Awoo.

Dr. Crusher Presents: The 30 Days of Sonic the Hedgehog Mk.II (Daft and Tolerating It)-PAGE 72, FIN

Dr. Crusher

1: Favorite box art

0XdruOX.png

I was gonna say Tails Adventure was my absolute fave, but Azoo posting the Japanese PC version for Sonic CD reminded me of how great that one was. Still, here's this anyway because I doubt anybody else is gonna mention it. It has a dang ass cute as heck art style going here with that really adorable classic version of Tails riding the waves on his Sea Fox. Literally the cutest Sonic cover in existence.

Other runner ups that I've always liked include the American Sonic 2 cover, the Japanese version for Sonic and the Secret Rings, American Sonic 1, and American Sonic & Knuckles.

• Thumbs Up 3

AHH YEAH! THIS IS HAPPENING!

Well for my favorite box-art for a Sonic game, I'll have to give it to a more recent title.

SB_Rise_of_Lyric_NA_Box_Art.jpg

DON'T LOOK AT ME LIKE THAT! 

• Thumbs Up 1

HERE WE

HERE WE

HERE WE FRICKIN GO

Day 1: Which game has your top favorite boxart?

Hmm...never put in that much thought into a box art that I didn't like, but if there's one that sticks out to me, it's probably one not many would think:

Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity. The cover is a good example of what to expect in the game. It further shows a futuristic outlook on the world and the character themselves traversing it. You know, with them Extreme Gear that allows manipulation of gravity for various purposes. It just reaches out to me that the previous game couldn't. Plus it shows some form of action from the riders involved; that tells you upfront as to what is the deal with this game and what it entails.

(mind the possible typos; using my phone right now...)

• Thumbs Up 2

AHH YEAH! THIS IS HAPPENING!

Well for my favorite box-art for a Sonic game, I'll have to give it to a more recent title.

SB_Rise_of_Lyric_NA_Box_Art.jpg

DON'T LOOK AT ME LIKE THAT! 

But yeah, I'll be honest Rise of Lyric's boxart is actually pretty good even if the game's pretty crummy. It has a very dynamic feel to it, seeing the Boom cast ready to wreck shit up and Sonic enerbeaming towards the looker gives an "YOU BETTER BUY THIS FUCKI NG GAME OR YOU'LL MISS OUT ON SOME GREAT SHIT!" energy to it. Too bad the game kind of sucked but I will give the game credit where credit is due. 

Now excuse me, while everyone mocks me and I'll just be rolling.

.....around at the speed of sound

1803648-box_sonicad2b.png

This boxart is nicely developed and a good expansion from the original one. I think it does a really good job at demonstrating the side that each character stands by and fights for by having them lined up at seperate sides. In addition to that, the title/ logo also does a good job at emphasizing the good and dark side. The art looks great and the character's expressions come through very clearly. Even from a glance, you can really see tension and a possible combative streak brewing between both sides just waiting to explode and come into action. Sonic poses with a very confident posture while Shadow fixitates his eyes on Sonic and looks prepared to face him head on. Eggman has the expression of a little kid who's excited to finally see his plans come to fruition while Knuckles and Rouge give each other that competitive look towards one another implying they're ready to face each other in battle.The expressions and poses come across really nicely and that's something that's always appealed to me. It really has that cool look which I've always liked.

Some honourable mentions: Sonic and Knuckles, Sonic Adventure, Sonic Riders (JP), Zero Gravity, Sonic And The Black Knight

• Thumbs Up 5

My favorite video game boxart.

Sonic_adv_2_battle_box.jpg

This is my favorite video game boxart because it has all of the Sonic cast on it, well the ones you can play as of course. And I believe it explains nicely to the player who's going to be in the game.

As well as it just looks really cool to look at. This boxart also brings back a lot of memories for me.

Also a close couple for me would have to be Sonic Unleashed, and Sonic Colours boxart. Their pretty to look at too.

• Thumbs Up 2

Mmm, let me get in on this!

Day 1: Favorite *definitely not the first to say it* Cover Art

*Spoiled because seriously though, it's been posted how many times on here?*

1060851861-00.jpg
  • Thumbs Up 4

Day 1: Favorite Box Art

Sonic_Adventure_2.PNG

The 2D artwork was at it's best by the end of the Dreamcast era before being phased out for renders, and SA2's character designs are very striking here. The background colors compliment each other as well as the foreground very well, and it's simple without looking flat, but with enough detail without being too busy; you can look at this as a whole and be able to take in everything that's on it without needing to break out the microscope to pick out any small details. The entire design also has really good symmetry that makes this artwork very appealing and eye-catching. Compared to the Gamecube counterpart which I'm seeing a lot of here, what makes this one superior to me, is that it trades the inclusion of the rest of the cast to make it's two main characters pop out that much more. Again, it's simple, and therefore each graphical detail stands out that much more compared to SA2:B's version, who's background is much more subdued and flat to not detract from all the characters cluttering up the foreground.

Also the logo. Much preferred the original without the "Battle" subtitle breaking the symmetry.

• Thumbs Up 2

Favorite video game box art:

I gotta admit that this ones a bit of a toughie for me, mostly since I like all the covers to some degree but if I had to choose I'd probably give it to

256px-SonicRiders2.PNG

The sonic riders zero gravity cover, I don't know why but i've always liked how this cover looked compared to the other sonic games. Something about how all the characters are just there riding on their extreme gears gives me goosebumps (same with the first games cover too actually, especially the jpn box art) not to mention I just love how it has a bit of a luminous blend going on there to really nail in the futuristic aspect.

• Thumbs Up 5

Question #1: My favorite Box Art

Sonic_adv_2_battle_box.jpg

This is a great box art, not only for looking really good, but for showing so much of the game in so little time.

We see the entire main playable cast of the game here, and we also see how they're parallels of eachother, how they are eachothers' nemesis here, Sonic being the cool easygoing guy, Shadow being the serious no joke guy, Tails looking pretty determined and serious in the face of danger, and Eggman looking like he's having fun being evil, showing how much he loves his own dickery, Knuckles looking cocky and ready to fight, and Rouge looking relaxed and confident, each and every single of them showing clearly how they're exact opposites, and with the chao each indicating the Evil, Neutral and Good side, and of course, everyone looking ready for some fightin' since the main selling point of the game is the multiplayer.

The boxart makes you curious and interested, why is the main trio joining forces this time? Why is Eggman with his own power trio? Who are these two antagonizing Sonic and Knuckles? And how much of a threat is Shadow that he takes Eggman's place as Sonic's main enemy here? All these from just a cover, it's pretty good stuff to hit your curiosity about the game.

• Thumbs Up 3

DAY 1 - FAVORITE BOX ART

So I was digging around on Google Images for good covers people haven't mentioned yet and uh

fSD_aQahjfM.jpg
This one 
i7ZF5.jpg
I pick this one

• Thumbs Up 9

Day #1: What game has your favorite box art?:

Sonic Adventure 1

cv-SonicAdventure-usa-a.jpg

I really love the artwork here with Sonic in that pose becomes it’s giving me the feel like there’s an awesome adventure about to happen. Whenever I see this art cover, I get a sense of nostalgia when I first got the game and played. It’s so cool.

My runner up would have to be:

Sonic the Hedgehog 3

s3-bginfo-detailsimg3full.jpg

Look it at. It’s Sonic and Tails about to go on another adventure to stop Dr. Robotnik and his evil rampage with the mystery character hiding in the bushes there. I also dig the fact that Robotnik is going to try and roast Sonic with his machine, but Sonic is playing it cool like he knows he’s gonna mop the floor with Dr. Robotnik. Seriously, just like Sonic Adventure 1, I get mesmerized every time I see it.

Question #1: Which game has your top favorite boxart?

Well, I can't pick one, so I'm going with a few that have always really stood out to me.

1) Sonic Adventure 2 (Dreamcast)

hdr0165front.jpg

When I saw the question, I knew SA2's cover was going to be at the top of my list. Not only because it's my favorite game, but because I like its cover as a composition. While it's another one of those covers with pre-made artwork arranged over a background (which, for me, has gotten a little stale, not going to lie), I've always really dug the Uekawa illustrations and I thought they lent a lot to the series' identity and attitude at the time and helped the games stand out in a good way.

I think what strikes me about this cover, more than anything, is its color scheme, which is bold and in your face, and, along with Sonic and Shadow staring the viewer down, does a lot to push the duality theme of the game. Like its predecessor's cover (SA1), the artwork hints at a big part of the game's setting and backstory: Earth and Space. Sonic's side just shows the blue sky calling back to his big breakout from the GUN helicopter, but also the fact that most of the Heroes' story takes place on Earth, while Shadow's side is looking down on the Earth, tying into his past on the ARK and his plot for revenge. I also dig the ripple effects, which is something that's used on SA1's cover as well, and I like how it surrounds Sonic and Shadow.

This scheme somewhat lives on in the US/EU box covers for Sonic Unleashed, as well, and works nicely for that game's day and night duality theme.

2) Sonic and the Black Knight (Wii)

Sonic_and_the_Black_Knight_%28Wii%29.jpg

When it comes to CG cover art, I think the Storybooks have anything else in this series beat. Their artwork seemed like they were tailored for a box cover rather than slapping together some pre-exisiting artwork and a logo. I still haven't seen the particular models/renders for Sonic on either of these covers anywhere but these box covers, and I personally think that's awesome. I mean, I'd love a high-res standalone of Sonic brandishing Caliburn, sure, but seeing him so grounded on the outskirts of the castle, I'm fine with that.

It's a very cool looking image, with Sonic ready to take off on another adventure and face all the new challenges awaiting him, and also seeing King Arthur looming in the background, as the threat Sonic must defeat

(you know, in the first act)

. The only thing that detracts from it, and this only seems to be the case on the US cover, is the dog-eared section at the bottom with "Sonic Storybook Series" in the corner. Of course, the main reason is that draws my eye because of the warmer color tone, but it's also because... well, we know exactly what happened with any possible "Storybook Series" Sonic Team might have wanted to do following this game. I guess SEGA's always putting their eggs in one basket, huh?

3) Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (Genesis)

Sonic3cover.png

Personally, I have a fondness for Greg Martin's cover illustrations in general. I suppose it's a nostalgia thing, especially knowing the guy did A LOT of artwork I saw in my childhood (not just Sonic, either) and I never knew who he actually was. While the American Sonic designs aren't my personal favorites (I prefer the Japanese illustrations), I always liked how Martin composed an image. He knew how to sell something and make it look exciting and cool. Admittedly with Sonic, it felt very "90s" with its attitude, but hey, it worked. I also think this cover has one up on its Japanese counterpart, because it doesn't mistakenly give players the impression that they can play as Knuckles (OK, technically you can, but I'm talking about this entry as a standalone, not the complete version). I like how it fills in some basic narrative, with Sonic in a new place, Tails now has controllable flight, Eggman tries to burn down the Angel Island Zone, and Knuckles lurks in the shadows (who, here, has the mono-eye and leaves for shoes for some reason), waiting to spring a new trap at every turn.

EDIT: Why the hell does linking to images from Sonic News Network randomly shrink the images

Sonic_Advance_Coverart.png

I went with the first Sonic Advance art. I always liked the 2D art from around 1998-2007, particularly how Sonic tended to look on them. and my favorite design was a toss between this & Sonic Rush. Here Sonic has a very laid-back look to him, which fits in with how I tend to imagine Sonic, him striking me as being easygoing & confident. I can imagine him leaning against something greeting someone like this!

Two things mostly make me choose this over Rush:

* The background - I had to look closely to figure this, but although I like both, Rush's is somewhat cluttered with all the circles & lines clashing together. Sonic Advance just goes with a blue checkerboard, a navy blue bar at the top & a circle that Sonic is set against, which is more elegant by how they're kept quite seperate.

* Sonic's colouring - I just prefer Sonic's fur darker. He's OK on Rush's art, but the lighter colouring looks somewhat washed out to me. The slightly cartoony drawing on Advance's artwork also looks a bit more natural & 'flowing'.

I could say that the other character's look slightly misplaced, probably more than Blaze does because they take up more room, but that is a smaller thing than what I listed above when comparing.

So yes, I really quite like SA's cover.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 1: Which game has your top favourite boxart?

I'll have to go with Sonic CD. what happened to Sonic Retro I usually go there for images aaaaaaaa

Soniccd-cover.jpg

All of CD's box arts are pretty cool, but I actually think I like the US version the most, which is unusual since with the other games I prefer the JP and/or EU covers. Anyway, I like how actiony it is compared to most covers but still remains fairly simple. It's just very nice, I feel.

Runners up for my favourite box art in no particular order: Adventure, Adventure 2, Sonic & Knuckles, Lost World, Sonic and the Black Knight (JP) which was actually very close to being my answer, Sonic Shuffle (not sure why exactly, but it's quite nice imo), and the Riders games (but especially Zero Gravity's).

The Game Gear covers were pretty great in general, but I want to give some special shout outs to the Drift games, Tails Adventure, Triple Trouble...and last, but certainly not least, Sonic Labyrinth's NA cover. No, seriously, look at this:

17774.jpg

I also want to give a way ahead of time shout out to Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games, assuming these renders are used for the cover:

CGU8NZHWgAAm24c.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

ooh, let's do this.

~Day 1: Favorite Box Art~

I guess...I'd have to go with this...

Sonic_Battle_Coverart.png

FAVORITE BOX ART: SONIC BATTLE

It's really simple, but those poses just...yeah.

I remember years ago, I was looking for Sonic Heroes when it first came out, but I saw that game, not having ever heard of it, but seeing Sonic drawn in that stylish anime-esque style...I blew my entire allowance that day and it was worth it.

Sonic Battle's artwork in general has to be one of my favorites in the franchise. Seeing it so...jagged (I guess?) was something new, and it wasn't too far-fetched to be considered something out-of-character or unfitting. Some of the characters in that game have never really looked cooler since then.

• Thumbs Up 4

DAY 1 - FAVORITE BOX ART

So I was digging around on Google Images for good covers people haven't mentioned yet and uh

fSD_aQahjfM.jpg

This one 

i7ZF5.jpg

I pick this one

advbox2.jpg

…wait a minute...

• Thumbs Up 8

Probably the US Sonic 1 art:

sonic-boxart.jpg

Yeah, it's got American the Assface in it, but that's a pretty cool rendition of Green Hill Zone in the back. Plus, like others have said, there's Sonic doing his cocksure pose that says "I'm new, I'm different, I'm cool, so buy me if YOU wanna be cool!"

Pretty much the best way to describe Sonic's 'tude to the viewer back in ye day without it seeming horribly dated 25 years later.

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 1: Top favorite boxart

Sonic_and_Knuckles_TAPA_BOXART_FKW.jpg

Personally, I like this one the most. It's simple and shows both the title characters through a silhouetted logo. I love it, it has it's own charm that none of the others do.

I feel it keeps the feeling of cool that Sonic should always be portrayed with. A feeling of cool-ness that seems to come from just how simple the boxart is in general.

Here we go again folks!

Day 1: Favourite Boxart

Sonic_Rivals_2_Coverart.png

Think I'll give this one to Sonic Rivals 2. It has every character you can play in there and look how serious they all are. Even Tails is having a sulk. It reminds me of Heroes boxart, except instead of working together, they all want to bop each other. Forward, you underrated classic you.

• Thumbs Up 2

- Day 1: Favorite Box Art -

First off, why did no one tell me that the 30 days had already started?  Like, I swear, when I woke up this morning it wasn't on the Recent Topics list.  If I hadn't woken up just now I would have missed the first day. ;_;

Anyway, this is an admittedly difficult question because there's so many great box arts.  Sega has had some really talented artists backing them, which probably contributes to why I love the series so much.  The Genesis/Game Gear era in particular had some of the best box arts, which made it really hard to choose.  In the end I decided on the fan favorite Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

SCH2MbRl.jpg

What do I love about this box art?  Everything.  There's so much going on here.  We see Sonic and Tails in a forest, which happens to be the first stage of the game.  Dr. Eggman is wreaking havoc while Knuckles remains hidden under the bushes.  It basically displays everything you need to know about Sonic 3.  Also, the colors are absolutely beautiful.  Something I feel that modern box arts lack is this absolutely gorgeous, painted looking texture to them.  It just works so well for Sonic, especially in the era he's currently in.  Just looking at it makes me so excited to play some Sonic 3.

• Thumbs Up 3

idk, not many really stick out to me that much... Lemme seeeee...

SonicRiders2.png

Yeah, probably Zero Gravity. I love the energy it gives off, plus the focus on everyone's Ark glowing is really neat.

• Thumbs Up 3

Day 1: Favorite Sonic Box Art?

Yeah, I'm gonna go with a tie between Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Riders Zero Gravity as well. I love the futuristic look and the dynamic poses of the characters in Zero Gravity. Meanwhile SA2's box art has all the sides pitted against each other.

Each one also goes well with the look and themes of the games, with Zero Gravity's box art showing how gravity is just a suggestion as the characters loop and float around in the air. And with SA2's save the world or conquer it, you can just feel the tension coming off as the sides get ready to throw down with each other.

Day 1: Favourite Box Art

Honestly, my favourite box art would have to be Sonic Adventure for the Dreamcast. It just looks so stylish and cool! Like if I was a kid in a store and was a big Sonic fan, that cover would definitely get my attention. Love the dynamic pose for Sonic!