Awoo.

Dr. Crusher Presents: The 30 Days of Sonic the Hedgehog Mk.II (Daft and Tolerating It)-PAGE 72, FIN

Dr. Crusher

Day one favourite box art

in general i love all of the japanese ones.. are so beautiful! this one is my fav

SonicSpinball.jpg

and hope you excuse me :D

but i also liked this one..

_-Sonic-Chronicles-The-Dark-Brotherhood-

i like the way its colored..

here an extended pic to see the details.. http://k44.kn3.net/FBC420C85.jpg 

• Thumbs Up 2

Day one: Favourite Boxart

I could go the easy way out and say "Every Japanese box art of the Classic games", since I love how colorful and energetic they were (it's mostly the colours choice, though)

But, to be honest, the boxart of Sonic Adventure 2 Battle has a special place in my heart; the fact that you can see every playable character in the game, facing off against their rival is a thing of beauty, especially since everyone is faithful to their portrayal in the game; Sonic is smiling, Tails is trying to look tough, Knuckles is frowning while Rouge is smiling at him, and Eggman is actually enjoying watching Tails struggling to intimidate him.  And Shadow...well, it's Shadow.

Slightly after that it's the Japanese box-art for Sonic Riders. I really don't know why they decided to switch to CGI for the western release, especially since there's nothing wrong in that box-art; you've got Team Sonic racing against the Babylon Rogues in an explosion of colours. It really catches your eyes.

Question #1: Which game has your top favourite boxart?

While I don't really have a favourite per se, I do have a soft spot of Secret Rings' cover. Despite the awkward looking Sonic render on the front, I liked the use of Fire, Wind and Dark elements being shown as they're the main powers you can wield during the game.

Now the cover really starts to shine when you head to the back.

"THE LAND OF MYSTERY MEETS THE LEGEND OF SPEED"

And already, this game has grabbed my attention. Can't beat a cheesy tagline to get you excited to play. But seriously, I have to say that the yellow and purple colours blend really well together.

This. I really like SatSR's box art. Is it just me or is that the cutest-looking Sonic ever seen on a Sonic game's box art? He's all like "Isn't this ring on my finger all cool-like? :D"  I do like how all three of the skill elements are depicted too.

sonic_and_knuckles_frontcover_large_bGFw

The other Sonic game box art I've always loved is Sonic & Knuckles' and it's one of the rare examples of the US/UK box art being superior to the JPN one. It's the black that surrounds that very cool stylistic logo that accentuates it far, far better than the white and blue on the JPN cover.

• Thumbs Up 3

DAY 1: FAVORITE SONIC BOX ART

Does scrapped box art count? Because I really like this one:

Scrappedboxartrings.png

I like the font they used and the picture of Sonic, it's got this mysterious feel to it. The lighting makes it really nice as well.

If not, I'll just go with the normal box art:

Sonic_and_the_Secret_Rings_coverart.png

It's very adventurous-looking, and I like how the 3 elements are featured (fire, wind and darkness). It's also nostalgic to me, as I was pretty hyped for the game ever since I saw the trailer for it, when it was called Sonic Wildfire. It's just really cool.

Runner ups would be SA2B (that's been picked a bajillion times) and Shadow the Hedgehog. :D
  • Thumbs Up 4

Just look at that lively pose and facial expression and the foreboding placement of all the Deadly Six behind Sonic. This just screams "YOU'RE ABOUT TO JOIN SONIC ON AN AWESOME ADVENTURE! BUCKLE THE FUCK UP, BOYS, AND RISE AGAINST THE DEADLY SIX!" The background is lovely as well. Just look at that grass. Mmm...

This is the best looking render of the current Sonic design by far. His pose is full of life and he doesn't have that weird squiggly smirk or the Nike logo on the side of his muzzle, but instead has a big open smile and he looks like he's having as much fun as he sounds like he is in-game, with all the "HE-HYEAH"s and "WOO-HOO"s. The composition is just generally brilliant.

Actually, yeah, I think the Lost World cover is an underrated one, and I feel the same about the charming and checkered simplicity of the Advance covers. :)

Western artistic quirks aside, I like how it's one of the more narratively-driven box arts we have. For one, you've got Eggman in the background dishing out fiery damage to the environment that's actually in the game. And just as well, I've always liked Knuckles hiding over in the corner there like the sneaky little bastard he was at the time. Even if you knew what he looked like, it adds a level of intrigue and mystery to the piece as a whole, and just as well plays on his wishy-washy moral alignment. It's honestly those two elements that always made me want to play the game the most.

I've always noticed this as well, and while I might have not mentioned this cover in my own post, it's definitely another top one for me, the displayed narrative being one of the reasons for why.

Y'know, I've always kinda found this boxart unintentionally hilarious. Robotnik's causing a massive forest fire in the background while Sonic and Tails are just posing for the cover, blissfully unaware.

This is another reason for why.

This one

i7ZF5.jpg

I pick this one

Maybe this was what turned Wily into Alcoholic Wily.

Either that or 3D Blast Sonic.

Oh boooy! 30 Days 'o Sanics is back! Thankyou, Crusher!! :3

Mambo's Favourite Sonic Boxart

Hmmm... probably this:

scd-bginfo-detailsimg3full.jpg

Sonic CD for PC, as it was the first copy I had of this game when I purchased it for my Uni computer, back in 2002. I hadn't played Sonic CD before then because I didn't have a MegaCD. Why do I wuvs it, because it's lovely lil Japanese Classic Sonic. Look how cute and tubby he is! :3 Adorable. And Metal Sonic there, all shiny. I just love this style of Sonic artwork.

Bonus runner-up... the UK cover of Sonic and Knuckles.

3c08e169180698f9a731cfa151cd97b6.jpg

I had a smexy cardboard box and sleeve for my copy, not the usual black plastic box. And I loved it, it felt like a special edition of sorts. (I dunno if every copy of Sonic and Knuckles was sold like that back in the day?) Also, that logo is soooo fuckin' cool. It's so simple, yet so freakin' badass!

• Thumbs Up 1

That honor is tied between two games actually. For the sense of adventure and foreshadowed conquering of the levels that await with style! Lost World gives the almighty, "You're going on an adventure!" vibe "Up and adown and all around"!

Sonic_Lost_World_Wii_U_Box_art.jpg

And then there's Sonic Colors as well, with its vibrant upbeat appeal. Cool and yet, as also happy at the same time.Sonic-Colors-Wii-and-DS-Box-Art-sonic-th

Now that's  a-box art that motivates me!

• Thumbs Up 3

Question Numero Uno: Which game has your favorite boxart?

jaquette-japonaise.jpg

Out of all the Sonic game box arts out there, this is one I feel like doesn't get the recognition it deserves. Many in this thread have already solidified how absolutely fantastic the Japanese renditions of box arts for the classic games are, and this is not only the best of them in my view, but quite possibly my entire favorite box art of any game in the whole series.

I have my own fond memories of Sonic Jam, which may leave me a little biased here as well. I got a Sega Saturn from a flea market around '09ish, and one of the games I got with it was Sonic Jam. It's a little quaint, nice game that's not only a great compilation of the classic trilogy, but also has that nice "Sonic World" 3D hub that I had a good time wandering around in. But enough of that, along with the boxart.

In general, I just adore how everything is placed here: the vibrant, eye-catching use of colors that are exploding all over the place, how awesomely posed Sonic & co. are in that always so-beautiful classic art style, the gold plating on the left with the Sega Saturn logo on it (I've always much preferred it to the American Saturn logo) that just feels like cherry on a cake in terms of what's already insanely decadent eye candy of a box art. It just literally oozes kickass. Love this box art so much, it's just astonishing to me.

• Thumbs Up 4

1. Fave Box Art

I've never been hugely inspired by Sonic box art.  They've rarely been bad but nor have many jumped out and made me go "wow".  I guess gun to my head my fave would be Sonic Colours due to it's vibrant colours and going for a "bright nighttime" aesthetic rather than daytime or a neutral bright/dark backdrop.  I also like Sonic Riders ZG for that futuristic neon-y feel.  I love the Riders 1 art style so I WANT to love that box too for using it over CG renders, but honestly the actual box art itself is nothing to write home about.  Quality art but nothing flabberghastingly amazing.

However since all the above have been mentioned by other posters, for my actual image I just want to give kudos to the European Sonic 1 box art since (unless I scrolled a bit too quickly somewhere) it hasn't come up yet.

Zy6hLc.jpg

I dunno something has always appealed to me about how gentle this box art is when I look back on it in retrospect.  The plain cream background with the pale details makes me think of the wallpaper of a warm sitting room like an elderly relative's house or something.  It's so calm and subdued, honestly a little inappropriate for the game's content if said content existed in a vacuum but... in the wider context of the game as a thing that exists in our world, it sure makes me think of being a kid, drinking juice, eating a sandwich and quietly playing video games on an old CRT television during a lazy sunday afternoon.

Plus they didn't use buttface US Sonic so that's a plus.

• Thumbs Up 7

Bit of an odd, more an appreciation rather than favourite if you will.

Sonic_Mega_Collection_Coverart.png

Yeah, its not really anything special. I just liked having all the Mega Drive games again for the first time in many years. But I dunno, about 18 months after I got this, I was looking through a second-hand game store and found some Saturn games. i'd never owned a Saturn, and unfortunately there were no consoles to change that. But I did come across Sonic Jam. What leapt out to me was the fact the Mega Collection cover was basically the character poses from Sonic Jam done in the new art style, for the new collection. I liked that idea, a neat little reference for the die-hards I completely missed for a long time.

On its own merits though, definitely Sonic & Knuckles, such a badass logo.

• Thumbs Up 5

There's so much good box-art to choose from.

My favourite:

s3-bginfo-detailsimg1full.jpg

It might seem a bit strange that Eggman and Tails are absent from the box-art, but what it does extremely well; is how it sends a clear and yet subtle message as to what's going on. Sonic appears nice and big - looking pretty awesome - in the centre of the picture making a "1" finger sign with one hand and a "3" finger sign with the other, thus leaving no doubt this is the third mega-drive installment and that Sonic is the star.  However, you also get a much smaller picture of a very angry looking Echidna who has his left arm raised towards Sonic in a threatening manner. It creates an element of mystery. Who is this cool looking character and why is he angry with Sonic? What has happened? Knuckles is the new star in town and the box-art makes it very clear that you and Sonic have got to watchout for this guy. The background shows off Carnival Night which is one of the mysterious new stages in the game. The boarder also has that beautiful light blue color which SEGA started using for their EU mega-drive box-art from about 1994 onwards.

It may not have loads of colors or characters, but it shows a very simple picture with draws you to the game. Makes you want to play it and found out what the hell is going on!

Another one of my favorites is the Japanese and EU box-art for Sonic CD.

scd-bginfo-detailsimg9full.jpg

This conveys a similar message in that you have two characters, one being Metal Sonic who doesn't look happy to see Sonic. You also have a very angry looking Sonic - which you don't see too often in Sonic game box-art - who seems to equally loathe his Metal doppelganger.

Much like the Sonic 3 box-art this creates an element of excitement and mystery. Makes you want to play the game to find out what's happening.

I also enjoy the SA2 box-art which focuses exclusively on yet another rivalry. This time with Sonic and Shadow. I like the use of colors; blue in the top left which changes to purple and red as it moves across and you can see planet Earth at the bottom right. It gives the impression something epic is going to take place.

20150416213123!Sonic_Adventure_2_cover.p

I guess I've kind of got a thing for box-art which shows exciting rivalries  :D

The 30 Days of Sonic is back! 

UIPup7X.gif?1

If you couldn't tell I'm really excited about this... :D

Day 1: Favorite Sonic Boxart

Seeing that Sonic is my favorite character overall, I've always been delighted to see him on any boxart cover. Among the many different kinds of Sonic boxart out there this one is my favorite:

PQumYyw.jpg?1
Sonic COLORS

Looking at this boxart there are a TON of beautiful details and design in the setting of the first level of the game: Tropical Resort. You have buildings and structures with a lot of details, Dr. Eggman's Ferris wheels, a fountain right behind Sonic, lush vegetation including palm trees and a gorgeous background view of the Earth-all in a night setting. I really like how the setting of the Sonic Colors boxart takes place at night. Then there is Sonic coming off the end of the laser wisp with a big smile on his face and body language showing that he is ready for adventure, surrounded by all the other wisps that are in the game including the adorable Yacker :) If you knew nothing about what Sonic Colors was about you can tell from the boxart that those wisps would have some significance to the game.

The Sonic Colors boxart also has sentimental value to me as it is the first new Sonic boxart that I had actually seen since the boxart for Sonic and Knuckles back in 1994. This 16-year gap inbetween me seeing Sonic boxarts was due to me taking an which you may or may not know about this point. So the fact that this was the first new Sonic boxart I had seen since my return to Sonic makes this one very special to me.

I believe I have made it crystal clear here at the SSMB that I have a ton of admiration for Sonic Colors, starting simply from the bright, vibrant, colorful and beautiful boxart that never ceases to amaze me and bring a smile to my face :)
  • Thumbs Up 9

Okie-doke, let's get things started! My favorite boxart iiiiiiiiiiis:

qpkn7l.jpg

Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games

Say what you will about the Mario & Sonic series in regards to its gameplay, but in terms of presentation, it really satisfies. In addition to the always fantastic soundtrack of remixes from Mario and Sonic alike, every game brings forth a plethora of really cool CG renders showcasing characters from both sides either facing off or just enjoying Olympic sports in general. Nowhere does this shine more than in the boxart for the third installment. On top of a front-and-center Mario and Sonic in the center, you have tons of little bits off to the side featuring characters competing in various events. From Yoshi tossing a discus to Knuckles and Metal kicking off to WARIO, WALUIGI, EGGMAN AND SHADOW BICYCLING. Yeah. Didn't expect to see THAT on a box, now did ya? This art is not only extremely eye-catching, but it does a great job of representing both a ton of the events featured in the game AND the fancy CG opening that starts things off. This is the kind of box that you just look at and say "Wow. We really have come a LONG way since the console wars."

Runners-Up:

2vwu3k6.jpg

Sonic Riders

Similar to my #1 pick, I love how eye-catching this one is with all the different colors and characters represented. I also love the use of a more dynamic scene with Sonic and Jet gliding up above while their friends rush by under them. It really fits the theme of the game and I'd say it's my favorite of the Riders covers. (Zero Gravity had a great one, too, but I prefer the composition of this one just a biiiiit more.)

2ecj4w0.jpg

Sonic & the Black Knight

Bit of a bias here given that it's my favorite Sonic game, but I love the moody look of this cover with Sonic standing battle-ready as the shadow of King Arthur looms over him. It really matches the game's unique look and tone.

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 1: Favorite Box Art

It's no contest here: 

_-Sonic-3D-Blast-Sega-Megadrive-_.jpg

I'm kidding, I'm kidding. But really, I gotta go with Sonic 3 US. 

Sonic3-box-us-225.jpg

There's so much going on, the landscape is beautiful, and I absolutely LOVE Knuckles hiding in the shadows as he is, especially since he was a new character at that time and you weren't sure if he was a friend or foe. And of course, you have Sonic's famous smirk to top it all off. 

Honorable Mentions: Sonic Colors, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, Sonic Generations. 

HEAQSFc.png

Three of the series' box arts stood out to me more than the others. Sonic 1's didn't exactly thrill me as a child, with it lacking the big bold colour schemes that dominated video game covers. That was part of the reason it caught my eye though. Without much of a background, you concentrated on the design of this awesome new character more than anything else. It looked so clean and professional from a distance, yet playful up close thanks to frolicking friends and a dancing Doctor. Over the years, it's built up quite the feeling of nostalgia, reminding me of my first experiences of console gaming.

Hk910r9.png

These beasts, on the other hand, took my fancy almost immediately. Adventure's introduction of Sonic's new design was really something, with its 2D art exemplifying every new change by bending his longer limbs and spikes and larger gloves and shoes into the shape of circle. The watery layer in the background, with its ripples seemingly emanating from Sonic, created a beautiful effect. The way Adventure 2 traded that for a colourful Yin/Yang, space/sky theme is also just lovely. Of course Shadow being more on an unknown at the time made the whole piece really intriguing.

• Thumbs Up 1

'A relatively easy one' he says. Oh.... you have no idea.

Day 1: Which Game Has Your Top Favorite Boxart?

Let me explain something, SSMB. I have aspirations to get a career in marketing. The visual aspect of it to be more specific. So you can imagine that I pay attention to things like logos, object placement, and what have you in advertisments. And to me, one of the best ways to market a game is to have eye-catching boxart. Of which this series has way too much of.

Seriously, I have changed my answer to this question twice already. And if I wasn't trying to post these on time, I'd probably change it another three times over. But, I think I have finally picked one solid favorite. Maybe.

Sonic_and_Knuckles.jpg

Sonic & Knuckles (US Boxart)

The first thing one will notice is that there is nothing flashy about this artwork. No characters with cool poses, no detailed background behind them, nothing like that. It's all very minimalistic.

But that's why it works.

Look at the logo. You have 'Sonic & Knuckles' in rather simple text, but with a nice little sheen that gives it a subtle 3D-look to it. What I like best is the use of color. 'Sonic' is blue, just like the character, while 'Knuckles' is red for those same reasons. The yellow border around the lettering really fits well with both colors and makes the logo stand out more.

Now, I believe that making the background a solid black color was a good idea. Not only does it look easy on the eyes, but there's nothing to distract you from the stylish decal of the title characters in the center of the box. It's clear what the focus of the game is on - Sonic and Knuckles.

You have the icon of Sonic on the left. I really like that blue surrounding the black shape. I feel it really accenuates what has become an iconic symbol for the series. And then you have Knuckles on the right. While he doesn't have that same cool effect you get with Sonic's icon, I do like the way he's edging into Sonic. It's almost as if he wants to be the main focus. Which is a nice touch, as it gives one the hint that these two are rivals.

All the colors present compliment each other very nicely and as I hinted at before, stand out very well against the background. You also get an air of mystery with this cover - what's the story? Where's Tails in all this? What is Robotnik up to this time? How does Knuckles play into this whole thing, and so forh.

All in all, it all comes together to create what I find to be a very simple, yet very eye-catching cover.

• Thumbs Up 3

Might as well take another swing at this I guess.

Day 1: CROW's favorite Sonic Boxart

Sonic_adv_2_battle_box_zpspdzfix2h.jpg

I might have my nostalgia goggles on but I do love the SA2:B box art. Its the box art I remember the most as well as the first Sonic game I've ever bought. Its pretty dynamic compared to most as we see all the characters facing off against each other, showing the 2 factions that are playable. Its pretty colorful and just shows who's who. But yeah nostalgia is a hell of a drug and I'll proudly wear it for this day.

• Thumbs Up 1

DAY 1: What is Your Favorite Sonic Box Art?

Sonic_the_Hedgehog_Next-Gen_Box_Art.JPG

Sonic 2006 ~ Deceptively Captivating ~

I like Sonic. I also like medieval castles. Put the two together and you get what I consider to be one of the high points to one of Sonic's err... low points, to put it lightly. Sonic running through Kingdom Vally is simplistic, yet dynamic... It's just plain awesome looking. B)

• Thumbs Up 4

Well, while I've loved quite a few Sonic box arts over the years, there remains one that most immediately comes to mind for me:

4864093439_3867221ccb_b-noscale.jpg

There's just something about the box artwork for Sonic Colors that just appeals to me, I feel. Perhaps it's the showcase of the Wisps that you can actually use in game? The gorgeous render of the Tropical Resort terminal area in the background? Or maybe it's the way Sonic is illustrated, using the Cyan Laser while looking to have a good time? Either way, to this very day, whenever I look at this, I just get the feeling inside that I'll be in for a great time whenever I pop it out and play it.

• Thumbs Up 4

Day 1: Favorite Cover Art

4864093439_3867221ccb_b-noscale.jpg

Sonic Colors

I dunno, I don't really have much emotional attachment with box art for games, but I've always liked Sonic Colors' box art. It just has a really cool perspective, it's quality is quite nice, the color scheme is captivating, but most importaintly...

The ink used makes the cover look like it's made out of stuff like this:

4ff8b4c9da88edb36a5e191eca2394ff.jpg

Bean_zpsoel4woog.jpg

Shiiinyyy...

• Thumbs Up 2

Question 1:

Sonic riders zero gravity

_-Sonic-Riders-Zero-Gravity-Wii-_.jpg

I really love the designs here. It has the sense of epicness and adventure based on this cover and luckily the story was pretty good I'd say, the gameplay could of been better though.

But yea the cover looks awesome, it shows of the 6 main guys of the rider series looking awesome posing together in their extreme gears which has a cool new look to them compared to the last one.

Seeing sonic still looking like he's having the time of his life and just enjoying himself is always great to see while jet has his serious determined look on his face only because he is serious about beating sonic in extreme gear racing.

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 1: Favourite Game Box art.

Because he said game... I'm sad... because now I can't pick one of the OST covers.

But... I like this one.

Sonic-2-cover-art.jpg

Sonic 2.

Just... look at it, you don't even need a title or anything else to tell what it is, it's Sonic 2! He has a friend with him! Eggman is looming in the darkness trying to crush them! And those eyes! Those black eyes like a demon! You can't help but pick this one up, that's the sign of a great boxart, does it make you pick the game up... HELL YEAH!

Also... I wanted to list Sonic CD, but... none of them I fully love, there's usually one part of it that I just don't like.

First:

Shadow_the_Hedgehog_Coverart.png

So edgy, so dark, so brooding, so angsty...

I love it! <3

Second:

SRA_DS_CVR%20SHT.jpg

This game's box art is a good improvement on what the prequel to this game had. It's subtle, and captivating all the same as well.

Lastly:

8362.jpg

They're jumpin' in the air and freeze-framing! Who doesn't love that?

• Thumbs Up 2

big.jpg

Sonic Heroes (PAL/NTSC cover)

Now, this cover isn't perfect, that Sonic render on the back is in a questionable place and that toothless smile he's sporting makes me glad they haven't attempted the expression again on future covers.

However, this cover represents my starting point with the series. I mean technically the game itself represents that but this cover stands to represent the game's atmosphere perfectly with the team mechanic being alluded to on the front by the trio and their individual colour streams. It's such an eye catching cover with the bright colours and shiny logo. No doubt some kids first encountered this game on a shop shelf and the cover was what got them to take it home.

I've even specifically used the PS2 cover because even that banner evokes fond memories of days gone by for me.

I want to say more but I'll end up talking about my history with Sonic Heroes as a whole and I'd rather save that since it's not really relevant here and I'm hoping a more suited question comes up later in the month.

• Thumbs Up 3