Awoo.

Dr. Crusher Presents: The 30 Days of Sonic the Hedgehog Mk.II (Daft and Tolerating It)-PAGE 72, FIN

Dr. Crusher

Question #8: Which generally disliked games do you like regardless?

Heh...heheheh...hahahahahahAHAHA-

Sonic 4, obviously.

Also fucking Rise of Lyric.

But actually not really? That's the worst part about it, I guess. I know I always act like a dipshit about it, but not acting like a dipshit is harder than it sounds, and plenty of people here can vouch for me in this regard, whether they know it or not. The worst part is that I don't love RoL, I only like it to a point even. I know it's got some shit contained in it, in a lot of places. But I'm constantly defending it because people waaaaaaaay overstate the amount of aforementioned shit, to the point where it's compared with Sonic 06. I think it has too much going for it to be that. I think it might be me caring less about whether it's something I want and more about if it's done right, but I never felt genuinely annoyed by any core aspect of the game. Yeah the framerate used to suck and the game is jerky, but the way I see it, that's a price I can pay when the rest of the game is at least average. I don't have a problem with the combat, because there's enough of a platforming ratio to balance it out, along with fights never really taking that long. I think the music is the best way to identify the game, actually. It's nothing new, certainly nothing particularly interesting or spectacular, and people will shit on it, but when you're actually playing the damn thing, there's nothing particularly wrong with it.

So there. It's a functional game that isn't great but that everyone overreacts to. I think I'll just go play Xenoverse or something

Question 8! Game I like that is generally hated!

SA2 is still one of my favourite Sonic games ever. Yes, better than SA1 and no it doesn't deserve the random hate it's been getting since a few years ago. =I

Yes it has flaws, many flaws. BUT I love everything else! I love the characters, the music, treasure hunting stages, the graphics were great for its time and the story is dark, but done WELL! The ending itself is so touching (a rare thing in Sonic games nowadays!) and after watching my boyfriend play through the game recently, I actually got teary eyed at this moment. To me, this ending is almost like a farewell to the great Sega, a Sega that was once one of the most important figures in videogames now brought down to a third party developer. It's the Dreamcast's swan song, maybe even a swan song for the company itself.

As for a more hated Sonic game that I like...probably Sonic R. It's a guilty pleasure, shush.

• Thumbs Up 4

Day 8: Generally Disliked Games you Like

Sonic Unleashed

Now, there are other games that can fill the space for me in his regard but I think this is the game to choose for this particular question.

Sonic Unleashed is a game that sways wildly back and forth with how it is received. It really does seem to be a game that people either really like or really hate. I fall into the former category. 

It's hard to explain really but the game just hits all the right notes for me. I mean I find the gameplay fun and the story would be the last one we'd see on such a scale to date and the presentation is excellent. 

My liking of the game goes deeper than that though. The game's atmosphere is something that no other game has managed in the same way for me. I honestly spent time just wandering around the hub worlds, enjoying the scenery and talking to the various NPCs. Everything is so alive in Sonic Unleashed and you really do feel like you're part of a living breathing world. 

I went for 100% completion on the game and when I eventually did it, I actually had a sad feeling that this massive adventure I'd been on was at an end. 

I'll need to try and make it one of my games for the 52 game challenge. It definitely deserves a slot.

• Thumbs Up 1

HD Unleashed comes to mind.

One of the best examples in the series if there ever was one of the sort of zeal Sonic Team are capable of investing in their games.

Practically everything about this game oozes with honest to god effort. It may have been effort to realize some questionable ideas and design concepts but I'll even admit that whilst some results were....meh I nevertheless have some measure of respect for a studio that wanted to realize it's own ideas no matter what they might have anticipated the reception of them to be.

Unleashed has that aura about it, that aura of the former Sonic Team that was eager to...really push the boat out for example in terms of creating the means to realize the artistic direction they had such as developing the Hedgehog Engine to allow for the the global illumination that would facilitate their vision of having Sonic look like he belongs in the environments that they wanted to create.

I love the day stages. I have a fondness for the night stages and think that they're nowhere near as flat and repetitive as they're made out to be. It along with Black Knight was amongst the last instances of this series' storytelling having interesting meaning to it with it's themes and was the last game to have wonderful Sonic characterization. Facets of the world such as it's inhabitants (The NPC's) and the things in it (Souvenirs, country flags, enemies) were flehed-out to a highly endearing degree that really exemplified the amount of creativity Sonic Team had, the sort of lore and detail they're capable of investing in even the minutiae of a Sonic game.

Just....wow.

HD Unleashed is highly underrated. It deserves to be heralded, given props for the things that it succeeded in. And it still remains my absolute favorite game in the series.

• Thumbs Up 9

I don't have a whole hell of a lot of time, so I'm going to keep this relatively short. But I have one game in mind that I absolutely adore, despite general fan thoughts.

Day 8: Which Generally Disliked Games Do You Like?

Sonic_and_the_Black_Knight_Cover.jpg

I don't give a shit what anyone says, this game is awesome. Yes, the sword-fighting mechanic can get a bit repetitive, but I love the concept of it. The world of Camelot is incredible and I love all the different locations you visit throughout the game. Merlina is an intriguing villain and the storyline is among my favorite in the series.

But what I really love is Sonic's characterization. Black Knight bears what I consider to be the prime example of how Sonic should be written. If I had more time, I'd ramble on and on about his portrayal. Very much on point and it's a shame we haven't seen anything of this level for characterization for Sonic since.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic games that I like that are generally viewed negatively? Oh boooooyyyyy. I'm gonna limit this to a Top 5 or else I'd be writing for hours. XD

Starting things off with my favorite Sonic game!

2ecj4w0.jpg

Sonic & the Black Knight

I absolutely adore this game. A mix of Sonic-style speedy action and Arthurian lore with a soundtrack by Jun Senoue that has MULTIPLE vocal tracks by Crush 40? It's like my freaking DREAM game! I had a lot of fun with the regular gameplay (I know it's very linear, but the different set pieces and sections give each stage its own feel and soul surging perfect slashes in a row is SUPER addictive), the Knight boss fights are enjoyable and unique, the story is one of my favorites ever presented by this franchise with dead-on characterization for Sonic that plays off of all the other characters well and naturally, the previously-mentioned soundtrack is glorious, GLORIOUS rock, there's a nice bit of challenge to unlocking every extra bit (Just enough to frustrate, but not enough to make you quit and it feels really satisfying to finally succeed), and IT HAS MULTIPLE COMPLETELY OPTIONAL PLAYABLE CHARACTERS THAT ALL HAVE UNIQUE SKILLS FROM SONIC, BUT DON'T ALTER THE CORE GAMEPLAY IN ANY MAJOR WAY! Yeah. I feel like that last bit deserves to be brought up more than it usually is. They had the PERFECT gateway to attempting a multiple-character system again in the main games, but what do they end up doing? Making Sonic a solo act. Such a sad waste of potential. The only things that never really clicked with me in this game were the followers (Felt like it was kind of a needless system) and the multiplayer. (I prefer the Mario Party-style stuff from Secret Rings.) Aside from those points, though, this is a title that I'll ALWAYS defend.

Moving on to my former favorite Sonic game...

1076hdy.jpg

Sonic Heroes

Yep, this used to be my favorite Sonic game and favorite GAME in general back in middle school. Despite eventually realizing that better titles usurped both positions easily, I still really enjoy this game. I like how vibrant and colorful it is, the team-based gameplay was interesting, the music was great, the stages were varied with cool tropes, and I loved how many characters it utilized, introduced, or reintroduced. Sure, the story is super cheesy, but I kinda dig how comparatively innocent it is after the more dramatic SA2. I can get why Heroes wouldn't be someone's cup of tea, but I certainly don't see it how it could be classified as anything close to bad.

Next up...

23hvq75.jpg

Sonic Unleashed

Again, I can see why this game wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea. The Sonic gameplay is VERY different compared to the previous 2D AND 3D styles, the Werehog gameplay deviates from the standard formula quite a bit, and the Sun/Moon medal collecting to access all of the levels is annoying (I wouldn't be lying when I say that I actually put down the game for quite a while after I hit a medal roadblock just because I couldn't be bothered searching for them). However, looking past that, I had an absolute blast with it. It has gorgeous graphics (Quite a far cry from the last main Sonic game that "attempted" HD), the music is phenomenal, the story is fun and light-hearted, the overworlds and NPC quests were a HUUUUUUGE step above 06's, the bosses were cool, and I just enjoyed the overall gameplay. Yep, even the Werehog levels. The daytime levels really gave you a sense of speed that you never felt before in a Sonic game and I absolutely loved that feeling. Just rushing through Apotos without a care in the world to see if I could top my best time. LOVED it. The nighttime stages weren't the greatest, but I think they act as a nice little break in-between the faster-paced Sonic ones. (With the best ones being the ones that primarily focused on platforming.) It's almost like they split the speed and platforming elements of a typical Sonic game into two separate level types and added in some beat-em-up for good measure. A lot would argue that from that mindset, a good Sonic game is not made, but I'm too busy blasting through robots to care. XD

Number 4...

11b4uh5.jpg

Sonic Lost World (Wii U)

Here's another one with a new style, only more recent. I wouldn't call this one of my all-time faves, but upon playing it through, I never really understood the hate. Sure, some of Sonic's new moves and the unique level structures can be a tad confusing (I know it took me a while to get used to the parkour), but I thought it was a really fun experiment. The graphics and artstyle are colorful and pleasing to the eye, the music's pretty good, the story is easily my favorite out of the Modern age of Sonic from Colors onward with the Deadly Six being charming, different antagonists compared to all of the largely similar giant monsters from previous games, and the core gameplay was a fun spin on the usual Sonic formula with just enough new to feel unique. After finishing it, I failed to see anything significantly bad or wrong with it. Just seemed like a pretty good Sonic game to me. (Now the 3DS version on the other hand...I GET the hate for that.)

Finally...

nc01m8.jpg

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric

Yep. That one. I'm not saying it's great or even a good Sonic game or anything, but...I had fun with it. I liked exploring every new area, I liked the banter between the characters (Though having them say something about EVERYTHING was a tad much), I thought the different powers and combat were fun, the on-the-fly character switching was neat, and I didn't think the story was that bad. (Granted, Shadow had literally no reason to be here and it feels like Sega just requested him to be stuffed in wherever in the middle of development, but aside from that, I thought the plot was fine.) It's certainly unpolished (And then some), but I never ran into any game-breaking stuff and I'd definitely say that if given the chance, I'd rather play THIS game fully polished than something like 06 where a lot of the ideas themselves were terrible to begin with. I dunno. I had fun with my time. I could definitely see why A LOT of people would deem it one of the worst things to come out of the franchise since as a whole, it's very UN-Sonic-y, but...I had some fun playing it. That's pretty much it. XD

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 6: What is the single most hilarious thing to come out of the entirety of Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 for you?

The voice acting, either when it's hilariously bad (such as Silver) or when the VAs actually tried but it is incredibly inappropriate due to the tone of the game, like Eggman.

Day 7: Which character(s) do you think would have the easiest time adjusting to the real world?

Eggman due to being the only human, well in recent games at least. He'd be able to fit in with other's quite easily, although his ego might not fit. That and he grew up on Earth with Gerald and Maria so he'd know how to act socially at least.

Animal wise I'd say Tails, he'd be able to help a lot of people with his inventions and he's smart enough to easily adapt to new surroundings.

This should be fun.

Sonic Adventure 2/Sonic Heroes

Both games represent the two things I used to love about the series, the former has an in-depth story and gives great reasons as to why you are in these levels and where you need to go. I absolutely love the Speed levels and I don't mind the treasure hunting ones either, bar Mad Space. The only gameplay style I don't really like, nor do I particularly hate, is the mech stages. They just bore me.

Sonic Heroes on the other hand has amazing level tropes and the colours used are vivid and beautiful, the music is great and it feels like a 2D Sonic game in 3D aesthetically. I also like all the references to the two SA games, it helped make the series feel far more connected and is something that they should've done in Sonic Generations.

The team based gameplay works perfectly fine for me and the only real flaws I could give it are the characters are incredibly slippery and having to beat each Team's story to get to the Final Story.

• Thumbs Up 1

Question 8:

Sonic riders zero gravity

The first sonic riders was an absolute blast when playing it and it was very exciting to see it get a sequel which is Zero gravity.

When trying out zero gravity it was a bit of a disappointment at least compared to the first one. But this game still has its fun moments.

My memory is a bit low on this game but I knew it was still an enjoyable game. The gimmick in this game was defying gravity and being able to get to certain routes that require the use of gravity and IMO it was handled well.

But I think why most people didn't like this one because it was pretty much a slower version of the first riders game. In the first one you were able to boost yourself as long as you had air in your extreme gear and as you race you gotta keep finding ways to keep your air up so you can continue to boost. Using the boost allows you to attack other racers to slow them down. Sadly this gimmick was not in zero gravity.

I still managed to enjoy this game though, the gimmicks worked really well in the race tracks and it all felt good using the gravity to boost you forward or keep your pace like using it to make sharp turns without loosing great amount of speed (although I prefer the old way to make sharp turns in riders 1), flying through large areas with gravity to really get ahead.

The story in this one was really interesting, much better than the first riders I'd say, it made me like jet the hawk even more as a character, can't really say the same with wave and storm.

At the time I was hoping there would be a sequel and.......

We got one and it sucked. Free riders probably would of been a good game if we were actually allowed to use a controller.

Day 8: Which generally disliked games do you like regardless?

Sonic and the Secret Rings

zvejB6g.gif?1

Say what you want about the controls and anything else but it has several others things going for it I deem to be very enjoyable. In fact, this is my favorite Sonic spin-off game and one of my favorite Sonic games overall.

First is the story. I'm sure everyone is familiar with the plot involving the awesome theme of the Arabian Nights already, so I won't get into that. In stark contrast to the other Sonic games at the time, SatSR has a more balanced story with its funny moments at times, as well as some serious and rather dark moments and definitely some conflicts within some of the characters themselves and even among each other. What particularly sticks out for me that SatSR not only handled the relationship between Sonic and Shahra well but it also provided a unique insight on Sonic himself. I personally think SatSR has the best story in the entire series.

Briefly mentioning a few things...starting off with the gorgeous levels full of details...It's even got a level with dinosaurs in it! And then there's the music, and the cameos of other Sonic characters-with a twist! Several Sonic series characters appear in the form of characters from Arabian Nights, such as Tails as Ali Baba, Knuckles as Sinbad the Sailor, and Dr. Eggman as Shahryār. I found that concept to be very creative as well as exciting. I really liked how characters of the Sonic cast played a role in the story; even if it was a totally indirect sense. And I find the Party Mode to be a lot of fun. My 7 year old niece and 8 and 10 years old nephews and I always have a blast for HOURS playing the Party Mode of SatSR with 40 mini-games to choose from :P

Finally there is Sonic's characterization, which I feel his characterization in SatSR is one of the best portrayals of the character out there. Especially with is constant display of selflessness-all while he was suffering and in pain. Sonic's characterization in SatSR never ceases to amaze me. And that ending...it's my favorite moment due to being full of characterization of Sonic being bold, cocky and confident and ruthless in his dealings with Erazor Djinn to finish him off after he harassed and tortured both Sonic and Shahra in "revenge-like" fashion, only to quickly adjust to tend to a grieving Shahra with kindness, sympathy, and compassion-all in the same cutscene. I just love it! :)

Sonic Lost World

XZD0ebY.jpg?1

This is definitely a game I feel that the amount of flak it gets is excessive and unwarranted. I still like it despite its issues. I commend Sonic Team for actually trying something different with the gameplay, even though they didn't implement it correctly. I liked the level design and a good number of tracks, and I loved how the game gave us Special Stages again along with an assortment of nostalgic references to past games such as the spin dash and enemies, for example. I feel the levels have an art style that is bright, colorful, unique and very detailed. Speaking of Special Stages, I loved little details such as Sonic bowing at the end of the Special Stages:

I also liked how some of Sonic's flaws were exposed too due to his impulsiveness in the story among other things. Above all I really loved the interactions between Sonic, Tails and Dr. Eggman:

That was really great to see as that had been something I’ve been longing to see in a Sonic game for quite a while.

Oh and the DLC was interesting and pretty cool too as well as cute seeing Sonic in different franchises. Not to mention my current avatar as it comes straight from Sonic Lost World so that ought to tell you that I like the game  :P

Seriously I could go on and on about why I liked Sonic Lost World. The game's issues and difficulties aside, I really did enjoy this game for these reasons that I mentioned in detail here plus a lot more :)

Briefly (as I'm at work writing all of this on my phone nevertheless!; not to mention I have written way too much at this point), I’d like to mention:

Sonic '06

f2KDcWK.jpg?1

Despite its major flaws (no need to discuss them as we all know what they are), I like this video game as I find it entertaining among other things. It just boggles my mind when I see the game described as the worst video game ever made as if it doesn't have a single positive thing involved with it. Sure the game is bad but it has plenty of things that I actually like about it and therefore I like the game. Things such as the team/duo aspects, additional playable characters aside from Sonic himself (which we haven't gotten in a main series since then), the music, the character interaction, characterization, the emotional moments with some of the characters, the beautiful touching ending IMO...Not to mention the game gives us TONS of unintentional humor, which in itself is priceless. And I like Silver too as I definitely feel that all the hate and mockery he gets is totally unfair.

Sonic Unleashed

SKxVcGz.jpg?1

I wasn't sure if Sonic Unleashed falls under the category of being generally disliked but I guess I'll briefly mention it. What I DO know is that it is to me overall it was a fun and satisfying experience from beginning to end with that epic opening, different forms of gameplay, stunning level design and art style, balance (not perfect by any means) story with seriousness and humor, great music, challenges, good characterization of Sonic, extras, replayability, almost an hour's worth of cutscenes in gorgeous CGI and Sonic's Team dedication and ambition was very obvious in the making of this game despite its flaws. It actually feels wrong to condense all that I love about my favorite video game of all time in just a single paragraph but you know, lack of time  :(

I just love that this game gives you so much to do and I definitely feel as if that I got my money's worth out of this game and then some due to all of its content, dedication and effort that was involved with plenty to do and plenty to enjoy even amid it's issues and it is definitely my favorite :)

• Thumbs Up 6

Question #5: What sort of unseen or unrecognized interpretations/traits do you like to imagine for certain characters?I.E.Headcanons

Hmmm, well I like to believe that Eggman, upon escaping the White space from Geenrations, immediately stumbled upon the Lost World, and thus, that is how he found the Deadly Six. I also like to imagine that he missed Orbot and Cubot so much that he made exact duplicates down to every fiber and fault the originals that he left in space in between Colors and Generations.

I legitimately keep forgetting that Unleashed is a hated game. Quite frankly, I love it. Well the majority of it. Werehog is meh for me. Nothing too bad, nothing too good. Other than that, the graphics are beautiful, the daytime gameplay is amazing, and the story is a great deal of fun.

~SSMB Has Cleared Underdog Ubique Act 8!~

"How can I make you understand? Attacking other countries, stealing, and killing... can't be the right path to peace. No one has the right to take their holy grounds. I beg you, Father!" - Freder Fredersen, Sonic Adventure (1927)

Question #9: What's your absolute favourite portrayal of your top favourite character?

movies_batman_rise_6.jpg

"You can laugh at the voishe all you want, it's shtill the besht role I've had in yearsh."

Do you have a favourite character over the rest? Of course you do, maybe. Is it Sonic? Is it Tails? Is it Shadow? Knuckles? Blaze? Espio? Amy? Mushmeanie? Whoever it is, they've probably been in more than one game, and given how vast the franchise is, they've had a wide selection of portrayals over the years, in the games and out of the games. So sometimes Amy's a little more chilled out with her Sonic admiration, sometimes Knuckles is very much chuckling in spite of the allegations that he's not a fan of that, and sometimes Shadow is played by Antonio Banderas. And that's just the start of it. But the opinions on said portrayals reach an even wider length than the portrayals themselves do, each fan having their own personal selection of favourites by default usually. But when it comes to that one lone example at the very tippy top of your own personal Favourite Portrayals Eiffel Tower (you have one of those, right?), which one would that be for you, exactly?

Crusher's Thoughts: I'd like to just say "the games' version of Robotnik" and be done with it, but that's a little too easy, and it probably counts as cheating as well I suppose. Sooooo, I'll go a little deeper. Trouble is, it's actually currently a three way tie between Robotnik's portrayals in Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Sonic Adventure 1, and the modern games in general. However, because I don't think I've discussed my reasons for the first option that often compared to my reasons for the latter two, I think I'll go with that one for the purposes of answering this question.

So you might think that this is a bit of an odd choice seeing how Sonic 3 & Knuckles is a classic game made in 1994 with no dialogue whatsoever. Well the thing is, because this game is a little more story-driven compared to Sonic 1 and 2, in the sense that we have more cutscenes and so on, it adds a lot more to the imagination picture as it were, and in the case of the central antagonist, this game adds a lot to what I love about him.

As much as I love the other two top favourites for their own advantages, there's one thing - one little detail - that I really appreciate about Ivo in this game. You see, S3&K might just be the greatest example of his almost ludicrous determination in coming out on top. Any self-respecting villain will refuse to give up, and not go down without a fight, but Robotnik takes it to a whole new level in this game. Right off the bat, his Death Egg has already crash landed on a(n ex?)floating island, but rather than have a wee little moan about it, he gets straight to work and gets on the good side of the island's Rastafarian-looking guardian for exploitation's sake. But then Sonic and Tails show up, as they do, and they muck things up, as they do. Undaunted, Robotnik continues his usual business, but this time with the addition of more mini-boss robots and the aforementioned Rastafarian. Then the good guys eventually make it to the Launch Base, and after fighting the doctor two times (three if you're a Sonic 3 Complete sort of person), the Death Egg crash lands again, this time straight into the center of a volcano, because even non-sentient space stations aren't immune to Rasputinian punishments. Now any other villain at this point would understandably be all like "Fuck saaaake..." and call it quits, but not Robotnik. He keeps working hard, and when the time is nigh, he immediately grabs the Master Emerald and makes a run for it. When you finally confront him on board the Death Egg, he stalls you with the Death Ball, and then unleashes the Great Eggman Robo, complete with two phases. Then you blow that up, and then he tries to escape with the Master Emerald in tow. So you chase him, and you beat him, and he's still not done. He flies off into space, and you're forced to follow suit, until you finally catch up with him. Destroy his ship? Guess who's still flying away in defiance. Yeah, him. It's only after this robot is destroyed that you finally defeat the mad doctor for good in this game.

Want me to write all that down on paper?

So you get what I'm saying? He refused to stay down no matter what happened, and the only way he couldn't continue is when he had close to nothing left. If that's not dedication to your goal, I don't know what is.

Aside from that point, there's also how this game reveals Robotnik's manipulative side, with the way he tricks Knuckles. Maybe I'm looking into it too much, but the bright colours of Launch Base and possibly the creation of Carnival Night (assuming that Robotnik was the one responsible of creating it) seem to me like further bits of effort in his already successful attempts to let Knuckles believe that he's benevolent. Then there's how he reveals he was lying the whole time: no big taunt, not even an explanation from the looks of it, he just electrocutes the dude and bolts, with no hint of remorse. You might say that Robotnik was nice enough to not kill Knuckles, but if you ask me, I think Robotnik wanted Knuckles to live with the guilt and consequences of being fooled like that. He's petty enough to hope for that.

So with that out of the way, you may now post awaaaaaayyyy!~

• Thumbs Up 6

Day 9: Favourite Interpretation of my favourite character

Well to start my favourite character is Shadow. I know, angst angst angst and stuff but heck, I thought he was a good rival and had a good story. So my favourite version of him? Sonic the Hedgehog (06). I hear you gasp and say, but Doctor, he was best in SA2! I agree he was a good character there. Nonetheless, my fave is 06 Shadow. He is blazing a new trail for himself, the past doesn't define him any more. He is his own man and he wants to do good. We even see he's put his differences aside and joined G.U.N. Even when his past of doing no good is offered to him, he declines. He's learned not to be as gullible as he was last game. Overall, he was the best written character in 06. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 6: What's the Funniest Moment/Thing in 06?

Elise's legs.

3cc9fcfaf3cac1a00450ab3367e0073a.png

tumblr_mn1cklL9eW1qjhlhko1_500.jpg

---

Day 7: Which Character Would Fit Best in the Real World?

Amy, without a doubt.

Amy_SA_Fin.png

She seemed pretty used to the regular lifestyle in SA1, considering she spent all her time shopping and just chilling about. She'd probably dream of adventure and handsome guys and love poppy music, which is something I can see just about anyone being like. It makes SA1-era Amy really admirable, actually, since she's so down-to-Earth.

I would've mentioned the Chaotix, Big or Cream/Vanilla to be contenders for this too; but the Chaotix live off of crazy crap happening, Cream/Vanilla are around Chao all the time (which obviously aren't a real world thing), and Big would have no boundaries and would be put in jail for roaming aimlessly to someone's swimming pool and fishing for trout.

---

Day 8: Which Game Do You Love While Everyone Else Hates It?

5078.610.jpg

Well, Sonic Unleashed.

I've said it a billion times to the point of almost being sick but this game has loads of charm and good design, even if it shares a game with horrid QTEs and a fun-but-unfitting Werehog thing. It's one of the last really ambitious Sonic games, and oddly enough also one of the last ones that I felt had a genuine feeling of heart to it; and I hope to see another game that feels ambitious as it is again some day.

Oh yeah, it's also really gorgeous. Like, "one of the best looking games of last gen" level gorgeous.

---

Day 9: Favorite Interpretation of My Favorite Character

tumblr_luu2x0rtPP1r6c9d8o1_400.jpg

OVA Sonic.

Snarky, sassy, but good hearted and determined. He's super laid back and gets irritable when people get in the way of that, but he'll drop it in an instant to make sure everyone is alright. Other than Unleashed's take on Sonic (which shows Sonic being really friendly and having a great time with everyday people), this is my ideal Sonic, and I'd pay big bucks for more of this take on him.

• Thumbs Up 4

Question #9: What's your absolute favourite portrayal of your top favourite character?

Personally, I would like to mention

Number 1: Knuckles (Post!#252 Archie Sonic):

Knuckles_Archie_profile_clipped_rev_1.pn

''Here I come, rougher than the rest of them, rest of them, tougher than leather, they call me Knuckles, Unlike Sonic, I don't chuckle!''

When the comics had went into reboot mode with Issue #252 thanks to Ken Penderp. I was worried about Knuckles considering he was going to be hit hardest with the reboot. Thankfully, that wasn't the case, because he because freaking amazing, especially after Total Eclipse. In the recent Champions arc, he was so funny with how absent minded he was. For example, Amy Vs Knuckles had Amy talking to Sonic, only for Knuckles to flat out knock her out of the ring, leave her injured, and then stare at the crowd confused, asking ''...Weren't we fighting....?''

Then the recent issue had things like Knuckles and Sonic having sort of a big brother relationship, in contrast to Sonic & Tails' little bro relationship. Sonic and Knux played off each other really well, for example, when Amy says she's going with Knuckles to help find the Master Emerald shards, Werehog Sonic gets jealous and Knuckles replies to an annoyed Sonic with ''Wassamatter Shaggy? Jealous?''

This Knuckles is just so much better. He's still the smart, tough, guy that used to be present in the games, while being so much better without the needless stupid baggage added on by Penderp. But he's funny, he's loyal, he's pretty damn cool to his friends now, and he's all around awesome.

• Thumbs Up 5

Question #9: What's your absolute favourite portrayal of your top favourite character?

SA2 Rouge, no doubt.

hqdefault.jpg

Sonic Adventure 2 did a great job introducing Rouge, I think. It did an excellent job at showcasing what I love about this character that sentence is going to be really easy to take out of context by showing how she worked all sides to her advantage in order to achieve her ambitions. It's not so much that she did that, though, but she was so goddamn cunning about it. Throw in the fact that she can do well more than hold her own in a fight and I'm more than impressed.

In later games, it always struck me like she was just made into Shadow's follower in a way like Tails was to Sonic. I wasn't such a big fan of that idea, but I still found enjoyment in the way she was written nonetheless. I like her for being cunning and ambitious, though, and none of the games caught that quite like Sonic Adventure 2 did.

• Thumbs Up 3

30 Days of Sonic Act 2 Day 9: Your Favorite Portrayal of your absolute favorite character.

Hmmmm.... Challenging question here but I think I can think of something so here we go: My favorite character is Sonic. (Bet you guessed that eh?) because he's the main character in the series (Why wouldn't the series be called Sonic the Hedgehog if he wasn't even in the games) and he just seems like an enjoyable character to watch. Now, I wish I could end the post and finish it there, but you want my favorite version of said character which is the version of Sonic in Unleashed.

I haven't played much of said game but I have watched cutscenes from the game and here's why it's my favorite version. For one, it just seems like the most pure version of the character. While that is somewhat due to the graphics of Unleashed but the way he's funny without trying to be funny, and just enjoyable to watch. 

Day 9 complete!

Day 9: What's your absolute favourite portrayal of your top favourite character?

Um, even if I do both of them (Do you need me to say who), it's really simple; the games.

-The games have the dynamic down nigh perfect for my entertainment; one is goofy, prone to childish behaviour but is also the intelligence of the group, the one is more of the common sense, but has his own hamminess and arrogance about his abilities that makes it clear that there's a balance there. Specifically though, I would actually go for a mix of several games since they can show different facets of both characters, but Generations manages to do it with the tiny space it give them and that's impressive so I'd put my chips on that at a push. They have their little personality clashes, they have their moment of caring, they show their respective strengths, their personality flaws, it's just basically a tight package of their dynamic at a highly concentrated level.

-Sonic X just failed to get the balance, with all the silliness going to one character and all the straight-laced behaviour going to the other (bar from moments where it's inflicted on him, not because of his own flaws). I'd say it still messes with people's perceptions to this day when they insist Espio should either go solo or become the leader because he's the only one with a brain to them (when in the games, that isn't the case).

-Sonic the Comic plays by its own parameters, so I don't mind the fact that this version is wildly different from any other incarnation. They're not the Vector and Espio I'm familiar with, but they at least convey an element of it in their own, unique way. It helps that this continuity had Vector a genius right off the bat, so there wasn't a point where the goofiness got confused for stupidity. 

-Archie Sonic used to have loads of problems with these guys, Vector was a borderline offensive stereotype while Espio was just another average teen guy like 99% of Pender's guys. Even when Ian was in control of the writing, he still wrote them tied back to that history so Espio ended up an average teen guy who happened to have ninja clan ties so was forced to be serious (and his actions made it clear he was still average teen guy at heart), while Vector got more done but was at the butt of jokes for the sake of being the butt as opposed to his own actions. Then Chaotix Quest kicked in and they were at least steered more into those game personalities, and Great Chaos Caper kicked them in even more, so they are much better than what they were. Will it ever reach that high that I rank the games at? I honestly kind of don't think so, but only because the way the games are written and the way the comics are written is different at the core. But hey, it's become a great version in the last three years.

I think that's about it

catchin' up!

DAY 7: REAL WORLD SHENANIGANS

I'd probably go with...Sonic I guess. Considering how street smart he comes off as, he'd be able to get around a city pretty well...aside from the obvious "OMGGGGGG TALKING HEDGEHOG WTF" reactions. I mean, Sonic's pretty chill and stuff, so I could see him striking up a normal conversation with a random stranger about something,probably about chili dogs and stuff.

Plus he's a pro boarder, so the skaters would probably welcome him just fine!

DAY 8: FAVORITE GAME THAT PEOPLE MAKE ME FEEL BAD FOR LIKING

256px-SonicRiders2.PNG

SONIC RIDERS: ZERO GRAVITY

My favorite of the Riders trilogy. Most people chalk it up as shit or mediocre but I had the most fun with it out of the three games. I liked Riders 1 and I liked what Free Riders was going for minus the exclusive motion controls, but I think Zero Gravity just got it right. Had no problems with the gravity mechanic and I liked the feel of going through the tight turns with it. The music changing after the use of gravity just felt so damn cool. The tracks were a bit bare compared to the first one, but it had nice tropes. 80s/90s Boulevard for life. Also I just need to mention that the soundtrack is friggin' awesome

DAY 9: BEST PROTRAYAL OF FAVORITE CHARACTER

Oh that's an easy one.

sonic-adventure-2-render.png

SA2 Knuckles.

(i miss you scott dreier)

I miss back when Knuckles used to be kinda chill. Did his job, was all about the business, went through all kinds of places for the master emerald. From dealing with a giant-ass, flying, rainbow tongue ghost to dodging meteors in space. He had his mission, and he carried it out. Not too much of a stick-in-the-mud with it.

And the last thing I'll mention: he was actually pretty badass in that game. SA2 has my favorite Knux line in the whole franchise:

"That's a good one, your emerald?! Talking to you is a waste of time!"

(i miss scott dreier too much ;_; )

• Thumbs Up 2

Question 9: What is your favourite portrayal of your top favourite character. 

Here we go. Sonic. OVA Sonic. 

This is by far my favourite portrayal of Sonic and I think it gets so much right. He has so many odd quirks and a charm that you don't see with any other Sonics. 

Where should I even start? I guess with OVA Sonic's temper, and his overall aura. It's shown very quickly in the beginning of the OVA. Sonic is just relaxing on a chair. When Tails comes out, Sonic clearly doesn't want to be bothered, which is kind of a realistic and interesting trait for Sonic. You usually don't see him try to pass off a friend talking to him like that. This already gives you the impression that Sonic here is more aloof and doesn't like to be bothered much. 

1406366643513.png

Then when Tails starts to get into trouble, Sonic just flat out yells SHUT UP TAILS! Besides being hilarious, I think this shows that Sonic and Tails have a sort of relationship where Tails is always messing with him and trying to get his attention, and Sonic is used to this and so when he hears Tails, he thinks it's just another one of his jokes, I guess. 

Notice how his expression quickly goes from anger to surprise when he sees Tails wasn't just fooling him. 

Then, things get interesting. Sonic refuses to help the Old Man from his burning rocket. Why? I have a feeling that the Old Man is always having mishaps like this, and Sonic doesn't want any part of it. This intrigues me, as it makes me think that Sonic is not nearly as keen to help people here. If someone is just asking him to do something really trivial for him, or the person is annoying, then they can figure it out themselves. Sonic is not a cop, and it's not his problem to be wasting his time with something stupid, that someone else can fix. 

tumblr_inline_miru91nGnr1rqxvm0.png

Sonic and Tails get into a quick argument about who should save him. Tails finally had enough and goes to get the Old Man. I have a feeling that since the OVA just drops us in on a scene like this, that his kind of thing happens all the time, and Sonic was just expecting the Old Man to recover his rocket(Somehow!)or for Tails to just go off and rescue him. 

When both Tails and the Old Man are in grave danger and flying towards the wall, Sonic finally stops fucking about, and he takes off without a word. 

sonic_ova_snapshot2.png

This proves the fact that when something is actually really wrong, then he will start legging it immediately. This Sonic knows when to get serious and when he is actually needed. 

After this, Sonic balances his saving of the Old Man with putting a Crabmeat on his leg. XD 

This scene I really like as it shows Sonic and Tails just laughing and messing with the Old Man while he's talking to the flowers that look suspiciously like Sonic's spines. (Do you think he brushed the petals to be shaped that way?) It shows that Sonic is now in a more active mood, and now is more like in a "I might was well see what's going on as I'm up now" kind of mood. I really like that. 

At the President's house, Sonic refuses (Again) to help out as he thinks it's just another one of Eggman's traps and it's not worth his time. I like how Sonic is not just some "Yeah, lets go on a adventure!!!" Kind of guy, and is more of a "what's in it for me" kind of guy when he has to do something. He'd rather relax on some beach with his friends then constantly go on tiring trips all the time.

eggman.jpg

Through the rest of the OVA, Sonic shows he has a really nice relationship with Tails. They joke around, and they do funny things, like any friends. Even his relationship with Knuckles is pretty smooth, but I bet things are different again if Sonic isn't in the mood like at the beginning of the movie. 

OVA Sonic has a lot of moods and feelings which can conflict on each other at times. He can be all tired and not give a shit one moment, but active and funny the other. The main thing that stands out is how he's a lot less willing to partake in situations which don't give him instant gratification. He doesn't care very much if the situation is just a waste of time. He doesn't need to be needlessly bothered by annoying people all day. This is probably the most stubborn version of Sonic out there. 

But when push comes to shove, and shit starts going down , then Sonic will take the situation seriously and really fix all that needs to be fixed. He truly cares about the planet and it's people, but he really only shows it at the right moments. I think this Sonic has a Jerkass Facade. He comes off as a jerk who only cares about himself, but it takes a big situation to show that he is a guy who will fight to the death to save his planet, Planet Freedom, and all the people on it. He even will save Metal Sonic. 

He's not the same character as SEGA Sonic and that's valuable. 

tumblr_m5hcdiwXgP1qdtw9eo1_500.png

• Thumbs Up 3

Day 9: Klonoa never had this many portrayals

Sonic is a definite Number 1 list for my favorite character. His carefree attitude, his willingness to help others and his desire for adventure and exploring is just such a model of a character that works well with both how his games play and how he interacts with his friends in the stories.

I became interested into the Sonic games around 2011, which was where the Sonic modern games represented Sonic's personality to me the most. It's really a tie between the Adventure-era of his portrayal and his current (Modern) portrayal. They both express Sonic's personality really well in both gameplay and cutscenes. You know that Sonic is fast, but you can also tell his carefree nature and his desire to explore through both the way the levels and his moves are designed. I just like Sonic's characterization, and I simply think that the Adventure games/Adventure Era and the Modern Games/Unleashed and Colors truly made it shine.

Huh, my favorite portrayal of a character?

Well I'm actually going to be different and not choose the classic characters and Shadow since that will be too easy.

I'm gonna go with 06 Silver actually.

Yeah, I know shocking right, 06 actually did something right that's not just the music.

But no really, I do think Silver's actual debut was a pretty good one.

Started as a rookie hero who lets his desperation and naivety get the better of him and later became a well-experienced who knows who to trust now. It really sucks that people just blindly hate on the guy because he's a pretty good character.

So yeah, Silver cool guy and stuff! 

• Thumbs Up 1

This is a question I've had to give some time to think about since I don't really have a specific favorite character, and any character that had traits that COULD have made them my favorite...generally aren't executed that well.

After giving it some thought, I'd probably have to say that the Sonic Riders/Zero Gravity portrayal of Jet the Hawk would have to be the closest thing to a favorite portrayal of a favorite character I can get.

You're probably going "Whuh? The squawky annoying green guy on a hoverboard? What's so great about him?"

Well, I think what makes him work for me compared to others is the fact that in those games, he is unabashedly greedy, competitive, irresponsible, and childish...which already makes him considerably more entertaining than other characters. His imagine spot about wealth, his cocksure way-in-over-his-head arrogance in his competition against Sonic, him trying to ignore Wave's yammering about his responsibilities as a leader, him throwing a tantrum after a painting lands on him and he sends his desk flying...

Outside of shenanigans with Eggman (who I would have put up here but I kinda wanted to give someone other than him the spotlight), you don't really get that many characters who are just so outright entertaining.

Day 9: Favourite Interpretation of my favourite character

This... Is a tough one. My favorite character is Shadow, but... I've never really thought about how different he is in each game. SA2 he was very mysterious and had this air of coolness around him, and he was a snarky punk too. Heroes was kind of just... I dunno. He seemed bland in that one. In Shadow the Hedgehog, he had multiple personalities depending on which path you took, and I liked a few of them.

Honestly though, I'll have to go with 06. He was just straight up badass in that. There was a bit of SA2 Shadow in this one too. He was definitely a little snarky sometimes ("An interdimensional being? Heh, this might even be a fair fight!"), and he had one of the coolest lines in the whole series:

"If the world chooses to become my enemy, than I will fight like I always have."

DAYUM

That's probably my favorite interpretation. Sorry if this seems a bit short, but... This is one of those hard questions for me to answer.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 9: Favorite character interpretation

It's been a while since I've read them, but the comics definitely get my bid on this one.

Dr. Eggman from the Archie comics

Eggready_zpsv32b3wfw.jpg

This version of Eggman is everything from the games plus more. He's witty, immature, and short-tempered, yet at the same time he's actually quite competent, making him a legitimate threat more often than not. However my favorite element about his personality in this incarnation is how he takes everything that's dished out to him as one big game, and how he acts accordingly.

Plus, what's not to love about his numerous exploits? Be it hanging out with his bro, Dr. Wily

WWC_Evil_Bro_Fist.png

Mocking his minions on a daily basis

hahaeg10.jpg

Or decking Sonic right in the face

tumblr_mgqf6n25mm1r29qfqo1_500.jpg

Archie Eggman makes being evil look fun.

Day 9: Complete!

• Thumbs Up 4