Awoo.

Dr. Crusher Presents: The 30 Days of Sonic the Hedgehog Mk.II (Daft and Tolerating It)-PAGE 72, FIN

Dr. Crusher

Question #27: Which character(s) do you feel get a bad rep that they don't deserve?

Everyone not named Sonic, Eggman, or is part of the "classic cast", etc.

I'm part of the group who believes that most if not nearly every character not named gets/had a bad rap for merely existing, as a result of them usually being underdeveloped as characters AND on top of having poorly designed gameplay styles attached to them. Now I will admit that I have been in something of a bubble in regards to Sonic (the only places I get Sonic info is here and random youtube comments, and I get the feeling the latter probably helped cultivate my...abrasive and cynical personality to some degree), so I don't really know how they are seen in the fanbase nowadays, but frankly the way SEGA has been using them is nothing short of abysmal, and they REALLY deserve better.

• Thumbs Up 4

Day 27

sonic-universe-27-best-scene.jpg?w=560

Silver the Hedgehog.

This guy gets a bad rep, I feel, largely because he made his debut in a really terrible game.

Just his overall concept is neat. I could care less about the time travel aspect, but the psychokinesis really did have a lot of potential to be a neat alternative playstyle, and it's a shame its execution had to be tied to that game of all things.

Sure, he's derpy, but he's also heroic. He's desperate to find the answers that could fix his time, and as a result, he doesn't closely analyze things like he should.

comic14_sml.jpg

You don't need to look any further than his showdown with Super Sonic in the recent StCO issues to see the sort of potential he has to be a really heroic character. By some twist of fate, across the multiverse, he is destined to take down not one, but TWO demigods who nobody else could.

I think Archie was going interesting places with him by locking him in the past and wrapping up the traitor timeline and it was a shame to see it all discarded, because I'd be very intrigued to see where his character would go.

• Thumbs Up 8

Question 24: Intensity 9.0

The final boss in Sonic Unleashed was intense as hell. Maybe for the wrong reasons really. The last sequences of the game (Which involved a lot of QTEs) were mind-numbing crazy that I was just smashing my finger at X over and over again. It's powerful music, the atmosphere of where the boss took place, it just felt so intense. The first sequence of the boss battle was probably the most intense, with the second sequence just being straight up epic. The QTEs alone were what made this the most intense moment to me.

(I'm really busy at a lot of things, so I'll try to catch up as fast as possible).

Question #27: Which character(s) do you feel get a bad rep that they don't deserve?

Silver, definitely Silver. Just because he originated in Sonic '06, people dismiss him as a shitty character. I find this little Trunks knock off to be pretty cool, especially in the comic books where he managed to defeat Enerjak. 

Question 27: Which characters do you feel get a bad rep that they don't deserve? 

I'm going to cheat a bit, and choose a certain version of a game character. 

Sonic the Hedgehog from Sonic The Comic. 

STC60-Sonic.jpg

This is probably one of the most hated version of Sonic out there, and I guess I can see why as he is more...risque than other Sonics. But I don't think he deserves all the hate he gets. He's simply a very interesting take on the character. 

i guess I should start with how he is usually said to "treat everyone else like shit". Usually the biggest offender is Tails, whom Sonic calls Pixel Brain. Now, I know this is not the most flattering name in the world. But I think it's just a little joke, a nickname if you please. Friends and siblings sometimes call each other by nicknames that aren't the most comforting. But it's just a little tease. Plus, Tails doesn't seem to be bothered by it much, if at all. I don't know if I'm going to far, but I wonder if Sonic The Comic Tails actually finds it comforting, in a strange way. Tails is probably very used to the name, and he takes it as part of their friendship. And plus, I don't think Sonic treats Tails or anyone else like shit. He's simply pulling their leg. What 15 year old isn't going to act like an ass towards other people now and then? 

But I should bring up what everyone is thinking about: 

2hq9fzo.jpg

Sonic certainly really didn't mean what he said to Porker, he was just frustrated. He even analogizes to Porker a few pages later, and they make up. The reason why Sonic acted like this is because Nigel Kitching said that Sonic doesn't know how to handle emotions properly, and sometimes what he says is too harsh. I find this to be very relatable. There are people out there who don't know how to handle situations properly and then have a meltdown. It's just something that you aren't really expecting to see from Sonic. He obviously knows Porker isn't weak on the inside, but he's just in a very bad position.

I don't think he's very informed on how you are really supposed to act in public. He probably doesn't realize when he's being inappropriate and harsh until it's too late sometimes.

We already knew at this point that this Sonic was different than the one we knew. He has a quite strange sense of humor, and does all sorts of strange pranks. Just because he was different than the Sonic we know doesn't mean he's a bad character. He's shown many, many, many times how heroic he is and how he will truly never give up. 

I think it's best to just treat this Sonic as a different one all together, and try not to make too many comparisons to SEGA Sonic. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Question 27: Which characters do you feel get a bad rap that they don't deserve? 

2948119-shadow+archie.png

''THE EDGEHOG IS IN THE HOUSE''

''But Ryan! Shadow isn't that hated!''

phoenix-wright_00347894.png

While Shadow isn't hated that much, you could make the argument that he's become more of a joke than nothing else, and he is in many regards, hated among some of the community.

Going more in depth, Shadow's hatred and transformation to a joke character was from his own game, Shadow the Hedgehog, which basically turned a good and sympathetic character we knew from Adventure 2 into a try hard, edgy wannabe who acted like a general asshole without using any kind of sense or logic he's supposed to have. It's the entire reason why I've nicknamed Shadow as ''Shadow the Edgehog'' just because of how try hard he was in his game.

Due to the repetitive nature of his game, the convoluted story, the flanderised characters (with Shadow & Sonic being the worse of the bunch), and just how horrible Shadow actually turned out to be for the fanbase, it seemed to have been the cause of why Shadow gets a lot of hate now, as the try hard edgy Sonic recolour, and no other games actually bothered to flesh him out anymore in an attempt to fix this problem, in some cases, even getting worse due to bad writing. 

For example, Rise of Lyric had Shadow basically just walk in and say:

''Oh Hai Sonic!''

His character in Rise of Lyric basically boiled down to him being an asshole for no reason and having no rhyme or reason to even appear in the game.

But does Shadow deserve the hate he gets? No. He doesn't. The Modern version of Shadow is a joke. No joke about it. He's a try hard edgy asshole. But then you have the Archie Shadow, you have the Adventure 2 Shadow, and you have all these other well written forms of Shadow that seriously deserve some praise. 

Yes, Sonic Team royally fucked up Shadow's personality from Adventure 2 onwards, but that doesn't change the fact that he was really great in Adventure 2, a person who changed for the better and risked his own life to better his own mistakes. The Archie version of Shadow takes this even further, with his personality being he doesn't live up to the name of Ultimate Lifeform, having to learn to deal with his origins, and failures, and learning how to care for his friends. Shadow honestly doesn't deserve all the hate he gets.

Also, as a quick runner up, This guy:

1440981-silver_main_image.png

Silver is honestly one of my favourite characters in the entire franchise, he has a great personality, he has some really good morals, he has flaws, and is easily gullible, he's trying to save his future, his entire background, powers, and world is a entire swimming pool of possibilities for great story, and if done right, his powers, mixed with the gameplay and speed of something like Sonic Rush or Generations could really make for a cool new take on the Sonic formula.

Archie Silver is even better, having a strong heroic side to him but being over confident in his own powers, leading him to gloat and leaving himself open for attack, but he's a guy just wanting to do what's best for the world. What makes him even better, is he's like the Spider-Man of Archie Sonic. A young inexperienced hero who always makes wise cracks, is getting used to his own power and abilities, and getting in way over his head only to figure out a way through the mess, and become a bigger and better person for it.

It honestly annoys me that Silver gets so much hate because it's absolutely not deserved one bit. One of the reasons I always seem to find for why people don't like him is ''HIS GAMEPLAY SUCKED IN SONIC 06 SO HE'S AWFUL'', along with ''OHHH, HIS DESIGN IS A LITTLE BIT BAD. HE'S AWFUL''. It's fucking annoying because it doesn't even look into his personality or his potential as a character. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Anyway, I'm sure they do have a few other fans out there (I know there's at least one other on here... you know who you are)

Thank :3

So yeah, the 6Z are mentioned again, for pretty much the same reasons Crusher went over in his original post and the same ones I went over several times in the past - yes, they are cutouts and yes, they are pitifully easy despite their name (Zavok excluded), but I still like how diverse their limited personalities are among themselves. Yeah, Zomom's "the fat one" and Zeena's "the girl", but then you have Zor, who is so pessimistic about everything that he's just fun to watch. Their designs also give them unique silhouettes, and I'd love to see their personalities expanded upon since I can see Zavok and/or another Zeti being big enough threats in their own right to be an effective non-Eggman villain (maybe in a spinoff title or something, so the main games are still ripe with eggs).

And there's also Marine - I'm inclined to believe that her Australian slang is a means of getting across an accent in text (which, speaking as someone who has a British character who puts on an American accent most of the time and only slips back into their native one when things go south, is pretty hard to do). So if she were voiced (I'm surprised she's the only major SRA character that's not voiced - even Johnny got a voice!) I reckon the slang would be cut back. And I can easily see her being a good sidekick for Blaze - aside from the fact that she's basically Sol!Tails, she's got water(ish) powers, and her orange/green colour scheme stands out nicely from Blaze's purple/white. I also didn't find her to be super annoying either to be honest - I remember getting more annoyed with Cream than I do Marine.

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 27: My most underrated character:

Big_the_Cat_Sonic_Channel.gif

Big has been the verbal punching bag of nearly the entire gaming community ever since his debut. And I get it: his fishing gameplay was slow and boring.

But here's one tiny, crucial detail that everyone conveniently seems to overlook: That's not the only thing Big has done!

In Heroes, Big is the backbone of Team Rose, constantly launching the girls as projectiles, flailing his lure around like a maniac, and belly-flopping his foes into oblivion! Not to mention he stuck around to help defeat Metal Overlord after he got Froggy back. If he was the one-dimensional simpleton everyone paints him as, he would have abandoned his teammates after he found his frog. But no: he stared that giant robo-dragon dead in the eye and proclaimed "You're going to pay for this!"

And do I even need to bring up the Archie comics?

tumblr_mcbblqV2JD1ra3a2yo1_500.pngtumblr_mx4eysb6LB1shcyk9o1_500.jpg

Big_Fights_Silver_Sonic.jpg

Big willingly gave up his easygoing life he loved so much and joined the Freedom Fighters- the main protagonists! -because he wanted to help save the world from Eggman. He's helped defeat Silver Sonic, rescued Sally, and fought off countless Badniks and Dark Gaia monsters! And it's been confirmed that Big is the single strongest person on the entire planet!

In short, Big is a true hero underneath all that purple fluff. Sure, he may not be the fastest guy out there, but he's just as brave and selfless as the rest of the Sonic crew.

• Thumbs Up 9

Day 27: Which character(s) do you feel get a bad rep that they don't deserve?

It's really hard to pick one out that's different to the others. My first option was Silver (for completely different reasons to the above because I did not enjoy the Dark Mobius arc), but maybe I can just stick to what I know...

Big the Cat

Big_the_Cat_Sonic_Channel.gif

Okay, he has a bit of a cult following (especially on here), but generally he's a very misunderstood character. I can appreciate that people may not have enjoyed his gameplay in SA1, but the dislike of him goes beyond that. He's often cited as being extraordinarily stupid, to the point of being oblivious to everything bar Froggy. Froggy is his friend and confidante, so it's natural that Big would put more effort into making sure he was safe. Aside from that, he may have simple goals and a laid back out look, but he's not nearly as stupid as people suggest. For one, he presumably had to build his hut by himself from raw materials, so he at least has good survival skills under his metaphorical belt. For another, he's not nearly as oblivious either (aside from Chronicles, but that royally messed him up); he cares for his team mates in team Rose, and will go papa wolf on opponents should they try to threaten them. He's fully aware of the dangers around him, and responds accordingly when the situation calls for it. His chilled attitude in normal circumstances is unique, and one that should be appreciated as opposed to shunned for not fitting the image of cool that some fans seem to want every character to fit into.

And a cliche one next, but a brief one for a very simple reason.

That Croc.

300px-Vector_the_Crocodile.jpg

Some people may think that what brought Vector's rep down was the infamous quote in Shadow the Hedgehog. While it may have been a fraction, I think it's more of a footnote compared to what Sonic X did to his character. In that show, he was portrayed as outright moronic, whose plans were incoherent and insane and with zero trust from his team mates. Even Sonic Heroes alone contradicts this, where he's quick at deduction and insightful, and although Espio has reservations, he trusts Vector enough to follow through with his plans diligently, and they're able to talk on a level field of intellect. But because Sonic X was super popular for a time, this became the predominant interpretation in the fandom, and he was often relegated to the bottom ranks. Games since have just outright ignored what Sonic X did, the Hashimoto era showing him as a competent boss who can be distracted by things and gets called out appropriately, while Iizuka's doubled down on the detective side with Vector being able to plan like a pro, solve stuff no one else does, being said to be intelligent in his profiles multiple times and generally flipping the double bird at the dumb muscle trope. With Sonic X's influence being worn away from the fandom on top of this effort, he's managed to claw his way back up the ranks steadily.

...Shit, that's longer than Big's bit isn't it. Sorry Big!

• Thumbs Up 3

The first person that came to mind first was Chip. I feel he gets dismissed as annoying simply because of a running joke repeated only three times, when the fact is he's probably the best companion character in the Sonic games thus far. Gameplay wise, his interference is limited. He gives a few hints in the beginning but backs off to let you play the game proper, and even then these hints aren't unnecessarily narrated. Otherwise, he either sees you off in levels or follows you in the hubs waiting to be fed (which actually gives you substantial unlockables). He's not constantly yammering repetitive lines, nor is he glitching out, nor is he running into obstacles and decimating your ring count. Narrative wise, he proves to actually be helpful in spite of his cowardly tendencies, first by saving Sonic from a deadly fall, opening the Gaia temples necessary to even save the Earth in the first place, saving Sonic again after the dissipation of his Werehog form leaves him unable to defend himself, leading the team effort against Dark Gaia, and then finally saving his butt from a fiery grave again. Three saves in total; I don't think anyone else, even Tails, has that high a count across a single game. On top of that, I find his background antics in the cutscenes adorable and charming, my favorite scene being the one in which he's trying to attain another cup of tea while Pickle explains the Gaia legends. Chip is awesomesauce.

Shadow is another character who I feel gets a lot of undue cynicism, and it's not necessarily because I feel he's flawless, but because I feel his interpretations are just habitually overblown into the absolute most negative interpretations possible. The way I see it, Shadow went from a sneaky son of a bitch with a hardwired agenda, to a cocky fellow wrestling with the relevancy of the questions to his past, to a misanthrope now further curious of those questions, to a more settled individual satisfied in the answers and steadfast in his own ethical observations. Nothing that has been inherent to his present development (versus inherent to bad writing or gameplay mechanics) is all that offensive to me. And in general, his personality has been pretty level and defined: a rough-edged introvert who is relatively efficient with his words, thoughts, and actions. I don't feel this is any more try-hard than how characters like Sonic, Knuckles, and Eggman have been written in recent memory, particularly with Boom now on the scene and everything has to be stretched to the breaking point. Overall, I think my biggest hang-up is when people call him whiny, mainly because I don't see how a guy who keeps to himself and is unwilling to share his emotions with anyone as whiny. Cream crying because the TV broken is whiny. I don't know; I guess I'm burnt out on the hate and jokes and just don't see what the big deal is anymore, honestly.

• Thumbs Up 8

30 Days of Sonic Act 2 Day 27: Which characters get a bad rep you feel they don't deserve?

For this question, I'll go with *Drumroll Please* Sliver. Now, you might be saying ''Why did you stupid raccoon thief named Sly Coooper choose Sliver for Day 27 over any other Sonic character? He's so bad!'' -Pretty much every Sonic fan ever. Anyway, I chose him for this because he's, I think anyway, he's hates because he was in a game that's terrible, Sonic 06 which is understandable considering that game is terrible through and through, as we at the Sonic fanbase know. I also think his abilities (You know, his telekinesis abilities). could maybe be used properly if the character is actually used.

Day 27 complete!

Day 27: Which character do I feel gets a bad *LUUUNA.. wait, it has to be a Sonic character right?... fuck* rep that really doesn't deserve it?

Shadow, definitely has to be Shadow. I mean seriously, this character went from being the best thing since Sonic himself (even garnered enough attention for Sonic Team to act like the ending of SA2 never even happened) to the butt of literally every joke. The worst part is that his rep isn't even a Sonic fanbase thing. Most video gamers who only know a little about the series probably know a joke or two towards him. I swear, he's at the center of that "edge" joke/meme.

I honestly don't think he deserves all that. I mean really, he's had some of the best character development in the entire damn series and has certainly had his fair share a great moments. It's a shame that a few bad moments in StH ("Where's that damn 4th chaos emerald?!" and whatnot) were enough to completely discredit him in most peoples' eyes. Add in how fucking non-important he's become over the past couple of games and I really believe he is the most underrated character in the entire series. There's a lot of stuff you can do with him from both a gameplay and story perspective. I can't help but be baffled at how writers and Sonic Team continue to act like he doesn't exists. SA2 understood it. Hell, even 06 understood it to a point. He can and has been done well. I just find most of the hate he gets to be old news, insignificant, or even overblown at points.

Runner Up: Silver- I think the only reason why I didn't choose him instead is mainly because he's only had one real game to prove himself in... and that's 06. Also, I was going to say Cosmo but since no one really talks about her and X I couldn't really say anything...

• Thumbs Up 4

1529586-aamypink_1.png

I am going with Charmy Bee from Chaotix with this because for some reason he is hated bad. I not see anything wrong with Charmy. Some people say his voice is horrible. If somebody in real life had bad voice are you going to hate on them for it? No of course not. Charmy brings life and humor to the Chaotix group and to think people want separate him from the group is unfortunate. I for one find Charmy real useful.

678656.jpg

Next is Cream because she is hated for supposedly being a useless character. I find her very useful and she can fight. Like in Sonic X with Emerl. She is Amy's best friend in the series. She is similar to Sonic and Tails as in Amy and Cream there. Her voice is not that bad. She is polite and well mannered. She has Cheese the Chao with her along adventures. Cream should not be treated the way she does because she is great.

Silver_The_Hedgehog_3.png

Last is Silver because he is hated for being in a terrible game and that basically is his main only hate. They say he is slow but he does have the psychokinesis available. Silver is well liked on youtube videos appearing in many fan made videos usually nice way. Silver deserves another chance since his concept is real interesting idea there. I think Silver deserves his own game as it would be unique and fun experiment with psychokinesis power to use there.

Question 27: Which characters do you feel get a bad rep that they don't deserve? 

I'm going to cheat a bit, and choose a certain version of a game character. 

Sonic the Hedgehog from Sonic The Comic. 

STC60-Sonic.jpg

This is probably one of the most hated version of Sonic out there, and I guess I can see why as he is more...risque than other Sonics. But I don't think he deserves all the hate he gets. He's simply a very interesting take on the character. 

i guess I should start with how he is usually said to "treat everyone else like shit". Usually the biggest offender is Tails, whom Sonic calls Pixel Brain. Now, I know this is not the most flattering name in the world. But I think it's just a little joke, a nickname if you please. Friends and siblings sometimes call each other by nicknames that aren't the most comforting. But it's just a little tease. Plus, Tails doesn't seem to be bothered by it much, if at all. I don't know if I'm going to far, but I wonder if Sonic The Comic Tails actually finds it comforting, in a strange way. Tails is probably very used to the name, and he takes it as part of their friendship. And plus, I don't think Sonic treats Tails or anyone else like shit. He's simply pulling their leg. What 15 year old isn't going to act like an ass towards other people now and then? 

But I should bring up what everyone is thinking about: 

2hq9fzo.jpg

Sonic certainly really didn't mean what he said to Porker, he was just frustrated. He even analogizes to Porker a few pages later, and they make up. The reason why Sonic acted like this is because Nigel Kitching said that Sonic doesn't know how to handle emotions properly, and sometimes what he says is too harsh. I find this to be very relatable. There are people out there who don't know how to handle situations properly and then have a meltdown. It's just something that you aren't really expecting to see from Sonic. He obviously knows Porker isn't weak on the inside, but he's just in a very bad position.

I don't think he's very informed on how you are really supposed to act in public. He probably doesn't realize when he's being inappropriate and harsh until it's too late sometimes.

We already knew at this point that this Sonic was different than the one we knew. He has a quite strange sense of humor, and does all sorts of strange pranks. Just because he was different than the Sonic we know doesn't mean he's a bad character. He's shown many, many, many times how heroic he is and how he will truly never give up. 

I think it's best to just treat this Sonic as a different one all together, and try not to make too many comparisons to SEGA Sonic. 

THIS, 1000% this. People use that very page to "prove" they're right by saying StC Sonic is the worst, but when you show them the following pages showing him talking with Porker, they usually brush it off, because heh, it's easier.

The other on my list would be Big the Cat. Many people hates him because his gameplay isn't just action-action-speed, but I disagree. It was a nice change of pace, and Big is a welcome addition to the Sonic family. He's adorable and has a heart of gold. He's patient, calm and is wise in his own way.

The third one would be Silver. "He's from Sonic 2006 so he's shitty" "look at his marijuana design LOL" "another Sonic recolor"... and the list goes on. For one, I just can't see the "recolor" excuse. Simply compare Sonic and Silver's silhouettes and you'll see plenty of differences. Also, he's a character full of untapped potential. Look at what has been done with him in Archie and STCO and you can see that we here have a character that could do fantastic stuff.

• Thumbs Up 3

Day 27

Honestly, I think Tails, Knuckles, and Amy. They were characters who nobody had a problem with back when they were first introduced but now the sight of them triggers certain gaming media publications (one even complained about the, being playable in Sonic Boom despite being mostly identical to Sonic, but there's a whole other issue there of course). There really isn't anything particularly offensive about these characters, and I feel that they are core to the franchise as they have been around since its infancy and have been further established over time. When people complain about, say, Shadow for instance, I totally get it and somewhat agree. But when it comes to the main crew, there really isn't anything objectively wrong with them in principle. We can't really have a franchise with just Sonic and Eggman.

As for other characters, I think it depends on a character to character basis. There are some characters who are actually pretty good but far out, some characters who are just "meh" and done who just need to be put out of the pasture for good.

I was quite entertained by Marine in Sonic Rush Adventure. Very few things in the series have made me laugh intentionally, but Marine's dialogue consistently delivered, as well as her constantly charging headfirst into the next situation. I also liked her vulnerabilities, the sadness she had knowing she was missing out on some aspects of life, and not wanting Sonic and Tails to leave again after.

Also, I was actually in Australia when I first played the game, which made her dialogue that little bit funnier for me.

• Thumbs Up 1

wIT6gFQ.jpg

Big The Cat.

I get it. He's the slow guy in a series made up of speed. He's from a game that suddendly is getting  lot of bad rep because I don't care. But he's still one of my favourite characters in the series, both in the games and in the Archie comic (seriously, Ian has done wanders to the character. Sure, there's still that thing about the flying airship of doom and justice where everyone spend their free time fighting simulations of old foes like they were the freaking X-Men or some shit like that, but ok, I guess I'm in the minority that thinks that Sonic is not a super-hero.).

Big isn't some kind of stupid dumbass. He reminds me of Goofy, from the Italian Disney comics. Not a moron, just a simple guy enjoying the little things that make life a pleasant experience, who would take fishing all day over fighting for truth, justice, and the American way any day. Heroes, despite his lack of plot, actually showed a side of Big that was just hinted in Adventure, or, at least, only showed whenever Froggy appeared; he truly cares for his friends, especially his best friends Amy & Cream. You could actually see him make an angry face at the Chaotix before their rival battle.

And, yes, everything that has being said about Archie!Comics Big is true. Awesome character.

Big wasn't in Chronicles.

Day 25: Favourite Art Style

Sonic Unleashed. No questions there. It's a nice mix of realism and cartoony visuals that I like about this game. Environments look great, almost like places you could actually visit, but Sonic and the people inhibiting these areas are rather cartoony, to fit in with the series' style. This game just has an amazing style in my opinion. If I could, I'd make every Sonic game with this style. Lost World feels a bit too cartoony and the style looks a tad dull and lazy as a result (to me at least). But Unleashed is a perfect mix to me. Just look at some of this amazing concept art.

Z7drBbG.jpg

The character designs are sooo good!

Day 26: Favourite Non-Game Character

I... um.. to be fair, I don't think I've ever liked any of the non-game characters. The Archie Sonic comics don't have that many great original characters I feel. Or, maybe I haven't read enough stories with them. I guess if I had to make a choice it would be.. Ixus Naugus. He's pretty much the only other awesome, menacing villain aside Eggman in the comics I feel. I've only read a few issues of Ian's run. Like, the earliest I've collected issues is from 218, so I've only seen a few battles of Sonic vs. Naugus but they were rather intense. He's a smart villain that tries to outwit Sonic. Eggman.. he's smart at times but I feel making robots limits him. Naugus has magic, and that can be a lot more threatening. I can't find any flattering pics of him (not that he's good looking anyway) so I'll just leave this question with this paragraph.

Day 27: Character That Gets a Bad Rep But Doesn't Deserve It

Charmy.

Jy8U7od.png

This character always comes to mind when I think of characters people hate for some reason. They call Charmy annoying, or useless. But I like Charmy. I guess my opinion on this is just... well, an opinion. I can't defend him for anything other than I think he's a cute character with a cute personality. In Heroes he tries his best to be a useful member of the team, even though he's a kid. I'd say he's rather brave and smart for his age. Sure, he's hyperactive, but what kid isn't? He hasn't appeared in other games except Knuckles' Chaotix, but since I haven't played that game I can't say what he's like in there. But as far as Heroes goes and Shadow the Hedgehog to some extent.. and Generations if you can count that, I think he's a fun addition to the Sonic cast. I find him to be fun in the comics too, post-reboot. For example, in The Great Chaos Caper story arc. 

Day 27: Which character(s) do you feel get a bad rep that they don't deserve?

Uhhh...a good deal of the cast in general, honestly. 

I can't really think of a specific answer no-one's given before, so I'll just say Shadow. Not caring for him I can see (that goes for any character in anything), but I can't help but feel the hatred he gets is unfounded..

I can forgive the angst considering everything Shadow went through, and frankly I think the "edge" thing is played up by fans--yeah there's some moments in ShTH (and frankly if we use that game to judge characters then we might as well just hate almost everyone, including characters people generally like) but other than that his personality isn't exactly what I think of when I think "edgey". Even his backstory is more tame than people make it out to be. I don't think characters dying fifty years ago in-story is too out there for the series, so I really don't understand the argument I've seen on occasion that, because of that backstory, Shadow is "out of place" in more lighthearted games and/or the series as a whole.

Maybe that's why people are super mad all of a sudden about Rosalina being in more Mario (& Smash) games lately, they can't play as her without thinking of her backstory from Galaxy. It all makes sense!

Day 27: Characters I Don't Think Deserve Their Bad Reputation

I would be easier to list characters I think do deserve their bad reputations.

As far as characters who don't deserve it though I'll just go with the one who gets the worst rap.

Shadow the Hedgehog:

308px-Shadow_3.png

Honestly all the hate towards this guy baffles me. As I see it there are two Shadows, Shadow the character and Shadow the meme. People have an unfortunate tendency to boil each character down to the nearest stereotype removing any nuance from them and often assigning them traits that they never possessed to begin with (e.g. Shadow being whiny or Knuckles being stupid). Shadow in particular has fallen victim to this, being reduced to a parody of himself who acts stereotypically dark for it's own sake and completely ignoring all other aspects of his character, such as his intense loyalty, as well as outside factors which may be influencing his behavior at any given moment. I mean imagine you have amnesia (the only thing you remember is a young girl being gunned down by the military right in front of you), are in the middle of a war zone where everyone wants you dead and are constantly being bombarded with contradictory information about your past from all sides, including the alien invaders, who seem to know you somehow and are using their knowledge of your past as an incentive to follow their agenda. I find it a bit difficult to simply chalk up Shadow's irritability in his own game to "Ow the Edge!" when he has plenty of reasons to be irritable.

• Thumbs Up 2

Another catchup En-Guard! 

Day 26: Favourite Thing from Outside the Games:

TV Boom's World Building

One of the aspects I continue to like about Boom is that it has some sense of consistency. There's no overarching plot but the locations are recurring and make sense. Sonic and Co have specific places to call home, there are places they hang out meanwhile Eggman also has a permanent base. It helps to ground the world just enough for people to get invested but without being so grounded that the plots become restricted in any way.

Compared to the games where Sonic and Co. seem to travel constantly with nowhere to fall back on and Eggman just keeps setting up somewhere new to work.

Day 26: Character with unfair reputation

I really would like to just put "Sonic's friends" in general since they get jumped on by critics the moment they're mentioned but I'd best pick something more specific.

Omochao

I'm going to get harpooned for this aren't I?

Cards on the table, I've never really understood the love-to-hate relationship people have with this guy. Perhaps his voice is annoying to people which is fair enough but other than that, I don't really get it. He debuts in SA2 where he gives you information when you run into him. Now sometimes the game near enough catapults you into him so he's hard to avoid but much of the time you can just walk around him.

Then we get to Heroes where he's now only found in the menus and the tutorial stage. The tutorial stage I'll grant you, he breaks all flow in that stage. I play Heroes in order from right to left on the Team Screen so by the time I get to Team Rose, I'm going for my third run. Despite this, the tutorial is forced upon you and, just to make sure you're listening, the game locks your controls until tin head has finished what he's saying.

He has some roles in games like Riders but he doesn't get a role in the main series again until Generations where you can turn him off completely. 

So, yeah. Thus far, he's had one annoying appearance for me and that's over in a few minutes. Can't complain really.

• Thumbs Up 2

Question #26: Favorite character from outside the games

Old_Man_Owl.png

Considering I don't have any interest in the Sonic comics to speak of, my knowledge of Sonic outside the game canon is somewhat limited. But nonetheless, I have to say this is my favorite character from outside the games...

Old Man Owl.

You read that right, and I shit you not. I loved this guy, and he served his purpose well for being a nice comedic one-off character. The "dumb old man" stereotype may be worn out as hell these days, but Old Man Owl was at least actually funny, at least in my eyes. From his quirky, dorky personality to even trying to be "hip" by wearing sports clothes and doing freestyle, he was one dope owl.

Chip. It's gotta be Chip.

164a67ff5bcc03b51ce91704b616eb2f.gif

...Oh wait, not this Chip.

012313_0319_Personagens3.png

Now we're playing with power. From the moment I got Sonic Unleashed when it came out, I've never understood the great animosity for Chip. Even if he does have his fans, the hate for him is still quite vocal. He's been called out for "stealing" the role of Sonic's best friend from Tails in Unleashed, having a high-pitched and grating voice, and another one of "Sonic's crappy friends" that do nothing but stuff up the plot and be a nuisance through out.

Well, I gotta disagree with most of those common complaints, as I've always been fond of the little guy (or Gaia, hehehe). His character arc I thought was well done, and the friendship that progressed throughout Unleashed's story felt genuine, not to mention adorable. Plus, I can always relate to anybody who's obsessed with chocolate, because chocolate is absolutely dope. He absolutely kicked ass when he revealed himself as Light Gaia, seeing him create a Colossus out of all the Gaia Temples at the game's climax was fucking awesome. Even if he's sleeping for a million years now, he will be back one day. I'm calling it now. B)

But real talk, his last words to Sonic at the end of Unleashed were pretty touching, showing that he'll always be with Sonic and be his friend, even if he's away from him. I recommend you praise Chip, our flying dog overlord.

• Thumbs Up 5

Day 25: Unleashed takes the cake

While I would say that the other modern games would fit the similar art style, the way the characters (In particular, the humans) look just feels so right. The reason why humans in previous Sonic games just felt off was because of how realistic they look. In Unleashed, they fit the cartoony look of the world. It has this kind of cel-shading feel that makes it look timeless. It still looks great to this day.

Day XXVII: Unloved

I know I'll get laughed at for this REALLY controversial pick, but...

Lara-Su.

Lara-Su was an interesting character. She was a good concept, of Knuckles having a child to carry on his lineage, showing that on Mobius, life goes on. These aren't cartoons trapped in amber: they're real, breathing people in a fantasy world. Her roles in the present-day stories as Jani-Ca added another side to her character rarely seen anywhere else in the franchise. She's also a cool ringleader for her troop of FFs.

Also, I feel the hate on Sonic's entire supporting cast by mainstream gamers is unwarranted at this point, as plenty of similar, even crappier supporting casts appear in many video games. These characters aren't really used anymore, stop beating a dead horse!

• Thumbs Up 1

err... i don't know.... hmm...

Sally Acorn...the old and the new one.

there is some very unfair reasons why some people explain the hates to her..

such as the old design, the new design, her love with Sonic, the love with other characters, because she is naked, because she is not naked, that  acourding to them she is a Mary-sue etc etc..

i used to dislike her becasue silly reasons..... but.. with the time.. i started to understand that my dislike was pointless... and now i really like this character.. i see the cool and awesome character she is..

too bad that sometimes she got bad writing at the comics... but that's not this character's  fault...when she started be well written everything went right...  but there is still people who does not stand her.. and it think she doesn't deserve such reception..

• Thumbs Up 1