Awoo.

Dr. Crusher Presents: The 30 Days of Sonic the Hedgehog Mk.II (Daft and Tolerating It)-PAGE 72, FIN

Dr. Crusher

Question #27: Which character(s) do you feel get a bad rep that they don't deserve?

Pretty much all of the non-classic era characters - barring a couple of notable exceptions, of course. So much criticism is aired towards them and I can't understand it. Mario introduces new characters and they all pretty much have paper thin personalities, yet no one bitches about them. I dun geddit. The only times I've really understood it in a couple of notable examples where you're forced to play as the character and it sucks - like Big in Adventure, for instance. Other than that, I've never understood the issue with adding more characters to the series. Not all of them are good, but jesus christ, not all of them are bad and I feel like seeing Sonic, Tails, and Eggman do the exact same thing every game would get dull after a bit.

• Thumbs Up 4

Question #27: Which character(s) do you feel get a bad rep that they don't deserve?

Mario introduces new characters and they all pretty much have paper thin personalities, yet no one bitches about them. I dun geddit. 

Paper thin personalities don't leave much room to annoy the player. It's as simple as that, really.

Day 27: Which character(s) do you feel get a bad rep that they don't deserve?

RZ4nV3w.jpg?2

Pretty much everyone from the cast from the Sonic the Hedgehog series bar Sonic, Tails and Dr. Eggman. I know what term they are constantly referred to, but I refuse to acknowledge it as I feel they don't deserve to be referred to such a thing as well as it being excessively harsh. I never have seen Sonic's friends as such, and I never will see Sonic's friends as such. Saying that Sonic's friends need to either die off or disappear annoys me as I think they are all definitely worth something and I don't think that they need to go away by any means. Each any every one of them has their charm and appeal; that's why you see fans among the fanbase for every single one of them. I can say a couple of positive things about each and every one of the characters in the Sonic cast but I will do just a few from the main cast and beyond:

Silver the Hedgehog
tElAqTv.png?1

Silver unfortunately has had a target on his back since he arrived on the Sonic scene in 2006 with the terribad Sonic game that he debuted in and that is why I feel that is a major factor as to why Silver has a bad rep. That, and his design, which I have no problem with. Which is a shame seeing that Silver has an abundance of positive qualities such as his kindness his willingness to help others for starters.

Silver also is well-meaning, driven by a strong sense of justice, brave, courageous, friendly and loyal. No matter what massive tasks he may have on hand, Silver is an optimist with a positive attitude and will do whatever it is required of him to protect the world in determination as well as a selfless manner. Silver wears his heart on his sleeve and is not afraid to express his emotions. Sure he is naive and immature but I feel those flaws make him endearing. I don't understand why a character with so much potential, personality and heart gets so much flak. I really don't.

Big the Cat
yuPlwQD.png?1

Sure Big is slow and really easy-going in comparison to majority of the cast, but there is nothing wrong with that. Sometimes you have to slow down and take it easy and Big gets it for starters. Big has a heart of gold marked by qualities such as being caring, unselfish, loyal, reliable, remaining calm in any given situation, always encouraging his friends, and definitely brave.

And don't let Big's slow thinking fool you; he's very intelligent and can even fly an airplane! And Big's skills with a fishing rod is a force to be reckoned with. Just because Big is laid-back and isn't no where near as fast as others, that certainly doesn't negate Big's fine qualities and heroic moments as well.

Stepping outside of the main cast in the Sonic Series...

Chip
tyzOvuC.png?1

He's accused of being annoying and useless but that is far from the truth. For starters, Chip has a story behind him (and an interesting one at that!), has a purpose, has a personality and had even allowed some of Sonic's characterization to shine through among their interactions among the story and is absolutely adorable. Chip was an awesome companion that was both helpful and entertaining without being an interference during Sonic's worldwide adventure.

Speaking of Chip's personality, it's an endearing one as Chip is cheery, playful, silly, helpful, generous with his numerous offerings of chocolate, and very appreciative of opportunities given to him such as being able to explore and experience the many amazing things here on Earth. Was Sonic traveling around the world with someone other than Tails as his main companion a problem? Don't get me wrong, as Sonic and Tails' friendship is where it is at, but it was really nice to see Sonic hanging out with and embarking on an adventure with someone else. That someone in Sonic Unleashed happened to be Chip. Bonus points for Chip saving Sonic's life several times throughout the game as well as the entire planet.

Sally Acorn
KGFq2q2.png?2

Sally's reputation seems to puzzle me the most out of all the characters in the Sonic franchise as I definitely don't feel she deserves it more than anyone else in the entire franchise. Does it have something to do with Amy/romance with Sonic at the very least or the fact that she is part of the SatAM continuity? I don't like all of these continuities in the Sonic universe either but it is what it is. Even if that is the case and whatever else it is, I don't see how that adds up to Sally not having a favorable reputation.

Flaws and personality issues aside, the princess, who does not act as such as if she is superior to others and is very down to earth, has a lot more positive qualities where that came from. In fact, I went in lengthy detail about Sally's positive qualities per my post for DAY 26 as well as mentioning why she is one of my favorite characters overall.

Sticks the Badger
uH0Ajoa.png?1

I'm mentioning Sticks because I've seen a lot of comments basically saying that she is random and annoying and therefore unnecessary. I know she is paranoid, wacky, and part of the unnecessary Sonic Boom sub-series among other things, but I feel the newcomer Sticks has really gotten the shaft in regards to reputation as I feel her positive qualities have definitely been overshadowed by her not-so-positive ones.

She brings humor and surprises to the Sonic Boom universe by means of her energetic and animated personality which are invaluable as is her loyalty to her friends Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Amy. Sticks is very tolerant in regards to technology and is willing to step outside her comfort zone in order to learn something new and hang out with her friends. Sticks' instincts and combat and survival skills are unparalleled. And as crazy as her theories are, Sticks more times than none tends to be right at the end. Sticks brings a unique an interesting dynamic to the Sonic series by means of her quirks and personality and I really like her :)
  • Thumbs Up 6

Day 27: Which character(s) do you feel get a bad rep that they don't deserve?

Rise of L- wait games aren't characters

Yeah, probably Silver though. I think this is more me pining for him to be used more to his full potential than him actually being good in some instances and not being recognized for it, but I think he's legitimately pretty cool, potleaf hairdo aside. He can fly with energy, shoot energy blasts when the story feels like it, throw stuff around, lag the game at will, and he beat the crap out of Sonic. Plus he's basically Future Trunks. And I like Future Trunks.

I not feeling so well today, but I still want to stop by and drop this here for the time being.

Day #25: Which of the franchise’s art style do you like the most?

Sonic Unleashed & Sonic Generations

SUGuri6.jpg

As I’ve mentioned before on another thread (which probably got lost into the server wipe), but I really love the look of the townsfolk as they look so Disney/Pixar-esque in their designs and I wished SEGA/Sonic Team would use them again.  I feel like this just fits right with the current style of Sonic and wouldn’t so much stick out in the slightest. If we’re gonna have human NPCs in Sonic games to interact to then I would much rather prefer that they continue using this style more than the whole realistic style crap with cartoon animal characters (looking at you 06…)

tumblr_nds8aeuO8r1ssrhpyo1_1280.jpg

Sonic Unleashed took inspiration from real life locations from around the globe and gave them their own sense of identity to make them feel like Sonic-like, as if Sonic’s really running through the streets of London/Italy/Paris, the African Savannah, the Antarctic region or even the Great Wall of China. Also the vibrant tone of the game’s style just really brings the environments to life, every single one of them. I mean look it at.

Sonic-Generations-Screenshots-8.jpg

Sonic Generations did an outstanding job with bring the classic environments from previous games and just bring them to absolute visual glory. I really appreciate on how they managed to put a great amount of detail to each level, giving them their identity and appeal. I just really love them!

Question #26: What is your SINGLE most favourite aspect/character/etc to come out of any non-game media?

Monsterniks.jpg

Scratch, Grounder and Coconuts from Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog as these three were such a huge highlight for me as they would get together and try to take down Sonic and Tails. This is like my favorite trio, like in the way of Sonic, Tails and Knuckles because I feel like they bounce off each other really well and have such a dynamic chemistry. I also like that they actually reappeared in the Archie comic since it was such nostalgia to see those three again.

The Runner up for me would have to be:

char_18401.jpg

Old Man Owl from Sonic the Hedgehog OVA. Because he so much dang fun to watch during the movie, he may not be in it much as far as I can remember, but I still get laughs out of this guy.

Silver the Hedgehog

2023892-794px_9._silver_the_hedgehog.png

Alright, I’ll be honest here. He’s one of my favorite Sonic characters in series and I really hate how Silver has been degraded down to Mr. ITS NO USEZ!! Or Pothead the Porcupine since he made his unfortunate debut appearance in Sonic 06. His powers alone can make him one of the most powerful Sonic characters in the series, since I love the idea of using telekinesis in a game, if done properly. He is a character that really has the potential of being a really great character and his chemistry seems to work, I just wished they would expand more upon that.

Big the Cat

Sonic_Channel_-_Big_the_Cat_2013.png

I really don’t get why people treat Big like shit sometimes, I mean every time he ever so made a presence, people would just react negatively. Also, they think he’s mentally slow or something. Okay, so his presence and gameplay in Sonic Adventure were really unnecessary and unneeded but I assume it’s just because he’s like the pace breaker to get you relaxed after all of the intense action, which is nice and everything. I think even the Archie comic series are actually showing more love than Sonic Team/SEGA as he is actually treated like someone who has purpose and can really be a big (lel) help to Sonic and friends when needed. So, I saw absolutely nothing wrong with Big, maybe this improper debut appearances of his did some damage to his reputation for the crowd, same with Silver. I like Big, he’s a pretty swell cat and I just wished SEGA didn’t have to waste this character since he has potential to do better, just like every other Sonic character in the series that isn’t Sonic, Tails and Dr. Eggman.

• Thumbs Up 2

Who do I think gets a bad rep they don't deserve?

This guy;

Chip.png

People call Chip useless or think he 'stole' Tails' role as Sonic's friend. Okay, first off, newsflash everyone; people are allowed to have more than one close friend. Chip did not steal anyone's role. Especially since we got some nice bromance between Sonic and Tails in Colors a couple years later. And I liked his backstory - it actually was kind of tragic that despite being alive since the beginning of time and being one who helps heal the world every millenia or so, he never really knew anything about it. And I quite enjoyed his friendship with Sonic. =)

• Thumbs Up 3

You know, I have to ask, what is the general reaction to Knuckles? I rarely see him praised this day and age, which is unfortunate. He's easily my second favorite character in the franchise, going off the comic books.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm going to say Sticks, I can understand where some people are  coming from, but I don't think she's too bad.

She's good for lighting up the mood and she does have a good joke every now and then (The "You can't kill me" one comes to mind.)

Plus she has a interesting  background that I don't recall any other Sonic character having.

I do wish she did more and we get to learn more about her, but we'll just have to see about that in the future.

• Thumbs Up 2

~SSMB Has Cleared Character Defending Culiciform Act 27!~

"You don't have to tell me twice! But during the Stone Age!" - Christopher Walken, Fever of an Absolution (Звук умные, когда я говорю на русском языке)

Question #28: Which boss(es) do you feel deserve more recognition?

hqdefault.jpg

I know it's not the most complex one out there, but I could go on forever about how influential this final battle was for me.

Perfect Chaos. Doomsday Zone. Metal Sonic's race in Stardust Speedway. Sonic versus Shadow on the A.R.K. The classic Checker Wrecker in Green Hill. These are just a few examples of the most recognised boss encounters in the Sonic franchise, whether it be due to how action packed they are, how much they speak about the characters involved, or simply for how iconic they are. As always though, you then have those boss fights that aren't quite as widely remembered by the majority, or if they are remembered, they aren't looked upon as fondly... or they're just considered alright but not that big of a deal compared to some other boss that may or may not be in the same game. But if we all have our own underdog characters, and our own underdog games, then surely we have our own underdog bosses, right? Right? Right. So which confrontation of fisticuff jousting do you find to be overlooked, and why?

Crusher's Thoughts: There are actually a large amount that come to mind, but there's no way I can mention them all here, so for my main choice, I'll go with every single boss fight in Sonic Rush Adventure. (They do have their fans, but I don't think they're nearly as recognised as the likes of, say, the Final Hazard and Solaris.) You know you're playing a special kind of game when the very first boss of the game is a mechanical T-Rex, and the crazy times only go from there; you play catch with the Ghost Pendulum, you go inside the Ghost Whale, you chase down the Ghost Condor, you have the climactic fight with Whisker and Johnny set to slapstick comedy music, and then when Robotnik (and Nega) shows up, he's now able to use magic wizard powers thanks to the Jeweled Scepter, even though the game up to this point was all about pirates and definitely not about wizards. I love all the bosses in this game, and I think they deserve a little more appreciation all around.

Another underdog boss that I really like is the Final Zone from the original Sonic the Hedgehog, in that I find the idea of the room itself being the boss to be really interesting, especially for what was the very first final boss in the series. In a way, it delves into how much of a crafty and devious mind Robotnik has, and in that regard, I wouldn't mind seeing a spiritual successor to the idea behind the Final Zone in a later game.

Then there's one Sonic Advance choice that I would like to bring up: the Egg Spider. That would be this one.

Sonic_Advance_boss_es.png

Maybe it's not that special or grand, but I think this boss fight has a unique use of underwater platforming, seeing how I don't think any other underwater bosses in Sonic games have involved anything like this (Labyrinth doesn't count, as it wasn't an actual fight). And out of all the bosses in this game, this one is probably the most interesting in regards to the varied advantages and disadvantages that each character has when fighting it. Also,

that this game utilises works really effectively for this encounter, and not just because, you know, water.

Actually, you know what? Let me mention another Sonic Advance choice: Mecha Knuckles, mainly for how random it was when you think about it, which is almost impressive in a way given how a Knuckles-related boss battle should logically be random in anywhere but a zone named Angel Island. Mecha Knuckles doesn't appear to be all that important to the grand scheme of Advance's plot, he never showed up again after this appearance, he doesn't even appear to be related to Metal Knuckles from Sonic R, but apparantly the game wanted you to fight a cybernetic Knuckles copy anyway, because why not. Sound reasoning to me. He certainly looked cool, and come on, how can you not respect someone who models their projectile vomit in the form of missiles?

One last choice: the Stone Guardian from Sandopolis Act 1.

sk-sz-boss1img6.png

Muppet.

So with that out of the way, you may now post awaaaaaayyyy!~

• Thumbs Up 5

I don't know how underrated a lot of the bosses are, but I rarely see Super Mecha Sonic brought up:

Super_Mecha_Sonic.png

I thought this was a really cool concept.

• Thumbs Up 5

Question 28: Which bosses do you feel deserve more recognition? 

This boss I feel is almost never talked about. The Flame Mobile from Angel Island Zone from Sonic 3. 

320px-FlameMobile.png

This is probably the most underrated first act 2 boss in the classic series. Sonic 1's first boss is quite known because of how iconic it is and it's the first boss in the whole series. Sonic 2, and I'll also say CD's bosses are talked about because of how easy they are. You never hear much about poor old Flame Mobile. 

I think this is the best first act 2 boss of the Classic Series and probably of any Sonic game. First of all, it's more challenging and more fun to fight than the other classic bosses. Sonic 2 and CD's bosses are jokes and in Sonic 1's boss is pretty easy too. Now I'm not saying this boss is hard, but it is a little notch up from the others. 

First of all, it sometimes flies over pits, so watch that you don't fall down there. Also, you have to watch your jump because it shoots fireballs that can really get into your way sometimes. And yes, I do know that you can just keep bouncing on it, but I fight fair, dammit. 

Also, I think it's badass. You first see it flying in the background. Then you make it to the waterfall, and then BOOOSH. It's right there, and it destroys the bridge. It has a slightly more threatening design than the other first bosses. Those flamethrowers on the front look awesome, and I guess it's just got more bulk than the others. 

It's not the most exciting boss ever, but it really makes a good impression that the Eggmobile was going to have some more deadly designs. It certainly is the best first act 2 boss in the series IMO. 

Also, when you fight it, it's the first time you get to hear the best boss music of all time. That helps. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Truthfully not sure about this here. I am going with the Final Fight boss in Sonic 3D Blast. I find this boss to be unique in that you have to go through 10 boss fights in order to defeat it. There are 5 different bosses in one all dealing with Dr. Robotnik in various stages in game play. I would say it deserves more recognition since the boss fight was somewhat unique. Particularly with the blinking lights on the floor when you move. The setting was in dark place as well than. That is about all I got for my choice of topic.

Day 28: Which boss do I feel deserves more recognition:

I've always been a fan of the Big Arm mech (or, as the Fleetway comics call it, the Squeeze-Tag Machine) I honestly don't get why it was removed when you lock on Sonic & Knuckles; it would have been the perfect way to cap off Act I of Sonic 3&K!

It's also a great fight in Generations 3DS, mostly because of the incredible music!

• Thumbs Up 1

Can we use bosses from fan games?

Cause if so, I want this guy:

XlaYfcl.gif

If not, then I'd probably say Mecha Knuckles.

2422873-mechaknux.png
It was a nice fakeout, because when you first spotted him, he was pink and yellow, sort of just a slightly off-color Knuckles. And, assuming you weren't playing as Knuckles first, you thought it was some story fight against the real Knuckles.

Then WHAM! You beat him a few hits and he turns into this thing. And he starts shooting missiles OUT OF HIS MOUTH!

Like, that was the most random thing they could have done in the game and I love it!
  • Thumbs Up 5

Day 28: Which bosses do you feel deserve more recognition?

For this question, I'll honestly say the Egg Viper from Sonic Adventure. Yes, more Sonic Adventure. Yes, the boss might be easy, It only seems hard because it's long. All that stuff. However, I mainly chose it because of it's design and how interesting it seems with all the spikes around the thing and the spike in the middle. It seems like the game tries to make you fear the boss. 

Day 28 complete!

Ook a day late but hey, got here just in time!

Question #27 - Character I feel is underrated/hated

I think if you've been following all the other answers, this one would be pretty obvious, huh? But I will do something different for the sake of variety...

Shadow the Hedgehog - Ever since SA2 Shadow can't seem to catch a break... His return in Heroes raised some eyebrows, then Shadow the Hedgehog, or Ow The Edge, as it's known, just ruined any chances he had of character rerailment. And 06 gave him a great personallity, more on that later, but, well, IT'S 06, everyone overlooks that, because IT'S 06. And ever since then, Shadow just became the Edgy guy, his character, his backstory everything was pretty much forgotten and ignored.

Shadow has an excellent backstory, yes it's dark, but it can lead to so many interesting interactions or plotlines. But the problem is, people feel Shadow can't show up without the emotional wreck of his past, 06 did a great example of how to write Shadow without having him go ''MARIAAAAA MY PAST WAS HORRIBLE, HUMANITY SUUUCKS'', he's the straight guy, he's the rival who gets shit done, while Sonic is focusing on the problem at hand, Elise being(Constantly) kidnapped by Eggman, Shadow saw the big picture and went after the MAIN bad guy, he saw right through everything Mephiles threw at him, kept digging deeper and deeper on the whole incident that caused the plot of the game, and kept making the right assumptions about what was happening and what they should do next. But he's  not a bland one note character, no, he's shown to care about Rouge and Omega, and how his faith in humanity is restored, he doesn't care if they'll hunt him in the future, he'll just keep fighting against all the odds to make the world a good place, with or without the approval of others, he's not too full of himself to not accept help from the other, he doesn't care who helps, as long as they, well, HELP, and during the entire thing, his teamwork with Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and even Silver, all went smooth and without any problems, and he also gets a bit cocky around Sonic, as shown when he answers Sonic's joke about being late.

He also works for GUN, the closest thing the Sonic world has for a SHIELD, the ammount plotlines that can come from this is countless.

Shadow is indeed overrated and over-hated(Ha!), but he's still a character full of potential that could bring something unique to the series if given the chance.

Question #28 -  Boss I think deserves more recognition?

OK I MANAGED TO SPEND ONE QUESTION WITHOUT PRAISING THE DEADLY SIX! NOW I SHALL... Praise... The Deadly Six... Oh...

SLW_Wii_U_Zavok_Fight_05.png

Sonic Lost World - Zavok's Second Boss Battle

Ok so, this battle is infamous for it's ''guide dang it'' moment of how the fuck do I kill him, but the setting, the build up, the battle itself, for the most part, is beautifully played.

For starters, we've never seen Zavok fighting before, all we've seen is him talking and acting full of himself, almost as if he's all talk and no action.

Then, as Sonic's friends DIE, Tails is ABOUT TO BE TURNED INTO A ROBOT, AND SONIC'S ENTIRE WORLD IS SLOWLY DYING, Zavok just shows up and mocks Sonic, and challenges him to reach him so they can fight.

After a pretty challenging platforming section, on a sky temple that's falling appart, in the middle of a thunderstorm, while a creepy soundtrack pretty much settles the mood, you get to Zavok, his Mech Dragon? It's the arena you're standing right now so for 95% of the battle, Zavok won't be counting on the dragon, he'll be doing everything on his own, what does he say before the fight begins? He snaps his fingers, stretches and goes ''Now, don't break too easy on me!''. Just fucking awesome.

Then this starts playing

This epic, chills worthy theme, that shows shit just got real, your friends are dying, everything is going to hell, and now you have a chance to deliver your complains to the big bad that caused all that.

So, his attack pattern isn't too much epic, he punches, he dashes, he activates lasers on the dragon, and he tries to cut off pieces of it to make you fall, but what makes him look like a badass, is the fact that you can't just homing attack him, no, you can't hurt him at all by yourself, and this game has shown how overpowered Sonic has become, but no, he can block all of your attacks, and breaking his shield will only push him a bit, throwing him at lasers also doesn't kill him, he's just shocked for a few instants, nothing else. So the ONLY WAY you can beat Zavok is by literally THROWING HIM OFF THAT DRAGON INTO A BOTTOMLESS PIT.

AND HE NOT ONLY SURVIVES BUT ACTS AS IF NOTHING HAPPENED.

It's kinda sad most people only remember this fight for it's difficulty, I honestly remember it for being an epic clash the game's been building up to since Zavok took over Eggman's plan.

Day 28: Which bosses do you feel deserve more recognition?

Kind of a hard one since a lot of the Sonic bosses are kind of meh for me. But there is one I will talk about.

perfect-chaos-4.png

''But Ryan! That boss is mentioned a good few times!''

While Perfect Chaos isn't the hardest fight ever, or even the most fun, the amount of build up and the large scale of the whole thing makes it one true milestone in Sonic's life. Compared to the other big bosses like the unbelievably cheap Death Egg Robot and the annoying Biolizard, Perfect Chaos honestly doesn't get all the praise it should get, especially with what it showed off and what it did.

All throughout Sonic Adventure, it's been built up what Chaos would be like one he got his hands on all 7 chaos emeralds, and we got a very brief glimpse from the intro cutscene. But what the game does is give Chaos a reasonable backstory and set up so we can get to know the character and realize it isn't evil, just corrupted. We see how much damage Chaos can do. But just as it looks like Sonic managed to stop Chaos, it turns out he's back and badder than ever. 

Then we get the awesome fight that a lot of people didn't think they'd get after the boring Adventure bosses. Perfect Chaos, showing off how Sonic can do some amazing bosses in 3D and showing off the power of the Dreamcast as Super Sonic blasts through a devastated Station Square all the while Open Your Heart plays in the background and makes everything sound more epic. It's all good.

But you know what, I feel that could be cheating a little. So I'll instead go with a version of this boss who should be getting a lot more praise.

sonic_g__perfect_chaos_2_by_silversonicv

Now the Generations version of Perfect Chaos most definitely needs more praise than what he gets. Chaos' design has been heavily altered and improved from his original design, and the level has been adjusted to have some great platforming sections along with the original boss fight fans loved from the beginning, all with Open Your Heart playing again, but it also shows something great for Sonic. A contrast.

In the original Sonic Adventure, Sonic needed to use his Super form to defeat Perfect Chaos but in Generations, we actually see that Sonic, his speed, and power has grown since Adventure, managing to defeat Perfect Chaos in his normal form without the use of Chaos Emeralds. That just shows how awesome Sonic got. On top of that, the boss fight is just a whole ton of fun. Now let's just remember one thing.

tumblr_inline_niwew68vDA1t0b0ca.jpg

''ALL'S WELL THAT ENDS WELL :D'' - Tails

• Thumbs Up 4

I feel like the Final Zone, Barrier Eggman and the final bosses of the 8-bit Sonic 2 and Triple Trouble are unique ones due to being an entire room as your enemy. Like Crusher said, they're nice variations on how Eggman will attempt to kill Sonic. Other than them, I guess there's Zavok's second fight in Lost World - you enter the fight and you're not greeted with the Deadly Six's theme, but an intimidating track that fts the mood perfectly - it's Sonic's darkest hour, he's in a stormy night area and now he's fighting the Zeti's imposing leader. Who fights him barehanded ontop of a long robot dragon. That is pure awesome right there.

• Thumbs Up 2

Question 26: Non-Game Character?

Obviously it would be the Lara-Su characters back in the early days from the comics

Muttski. Ben Muttski, whatever you want to call him. This guy.

*His current version*

New_Muttski.png

Come on, aren't dogs just adorable? It's silly seeing a hedgehog having a pet dog but I digress, dogs are the man (or should I say hedgehog)'s best friend. I like dogs. You put a dog in anything, there's a chance it'll be my favorite character (JK, but seriously though, if Sam from 'Sam & Max' was something else he probably wouldn't had been as entertaining).

He's like any pet dog, just a loving companion to their owners, in particular, Sonic the Hedgehog. Seeing the Genesis-Wave version isn't that bad actually. He hasn't been shown a lot in the reboot comic yet but his redesign seems to make him fit better as a "mobian". I really like this character and I hope that he'll be expanded upon as the comic leaves the Worlds Unite crossover.

I need to catch up on the comics haha

Question 27: Bad Rep for some reason?

I was stuck between Silver and Chip. On one hand, Silver was a character who was introduced with poor writing/execution as well as simply debuting in a bad game. On the other hand, I don't get why people don't like Chip, since he's just such a likable character that's probably had the best character development I've seen in a Sonic game thus far. I'll go with Chip then.

chara_chip.gif

What the hell is he even

Why is there hate for this guy again? I thought that he was a pretty good side character in Unleashed and had legitimately good character development, especially for a character that begins with the *used so many times* trope of being a amnesiac. His voice direction and his writing are great for him, he sounds right, and he's a entertaining character throughout. While I can understand why people think that he sort of took away Tails' impact in Unleashed, it's not like Chip himself is a bad character (Unlike *Cough Cough* a little THORNdyke *cough cough*). He had really solid character development, and his relationship with Sonic felt really genuine. The story of Unleashed made Chip a walking plot device, which was not a bad thing, because in the end he's such a likable character.

Such a shame that we won't see him in a main Sonic title probably ever again, but I feel like his closure in Unleashed didn't need a continuation. The ending of Sonic Unleashed was a great closure to the adventures of Sonic and Chip, so I'm perfectly fine with how it is.

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 28: Unrecognized Bosses

To be honest I've never really seen boss fights as a particularly strong point for the series. That's not to say their all bad, and there are certainly several which stand out as being great. Of course there are terrible ones too, for every Biolizard there's a Silver. For the most part though, Sonic bosses just aren't anything to write home about, they're generally either too bland or too easy to leave much of an impression. There is one however that I feel deserves more recognition than it gets (or at least deserves recognition for reasons other than the ones it actually gets it for). That boss is...

EGG VIPER

egg-viper.png

"Get a load-"... eh, you know the rest.

This guy is generally better remembered for the meme it created than the actual boss itself, that's a shame because the fight is actually a really good one. There are several reasons why I love the Egg Viper, the first is that his difficulty level is spot on, he's the final boss of Sonic's story and he offers exactly the kind of challenge you'd expect from a boss carrying that distinction. I also like how it adapts 2D boss tropes into a 3D environment. You don't generally see strategies like using parts of the boss itself as platforms to reach its weak point, or the classic jump on the buzz saws to strike its head in 3D games, but Egg Viper somehow manages to pull it off.

Another thing I like about him is the fact that he changes his tactics as the fight wears on, and I don't mean that he just slightly modifies his existing patterns or throws in a few new ones, I mean that he actually replaces his old patterns with new ones, which are not only much more dangerous but also require you to figure out a new way to hit him. As an added bonus said strategy changes actually fit with the character of Adventure Era Eggman, at first he's acting like his usual bombastic self, leaving his cockpit wide-open just so he can taunt Sonic. When things stop going his way however he cuts the crap and starts using far more lethal tactics, betraying the cold, brutal, efficiency that makes Eggman a genuine threat despite his clownish exterior, and of course there's his infamous suicide attack which comes out after you score the last hit and caught me, and many others, totally off guard the first time, and which just goes to show how tenacious the good doctor is. It's a subtle thing but it's a great example of the symbiotic relationship between gameplay and story; demonstrating how story can supplement and create context for gameplay elements, and how gameplay can be used to establish and enhance story elements in turn.

Finally no boss battle is complete without a kickass tune to go with it, and boy does Egg Viper deliver big time...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSjFjgwM2yE

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 28: Which boss(es) do you feel deserve more recognition?

EGG-HVC-001.pngEGG-HVC-goodfuture.png

I honestly really love Sonic CD's bosses.

Granted the final boss was rather boring, but aside from that I genuinely appreciate how unique the fights were. If you don't manage to run behind the first boss you have to bounce off the bumpers a few times to get rid of them, which isn't hard at all but always amuses me, the second boss used to frustrate me but nowadays the pinball bit isn't so bad and makes for a decent challenge (in my opinion), Tidal Tempest's boss is an interesting twist on the good ol air bubbles with Eggman using them as a shield, Quartz Quadrant's boss having you use Sonic's speed to melt the floor out from under him is pretty clever, and Wacky Workbench's vertical chase (which isn't too odd for platforming bosses, but needing to use the debris bouncing off the ever-present bouncing floors fits in well with the rest of the stage).

Then there's the Metal Sonic race which is the one people always talk about. While I do see people's problems with CD's gimmicky bosses, I love them a lot and feel they stick out in a positive way compared to most bosses in the series that tend to just be attack attack attack and so on and so on alright you're done".

Runners up:

• I'm surprised to see others who love the second fight with Zavok. I honestly wish it had been the final fight with him instead of what we got since not only is it better than the third fight in general, but it feels more climactic.
  • (Super) Mecha Sonic in S(3)&K. The character as a whole is overlooked in favor of Metal Sonic, which is a shame since it's a really cool fight, especially as Knuckles when Mecha goes Super.
  • Thumbs Up 2

Triple threat time! My single most favorite aspect to come out of non-game media is...

3589gkx.jpg

Sonic's Unified World (Archie)

I just LOVE this aspect of the post-reboot Archie comics. In the past, Ian Flynn tried everything that he could to make the old world of the comic and the Zones and settings from the games gel in a way that made them feel like one unified world and he did a pretty good job of it, but it still didn't quite line up right thanks in no small part to the machinations of previous writers. However, when given the chance to start over with pretty much a clean slate, he created something fantastic. A world that truly felt like the different Zones and general locations from the games could all exist in one place at the same time. A world where humans and anthros lived side-by-side without any stupid alien genocide backstory or conveniently hidden away cities full of people springing up out of nowhere. A world that's just fun to look at and watch the characters explore. This was a world that just screamed "Sonic." And what better way to show it off than by making the first storyline post-reboot a Sonic Unleashed adaptation? I don't know about you guys, but I just can't wait to see more of this place.

As for underrated characters...

2s8ihs2.jpg

Silver

I feel like Silver gets too much of a bad rep. Sure, he debuted in one of the worst and most infamous games in the franchise. Sure, he was the poster boy for one of the most annoying, broken boss fights IN that game. Sure, he can seem kind of stupid sometimes either through logic or the way he carries out his objectives. But that aside, I actually really like his character. I admire his drive to set everything right no matter what, I think his powers are really cool, I enjoy his kinda awkward personality when paired with other characters like Espio, and I like his voice no matter the game. His Archie counterpart even had a really great storyline going for him pre-reboot until it got Pendered out of existence. So yeah, I'd call myself a Silver fan. Is he my absolute favorite character? No. There are definitely others that rank higher, but I've never really found him annoying or offensive or anything aside from said boss fight. I think maybe what he needs to truly shine is another big role in a game to show what he can be under better writers. If there's one thing you can definitely say about Silver, it's that he has a lot of potential and I hope that he gets a chance to gain some more love in the future. He could definitely use it.

Finally, an overlooked boss...

Any Knight of the Round Table Battle (Sonic & the Black Knight)

These fights are one of the coolest parts of SatBK and I feel that they aren't brought up nearly enough. Not only do they switch up the gameplay a bit by changing to a more action-focused cinematic angle, but they require an entirely new method of strategy, as you'll need to spot the weaknesses and openings in each of the Knights' techniques and also figure out how best to utilize your precious Soul Surge. With the way you have to analyze your foe's moves, it really gives you the feeling that you're ACTUALLY dueling someone and I LOVE that about it.

• Thumbs Up 5

Day XXVIII: Battles Untold

Generations Death Egg Robo was an inventive and cinematic battle that felt very inventive. Riding on the extended arms to hit the head felt so satisfying, as did hitting his exposed rump to make him collapse. Combine that with the S4E1 added attacks for a truly great Death Egg Robo.

I've already discussed Nega Mother Wisp, but the incidental Secret Rings bosses all felt unique and thrilling, each with a different tactic that truly made the world come alive. Especially that pirate slime one, which implies he could come back. I would have wanted to see additional bosses for the other levels: a bigass dinosaur for Dino Jungle, the Ruhk for Levitated Ruin, and a mega-sized skeletal warrior for Skeleton Done.

Day 28: Overlooked Bosses

Lancelot Returns.

After being a complete pushover the first time you fought him, seeing Shadow return as an insanely difficult boss who requires pretty fast reflexes was a nice touch.

I think it's nice that SEGA must have reasoned it wasn't right for Sonic's modern rival to go down so easily... so they turned him into Sephiroth in his optional fight. His usage of Chaos abilities was considerably impressive, and until you've got your timing down just right, you need every single one of those hits you can take.

I only wish the Shadow boss in Generations had that level of challenge.

• Thumbs Up 4

Day 28: Which boss(es) do you feel deserve more recognition?

So many to choose from! I'm going to mention a few in chronological order:

Egg Beetle (Sonic Unleashed): 

SeGt7ZZ.png?1

Perfect Dark Gaia tends to get the most attention when it comes to Sonic Unleashed-usually for the wrong reasons. On the other hand, this boss is a modern-day showdown between Sonic and Dr. Eggman in my favorite Sonic game that is actually my favorite boss battle overall due to the speed, banter between them, and Sonic having a good time amid that boss battle-with bombs and missiles too. But instead of me talking about it a whole bunch, I think it would be better so see and hear the fun for yourself:

This battle may be all "boost to win" and really short, but I found the boss battle to be both sweet and really fun. Most may not like all the chatter between these two, but I enjoyed the banter back and forth between Sonic and Dr. Eggman in the boss battles in general in Sonic Unleashed, especially here where Dr. Eggman does all that menacing talk throughout the battle, only to have Sonic scoff at him and basically say he is nothing but talk after defeating him. I love it!  :D

Sir Lancelot/Sir Lancelot Returns (Sonic and the Black Knight):

apxXb2w.jpg?1

It's a another Sonic vs. "Shadow" showdown: with a twist! There are two battles against Sir Lancelot which are action-packed, extremely intense and definitely calls for strategy due to the challenge. Aside from the awesome look and feeling that you are actually dueling, you have Caliburn. Whether he is guiding Sonic, simply chatting with him during the battle or even insulting Sonic Caliburn makes everything better ;) In general I like now Caliburn guides Sonic through the Boss fights, which was fitting considering how inexperienced Sonic was with swordsmanship initially and despite that, with Caliburn's experience and guidance and Sonic's speed and determination, the two worked together as a team to various victories as opposed to them arguing and taking jabs at each other which definitely adds to the entertainment of these boss fights.

Sweet Mountain: Captain Jelly (Sonic Colors):

iKLRPKx.jpg?2

The boss fights in Sonic Colors are considered so easy that it's laughable. I think this boss fight needs recognition due to how laughable Captain Jelly is. First of all that name and second of all he spinning and bouncing around with a huge lollipop in his hand! Part of the battle to access that boss in bringing down his ship made of sweet goods has Sonic flipping a switch in the shape of a lollipop! Then part of the attack on Captain Jelly is having Sonic drill through cake via the yellow wisp...Definitely not anything I can take seriously and thankfully with how easy this boss fight is, I clearly don't have to :P

Windy Hill Zone 2-Zazz (Sonic Lost World):

vTJ705o.jpg?1

It's a real shame that the Deadly Six overall has a bad reputation as I find all them to be interesting. This even extends to their boss fights for the most part. The first boss fight of Sonic Lost World has immediate intrigue due to it being a battle happening at night and the fact that this involves Zazz, my favorite member of the Deadly Six, with his wild and out of control ways, and unpredictable personality. The boss battle may be quick and easy, but I never fail to get a laugh out of it due to Zazz's crazy outbursts yelling at and taunting Sonic-all while riding his Moon Mech :P Boss fights that give you something to laugh about IMO are awesome :)

• Thumbs Up 5