Awoo.

Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games

Carbo

Huh, I could've sworn I saw Eggman twirl spinning during that 100m dash event!

He did.

I didn't know  he wanted to become a ballerina! XD

So wait a fucking minute, if this thing is coming out, then why the fuck did SEGA need to throw Rise of Lyric out the door then?

.... What does Rise of Lyric have to do with anything? It's a completely separate initiative and always has been regardless of the SegaSonic branch's dealings.

.... What does Rise of Lyric have to do with anything? It's a completely separate initiative and always has been regardless of the SegaSonic branch's dealings.

Well, wasn't that supposedly the reason why Rise of Lyric was on the Wii U? That SEGA needed a third game for the exclusivity deal?

That was part of it, but I doubt it would've mattered much in the long run concerning the game's quality anyway.

Since RoL and SC were probably strictly scheduled for 2014 to coincide with the cartoon premiering, I really don't think it was really an option to just wait for this game. And frankly, this game was always going to be Nintendo-exclusive for obvious reasons. Same with the last M&S, and (most likely, based on multiple factors) Lost World.

I'm also not sure why it  matters since this game isn't really going to be that great anyway, or at the very least won't really appeal to us (that is, fans like "us" in general) in terms of what we really want. Think about it, if the Boom games hadn't happened / had been delayed and this was the last of the "three game deal", people would be just as underwhelmed. Well, maybe a little less disappointed, especially since in this hypothetical scenario RoL doesn't exist, but you get the idea.

Well, wasn't that supposedly the reason why Rise of Lyric was on the Wii U? That SEGA needed a third game for the exclusivity deal?

Rise of Lyric probably would have been released on the Wii U anyway, considering the intended demographic of the game combined with the fact that it was meant to have Shattered Crystal released to coincide with.  I don't think the three-game contract was what influenced Sega's decision to put the game on the Wii U, and it certainly wouldn't have changed the end quality of the game which arose as a result of internal conflicts within the development teams.

I don't usually care for the Olympic titles but hell why not. I haven't gotten one since the very first.

I'm just amazed that they brought this back after the last one didn't do so hot.

Just found out that Rouge and Jet are playable in Rio

...I'm tempted to get this one tbh

Just found out that Rouge and Jet are playable in Rio

...I'm tempted to get this one tbh

Along with Zazz (apparently? Maybe he's a rival...), Diddy Kong, and Nabbit. I definitely think at least Omega and Rosalina are coming, too, maybe even Eggman Nega will finally be playable (since he's been a rival the same number of times as Omega, Rouge, and Jet).

I can see them still being rivals since they are just copies of eggman and bowser.

Either way it'd be funny to see dry bowser do some ribbon dancing lol. But its better to have them rivals along with birdo, kamek, bullet bill, boo, omega, and other ones I don't remember.

Still hoping for rosalina though.

If they add Eggman Nega, they might as well add Dry Bowser too.

Oh yeah, pretty much. I'm just talking about the Sonic ones specifically.

I can see them still being rivals since they are just copies of eggman and bowser.

Either way it'd be funny to see dry bowser do some ribbon dancing lol. But its better to have them rivals along with birdo, kamek, bullet bill, boo, omega, and other ones I don't remember.

Still hoping for rosalina though.

Frankly I think Omega would probably be promoted to playable. Eggman Nega is 50/50. It depends on multiple factors.

One possible factor is, since they ARE so similar, maybe they can just have Eggman Nega and Dry Bowser model swaps of Eggman and Bowser, respectively, but otherwise have the same stats.

The exclusivity contract meant that from that point on, the next three Sonic games would need to be Nintendo exclusives. Boom was aimed at Christmas last year. This game is completely irrelevant to it- for THIS to be the last game in the exclusivity contract, it'd have meant the whole Boom initiative in 2016 or 2017.

I wouldn't mind omega, he might actually be hilarious to see in most of these events. Ribbon dancing of course lol.

This makes me wanna play London again and watch every character ribbon dance XD

But please don't bring back horse back riding or whatever its called. That was too boring. I liked the dream event though.

There is literally no point in adding Eggman 2.0. to the roster, aside from lazyness on the developers' part.

I wouldn't be surprised if we got zavok as rival while zazz is playable. I would like that actually. Have eggman mega, possibly omega and zavok.

Oh yea, if they make dream soccer, just make it Mario strikers style lol cause that will be cool XD never gonna happen.

Same announcement trailer, but atleast you get to listen to that sweet Rio remix of the main theme now 

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't usually care for the Olympic titles but hell why not. I haven't gotten one since the very first.I'm just amazed that they brought this back after the last one didn't do so hot.

The International Olympic Committee are mainly the ones who commissioned Sega to make a new title. Even if the last one bombed, they have sold tons of copies of the first three games that I doubt it going to end anytime soon.

The International Olympic Committee are mainly the ones who commissioned Sega to make a new title. Even if the last one bombed, they have sold tons of copies of the first three games that I doubt it going to end anytime soon.

Not to mention that the last one only "bombed" because it didn't have a handheld counterpart was exclusive to Wii U.

Now, Wii U sales have picked up, and there's also a handheld version, so I'm sure this will do better than the last one.

Not to mention that the last one only "bombed" because it didn't have a handheld counterpart was exclusive to Wii U.

Now, Wii U sales have picked up, and there's also a handheld version, so I'm sure this will do better than the last one.

And they actually added new characters. That might not help hugely, but it still may help a bit.

That kind of amuses me.

I know SEGA has the exclusive rights to make games based off the Olympics, so the idea the IOC needs to commission them is odd. It'd make more sense to say, "No game, no license."