Awoo.

Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games

Carbo

This beefed up roster might actually sway me to get the game.  The last one I got was the Winter Olympics and from what I remember, I enjoyed the game.  The new games look less "archaic" than the old DS style.

Edited by Taokaka

Nice roster indeed! Hyped for Espio... I was expecting Big and Tikal too, but there could still be DLC ;)

Now, about the types...let's speculate

Speed:  Sonic, Shadow, Metal Sonic, Blaze, Jet           

Power: Knuckles, Vector, Rouge, Omega, Zavok          

All Around: Amy, Espio, Sticks, Wave, Zazz                  

Skill: Tails, Eggman, Silver, Eggman Nega, Cream       

...also, did you notice that Sonic side has 6 females while Mario only has 5? strange...

• Thumbs Up 1

That video also confirmed that there won't be an Amiibo line for this game, pretty much. Just as I thought. 

Wonder what capacity Charmy and Storm will appear in, if at all, given that they're not playable. The bit showing off Espio had Orbot at the side as a regulator, so it's not like those sorts of roles have completely been given to the generic species. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I wouldn't worry about the renders yet. It just seems like they just using it to confirm the playable characters.

Donkey Kong has a new render but they didn't use it in the picture so its not for sure that they'll reuse old renders. 

I feel like some are gonna be in groups lile maybe a render of the koopalings and the deadly six in a face off or something because that's alot of them holy shit. So glad that were getting this many playable characters. I'm glad they are going all out with the roster. Now I hope we got loads of dream events.

Edited by jords
  • Thumbs Up 3

Also the Koopalings vs the Deadly Six.

Aren't there only 2 members of the Deadly Six in this game though?

I noticed that Toad isn't in that picture. I guess there wasn't mushroom for him....*leaves*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82ANkjVEpYk

Speed:  Sonic, Shadow, Metal Sonic, Blaze, Jet           

Power: Knuckles, Vector, Rouge, Omega, Zavok          

All Around: Amy, Espio, Sticks, Wave, Zazz                  

Skill: Tails, Eggman, Silver, Eggman Nega, Cream   

Hmm. I feel like Silver and Cream will be All Around characters for some reason. The "Skill" type leads me to think "High IQ".

I can't believe they made fucking Espio playable. Ugh.

Now who am I going to complain about not getting in? =(

You can complain about Big :D

I'm really curious to take a look at the Wii U version now. It's still a bit weird that we're not seeing Toad and Toadette playable though.... 

CXTcrI8WYAAVcWg.jpg

CXTcrI9WcAA5ncq.jpg

Yep, best event confirmed. 

Anyway, game's looking alright. Eggman Nega is certainly left-field though... he was in past-games, but playable? Blimey.

• Thumbs Up 2

Huh. Looks like there will be some powerup items, like in the golf section, the end of the club is in the form of the Cyan Wisp Sonic Head. By using it, the ball will head straight to the target!

Pretty cool!

Hmm. I feel like Silver and Cream will be All Around characters for some reason. The "Skill" type leads me to think "High IQ".

Silver isn't up for debate, he's been a skill type for the last three Mario and Sonic games. Skill does tend to be the dumping ground for flight types because many don't fit in with the more athletic categories. 

• Thumbs Up 6

I thought Cream would be an All Arounder.

So you can throw multiple Javelins one time, that is also pretty cool.

I'm more interested in the boxing event. 

In the official site there are no sign of types, so it could possibly mean that there won't be any. The roster of character might just be splitted into Sonic Side and Mario Side

Trying to pilfer stuff off the official site myself.

level_img01.png

It seems you'll find the playable characters in party mode at shops where you can interact and possibly challenge them? Not too sure. 

story_sonic_img04.png

This seems like you can get the characters to interact with each other...maybe.

Uh, the character menu is pretty worrying. It looks like certain characters (aka everyone not Sonic or Mario) are tied to very specific events.  

• Thumbs Up 2

YEAH, Larry and Dry Bowser!

BOO, no Big or Charmy!

But seriously, this actually looks interesting. Might pick it up at some point. If the Mario amiibo unlocks a Gold Mario costume, what will the Sonic one give you? Super Sonic? Boom!Sonic? Also, if you can interact with the characters, I really hope Sticks explains what in the heck she's doing in this alternate dimension!

Trying to pilfer stuff off the official site myself.

level_img01.png

It seems you'll find the playable characters in party mode at shops where you can interact and possibly challenge them? Not too sure. 

story_sonic_img04.png

This seems like you can get the characters to interact with each other...maybe.

Uh, the character menu is pretty worrying. It looks like certain characters (aka everyone not Sonic or Mario) are tied to very specific events.  

It'd be a dumb move to tie specific characters with specific events...I am more than sure that you'll be able to pick up any character you want for each sport

It'd be a dumb move to tie specific characters with specific events...I am more than sure that you'll be able to pick up any character you want for each sport

It would be dumb, but that didn't stop them having a similar thing for the last portable version of the Mario and Sonic series instalment.

• Thumbs Up 2

you mean  figure skating with couples in the Sochi Winter Games? That's for an entirely different (as much as questionable) reason. 

you mean  figure skating with couples in the Sochi Winter Games? That's for an entirely different (as much as questionable) reason. 

No, in London 3DS, characters were divided into teams of four, and every event could only be played with the characters from a specific team.

Very, VERY Nice roster for both Mario and Sonic groups. (My boy Ludwig!)

The Mario roster alone is way better than Mario Kart 8's baby and Mario + Peach clone fest. Now I wonder if they finally will decide what to do with Nega assuming his bio shows up in the game.

• Thumbs Up 3

Maybe you need to beat the specific event to unlock the character?

Or maybe the event represents the characters forte, like shadow wont be that good at golf, but hes gonna be one of the best at 100m?

I just realized this, but Chao are supporting characters in the game. There's a yellow and orange Chao. Wonder what are they for?  Here:

official_thumb_img01_on.png

• Thumbs Up 1

I really love the roster they have for this game. And it really warms my heart that we're gonna be able to play as Omega for the first time in years.

• Thumbs Up 5

ESPIO!

Now I can finally play as him instead of just watching him mark my performance. Sorry Shadow and Metal, but you just got knocked down to secondaries.

From that trailer, I'm really wondering if any such story mode will come from Mii's interacting with the cast from both series and challenging them to events. Haven't played a handheld Mario and Sonic since the first, so I really can't say much else. Looks good though.

Wow, they are really going all out with the new characters... Which is REALLY good if you ask me! I always thought that this series should've added new characters every game if only to "spice" things up for each installment and because both franchises are renown for their immense amount of characters, so it would be a major shame to ignore most of them.

By the way, is it me or is this game going to be 3DS exclusive? All the footage I've seen so far has been for the 3DS...

FUCK YES CREAM IS IN!!! I thought she was going to be neglected again but SEGA proved me wrong, thank the heavens! This "Dark Age" for Cream is steadily disappearing. All she needs now is to be fixed in Runners and appear in Boom. Shame she won't have a athlete clothing like the other female characters do though...

Edited by Kaotic Kanine
  • Thumbs Up 1