Awoo.

Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games

Carbo

1 hour ago, Kaotic Kanine said:

No prob! While I am admittedly biased in favor of certain characters, I do care for the other characters and I won't stand by any blatant injustice against them. And glad to know that you view Cream as a fifth member of the Main Cast (Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Amy) like I do. Now if only she's actually treated like one more often...

Indeed, I was honestly shocked that Wave and Eggman Nega got to be playable over Charmy. Well, Wave at least has a devoted fanbase but Eggman Nega is one of the most derided and hated Sonic characters. I guess he got in solely because he already existed in the games as a rival so making him playable wasn't hard but still... Though I'm not surprised at all that Zazz and Zavok were made playable given how much SEGA has been trying to "push them" (that and, of the Deadly Six, I think those two are the most liked/least hated).

I'm not saying I view Cream as the fifth member of the main cast. I'm saying that SEGA does sometimes and sometimes they don't. As a result, I never have any reason to worry about her. Me, personally, if I could have them all on the same level I would.

I really don't see the point of having two Zeti there. One is fine but I don't see how two would push what you were trying to do even with them even harder.

Oh... Well, I see what you mean now :lol: And yeah, I too don't see the point in having two Zeti and I too would have everyone playable if in charge. Sadly, we're not in charge...

Anyway, I've just come up with something for all of us to ponder: why certain characters have been designated to certain sports on the 3DS version.For instance:

It appears Nabbit and Diddy Kong are exclusive to 100 Meter Dash- makes perfect sense for both since Nabbit is a thief whom you have to chase down in the games and Diddy is lighter and presumably more agile than Donkey Kong and thus can be considered a fast character.

Sticks in Archery- Also makes good sense; bow and arrows are one of the most primitive weapons and well suited for hunting, fitting for a character who grew up in the jungle.

Amy and Tails in Swimming- Tails is one of the few characters who can swim in Sonic gameplay and Amy has been portrayed as loving to swim before, so it makes sense for both characters.

Cream and Roy in Beach Volleyball- Both make sense and don't make sense for both characters for opposing reasons. Roy is undoubtedly the strongest of the Koopalings, so he can catch and spike the ball very easily, but he also appears to be very heavy and thus wouldn't be able to run to the ball or jump nearly high enough to actually spike the ball. Meanwhile, Cream is able to run fast and jump very high (she's a rabbit and is among the lightest and most aerial characters) but catching and spiking a ball aren't exactly her style (and I'm one of the few people who sees Cream as more powerful than she appears).

Vector in Ping Pong- He can deliver powerful shots?

Rouge in Golfing- Um... No clue

• Thumbs Up 1

100m - Tails, Amy, shadow 

Boxing - Knuckles, zavok, Vector

Volleyball - cream, tails, amy

BMX - Tails, Metal, wave

Soccer - jet, shadow, espio 

Gymnastics - Amy , rouge, blaze

Javelin - Knuckles, Omega, zavok

Long jump - esio, nega, cream

Golf - nega, vector, rouge

Tennis - eggman,zazz,vector

Archery - Silver,stix, espio

Hurdles - eggman, silver, 

Equestrian - stix, eggman, blaze

Just a rough

13 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

The page tells you which characters do what though. :/

I know, I was throwing out an idea on how to give each character equal events. Sucks I can only use Espio in long Jump. Why cant each character have 3 events each?

Nega's kinda a pass/fail kinda character since He's little more than an Eggman reskin, and even has very similar if not identical animations, meaning he's as close as a clone as you get in this sorta game

3 minutes ago, Mando-Whirl-Wind said:

Nega's kinda a pass/fail kinda character since He's little more than an Eggman reskin, and even has very similar if not identical animations, meaning he's as close as a clone as you get in this sorta game

Dry Bowser's in that camp, too. I personally love his design, but I find it odd Nintendo/Sega would choose him over, say, Toadette or another Koopaling.

No, Dry Bowser makes perfect sense and is nigh a shoo-in given how much he's been promoted lately

Spoiler

In 3D Land way back, Mario Kart 8, the last tennis games, Puzzles and Dragons, Mario Party 10 and even Paper Jam Bros. 

Nega is definitely more of the iffy logic, but as a long standing Mario and Sonic showee, it's not that far-fetched in the context of this sub-series. 

• Thumbs Up 1

In the trailer, for the soccer game there are Chao/Wisp hybrids. Are these new? Are these exclusive to the Olympic games? WHat are they?

Whatarethose.PNG

• Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, LucasOne said:

In the trailer, for the soccer game there are Chao/Wisp hybrids. Are these new? Are these exclusive to the Olympic games? WHat are they?

Whatarethose.PNG

Those aren't hybrids. They're just Neutral/Run Chao of different colors.

Can I say that I'm really surprised by the large amount of characters that they added? Like, yay some of my favs have been added to the roster! :D I know I'm late to this but whatever. They really made up for the lack of newcomers in the previous two titles and I'm glad that they finally did it. Although it sucks that they're restricted to specific events, oh well I'll just wait for the Wii-U version.

• Thumbs Up 1

Are they binding certain characters to certain events? Wow, they should be usable in all events like all the other games.

2 minutes ago, SuperAj3 said:

Are they binding certain characters to certain events? Wow, they should be usable in all events like all the other games.

It's happened in handheld versions before, they tend to be lower budget and tighter deadlines

1 minute ago, Mando-Whirl-Wind said:

It's happened in handheld versions before, they tend to be lower budget and tighter deadlines

Oh wow it has? I only ever played the 2008 and 2010 ones, so I'm surprised the DS versions allowed it but not the 3DS versions?

According to the site these are the events for each character:

Spoiler

Mario: All events

Peach: Golf, 100m Freestyle

Luigi: Table Tennis, 110m Hurdle

Daisy: Soccer, Rhythmic Gymnastic Hoops

Birdo: Archery

Bowser Jr: Hop Skip Jump, Equestrian

Bowser: Golf, Boxing

Donkey Kong: Boxing, Beach Volleyball

Yoshi: Soccer, 100m sprint

Wario: Javelin, Archery

Waluigi: Hop Skip Jump, BMX

Diddy Kong: 110m Hurdle

Dry Bones: BMX

Ludwig: Table Tennis

Nabbit: 100m sprint

Rosalina: Rhythmic Gymnastic Hoops

Dry Bowser: Javelin

Roy: Beach Volleyball

Larry: Equestrian

Wendy: 100m Freestyle

Sonic: All events

Tails: 100m Freestyle, Beach Volleyball

Amy: 100m Freestyle, Rhythmic Gymnastic Hoops

Knuckles: Javelin, Boxing

Cream: Beach Volleyball

Vector: Golf, Table Tennis

Espio: Hop Skip Jump

Blaze: Equestrian, Rhythmic Gymnastic Hoops

Metal Sonic: 100m sprint, BMX

Silver: 110m Hurdle, Archery

Shadow: Soccer, 100m sprint

Omega: Javelin

Eggman: 110m Hurdle, Equestrian

Eggman Nega: Hop Skip Jump

Wave: BMX

Sticks: Archery

Jet: Soccer

Zavok: Boxing

Zazz: Table Tennis

Rouge: Golf

• Thumbs Up 1

Forget the thing I suggested we speculate on earlier! I just realized something that is much better to discuss about this game!

I'm really hoping the Wii U version of the game keeps the "Special Victory Animations" for the characters! It's, without a doubt, the best thing introduced in Sochi and definitely gives this series a strong sense of "personality" that we all love. It's also interesting to see what kind of dynamic the character's show with each other (such as "Amy and Blaze" and "Mario and Donkey Kong"). With the huge new addition of characters, we have even more potential dynamics to make "Special Animations" out of (I'm personally hoping for Cream to have one with Amy, Tails, Blaze, Daisy, and perhaps even Rosalina and Nabbit). But, sadly, the huge character roster might actually prevent Nintendo/SEGA from keeping the special animations. I mean, I can't imagine all the crap-ton of work that would need to be done to give over forty characters unique animations that will potentially be rarely seen...

• Thumbs Up 7

Oh wait, I'm mega slow on this.

Uh, thankfully, I do have additional discussion I can throw in; even from Heroes, Charmy seemed to be at a disadvantage compared to his teammates. Like, even though he's just as much as part of the team, he's not treated equally in importance. 

21 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Oh wait, I'm mega slow on this.

Uh, thankfully, I do have additional discussion I can throw in; even from Heroes, Charmy seemed to be at a disadvantage compared to his teammates. Like, even though he's just as much as part of the team, he's not treated equally in importance. 

Seriously. Hes completely missing from both your avatar and sig. 

Just now, RappedinBlacX said:

Seriously. Hes completely missing from both your avatar and sig. 

I don't ship polygamy with a six year old. :/

But seriously, Charmy tends to be distanced from moments in Heroes (like the vs Team Rose fight), he wasn't playable in Shadow in any capacity, he's entirely absent in Sonic Rivals 2, gets sort of the short end of the stick in Generations and is generally considered on the bottom rung. which is a shame, I do really like him. Not as much as the other two, but that's like comparing the best of the store-bought cakes with ones specially commissioned at an outrageous price. 

With the exception of Tails, the flying members of any given team don't get much focus compared to the Speed and/or Power characters.

2 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

With the exception of Tails, the flying members of any given team don't get much focus compared to the Speed and/or Power characters.

Uh, I'd say that's not the case. It's usually the power character that gets the shaft, considering Big and Omega have less focus than their teammates (and to an extent Storm, which is also demonstrated in this game). 

9 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Uh, I'd say that's not the case. It's usually the power character that gets the shaft, considering Big and Omega have less focus than their teammates (and to an extent Storm, which is also demonstrated in this game). 

Eh, I guess its dependent on the team in question then. There's usually always one "third wheel".

1 minute ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Eh, I guess its dependent on the team in question then. There's usually always one "third wheel".

Oh, definitely agree on that matter then. Here's what I make of it;

Team Sonic/Hero - Knuckles, although he still gets more than most of the cast and only goes off the pace because Sonic and Tails are a nigh legendary duo.

Team Dark - Omega, but at least he got in on the fun in Runners recently.

Team Rose - Big, although lately he's been partnered off with another individual moreso (Sonic Colours DS had him and Amy as Aquarium Park's friendly character, Sonic Runners has him and Cream away from Amy in Team Easy). 

Team Chaotix - Charmy. He has no counter-points.

Team Babylon - Storm, but he's arguably the most balanced of the third wheels by having developed dynamics with both his team mates as well (it's basically the one thing I think the Babylon Rogues do better than the other teams; proper balance between all three members). He still got left out here though.

Team...I dunno - Silver and Blaze don't really have a third wheel per se. I guess one could say Marine, but she was a one-shot. Maybe Cream will double up as this in time? Eh. *shrug*

• Thumbs Up 2