Awoo.

Who is your favourite Sonic artist?

Osmium

My favourite would have to Naoto Oshima. I know that's the most obvious choice but I can't help it! 

Sonicguide6.jpg

Greg Martin is another guy that I like. He was an american box artist for SEGA, and did a lot of the early American Sonic art. Even though Americlassic Sonic is pretty ugly, I still like a lot of the art. 

tumblr_mz09toWslO1rmgx7ro1_1280.jpg

fTpMj0Z.jpg

A lot of his earlier art had the infamous Mohawk, but the interesting thing is that his later drawings didn't have the raised spines at all. I think either he improved, or he always wanted to draw Sonic like this but SEGA wouldn't let him at first. 

tumblr_nhwb2iE4ip1u7mqwro1_1280.jpg

GregMartinSonicSketch005_zps7c828b0c.jpg

It's not anywhere near Naoto Oshima but I like Greg's art a lot. 

Of course I have to mention Yuji Uekawa who did the Adventure art, even though I like his Adventure 1 art a lot more than Adventure 2. 

art_sonicsa7.png

Okay, now for comics. 

Ferran Rodriguez from Sonic The Comic's early days is one of my favourite artists of any Sonic comic. 

06.jpg

His art was very close to Naoto Oshima, and I like that. 

I like Richard Elson's earlier art. And when I mean earlier, I love everything from Issue 7-53, and only think everything past that is okay. 

I like his art from the earlier parts of the comic before everything started to get all gritty and dark. 

ERMLduX.png

I also like the dude who drew the Sonic 1 manga. Sorry, I have absolutely no clue who drew that manga. 

cdvb_017d.jpg

They look like Naoto Oshima's art. (Obviously, since it's Japanese and the only Sonic art at the time was Naoto Oshima's) 

Those are just mine. You can tell that I like classic Sonic art more, and I like it when artist make Sonic look like Naoto Oshima's art. But I do like Modern Sonic too. 

Who are your favourite Sonic artists? From comics, games, box art...anywhere!

• Thumbs Up 4

Greg Martin is another guy that I like. He was an american box artist for SEGA, and did a lot of the early American Sonic art. Even though Americlassic Sonic is pretty ugly, I still like a lot of the art. 

Excuse me but DON'T SPEAK SHIT ABOUT AMERICAN CLASSIC SONIC. Also I really like Patrick Spaziante's work in the Archie Comics but I don't really like his Dr. Robotnik and I don't belive I have seen his Dr. Eggman

Loved Tracy Yardley's work, but Ben Bates just edges in front of him.  The guy is ultra talented.  I thought he couldn't top his Countdown to Chaos collage, but he did and then some with the newest Worlds Unite poster.  Flipping brilliant that would make the perfect box art if a game were made.  However, I think Diana Skelly wins it for me.  She brought a new brand of cartoonish genius to the comic book and I can't wait to see what she does next.

• Thumbs Up 4

Loved Tracy Yardley's work, but Ben Bates just edges in front of him.  The guy is ultra talented.  I thought he couldn't top his Countdown to Chaos collage, but he did and then some with the newest Worlds Unite poster.  Flipping brilliant that would make the perfect box art if a game were made.  However, I think Diana Skelly wins it for me.  She brought a new brand of cartoonish genius to the comic book and I can't wait to see what she does next.

i totally agree! this represents what kind of Sonic archie comics artist i like   °3°b

i also like Spaz style...

speccially his covers for the Sonic archive series and Sonic Select series

speaking of official media..

apart from Uekawa..

i really liked Judy totoya style ^_^

35mp5ia.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Reseinn (DeviantART,Pixiv,Twitter,Twitpic) for sure. I swear she sold her soul to the devil for her powers.

I warn you her art isn't always strictly platonic in nature, fanart included,nothing graphic as far as I can tell, but highly suggestive; probably still NSFW. If you want to avoid that as much as possible then stick to her DeviantART.

photo_oppotunity__by_raseinn-d5xvghy.png

• Thumbs Up 4

AaczBdY.png

Jesus, look at that face. I think the rest of the art is okay, but there's something seriously wrong with this panel.

Otherwise...

gif_by_aoki6311-d6m89z0.gif

I think aoki's Sonic art is pretty great. Not the weird shippy stuff, but the normal art. That's the kind of art I'd want to see in a new Sonic anime.

Debbieatingtarts:http://aoki6311.deviantart.com/gallery/47102587/Sonic-pic

• Thumbs Up 2

I've grown very fond of the art of Sango Morimoto and their overall art quirks. 

Sonic_Manga_cast.jpg

The intro to the Sonic Manga is nice, but it's the later stories by Sango that caught my attention more. 

Sbook46.png

Something about Morimoto's art is incredibly true to the Sega Sonic art style yet adheres to a more cartoony take of the character that was more inline with something you'd see out of the Sega of America's Sonic the Hedgehog incarnations. There's something very Disneyesque in the art style with a lot of exaggerated and bouncy linework and expression and I really adore it. I particularly like their proto designs for Amy (Eimi) and Charmy and feel that something was lost from the transition from Manga to Segafication. 

I also feel that a lot of really spiffy work has been coming out of the more recent issues of the Archie Comics, part in due to the more recent influx of Fans Turned Pro Artists in the turn for the larger Genesis Wave Mk. II turn of the comics. It's been nice to see Diana Skelly, Evan Stanley, and Tyson Hesse do new Sonic art that's available in book formatting. 

Screenshot_2015-01-24-13-21-39-Edited-1-

(Congrats on making Metal Sonic menacing again, by the way, Diana!) 

Several of the artists have shown an efficiency at framing each panel to be its own work of art and utilizing perspective to their needs and it's been a really refreshing time to read a Sonic comic and be able to marvel at the art quality. 

StH_265_Thunderbolt.jpg

(Thanks for introducing the best new Sonic character, too)

Across the pond, I've always been highly fascinated with Sonic the Comic's array of artists and bizarre story concepts that somehow manage to be far more colourful and eccentrically game oriented than what we got here in the States. Richard Elson tended to get pretty crazy with very faithful representations of the characters from a design aspect and still managed to do some fairly interesting work. 

STC53-Chaotix.jpg

(As seen above, Elson doing a much better job with a Knuckles story than Ken Penders ever dreamed of doing)

fleetw10.jpg

(Again, more fantastic Knuckles work) 

150041-139783-shortfuse-the-cybern.png

(Ah, Cyberniks, if only Sega allows Archie to make more use of you)

STC72-Metallix.jpg

(Sonic: Age of Metallix, Coming to Theatres, Summer 2016) 

Also, in regards to Richard Elson, he's been doing a lot of Marvel work. That's interesting considering some of the other artists who've done Sonic Comic work, Terry Austin, Stephen Butler, and even Ron Lim, were also known for Marvel work. Now, um, when do we get to see Sonic and the Freedom Fighters meet the Avengers? Eh? Ehhhh? 

Several artists have lent a lot of fairly interesting and unique galleria of what defines the artwork of this series and it's been really neat to see what more could possibly be done with Sonic. At least one thing can be said for all of the offshoots there've been, at least they were all fairly interesting takes on a singular concept each with their own qualities to stand on. 

• Thumbs Up 4

I wasn't speaking shit about it. I just think it's kind of ugly. I even said that Greg Martin improved. 

I know I'm just foolin' I do that a lot. Personally I think the Classic Sonic American stuff looks better than the Japanese Classic Sonic stuff. I think that this

Sonic_11.png

looks better than this

SSS_SONIC29.png

Plus Japanese Sonic was going to have fangs. If y'all hated the Wherehog imagine Sonic having fangs forever

Probably Fini-mun off tumblr. Not only do I dig her tumblr, I like her ask blog as well.

tumblr_nnu8hfZqFk1s5rgpro1_500.png

tumblr_nnu8hfZqFk1s5rgpro2_500.png

• Thumbs Up 4

I have quite a few.

First off, Naoto Oshima for Classic Sonic. The little guy looks so cute and expressive in his style, yet at the same time ready for action.

tumblr_lvco31PCmL1qdtw9eo1_500.png

For modern Sonic, and my overall favorite Sonic artist, there's Yuji Ueka. I love the style he gives the characters - it really gives the series a sense of distinctness and you can tell a Sonic character over say, some other generic animal mascot series. The designs look really appealing.

jap_sa2_manual_p29_sonic01.png

As far as the comics go, I really like Spaz's work. His covers have almost always looked amazing.

whats-next-for-mega-man-and-sonic-comics

• Thumbs Up 2

• 11 months later...

For someone who's quite talented when it comes to 3-D Artwork, Nibroc-Rock never fails to impress me.

sonic_character_select_ultimate_edition_

This would've been a perfect idea for a spiritual sequel to "Sonic the Fighters".

• Thumbs Up 3

Have to say Yuji Uekawa - having spent many hours playing Sonic Adventure on the Dreamcast as a kid, this boxart still brings back memories and good feelings.

170-1.jpg

The fact that he does that pose in Generations at the end of trick combos made me ridiculously happy.

art_sonicsa7.png

He just looks so fucking cool :D

The shoutouts to STC's art upthread are also super appreciated, that was one great looking comic. Will need to hunt those down at some point...

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Hyp3hat said:

The shoutouts to STC's art upthread are also super appreciated, that was one great looking comic. Will need to hunt those down at some point...

Richard Elson's art was absolutely exceptional. I still think he's one of the if not best official comic book artists to draw Sonic in all his glory. 

I have a few, but it's mostly from the comics perspective...

But first I like Yuji's artwork. It's mainly because of the poses.

I also like the artwork that's in Sonic Channel. (Not sure who does it again...)

Now from the comics perspective, I like the artworks of Yardley, Spaz and more recently, Diana Skelly, mainly because of the expressions, Evan Stanley, Jennifer's work makes characters like Sally and Bunnie look good... and Adam Thomas' pencils are really great.

When it comes to 3D, it's Nibro Rock, and Rafa Knight. Rafa Knight in particular since those models are what make the covers stand out a LOT.

And for fan art, I like Auroblaze's artwork. not only the characters are pencilled really well and those expressions, but the colors look almost perfect along with the drawing!

Then there's @Drawloverlala's art, and it's the redesigns that are grand, (The Sonic Skyline section is really cute!)

• Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, Fusion Zebra said:

Then there's @Drawloverlala's art, and it's the redesigns that are grand, (The Sonic Skyline section is really cute!)

PcsNHck.gif ohhh aww thank you~ >//u//<

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...