Awoo.

Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games

Carbo

Judging by the fact that all we see of Zazz in the video is a one-on-one match, I really don't think he's playable. The Deadly Six seem more like Grade-A candidates for rivals than any of them being individually selected for roster status. I could be proven wrong when more screens and artwork surface, but I just don't see them adding a whopping eight new characters to keep balance compared to an easier four. Great to see one of the Six making another appearance regardless, though, since I quite liked them in Lost World.

Also, YES FINALLY MORE FREAKING CHARACTERS. Every time another of these games got announced with no new additions to the roster, I was consistently disappointed, so it's great to see that they finally decided to expand the selection again. Rouge really should've been there from the start, it's nice to have playable Jet again, Nabbit's a fun surprise, and FREAKING YES, DIDDEH. Bit surprised to not see Rosalina, but I could see her being a boss with her crazy space powers.

Looking forward to more info on this. Hoping there's another fun little 3DS story mode again and the Dream Events stick out more than the ones in the last game. The only ones I really remember from that one were the Sweet Mountain and Figure-Skating events.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think these games would be more fun if the normal stages were a bit less... Realistic? I mean I really like the games but I think it should try to be a bit more unique. Like the way soccer is handled in Mario Strikers Charged. Which is ironic for me to say since the atmosphere itself is pretty realistic, hehe. But like the over the top hissatsu Mega Strikes and stuff. Granted, you can use boosts and stuff like the spindash and whatever already, but it should do a bit more... It's hard for me to put this into words, bear with me.

I don't get why so many think Omega would be a good playayble choice. I already found it strange to have Metal Sonic playable, but Omega would be over doing it. Both are killing machines, which makes it sound odd that the Olympic games would allow weapons to compete with living beings in a series of competitive sports and activities. Instead of making machines playable, why don't they make more likely characters playable, like Wave, Storm, Big, Espio, Cream, Rosalina, Toad, Toadette, K. Rool, Dixie, Tiny, and Lanky Kong? Any of those characters would be more suitable than robots. I don't have anything against Metal Sonic or Omega being playable in any other game, but for olympic games, it's just odd.

The last game I actually played from this series was M&S at the Winter Olympics 2010, since London and Sochi didn't grab me enough to actually want to get them (but I'm glad they exist for the music remixes alone), though I'm pretty interested in this one I have to admit.

In regards to past games, I liked the original enough for what it was, but it felt kinda lifeless sans the Dream Events (which were the highlight), though perhaps London fixed that, and I wouldn't know. The first Winter Olympics I liked as well, though mainly because of the Dream Events again, and of course the soundtrack also was a high point.

Anyways, I like the festive look to this one, being in Rio and all. I'm also glad that there's finally new characters again, adds a lot more variety in the representation and stuff. The normal events shown seem to have just a bit more flair to them, not being the 100% realistic replicas from the past, which is cool to see. Predictably the Dream Events are once again going to be the highlight though, which is more than fine, they're pretty dang fun. The soundtrack I expect to be pretty good as well, since I imagine there will be some pretty nifty remixes, and if the main theme is anything to judge by, some pretty good tracks for the rest of the game as well.

Might actually jump back into the series with this one.

• Thumbs Up 2

What's so "ugh" about making Zazz a possible playable character? Just because you don't care for the thing, doesn't mean that everyone is obligated to not care for it as well. I'm not too fond of Rouge or Blaze, and I sure as sugar ain't complaining about their availability.

Besides, with this sort of game, you don't even have to play as him, so why bother to complain? More character choices are good.

Well, I saw this in the Nintendo Direct today. I will say that if it weren't for the newer characters, I probably would not be interested in this. I like how there are new characters, and I really like how Jet the Hawk himself is going to be playable in this game. Jet is one of my favorites in the Sonic series, which is why I am happy that he is in. I am sure I will be getting this game when it comes out.

Boy, another one of these things.

Do these even sell? Seriously, do they? I think they're dumb. Really dumb. I want these to stop being a thing. Even if they make money. I'd rather that be put into real Sonic games.

I've been hoping they'd announce this, only because of the potential awesome music. I mean from what I heard in the trailer, this could perhaps be some of the most upbeat and fun music of the series!

• Thumbs Up 1

As for Rosalina... even if for some impossible reason she's not in the game, I'm sure there'll be a Mii costume based on her. Plenty of minor Mario and Sonic characters made it into London and Sochi this way, so there's no doubt she'll get some representation either way.

In that case, I'd rather they just drop the Mii support in this game altogether, and just support Amiibo stat boosts on the characters instead. I always felt the Miis were unnecessary, and they took up too much memory which could have been used for more characters, stages, and variations. Why does Nintendo/Sega think we'd rather play as a cosplayer, compared to the actual characters the costumes are themed after? Heck, I'd rather customize the actual character appearances, not the Miis. The Miis have been in enough games. I still think they're the whole reason to blame for a lack of additional content on SSB, because too much of the game's data is focused on being Mii compatible. The game is called Mario & Sonic, not Mario, Sonic, & Miis...

I'll bet the whole reason Rosalina wasn't shown, was because they'd rather wait until E3, so they can see the fans and their reactions to the reveal. Plus, the video didn't reveal new characters, they just so happened to be spotted. Without a doubt, the only ones who can safely be confirmed playable are Rouge, Jet, Diddy, and Nabbit. Each of those 4 characters were either shown in game as a team member for the previous playable characters, or even had a flag of them in the crowd, which implies they are playable competitors. It's hard to say if Zazz is playable, since it could have been a rival challenge, and we didn't see much gameplay of him, compared to the others, nor was there a flag of him. Other than Zazz, I don't think Diddy had a visible flag either, but since he was on a team of previous playable characters in a game of Football, it's safe to assume he's playable. In rival team matches, the non playable rivals would have NPCs as team mates, but Diddy was teamed with Peach, Mario, and Luigi, which heavily suggests he is playable. 

Do these even sell? Seriously, do they? I think they're dumb. Really dumb. I want these to stop being a thing. Even if they make money. I'd rather that be put into real Sonic games.

If they didn't sell, they wouldn't be made.

If you don't want want anymore to be made, vote with your wallet by not buying it. Money speaks louder than words.

Even if they don't sell, the International Olympic Committee pays for these games to be made.

Also I think the only Olympic that didn't do well is Sochi because of dark age of the Wii U console.

Even if they don't sell, the International Olympic Committee pays for these games to be made.

Also I think the only Olympic that didn't do well is Sochi because of dark age of the Wii U console.

They still sell enough to be profitable.

The Wii version of the first sold over 7 million copies, and the DS version sold 4.22 million.

The budgets for these games can't be that big, so the 11 million copies the first ones sold should be enough to cover the rest of the series.

I don't get why so many think Omega would be a good playayble choice. I already found it strange to have Metal Sonic playable, but Omega would be over doing it. Both are killing machines, which makes it sound odd that the Olympic games would allow weapons to compete with living beings in a series of competitive sports and activities. Instead of making machines playable, why don't they make more likely characters playable, like Wave, Storm, Big, Espio, Cream, Rosalina, Toad, Toadette, K. Rool, Dixie, Tiny, and Lanky Kong? Any of those characters would be more suitable than robots. I don't have anything against Metal Sonic or Omega being playable in any other game, but for olympic games, it's just odd.

It's spin-off game. How is it any more odd than the fact that this is a crossover featuring characters like Shadow and Bowser who are flesh and blood killers that can shoot lightning from the fingertips and breathe fire at enemies playing competitive sports? Like that makes no sense in itself how you find robots odd over non-robots.

This is the last place to be applying logic at, dude. Whether or not they're killing machines is completely besides the point of them being playable.

Not gonna lie: the thought of seeing Omega compete in that ribbon event makes me want to see him playable even more than before. There's something inherently hilarious about the borderline-psycho walking army 'bot dancing around like a "pretty windmill."

• Thumbs Up 3

Metal Sonic makes sense since he's an obedient servant who does whatever Eggman tells him.

Rouge being playable doesn't necessarily mean anything for Omega; remember, Team Dark was in Free Riders, but instead of Omega, they had that blue robot who was actually Metal Sonic in disguise.

Should be interesting, and they are finally expanding the roster, hopefully they can add something really special to the gameplay as well

I think they may be staggering out character reveals, but we'll know for sure when the site goes live(most likely at E3). if its more than 4, then it has to be a multiple of four... or perhaps they may finally double the roster, because rival characters are kinda pointless if they work as playable, and there are a lot of worthy characters(would love to see K.Rool, Funky/Tiny, Marine, etc) that would work well

Just uploaded the english trailer of the game:

Huh, I could've sworn I saw Eggman twirl spinning during that 100m dash event!