Awoo.

Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games

Carbo

So apparently there's a Story Mode in which you (as your Mii) have to choose between Team Mario and Team Sonic. Your choice will determine what events you get to play.

In other words, we're getting a Mario and Sonic version of Fire Emblem Fates. But with sports. And no dragons or fanservice. 

Meaning it's gonna suck.

Source: http://www.gonintendo.com/stories/249385-mario-sonic-at-the-rio-2016-olympic-games-more-3ds-footage-d

• Thumbs Up 5

What about Team Knuckles? :(

Okay, but in all fairness I'm loving the newcomers that they're bringing into the game. Sticks is probably my favourite at the moment and I don't disagree with seeing Zazz and Zavok taking part either (They stood out to me among all the other Zeti in Lost World anyway).

Hopefully the game'll turn out better for me than 2012 did, 2012 for me seemed like just another one of those party games that were oversaturating the Wii at the time. At least 2008 had fun in collecting crowns and unlocking stuff.

At this point, I just hope that the Wii U version will have an even more full-featured Story Mode.

The 3DS version's Story Mode sounds adequate enough, but its use of the Miis is just kinda boringly predictable and even somewhat limiting to me. I just want to see the Mario and Sonic characters actually directly interact with one another again instead of just adding in Miis as main character proxies as an easy way out.

• Thumbs Up 3

Don't know if you noticed, but Charmy is confirmed to be a referee again. I expected the same treatment for Cream and even if I'd have preferred Tikal I'm fine with the choice. In the end they only completed team Dark. out of Babylon, Rose and Chaotix.

Wii U Story Mode? As long as it's entertaining, I'm ok with that

Don't know if you noticed, but Charmy is confirmed to be a referee again. I expected the same treatment for Cream and even if I'd have preferred Tikal I'm fine with the choice. In the end they only completed team Dark. out of Babylon, Rose and Chaotix.

Wii U Story Mode? As long as it's entertaining, I'm ok with that

Cream's playable.

Holy shit. All these new characters and the one I wanted in the most just for some exposure after all these years still doesn't get in. Seriously chose wrong when it came to the characters I liked. If there's ever a lesson to be learned from this is that you always need to assimilate into the popular crowd or be disappointed in "something".

So each veteran is playable in two events each while each of the 20 newcomers are limited to one event only. Finally, after years, enjoy playing as Espio and Omega (in one event that lasts about 30 seconds!)

While this segregation explains the huge roster, it also points towards the Wii U version's fate and the recent silence around it. I can only see one of these scenarios happening:

- The Wii U version has fewer characters than the 3DS version

- There is an incredibly low amount of events

- The Wii U version limits characters to events as well (though not as extreme)

- The Wii U version has been canceled

Eggman Nega is gonna be in this game..

I'm one of the three people who's really happy about this. 8v

Also the new render for him and Rouge both look really awesome. The CG renders look like they're getting bigger steps up in regard to posing and shading.

• Thumbs Up 6

I never ever cared for Charmy, so I rather him than Cream as the referee.

They were both referees in the past games. I don't see much of a reason as to why one had to go and the other had to stay. Just use Omochao for that stuff. It's not like the refs ever talk.

Charmy's...kind of in an unfortunate situation. Not even just from being the least popular of the Chaotix, his character quirk of perpetual hovering is as much a killer for his playability as anything. It was the same with Shadow (where he was the only good assist you couldn't do the 2P trick with), they don't seem to like programming in those who just constantly hover instead of run. Runners got away with it because it's just a basic run you'd have to have anyway, not also ground attacks. throws etc. Maybe they also think it'd be strange for a perpetual floater to be on a bike or horse as well?

• Thumbs Up 1

Charmy's...kind of in an unfortunate situation. Not even just from being the least popular of the Chaotix, his character quirk of perpetual hovering is as much a killer for his playability as anything. It was the same with Shadow (where he was the only good assist you couldn't do the 2P trick with), they don't seem to like programming in those who just constantly hover instead of run. Runners got away with it because it's just a basic run you'd have to have anyway, not also ground attacks. throws etc. Maybe they also think it'd be strange for a perpetual floater to be on a bike or horse as well?

If that's the excuse then fine. I don't like it and I think it's silly to just not have him run but anything would feel better then the truth being that he was just the least popular. So much so that Wave and the two Deadly Six got in over him. I doubt I'd ever get confirmation on that though.

Wait, so characters are event-restricted? Well that sucks...

Only in the 3DS version. London did the same thing.

The Wii U version won't have these restrictions.

Trying to pilfer stuff off the official site myself.

level_img01.png

It seems you'll find the playable characters in party mode at shops where you can interact and possibly challenge them? Not too sure. 

story_sonic_img04.png

This seems like you can get the characters to interact with each other...maybe.

Uh, the character menu is pretty worrying. It looks like certain characters (aka everyone not Sonic or Mario) are tied to very specific events.  

So each veteran is playable in two events each while each of the 20 newcomers are limited to one event only. Finally, after years, enjoy playing as Espio and Omega (in one event that lasts about 30 seconds!)

While this segregation explains the huge roster, it also points towards the Wii U version's fate and the recent silence around it. I can only see one of these scenarios happening:

Or, they Wii-u version is superior and more comprehensive, thus taking longer to develop so they're waiting to stirke and make a big deal of it. 3DS has a larger fanbase and sells itself, but the wii-u needs some attention to shine

Those choices would be way too lame if true. I don't believe they'd cut so much content.

This series is a recycling assets type of game, and this is the third Summer Olympic one. I'm not into programming , but I don't think it is such a hard work to add 20 new characters, although they are not entirely new. Jet, Rouge, Omega, Eggman Nega, Dry Bowser and Dry Bones were almost ready, Cream, Birdo and Espio models were there too, The koopalings are pretty similiar in shape, so they only needed to fully develop Zavok, Zazz, Sticks, Wave, Rosalina (she's a Peach clone though), Nabbit and Diddy. 

For the events they actually use previous assets and improve upon them, adding things and cutting others. The dream events are those which surely need more work. They also already made a previous olympic game on the WiiU, so they got used to the new engine.

That being said, limiting characters to certain events might just be a thing for story mode: when u start a new game and want to play normal events u only have access to the starting roster, while the other 20 are unlocked throughout story mode

Edited by DaN

Well, I am just glad that Espio and Omega are going to be playable in this game. I am really looking forward to playing as Jet the Hawk the most, as he is one of my favorite characters. Now we can finally see what he can do while off the Extreme Gear!

Is it like actually confirmed that the characters are event specific? or is this speculation and assumptions?  

Each character is listed with a specific one or two events (depending on if new or veteran), so that's a pretty big indication.

Maybe you need to beat the specific event to unlock the character?

Or maybe the event represents the characters forte, like shadow wont be that good at golf, but hes gonna be one of the best at 100m?

Ummmm, cant any of these ideas be also true?

First one can't because you can't have two unlocks. Second one doesn't make sense as it'd mean the newcomers didn't have a strength/weakness represented.

So the characters are exclusive to certain events!?!?!? Just when I thought this game series was going to improve... -_-

Though maybe we should wait for more information, specifically official translations, and see if this is completely true first.

But if it is completely true, well, that's majorly disappointing. Hopefully in the game after this they will keep all (well, most) the new characters preferably Cream and make them playable at all times. Just some wishful thinking.