characters is not equal, and they usually care about this thing...So I'm guessing there will be another female character from Mario side (possibly Toadette) and another one, and at the same way Sonic side will have 9 newcomers in total. Then we will reach 36 playable characters, with 9 for each class.

In my personal dream they could also double the roster with a total of 40 characters, but I suppose it is too much of a stretch

About Zazz,  the inclusion of Nabbit and 2 koopalings ( the three of them being the main characters' rivals/villains from recent games) leads me to think that he's goin' to be playable too.

If my predictions of 18 newcomers in total are true, basing on popularity, we still have to see:

Espio, Big, Omega, Charmy     and       Toadette, Kamek

And I'm not even digging into DLC territory (I'm thinking about Classic Sonic and Baby Mario)

another theory...what if they decided to drop the classes/categories? This way they'd have less restrains for newcomers

Edited by DaN

What... odd choices.

The fact that Rouge is just now playable 5 games in is weird enough but it's strange how they're vi-passing a lot more of the other expected choices with this. You'd think they'd do what they did with Runners and pull from the designated main cast before pulling from things outside the realm of the main cast.

Why Wave exactly? I thought the initial reason they chose Vector and left his teammates as referees was because he represented the Chaotix. They did that all the time with Jet too. However, if they're okay with having the teammates of the group leaders be playable they why are they just now doing that... and why with the Babylon Rogues and not Team Chaotix, Team Rose, or the last member of Team Dark? Wave?

Zazz isn't even the leader of the Deadly Six... so I can only guess that he was chosen because he was the most... popular? I suppose...?

It kind of feels like these guys would be better fit as the replacement bosses rather then the choices for playable characters.

I'm not angry or even saying there's anything wrong with just picking random characters as all the characters probably deserve recognition of some kind but figuring out the thought process behind these decisions is a little baffling.

• Thumbs Up 1

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t31.0-8/12240247_420811491460218_3262128459313314182_o.jpg Did anyone else notice Sticks is wearing a belt in this? It's interesting, because she's never shown in Sonic Boom wearing a belt, and instead has draw strings for her outfit to stay secure. It's definitely not some kind of archery quiver or carrier, so is this the only change in appearance she'll be given for if she's an official Sonic game character? I kind of like it. 

Never mind, it's an archery belt, Silver is even wearing one during the trailer, when he was doing archery, so it's safe to assume each character wears a belt in archery.

Edited by SpongicX

Zazz isn't even the leader of the Deadly Six... so I can only guess that he was chosen because he was the most... popular? I suppose...?

IIRC, he's also the only Deadly Six member in Dash and Runners. I think SEGA considers him the most recognizable of the group? Maybe because he's the first one you fight in LW? *shrug*

• Thumbs Up 1

Why Wave exactly? I thought the initial reason they chose Vector and left his teammates as referees was because he represented the Chaotix. They did that all the time with Jet too. However, if they're okay with having the teammates of the group leaders be playable they why are they just now doing that... and why with the Babylon Rogues and not Team Chaotix, Team Rose, or the last member of Team Dark? Wave?

That's what I always thought as well. Each team from Heroes had one member to represent them in M&S, and that's why Vector was included over Big or Omega. They walked around that in the Winter Olympics by adding Metal and Silver, but Rouge was always high on the list. That's why adding Wave and maybe Storm seems so strange. However, since quite a few developers from the Olympics started working on Runners after Sochi, maybe the developers for the Riders series, O2, are now working on the Olympics? That would explain all these birds' inclusion.

If the last Power character turns out to be Storm, then the Babylons will be the only complete team next to Team Sonic. If Omega makes it, then Team Dark will be complete. If it's Big, then the Chaotix are the only team represented with one member.

Of course, there may be another 4 characters, but I believe with so many newcomers, they want to hold back some of the more requested characters such as Espio, Cream, Toad or Birdo for a possible sequel. That would also explain why characters such as Wendy, Dry Bones and Zazz are playable now. The twelve new characters thing is probably some kind of apology for not including anyone in the last two outings.

What I'm also interested in is who will be the new rivals. Wouldn't it look strange to fight only five Koopalings at once, or five members of the Deadly Six? King Boo, Dry Bowser and Eggman Nega will definitely remain as rivals, but I wonder who's beyond that. It would be interesting to have Espio, Cream or Charmy as rivals, but I guess the developers have always considered them unfitting for that role.

I liked the season finale, the gang were in character, and had a great team effort throughout. I enjoyed Eggman fanboying over Shadow, and breaking the fourth wall on how he's the second best character in the canon. The scenes here Sonic and the gang were trying to help Amy build her shelf was kind of funny.

The final battle could've been longer, but it was still good. My only real complaint is that Shadow's voice still sounds awful and hissy. Orbot and Cubot's commentary of hoping for more episodes was kind of funny, yet made me sigh a bit as well. They joked about how limited the cast and locations were, while teasing for more of that, instead of teasing for more new locations to explore in season 2 and beyond. 

I still find Cartoon Network stupid for not promoting the last episode of season one. It also annoys me that there will be no reruns for the following weeks, and Teen Titans Go will take Sonic Boom's timeslot instead... (Just kill that damn show Cartoon Network, most everyone seems to hate that overrated pile of trash! I hope they see a sudden rating drop on the timeslot that used to be for Sonic Boom.

whoops... Wrong thread

Edited by SpongicX

I know I get annoyed every time, but Wave before Espio?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dmbdpwauvfc

If we've got Wave, Espio is definitely playable. Notably, he has not been seen anywhere as a referee yet either, while Orbot and Cubot are now refs.

What... odd choices.

The fact that Rouge is just now playable 5 games in is weird enough but it's strange how they're vi-passing a lot more of the other expected choices with this. You'd think they'd do what they did with Runners and pull from the designated main cast before pulling from things outside the realm of the main cast.

It kind of feels like these guys would be better fit as the replacement bosses rather then the choices for playable characters.

I'm not angry or even saying there's anything wrong with just picking random characters as all the characters probably deserve recognition of some kind but figuring out the thought process behind these decisions is a little baffling.

In regards to Omega, I think he's definitely coming. I guess if there is only one left then its going to be Omega, but I find it unlikely at this point there is only one more. The game is still months out and they've been announcing waves of characters.

I think there's at least three more Sonic characters and two more Mario characters at this point.

Damn are they really kicking this up a notch. Maybe this is going to be the last one and they want to go out with a bang lol?

• Thumbs Up 2

If we've got Wave, Espio is definitely playable. Notably, he has not been seen anywhere as a referee yet either, while Orbot and Cubot are now refs.

In regards to Omega, I think he's definitely coming. I guess if there is only one left then its going to be Omega, but I find it unlikely at this point there is only one more. The game is still months out and they've been announcing waves of characters.

I think there's at least three more Sonic characters and two more Mario characters at this point.

Damn are they really kicking this up a notch. Maybe this is going to be the last one and they want to go out with a bang lol?

These reveals would certainly make more sense to me if there were more coming. Though I honestly think it's more plausible that they tossed some dice and flipped a few coins to decide a few of these slots. Except for Sticks because everything needs more Boom as far as their concerned. I wouldn't be surprised if something Boom related was seen in the next anniversary title.

Of course, there may be another 4 characters, but I believe with so many newcomers, they want to hold back some of the more requested characters such as Espio, Cream, Toad or Birdo for a possible sequel. That would also explain why characters such as Wendy, Dry Bones and Zazz are playable now. The twelve new characters thing is probably some kind of apology for not including anyone in the last two outings.

What I'm also interested in is who will be the new rivals. Wouldn't it look strange to fight only five Koopalings at once, or five members of the Deadly Six? King Boo, Dry Bowser and Eggman Nega will definitely remain as rivals, but I wonder who's beyond that. It would be interesting to have Espio, Cream or Charmy as rivals, but I guess the developers have always considered them unfitting for that role.

About Toad and Birdo, I find it rather strange that they are still  NPCs...maybe it is because Toad's body is too small (he doesn't even have legs), he's possibly very complicated to animate for most of the sports.  Don't know what to say about Birdo...she's a prominent female character and it's a shame she doesn't seem to be playable. 

Now the question is: if Toad is out because of his proportions, it's safe to say Toadette will have the same fate... who's gonna be the next female Mario character then? They could surprise us and throw in someone like Ashley from the Wario game series or Dixie Kong (prefer the first one)

Edited by DaN

Haven't we seen some sort of playable Toad though?

did you say playable toad? we all know the right answer to this

SMB2_boss_Wart.gif

Wart of course!

we've seen Toad and his recolors as CPU players (definitely not playable) during the soccer match alongside Eggpawns and recolors of Birdo. Talking about Birdo, I don't recall seeing her in her original color....might be a sign that she's playable? It'd be rather strange though...

About Toad and Birdo, I find it rather strange that they are still  NPCs...maybe it is because Toad's body is too small (he doesn't even have legs), he's possibly very complicated to animate for most of the sports.  Don't know what to say about Birdo...she's a prominent female character and it's a shame she doesn't seem to be playable. 

Now the question is: if Toad is out because of his proportions, it's safe to say Toadette will have the same fate... who's gonna be the next female Mario character then? They could surprise us and throw in someone like Ashley from the Wario game series or Dixie Kong (prefer the first one)

If Dry Bones is playable (which is absolutely awesome btw! XD), I don't see why Toad's proportions would be the reason why he's not playable. He also works perfectly fine in games like Mario Strikers, Mario Super Sluggers/Superstar Baseball and Mario Sports Mix. That said, there probably isn't much other reason for him not to be playable aside from him just being such a perfect for a referee/other npc. That still doesn't explain why they wouldn't just use generic Toads for those roles, however...

While I'm here, I'm just going to say how I love that Sega and Nintendo are making up for the previous games by bringing all these new characters in Rio 2016. It's been a long time coming for Jet, Rouge and Diddy and I never would have thought that I'd see Sticks or Dry Bones in a M&S Olympics game. I'm feeling optimistic about this one for the characters alone. :) As long as they don't do the weird character grouping thing I'll probably buy this.

Regarding the lack of Espio...it could be because he has no voice actor anymore. Troy Baker recently became a Union voice actor in 2012* which was after he voiced Espio for Generations 2011. Game companies tend to be very fickle with unions, so that's probably a big reason why we haven't seen him in anything lately.

*My only source for this is TV Tropes' page for Troy Baker himself, so take that as you will.

• 3 weeks later...

Voice actors are easily replaced. Also new info on the 3DS version is going to be in this weeks Famitsu

• Thumbs Up 3