Awoo.

Dr. Crusher Presents: The 30 Days of Sonic the Hedgehog Mk.II (Daft and Tolerating It)-PAGE 72, FIN

Dr. Crusher

Bonus Day! 

Question 1: If a one-shot antagonist from the past HAD to come back in some way, which one would you like to see make a return?

Chaos. Granted, I know he wasn't a villain, per-say, as he was corrupted and only wanted returned to the Master Emerald, but I'd love to see an appearance from him again. 

Question 2: What are your top FIFTEEN (or less) overlooked BOSS tracks? (Don't worry, there's no "one choice per game" rule for this one, so choose at your own leisure.)

1. Wrapped in Black - Sonic Rush

2. Supporting Me (Biolizard) - Sonic Adventure 2

3. Solaris Phase 2 - Sonic 06 (OK this one isn't super overlooked because I know it's kinda a fan favorite)

4. Stardust Speedway Zone 3 Bad Future (JP) - Sonic CD. This is the race with Metal Sonic, so it's technically a boss battle the way I see it. 

Question 3: If you ended up never being a Sonic fan, what would you hate to have missed out on the most, whether it relates to the franchise itself and/or otherwise?

First off, I'd obviously miss the games themselves. They're my go-to for video games! Secondly, I'd miss the fan base. Crazy and whiny as it is, I've met some pretty great people. Lastly, I'd miss the music. I may be biased, but the Sonic series has some of the best video game music I have ever heard. 

Question 4: If Knuckles, Silver, Vector, Big, Omega, Zomom, Erazor, King Arthur, Black Doom, and Giant Demon Man from Sonic 1 Beta Artwork engaged in an arm-wrestling competition, why would Tails be the winner?

1146598-UjEXsrx97kDPBKma.jpg

Because he was born with those freakish arms, of course!

Question 5: Who would you say are your best/closest/etc friends on the Sonic Stadium? (Yes, like with Question #30, this is the exact same question as the final extra question for the previous 30 Days. I need my recurring elements like any decent human being, hut hut.)

I'm not really that close with a ton of people on here, but I'm pretty good friends with MykonosFan and DoctorMK. I've also met Oligive and Strong Bad (Mykonos, too) at Sonic Boom, they're pretty cool cats too. I do talk to some other great people here and there, but these guys stick out most to me at the moment! 
  • Thumbs Up 3

Day 31 - One More Final: I Need You

Bonus Question #1: If a one-shot antagonist from the past HAD to come back in some way, which one would you like to see make a return?

252px-Whisker_0216_ok.png147px-Johnny_070322_ok.jpg

Captain Whiskers & Johnny

These two were really great and fun characters. Though it might be cheating a little since Whiskers is essentially robot-pirate Eggman, but you know what, why NOT have a robot-pirate Eggman?! I feel they have at least the most potential for further reappearances, only problem being that they're from Blaze's world, so it'd be kinda weird to have them show up in Sonic's world, even if they are just robots created by Eggman.  But regardless these two were really cool and entertaining characters that had a great presence and chemistry with the cast, and great designs to boot.

Bonus Question #2: What are your top FIFTEEN (or less) overlooked BOSS tracks? (Don't worry, there's no "one choice per game" rule for this one, so choose at your own leisure.)

Well here goes, in chronological order:

Miniboss (Sonic 3)

Amazingly funky and a great beat, and the vocal samples add so much extra flair.

Robotnik 1 (Sonic & Knuckles)

Really cool melody, the instrumentation really sells it though.

Robotnik (Sonic 3D Blast)

I'm counting both the Genesis and Saturn versions here as both are really intense and have a powerful rhythm. Genesis is fast-paced and frantic, while Saturn's version is more dramatic and foreboding.

Cosmic Angel Boss (Sonic Advance)

You wanna talk about overlooked, you can't get more overlooked than a boss theme used for a single boss in the game. Great build up leading into the main chorus and a very climatic melody. Makes for a great penultimate boss theme.

Moon Zone (Sonic Advance)

This theme is probably the most dark and threatening sounding boss theme in the series. Slow, intense drums punctuate every beat.

Crazy Robo - E-101 Beta (Sonic Adventure)

Now this theme is something special. Beautiful blend of synth and orchestra, especially that saxophone. Such an intense, but also melancholic song, perfectly reflects the chaotic nature of the boss fight.

Perfect Chaos ~revival~ (Sonic Adventure)

Everyone always overlooks the songs that play before the main theme songs kick in in Sonic games, and Perfect Chaos' second phase theme is no exception. Great reflects a battle with an ancient god of destruction with it's dramatic strings and powerful, deep brass.

Supporting Me (Sonic Adventure 2)

I'd probably vote this one of the top 5 greatest Sonic themes ever, and maybe even one of the best video game songs ever. It's so dense, with so many different surreal sounds playing throughout with haunting and distorted lyrics expressing the chilling inner dialogue of it's representative. I wanna give a shout out to doing a really good job describing the lyrics and the message being presented. Also, fun fact: During the main chorus (at around :51 secs), the opening melody of Live and Learn actually plays in the background. It's easier to point out in the Generation remix... I thought it was really cool.

Egg Albatross (Sonic Heroes)

That opening drum march was honestly stuck in my head for fucking months; this whole song is so damn infectious like that.

Metal Madness (Sonic Heroes)

Such dramatic and frightening song that matches the incredibly chilling and intimidating atmosphere of the encounter.

Solaris Phase 1 (Sonic 06)

Just like Perfect Chaos, this game's final boss theme gets overlooked in favor of it's pumped up main theme remix, but phase 1 of Solaris' fight is easily the most epic and overwhelming sounding boss theme. The opening ominous Latin choir in particular gives you just a moment to really take in the scope of this fight everything the events of the story has been leading up to; the coming of a literal omnipresent god that threatens to consume the very fabric of time and space. And it only escalates from there as the song becomes increasingly more dire and apocalyptic with the sheer magnitude of the fight becoming increasingly overwhelming. It's this song that makes the shift to the 'theme music power up' feel that much more epic.

Fight The Knight (Sonic & The Black Knight)

Black Knight had such a powerful soundtrack, and this song is so fierce yet empowering, but sense of conviction in it's lyrics, the resolve to charge ahead full throttle.

With Me (Sonic & The Black Knight)

Just like Fight The Knight, this theme is so vigorous, but also calm and more reassuring; the lyrics sound more like a call out for peace, again fitting the scenario. The singers range is also very impressive and make the song escalate further beyond.

Boss Battle 2 (Sonic Colors)

Very pumping and sharp beat. Really catchy addictive to listen to.

Time Eater ~Modern~ (Sonic Generations)

Very exciting and and bombastic tone that's full of energy.

Bonus Question #3: If you ended up never being a Sonic fan, what would you hate to have missed out on the most, whether it relates to the franchise itself and/or otherwise?

Probably this very forum. For all it's faults, it's been fun to be around here, keeping an eye on you folks.

Bonus Question #4: If Knuckles, Silver, Vector, Big, Omega, Zomom, Erazor, King Arthur, Black Doom, and Giant Demon Man from Sonic 1 Beta Artwork engaged in an arm-wrestling competition, why would Tails be the winner?

By becoming Titan Tails of course.

tumblr_inline_mx46agCxYo1r8z4qq.png

Bonus Question #5: Who would you say are your best/closest/etc friends on the Sonic Stadium?

Hmm.... hard to really say since I don't really interact with anybody nowadays, but I'd say some of the people who I've grown a strong fondness to would be, PSI Wind and Ninjashark, who I had many fun times shooting the breeze back when we had that Tinychat room, and Serperior, who on top of that, was also the person who inspired me to start playing Pokemon competitively. I'm almost certainly missing more, but I haven't really socialized here in a long time, so I'm not sure who'd refer to me as a particularly close friend.

OH GOODIE!

Luckily I remember the questions I missed!  ^_^

Question #24: What was your most intense or nerve-wracking IN-GAME moment(s)?
Eggmanland. Really, just Eggmanland.

That whole level was some Ninja Gaiden-esque shit as I parts of the game screwed me over and almost made me throw my controller at the screen. Sections like the bobsled where I would launch from a ramp, only to hit the edge of the next path and fall to my death, or the precision jumping parts of the Werehog were just rage inducing.

And nevermind the GODDAMMNED QTEs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This shit's the reason I flat out hate them in gaming in general.

Question #25: Which of the franchise's art styles do you like the most?
The Unleashed-Generations. Nothing else has flexibility of capturing the aesthetics of Classic era and Dreamcast era levels with Modern stylings to it. Anything past or present can fit side-by-side thanks to this artstyle, so much that it has put every other artstyle this franchise has had after it (and some before) to shame.

And it was quite a disappointment that Lost World abandoned this. They simply nailed it with Generations.

Question #26: What is your SINGLE most favourite aspect/character/etc to come out of any non-game media?
NOTE: Because I'm asking for specific concepts/characters/etc, vague and cover-all answers like "the characterisation in general" don't count.
Well, of all non-game media, I favor the comics. So much that I put the comics above the games.

Since I have to be very specific, I guess my single most favorite aspect of the comic has to be the use of Dr. Eggman as a goofy, yet powerful threat that Sonic actually struggles against. Eggman doesn't screw around in the sense that he's not above trying to kill you, and when he plays around, it's rather torturous or at the very least still dangerous for anyone fighting him. Except when he went insane and became ineffective...only to reason himself back to sanity and become even more effective.

Basically, Eggman's idea of having fun is the least fun thing the heroes would want. Eggman is feared, no matter what he does. And at the very least, I like my villains to be capable threats.

BONUS ROUND!
Bonus Question #1: If a one-shot antagonist from the past HAD to come back in some way, which one would you like to see make a return?
Goddammit, we have to pick ONE? I honestly wouldn't mind the Deadly Six if they came back and were actually "deadly" like they were in the comics.

However, for my choice, I'm gonna go with Imperator Ix and the Nocturnus. I want these guys back to help expand on Knuckles's ancestral history and expand the rogues gallery to provide a more multipolar conflict for the heroes and villains. Because really, we're lacking in recurring villains in the games.

Bonus Question #2: What are your top FIFTEEN (or less) overlooked BOSS tracks? (Don't worry, there's no "one choice per game" rule for this one, so choose at your own leisure.)
Gonna go with a top 3:
  1. What I'm Made Of
  2. Final Fever
  3. Perfect Chaos part 2
Bonus Question #3: If you ended up never being a Sonic fan, what would you hate to have missed out on the most, whether it relates to the franchise itself and/or otherwise?
This community for one, however much the worst aspects may bug me. Ironically, without the more dysfunctional and contradicting parts of the community, I would have never been able to come up with the general arguments and viewpoints as I currently look at things. I would never have been able to go against of flow when I think people are ignoring the ridiculous aspects of the flow, and as a result that difference would have transferred to some other franchise.

And depending on the other franchise I become more of a fan of, I would probably be envious of the Sonic franchise if it manages to survive and outlive the franchise I like, especially given how badly it has done in the past and the identity crisis it's suffering from.

This franchise's community has had a lot of influence for me, and I don't think I would have been as flexible about other things without it without it.

Bonus Question #4: If Knuckles, Silver, Vector, Big, Omega, Zomom, Erazor, King Arthur, Black Doom, and Giant Demon Man from Sonic 1 Beta Artwork engaged in an arm-wrestling competition, why would Tails be the winner?
Er...what? He wouldn't?

Well, not unless he's using a bionic arm, I guess?

Bonus Question #5: Who would you say are your best/closest/etc friends on the Sonic Stadium? (Yes, like with Question #30, this is the exact same question as the final extra question for the previous 30 Days. I need my recurring elements like any decent human being, hut hut.)

I can't really say I have a "closest" friend on here.

I guess it would be the ones I associate the most with. Folks like Zaysho, who even if we disagree (and very rarely have I even seen such be the case), we still understand where each other are coming from and still support each others ideas when they hold up. Mods like Tornado, a guy who's been on here for SO LONG, are one's I really look up to and pay strict attention to whenever they make a statement because there's a lot of sense behind it. Then there's Kiah, perhaps the nicest mod since Flyboy Fox (Tara and Oligivie come in second, btw). Then there's Komodin, one of the most level headed members of this board.

I'm also gonna mention a rather obscure member here, RoboRick, a guy who lurks around but at least tries to make an attempt to conversate on this forum and with me on PM. Makes me sad that I'm not that talkative on PM or other places on the forum.

One of my most important friendships I have to keep in mind is BlackLightning, because there's never a moment he doesn't speak his mind and back up his points. His wit just adds flavor to his words.

Then there's Verte, SenEDtor Missile, Inferno, Indigo Rush who try to keep this place fun loving. And although there are moments where I have no qualms not playing nice with him at rare moments, Diogenes is certainly one of the more insightful members of the board.

There's a lot more, and you all know who you are, but my memory is only so strong. But just because you're not in my friends list doesn't mean I don't have eyes on you as someone I think positively of.

And finally, I've completed all days of the 30 Days of Sonic the Hedgehog! Hoo-RAH!

• Thumbs Up 3

EXTRA Round

Question I: Return of the One-Off Foes!!

There's quite a few one-shot foes scattered throughout the Sonic mythos I'd like to get back. In Sonic in Castle Robotnik, Sonic encounters a mummy modeled off Sally Acorn. How creepy was that? Not only could it be altered to imply the Acorn Dynasty goes back a really long way, she could also make an easy villain for Halloween special where she's uncovered and threatens Knothole.  And speaking of mummies...

I personally see Lyric as being rather like Imhotep from The Mummy. Imprisoned forever for heresy, trapped within his sin, wanting to get out to earn his revenge. Unlike D-Fekt, at least Lyric seemed interesting. He needs a third chance. D-Fekt can just be junked permanently. Stupid Crash Bandicoot reject Orbot/Cubot/SA-55 ripoff...

SA-55 I find to be rather different from Orbot, serving as a sort of "pilot" to Robotnik machinery and less prone to goofing off. The "SA" indicates a new robot series for the Unleashed enemies. I tolerated SA-55 wholly, while Orbot wore thin on me shortly after Colors (Boom is a perfect place for Orbot and Cubot). E-102' is another decent character who unfortunately was scrapped by SEGA for the Colors Era. A nightmare killing machine modeled after a robot who gave her life for a cause. Imagine an E-123'... 

Ooh's a cute Ifrit!!! You are! Ifrit felt like it could explain a ton about Silver in addition to hawking that shit-eating grin. Maybe Ifrit is a flying plothole concerning Blaze and other allies of Silver. I imagined him as rather like Dr. Faciller; a tricky salesman of darkness playing with forces he doesn't truly understand.  That's more interesting than just another mindless monster. 

The Tantarror, a species of dark counterparts to Mobians... good concept. 

And of course Nazo, Mephilles, and Tails Doll are awesome. 

Question II: Overlooked Battle Music.

For one, we have Rise of Lyric's best track, a dark theme showing Eggman Nega really means business as a madman, the 8-bit "Roboticized Master Theme", a surprisingly good jazzy high-speed confrontation theme, the GUN mobile theme, a psycho remix of said theme, a brutal Robotnik theme showing even as a minor threat he's still deadly, the Egg Emperor theme, and of course, It Has Come to This.

Question III: If I was never a Sonic fan

I would have likely never developed a lot of my kinks and quirks and fetishes and whatnot. I would likely have not ended up in video game development or writing good stories. I would have not gotten into a lot of other series, or learned lessons from the community. I might even be envious of Sonic for living so long despite all the crap.

Question IV: Tails and the Supermassive Arm-Rasslin contest

He'd watch and record the whole damn affair, which ends in Black Doom killing everybody before being impaled on the spikes of Big Arm. Tails then snags the trophy. 

Question V: Favorite Friends

I'd say Dr. Crusher's always been a pal, as has Vertekins. Vertekins really knows a lot about story. And my old pal... Komodin.

Well this one was just really stupid since I didn't even answer the question. I guess since I'm not too abrasive when it comes to my opinions to the series, I'm a lot more approachable to the series so people can be comfortable talking to me so me being a friendly guy helps making friends. Real sorry if it sounds awkward, really not sure how to word this right. So hope it's understandable enough atleast.

I knew this wasn't going to be good enough so let me fix this one last time, I never really been to a online site to interact with fellow fans so I guess SSMB is my go-to since it's the only forum I ever go to so yeah. Getting to know others, understanding where their thoughts on certain aspects of the series while still having own personal thoughts as well and overall being mostly respectful and nice about it helped made the friends I have in this forum.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just a question : were the badges shown at some point ? I'm curious to see how they look like :)

• Thumbs Up 2

Alright, it's time fix some questions!

Question #6: What is the single most hilarious thing to come out of the entirety of Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 for you?

After giving it some more thought, I'd have to say the funniest thing that ever came out of 06 would have to be the one cutscene after you defeat the Egg Wyvern, and Eggman goes flying and bounces off a chunk of debris. I mean, what were they trying to achieve with that cutscene XD? IF It was comedy they certainly succeeded, but if that was meant to be awesome/serious like the defeat of the Egg Viper in SA1, they really fudged it.

Question #26: What is your SINGLE most favourite aspect/character/etc to come out of any non-game media?

NOTE: Because I'm asking for specific concepts/characters/etc, vague and cover-all answers like "the characterisation in general" don't count.

Right, so since my posting of this Dark Mobius Enerjak picture and the fact I like its appearance isn't enough...

Dark Mobius Enerjak is a very cool looking character, but a part of the reason I why I think I do like him is what his character is like. Now granted this is mostly due to reading from the wiki, but I did find what I saw there interesting. Basically, his character is that of Knuckles who's basically gone off the deep end as a result of his own insecurities (I think Ogilivie mentioned something like that), something which I think is pretty intriguing since I've kinda wondered how Knuckles in the game universe would have changed as an individual if he ever had to face these insecurities/succumbed to them.

So to simplify things, I basically like Dark Enerjak because he explores an aspect of Knuckles that will probably never be considered in game canon.

Question #27: Which character(s) do you feel get a bad rep that they don't deserve?

NOTE: Once again, I realise this might be a tad challenging, because opinions and all, but if possible, try your best to think of an example that you feel is very definitely widely disliked, as opposed to a character that is merely "divisive" and could go one way or the other majority-wise.

Eh...since I have to be specific, PROBABLY the Deadly Six. Now to be honest I don't really have anything against them and honestly I tend to forget they exist, but at the same time it's easy to see why they aren't well liked. They're all 1 dimensional stereotypes with little in the way of depth, they generally get the absolute barebones amount of screentime to establish any depth, with only maybe 1 of them getting anything out of it, and they pretty much vanish out of the plot with little to no fanfare to make way for a shoehorned (feels like it) Eggman boss.

That being said, I don't dislike them, and I do think they had potential as characters and for worldbuilding. After all, The Lost Hex and Zeti are things that are never exactly explained, as well as their strange ability to control machines and be affected by that conch. Plus for all of the problems exhibited by Lost World's "story", they do clearly have enough moments that they could prove to be decently competent, or at least serve as okay recurring villains of a sort.

• Thumbs Up 2

Fixed the question I messed up, Day 6! We were meant to only bring up one thing but I said two. :P

Day 6: What is the single most hilarious thing to come out of the entirety of Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 for you?

Sonic_Man.jpg

SONIC MAN

I'm seriously disappointed that we have not seen this amazing, mysterious individual since '06. Who is he, really? We'll never really know. And, in a way, I don't mind that, but it'd be nice to see him again. 2016 will be his 10th anniversary, so maybe then?!

• Thumbs Up 1

Bonus Day!

This is a tough one but I think I’ll roll with Dark Gaia, and not just because Chip comes with him.

I’d like to see Sonic have a legitimate struggle with a dark, bestial side rather than pulling the “you’re too strong to lose yourself!” card.

Extra points if we can make the Werehog strong but still fast, a la Dark Jak.

Iblis – Sonic 2006. Purely for that after a long, drawn out build up where the music goes “bum bum, bum bum, bum da bum buuum!” or something like that.

Mephiles – Sonic 2006. While it lacks the intensity most themes have, it makes up for it in sounding fairly creepy. It fits the scary theme Mephiles was trying to go for.

Shadow – Rise of Lyric. I think he easily has the best not-final boss theme out of a game that isn’t as memorable in terms of tracks. It fits the sort of mad man who is making a point to target you for… whatever reason.

Egg Dealer – Shadow the Hedgehog. Appropriately chaotic theme given Eggman has decided that his fate should be decided by a damned slot machine.

Final Fight – Sonic 3D Blast Saturn. In a time where you see lots of praise for the classic boss themes, this music gets overlooked.

Final Fight – Sonic 3D Blast Genesis. Ditto for this.

I love so much of the boss music I don’t think I can really think of many that qualify as overlooked, so since this is fifteen or less, I’ll stop there.

The community events.

Where’s MarioCon, PokeCon, and the like? While some single gaming franchises like MineCraft have developed their own events, most brands have not tried having annual events purely for one franchise.

There are enough events in existence for Sonic I can count them on both hands. For all the time spent critiquing it, there’s a special sort of magic this fanbase has, and I presume that’s why it’s stuck around for so long.

Tails finally decided to one-up Eggman and create a skintight nanosuit that grants him unbelievable super strength. Nobody will ever know because it’s designed to take on a projection of his fur. Muhahaha!

Bonus Question #5: Who would you say are your best/closest/etc friends on the Sonic Stadium? (Yes, like with Question #30, this is the exact same question as the final extra question for the previous 30 Days. I need my recurring elements like any decent human being, hut hut.)

Well let’s see. I don’t want to offend anyone, so I’ll list those I talk to regularly enough (that isn’t primarily for business purposes). This is in no particular order, by the way! I’m just throwing out names as they come. Also bear in mind that if you’re not here, it’s my fault more than anything since I don’t usually talk much unless I’m approached first. There’s very few people I won’t give the time of day to.

I’m also excluding those who I contact primarily outside the Sonic Stadium or its chatrooms. I know a lot of people via Facebook who aren’t that active here despite having accounts, for example, so they’re not listed.

Oscillo
Nepenthe
Patticus
Tornado
Azookara
Killtank
Tara
Vemus
Kiah (she’s quite fun to talk to in person as well, as I learned at the last Sonic Boom!)

This reminds me… I probably should pop into the mod chatroom more. Quite the excellent, friendly forum staff we have here, I’d say!

• Thumbs Up 2

Time to fix some questions!!! 

So for both of these I added more than one moment which was.. erm.. stupid of me. Oopsies. Edited the original posts and quoted them below.

Day 6: Funniest Sonic '06 Moment

Okay, I'll be honest. Not much came to me as funny when I first played the game. I mostly found it an enjoyable experience and never ran into many funny glitches or stuff people usually get when they play the game. Most things I just brushed of as kinda weird like the voice acting and the plot and stuff. However one moment I just couldn't stop laughing at was when Eggman just tumbled away after beating the.. whatever the boss's name was. 

tumblr_mywrk9l1zc1qmmsq4o2_250.gif

Look at him go.

Day 13: Funniest Shadow the Hedgehog Moment

"Damn" -almost every character.

It just sounds so silly and out of place to hear Sonic characters say "damn". To be fair, I at first didn't notice them saying it (aside Shadow) until the mission where you have to defeat the flying airship. When you lose, Sonic says "Damn, they got away!" and it took me twice to realise it was Sonic saying that. XD It caught me off guard, not gonna lie. I guess they were really desperate to make the game have a mature feeling, huh? 

• Thumbs Up 2

PuATCQp.png

Ok, gentlemen and gorgeus women, let's get down to work!

Day 6: Funniest Sonic 06 moment

The fact that this CAN and WILL happen if you're not careful.

It's hysterical. The first time I've watched this video I had to turn off the PC, otherwise the laughing fit would have killed me. Seriously, I stopt breathing. And even now, I can't help but smile at this video.

My favourite character is Tails, but my favourite version is actually not from the games. I loved how he was in Sonic Adventure 1 & 2, but...yeah, you all know what I think about the most recent version of that Tails.  So I'll just talk a bit about one version of Tails I truly love. Sorry X Tails, but this chap right here was awesome the whole run. This will teach you about giving your seat to a human child.

OVA Tails

A child-like ditzy genius. I love this kind of character. And his interactions with that slightly cockier version of Sonic and more friendly version of the red echidna play so well. A great mind, but still prone to tantrums every once in a while, especially when the blue hedgehog showboating nature goes out of control. He might fight against Eggman any time of the day but show him a thunder and he would shiver in fear. That's adorable. I'd have loved to see more of this version of Tails, but maybe it's better this way. Funny enough, I can actually see this Miles growing up to resemble the Sonic Boom Tails, another version  I'm actually finding myself liking but I still think it's soon to judge.

Day 11: Favourite piece of memorabilia

5iTdn2l.png

This Adventure Tails is my first piece of Sonic anything outside the games, and for that reason alone, on top of being an action figure of my favourite character from my second most favourite game , is dear to my heart. I remember when I bought it; it was in the same store where I bought the Gameboy Player for my Gamecube and Super Mario Advance Yoshi's Island. A childhood friend who moved to another region years ago was there too, to keep me company. I wonder what happened to the guy. Between a chat about our high school choices and his father's health (god bless his soul), I tried to light up the moment by talking about Sonic. And it worked a little bit! We even played some Adventure 2 multiplayer!

Scrooge is still awesome

Day 26: What is your SINGLE most favorite aspect/character/etc to come out of any non-game media?

Easy-Peasy. This gal over here.
ejiZ5WZ.jpg

Bunnie Rabbot-D'Coolette, my favourite Freedom Fighter and my favourite Archie character. A little bit of introduction first; While I may like the Archie comics as a whole, especially more than the latest games and their attempts at "Story-Telling", there are some things here and there that bug me out. It's like eating a good chocolate cake, but one that contains...say, cookies you don't like. The cake is still good, but it could have been better? I dunno, I'm not good with comparisons, it's The KKM's job. For example, I don't like the heroes hanging out on a flying warship, fighting simulations in a holo-room. I don't like Sonic still being the Kingdom of Acorn's errand boy. It's something that reminds me too much of American super-heroes, something I don't think Sonic & pals are. But whatever, I can live with it.

What I'm trying to say is that despite liking the comics, and some of its characters (and the same could be said about the Fleetway Comics, I like those too), depending on the writers, there was always something that bothered me in a light way. But Bunnie? Aside from those horribile stories during Penders' last time with Archie ( Issue 150-151, eurgh), I think that this cyborg cutie was the only character who was constantly well-written, or at least decent. Strong, brave, but also sweet, almost maternal, way more than Sally, at least.  Good-natured but also fiery,  with a strong sense of justice, but also capable in an everyday-life setting. No wonders she and Antoine fell in love; they were practically made for each other, and  the issue where Antoine proposes to Bunnie is one of my favourite from Ian Flynn's earliest time with Archie.

Would I be against her showing her face in the games? I don't think the Archie characters should appear in them, especially now, but for her, I may close an eye. Maybe.
  • Thumbs Up 3

Note: Name was  changed to Pac-Yoshi but changed back to Pink Cat

Okay, the big ol post of fixing things, right.

First, let's get the questions I didn't do the first time around:

Question #6: What is the single most hilarious thing to come out of the entirety of Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 for you?

The fact unlike the NPCS in Adventures and Unleashed, they sorta did and sorta didn't have names, given to them, some of them did have actual names but most of them were things like "Middle Aged Man" and "Woman."

Can you imagine asking who's your favorite Sonic character and the answer you get is middle aged man?

Question #13: What is the single most hilarious thing to come out of the entirety of Shadow the Hedgehog for you?

This cutsecne.

The over the top dialogue, the voice acting that goes flat to hammy in seconds, the fact the solider brings up a legitimate question but gets shot down, the fact you'll  have to see this a lot and a lot if you actually play the game to 100%.

It's a classic.

Now, to fix things, on this

On this

And that's the 30 days of Sonic for me, glad to be a part of it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day *beacuse I dun goofed* Fix

*Day 13: What is the funniest moment you've had *heh, that's implying I've actually brought the game in the first place...* with Shadow The Hedgehog?

Well, to be honest, I've never have actually owned Shadow The Hedgehog, My only experience with it has been at one of my friends houses where he had it way back when and we played half of the first level. It was painfully boring and we quickly switched it out to play Kirby Air Ride :/. I don't know, I've played through worst games (at least I think I have) before but I just can't bring myself to actually go out of my way and get this one.... and can you blame me? I think the main reason why I just don't want anything to do with it is because it's built off the Heroes's engine (which was a game that was filled to the brim with mechanics that I already knew I hated).

I'm going to try and stay away from the obvious answers and say that the funniest moment I've seen (through online playthroughs) would have to be the cutscene that plays right before Sky Troops. Why on earth would I choose something like that out of a game full of lines that could easily answer this question? Well, I guess it has something to do with what the player did before it. You see, in the previous level the guy had taken the hero route so that means Shadow was openly defying Doom. But in this cutscene the two were all buddy-buddy. What makes this even better is that it happens multiple times throughout the game. I guess that's what happens when you get lazy in trying to create a game that has multiple endings. Some of the standard cutscenes can make no sense depending on what route you're taking. XD

*Day 20: What are your top 10 *Now without duplicates!* Sonic cutscenes?

10. Sonic CD's Opening Cutscene

Yeah, come to think of it, how could I not put this one on here. It's simply a classic. It's basically everything classic Sonic was and could be all rolled up into one great scene that still looks decent to this day. Add in it being synced to 2 great tracks (depending on your location) and you definitely have one for the ages.

9. Sonic 2 Ending

This is just a nice way to end a fantastic game to me. Definitely my favorite of the 3 classic series endings. The music combined with the nice, blue visual color scheme just creates a feeling in me that's so... for lack of a better term, nice.

8. Sonic Color's 20th cutscene

Besides the usual great dialogue between Eggman and his robots this scene is actually very well written and is definitely the best one in the entire game. Between the epic scale of the amusement park backfiring to Cubot actually making the solid point of it was bound to happen since Sonic always beats him, this was just a really well done scene. Wish I could say the same about the rest of Colors but sadly most of the others don't even have half the quality and writing as this one.

7. Final Secret Ring's Cutscene

I really just like the way this one is shot mostly. Add in the way Sonic just gives it to Erazor and I believe this one deserves to be on the list.

6. Lost World's Opening Cutscene

Man, this game had such a great start! Too bad it wasn't carried through. The only thing I can fault this scene for is not explaining the Lost Hex but beyond that, I loved it. It was a nice combination of classic Sonic and Tails vs Eggman with a bit of scale to it. It was also nice to see an actual cgi opening after Generation's lacked one.

5. Super Exaliber Sonic Transformation

This one is just purely bad ass! I know some people think the whole super sonic in knight armor is a bit of overkill but I absolutely loved it. Add in the fact that this is really the first time in the series where we literally see Sonic get the shit kicked out of him (and that emotion to boot) and you definitely have a winner here.

4. Sonic 06: Sonic Story's last Cutscene

This scene, like damn... I know I'm beating a dead horse here but WHY WASN'T THE WHOLE GAME LIKE THIS. This scene literally showed what they tried to do but just couldn't accomplish. It was a sweet taste of what Sonic could have been. Maybe one day we'll reach that kind of quality in the games.

3. SA1: Tails meets Sonic for the first time

The first and only time Sega and Sonic Team actually felt the need to give a character a back story. I know it's a short scene but it's significance can't be over stated. It added so much depth to Tails.

2. SA2: Gerald Robotnik's Final Message

Another cutscene that just sent chills down my spine. The fact that he pre-recorded this message before he was done in by the firing squad is just a level of dark that this series hasn't hit sense. It's the perfect transition to the end game.

*drum roll*

1. Sonic Unleashed's Opening

tumblr_nafoa4az211tzba0xo3_500.gif

What a fucking way to start off an amazing game. This opening is the reason why I believe future games should try harder with their presentation. The quality was like something out of a Pixar film and even has some impressive shots by today's standards. To me, this is the exact peak of the series so far. I literally can't say anything bad about it. It was perfect in both scale, tone, set up, and display. Add in that perfect score during it and this scene becomes one of my favorite cutscenes in video gaming, period. It's why I advocate for more cgi openings in upcoming Sonic games. If this was what the team is capable of back then, I'd LOVE to see what they can do now.

Honorable Mentions: Really any cutscene from Zero Gravity. While the dialogue in them was inexcusably bad, that presentation in a futuristic setting was spot on. Not to mention those amazing shots of moments like Sonic discovering the ring's power for the first time and that whole sand tsunami before the final boss. Just great moments all around.

There, hopefully now these days conform with the rules. Thanks again Kiah and Crusher for giving the  opportunity to change things!

• Thumbs Up 4

Question #9: What's your absolute favourite portrayal of your top favourite character?

I would say Tails in Sonic X because he was determined. He was real smart in the things he made. Tails had shy side to him and he was loyal to others. He fought against Shadow even though he struggled but made it last long to the end there. I pick this as favorite character portrayal.

Question #10: What's your top favourite episode out of ALL cartoon episodes?

NOTE: You're allowed to answer with the OVA in itself if you don't have another answer for whatever reason.

I like episode in Sonic X "Memories of the Wind" where Amy lost her temper because Dr. Eggman and his robots made fun of her because Sonic not show up. I liked how she threw her hammer and they thought she was defenseless because her hammer was smashed into their ship. Then she makes another hammer appear was real funny. There was another scene in that same episode where Knuckles and Rouge was fighting that I thought was nice and showed they had a thing for each other there. It showed their other personality traits than. Finally at the end it showed Sonic and Amy where they hugged it out because Amy was happy to see Sonic and he was happy to see Amy though not as aggressive like she was. It was nice episode and great than.

Question #13: What is the single most hilarious thing to come out of the entirety of Shadow the Hedgehog for you?

I never played Shadow the Hedgehog game and not have much thought to go with this. The find the computer room especially since Vector seems obsessed with finding it. Other than that it is all I know from the game there.

I pick Scratch and Grounder in Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog show. They provide their own humor to the show and the names they call Dr. Robotnik are amusing there. They use lots of name calling for each other. That is all that I got for this than.

• Thumbs Up 2

Day Fix: You Can (Not) Redo

Day 6.66: Most Hilarious thing to come out of Sonic 06

What I feel represents everything wrong with this game.

Terrible gameplay, retarded story, cringe inducing animation and voice acting, all these things make Sonic 06 a horrible video game and one of the most broken games ever made. The sheer number of ludicrous glitches though, turn this game into comedy gold!

Continue?

*inserts coin*

Day 06

Yeah, I kinda lazily skimmed on this one, cause it's Sonic 06 and I really can't be arsed to think about it! :D

So my apologies, and also sorry for harping on about other people's work instead of coming up with something to say myself. :B

Anyways, I'mma stick with my first choice which is this beauty:

4dMMV.gif

why, daddy?! D;

Shadow Chaos Controlling then Roundhouse kickTMing Silver in the back of the head!

81i1b.jpg

I laughed so damned hard when I first saw this, and I think it's fair to say we all love this! Not just for the action of kicking that little shit in the back of the head, either. I just love how nonchalant Shadow is, how he hardly moves when he lifts that Chaos Emerald up and bullet-times Silver into that kick, then Silver eats that dust. You will eat that dust, and you will like it, Silver; there isn't any in your future! It's all ash! ASH!

It's just so stupid, so hilarious and I think it's a perfect example of what Sonic 06 boils down to: an over the top mega fail. And their massive heads and tiny legs just make it so much funnier.

Also, for the question on my favourite merch, I reduced it down to just my retro Tails plushie. I have always considered my Tails and mini Sonic a pair, and odds are they are both mouldering away in my parents' attic together but yeah they weren't part of a set at all and were given to me on different occasions. I definitely got the Tails first and I probs gave him more cuddles when I was a kid! :D I was a massive Tails fan back then. So yes, it's that lil dude for sure.

As a last note, I'd like to thank Crusher and Kiah for another 30 Days o'Sanics and for extending the event into July to let us catch up. Thankies, guys. You rock.

800px-Little_Planet_Flora.png

• Thumbs Up 3

Fixed this. Shadow kicks Silver

Question #9: What's your absolute favourite portrayal of your top favourite character?

My favourite character is Tails and I think that best portrayal is from SA1. It just feels that in the end he bacame more mature and independent.

Question #12: What is your most nostalgic memory with the franchise?

Well, I don't really have one since I'm new fan. I think playing Sonic Generations first time, which got me to whole series.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SqLXndp-O9k

"You know what they say, the more the merrier"

I just find Eggman's repeated lines very funny but this put things in the whole new level. At least previous line ("get a load of this", for example), where shorter and fitted better to situation.

Question #15: What little things do you like to do in the games that isn't an inherent gameplay goal?

NOTE: Examples like clearing missions and Chao raising don't count, as they are still part of the intended gameplay setup.

Sometimes I just focus more on music than in what's happening. I just love music in Sonic-games so much.

Question #17: Which characters/bosses/enemies/etc have the most amusing designs to you?

Titan Tails. Seriously what were they thinking when they came up with that?

Question #19: Regardless of how close or how far the similarities start and finish, which character(s) would you say you sound the most similar to?

I don't really know. I don't think I sound anything like any character in Sonic. But I pick Silver from Generations.

Question #21: Which character interactions would you like to see that aren't common?

At this point, Sonic interacting with any character in games besides Tails and Eggman. In newer games, is he really interacted with anybody else? Yes, in Lost World there was Knuckles and Amy but that still wasn't very much.

Question #22: Which commercials are the most memorable for you?

NOTE: It doesn't have to be a commercial for a game. You can choose an advert for a cartoon or a piece of merchandise.

To be honest, I have never seen any commercials. In TV there barely is any video game commercial at all and in internet I have never seen any Sonic related.

In pre-reboot comics the backstories of main characters.

I mean, what do we know about ourmain characters in games? When it comes to the life before events of games, almost nothing. I really liked when in comics every character had their own story and even family. And then reboot came and all of that was gone...

Question #28: Which boss(es) do you feel deserve more recognition?

Egg Viper. Even if Perfect Chaos is best fight in the game. I think it's very good and challenging end boss to Sonic's story (aside for those annoying razor's which I always mess up and die because of knockback)

Question #29: What are your top TWELVE (or less) overlooked LEVEL tracks?

I give my top three

3. Flame Core (06). I hate this level so much but I really love it's music

2. Death Egg zone (S3&K). This is one favourite tracks in the classic games. I think that it captures very well the whole "Death Star" feel that level has and I really like that.

1. Final Fortress (Sonic Heroes). I can't really say why but I really like this track.

Well, there was many which I missed and those weren't all completely. With rest of questions I need to think little more.

Right, time for me to mop up on two questions, starting with:

I’m going to have to be a naughty boy and reuse a gif from RosaRosaRosalina...

tumblr_mgnbrptBM11rj64zqo1_400.gif

Just...what was going on here?  Even before we get to the spin (and we will), what is with that dainty pose? Head to one side, arm sticking out, it’s so...camp. For a villain supposed to be dark and menacing. The mind boggles. Then we have the turn itself. What, did the animator just leave it on auto-rotate and not think to stop it on time, or did he purposefully add Mephilles’ touch of flair? The thing doesn’t even come off as eccentric, just bizarre, and in a bad way. The mind, having just finished boggling, shuts down completely, having endured too much silliness to handle.

Before, I listed a couple of things. My favourite for pure schlock though has to be this scene, when the gang are paralysed.

https://youtu.be/bD8ww82osbQ?t=4m48s

They must be the least intimidating alien carnivore ever created, and the terrible acting and poorly-aged graphics do not help matters. Not to mention, the threat of them is nullified almost instantly. We’re talking Ed Wood levels of hilarity here.

And with that, I'm finished. Thanks to Kiah for showing me my mistakes and Crusher for hosting!

• Thumbs Up 2

Apparently I messed up on a couple of question. Must have not understood the question more critically or something ANYWAY HERE WE GO.

If we're talking from the game outright, then I have one very good scene that just suspends my disbelief in the moment. You know the Egg Wyvern boss (which loosely tries to replicate certain aspects of the Egg Viper boss from Sonic Adventure?) fought as Sonic's lass boss? You know when you defeat the doctor and the mech he pilots ejects him? Yeah well it looks like the programmers were a little lazy on that...

...but it makes a PERFECT reaction gif for message boards far and wide:

871.gif

It seemed I was mentioned more than just one thing in the original question; I didn't make it clear that the 'reveal Shadow is an alien/young GUN commander child freaks out' was my most hilarious thing to come out of the game bar-none. Forcing that seriousness for all its worth, but it made the kid look all goofy. Again, look at this:

GUN_commander_kid_funny_6857.jpg

HOW CAN THIS BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY. AT ALL.

Question 23 (Special Stage): Retro Question #4: In what way(s) have you made friends within the Sonic fanbase?

Well let's see...if what the question is ACTUALLY saying it's asking how I made the friends I made? Well in that case:

I made a few friends initially through the IRC TSS has. Many of them barely ever come here though for reasons I can understand. As for the friends I've met now, it can very well be due to either meeting them in person or sharing similar interests about the fanbase enough to become friends. Apparently people see me as cool enough to befriend me, although I don't often interact with them as much as I want to, I still appreciate them still being friends with me, as far as the Friends list go.

• Thumbs Up 2

Almost missed that we had been granted a graceful catch-up period.  After two weeks with only two days off total, I now have a whole week's holiday going for me so nothing to do today really.  Since it'll annoy me forever to have a half-arsed 10 day badge on my profile let's do this thing.

16. Favourite cheat/glitch

TZVa14.png

More of an intentional easter egg I'm sure but I thought it was a glitch when I discovered it as a kid.  In the top left corner of Sky High Zone on Sonic 2 8-bit, run into the side of the extra life and... two chickens will appear and run off.  Repeat and they'll keep doing it as long as the previous ones have gone off screen.  Magical stuff.

In terms of proper, unintended glitches though, a "favourite" would be the door glitch in Silver's Dusty Desert in 2006, because fuck that billiards puzzle.

17. Most Amusing Character Designs

Tricky question.  Only thing that really comes to mind for me is the Egg Scarab - the boss of Mirage Road in Sonic Rush.  The way Eggman's mech tiptoes about pushing that ball along while he goes "Hehe!" really cracks me up.  He seems to be having such a lovely time of it.

18. Characters You Would Realistically Befriend

Eh prolly a boring choice but prolly Cream?  We'd both get along pretty well and she's nice and calm etc.  Though age difference might be a bit awkward.  Honestly it seems like a Mary-Sue fanfic but probably Sonic too.  I mean come on he's a super friendly guy, no-one would have any trouble getting to know him!

19. Character You Most Sound Like

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.  Prof. Pickle or Caliburn because they both have british accents?  The characters in this series are so wacky in their voice acting that I'm really stretching to think of anything here.  I have a pretty unremarkable voice.

20. Top Ten Cut-scenes

1. Sonic Unleashed's Opening - of course right?  Beautiful animation, amazing opening to a game, and it does that thing where the title of the game is displayed after the intro - I LOVE that.
  2. Sonic Riders' Opening Movie - The 2D animated one of course, not the actual game intro.  Super swish.
  3. Sonic Riders' ZG Opening - I dunno, it was just pretty cool-y done and I really like the aesthetic in this game
  4. Sonic Adventure 2's scene where Eggman is mad for some reason after blowing up the moon - I have a nostalgic attachment to this one because my friends and I used to watch it over and over and dub over it with ridiculous things for some reason - before unmuting for JP Eggman's "OH-HUM" which cracked us up too.  Yeah, teenagerness.
  5. Sonic Advance 2's Cream meeting Sonic cut-scene.  Was just cute and unexpected at the time too since Advance 1 lacked any cut-scenes
  6. Sonic Advance 3's True Ending.  I never achieved this but I've seen it and it's super nice.
  7. 2006's penultimate cut-scene where Sonic and Elise blew out the candle.  Despite all the garbage leading up to it, it was a super nice moment.  I wish they had gone straight to credits after the candle was blown out, and had the final scene follow the credits.
  8. Lost World's pre-Zazz boss fight cut-scene.  Sonic's little "Maybe" cracked me up, one of the few times the modern games have REALLY delivered on comic timing.
  9. Colours' "Let's make like Eggman's hairline and recede" cut-scene, simply coz it was the only time they really made me laugh in the game.
  10. Ah I dunno, Shadow's last story cut-scene where he stomps the squishy alien because it's so fucking bad lol.  Also Black Doom rattling off 10 different generic "PREPARE TO DIE" lines before the Super Shadow transformation.

Honestly this felt more like "your favourite cut-scene from each of the 10 sonic games with tolerable cut-scenes" more or less rather than my actual favourites from the series overall.  So I'll also mention the scene where Amy meets Sonic as a Werehog in Unleashed, and Unleashed's ending because they were super nice too and would've been intermingled into my list without the one cut-scene per game restriction.  SA2's ending too.

21. Character Interactions You'd Like To See

Uhh... Amy interacting with anyone other than Sonic?  I feel like generally the main friendship group of Sonic's pals rarely get scenes to interact with each other because Sonic is always present.  If they can find a way to make it work in the game (if Sonic's the only playable character etc) I'd like to see some Amy/Tails interactions, Knuckles/Tails, that sorta thing.

Also bring Team Dark back.  I know in their only appearances they interact all the time but those appearances have been few and I want more.

22. Most Memorable Adverts

I can't remember seeing many (if any) adverts for Sonic stuff on TV myself, so I can only turn to the ones that reached internet famousness like that awful Sonic Heroes McDonalds advert with the grotesquely deformed cast playing sports.  Other than that, I've always been fond of the Japanese Sonic 2 advert for those cool first person 3D animations of Sonic running through various zones.

23. Retro Round

1. Plushies/Figures: Yes a fair few plushies and plenty of figures.  In terms of ones I'd love to have, I really hope one day First4Figures make a Modern Eggman or Modern Amy big statue figure.  I'd buy either in a heartbeat.
  2. Top Three Tropes: I tend to be more into individual levels and how the classic tropes are portrayed.  But my favourite stages have often been City, Industrial and Space flavoured - I think.
  3. Favourite non-Eggman Villian: Probably Erazor Djinn since he had a cool backstory going for him, even if he was a little lacking in personality.  Merlina also gets a mention for being one of the few female anatagonists in the series and like Erazor, having a motivation (albeit a flawed one) rather than monster of the week.
  4. Friends made through Sonic: Most of my online friends are connected to Sonic, via meeting them through Sonicanime.net back in the day.  I've met a whole bunch of them IRL now, something I never realistically saw happening back then, even a couple from the US.  I love em all.

24. Most Nerve-Wrecking Moment

S-Ranking Sonic Unleashed like... generally.  Geez the way the DLC stages make demands of you is like nothing else, and some are brutal to finish in one life - even just doing that isn't enough to get an S rank usually though, you need to do GOOD too.  I had a LOT of controller throwing moments 100%ing Unleashed, even though I love it overall.

25. Fave Art Style

I'm very fond of the Riders 2D style, but honestly the regular modern renders are frequently very nicely done.  I wouldn't mind them experimenting with 2D art a bit more again like they did during the Gamecube/Game Boy Advance era.  I also find the original 2D Japanese illustrations of classic Sonic very appealing in their simplicity.

26. Fave Thing From Non-Game Media

I guess Sonic X and the Sonic OVA as a whole.  I really love both these things, but Sonic X especially for being able to go more emotional routes with the characters and stories that you'd never ever see in the games due to Sonic's inherent occupation is an action game protagonist.  Ignoring Season 2, if someone told you that the final four - FOUR episodes of Sonic X contained only two fairly comical, extremely short fight scenes (with a bit of badass thrown into the final one), with the rest of the running time dedicated to character interactions, conversation and general calm moments of life and other things, you probably wouldn't believe a Sonic storyline would ever do that, let alone one from what is essentially a Saturday morning cartoon.  But it did and it was amazing and I loved it.

27. Characters Who Don't Deserve Bad Reputations

As you might guess for me, Amy of course.  She's only had the extreme stalker personality people make fun of her for in Heroes and Free Riders out of the main console games.  The rest of the time she runs into Sonic by coincidence in most games, and people somehow get mad at her for you know, going up and greeting her friend in her usual flirty way.  It really bugs me that people only ever remember badly written Amy, or think that her personality has never moved past how she is in Sonic Adventure 1/2.

28. Underrated Bosses

Tough one.  Most of the bosses I love are widely loved too.  The best bosses in the series are probably Sonic Rush Adventure's and a lot of people agree, but being a handheld title does cause people, myself included, to frequently forget about it.  I'm also very fond of Dark Gaia but I totally get why people hate that boss so it doesn't really apply here.

29. Top Twelve Overlooked Stage Songs

Geez these list questions are a bit demanding!

1. Black Comet from ShTH - Like most of Shadow's music it kind of fades into the background and is pretty repetitive, but I'm pretty fond of it all the same even if it isn't the best track in the game.  Considering I thought Black Comet would make a good ShTH stage rep in Generations, I actually have this totally awesome mashup in my head of it and Final Haunt for the music but alas I'm nowhere near musical enough to make that a reality lol.
  2. "Vengeance Is Mine - Circuit Freq Remix" from Generations - People really hate this track and I don't get it.  I enjoy it as a more alternative remix take than Act 1's typical "make everything heavier and oomphier" style.  It really captures the "abandoned highway at night" atmosphere for me, like I'm on some city outskirts alone rather than in the thick of battle.
  3. "Bright Sound" from Sonic Adventure 2 - Rouge's opening stage theme is her best one I think, I just adore the jazzy breakdown before the loop.  Make sure to listen to the OST version too since it goes a bit more freestyle towards the end than you hear in game!
  4. "Dilapidated Way" from Sonic Adventure - I guess this one isn't talked about that much?  I dunno, but I really enjoy it.
  5. Tidal Tempest "B" Mix from Sonic CD (US) - I love the vibe of an abandoned, flooded factory that this gives, way better than the overly chaotic and noisy JP version.
  6. "Dive Into Gravity" from Sonic Riders ZG - I feel like this soundtrack gets overlooked generally but I really love it.  The final stage theme isn't quite as bombastically in your face epic as Riders 1 (which I love too) but that's it's charm, it's very subdued and I love that.  My fave part (from the OST version as reference) is 2:26.
  7. Meteor Base Zone from Sonic Rivals - Such a great final stage theme.  People overlook this soundtrack in general I feel.  I know it's very heavy and repetitive like Shadow's music but really good if you get into it.
  8. Aquatic Base "Level 1" from Sonic 2006 - People usually cite the better levels in this game as also having the better music.  Even though Aquatic Base is a pretty underwhelming final stage, I adore that it has this slightly chilled, melancholy yet intimidating track to it.
  9. Deep Woods from Sonic and the Black Knight - Just another shout-out for kinda melancholy stage music here.
  10. Neon Palace Zone from Sonic Rivals 2 - Same deal as Rivals 1 really, I just like these soundtracks even though most other people hate them.  Yeah though, Sunset Forest IS garbage though, I'll give the haters that one.
  11. White Park Act 3 from Sonic 4 - It's such a short repetitive track but I really like it.
  12. Rooftop Run - Night from Sonic Unleashed - Again, just very fond of this track, perfectly captures the atmosphere of the stage.  My fave part is 2:12 onwards.  Super nice and pretty without dropping the "coolness" factor of earlier portions of the track due to that electric guitar twanging backdrop.

30. Combine Three Sonic Stories

Uhh, this is kind of a weird one.  I mean I just can't imagine any Sonic stories I'd want to mash together that would have an interesting result.  Like at all.  I guess I can say that my dream Sonic story would combine the depth of lore and high stakes of Sonic Adventure 2, with the feel-good production values of Unleashed and the comedy of Lost World - where appropriate of course.  But in terms of just mishmashing stories I'm not gonna patronise coz I would just be picking random stuff for the sake of answering the question.  If that's what's required though, Sonic Riders, Sonic Spinball and Shadow the Hedgehog.  Eggman creates a giant pinball machine mountain and challenges Sonic and his friends to compete in an airboarding race on it.  Chaos ensues, but everyone strives to win as he has promised the victor will have their dangling backstory plot threads fixed in a throwaway line during the final boss.

That'll do for now, will answer the bonus questions in my next post a little later (or edited onto this one, natch).

Question #27: Which character(s) do you feel get a bad rep that they don't deserve?

Probably Shadow. I understand he was pretty depressing in his own game, but people just won't let that go. I always hear how someone hates him because he's "edgy" or something like that, and it's a bit tiring, since he's my favorite character.

The first boss of Sonic 2. That thing was amazing. It was a car... BUT WITH A DRILL. No one ever talks about it. It makes me sad. ;-;

Eesh. Um... The ARK in Shadow the Hedgehog is one of them. I quite like Bullet Train but I don't know if that's overlooked. Dragon Dance from Sonic Lost World too. Also the snowboard segment music from Sonic Adventure was overlooked by me, even. I heard it again recently and was surprised at how good it was.

Question #30: If you had to combine the stories of any THREE Sonic games, which stories would you combine, and can you think of how it would work?

Sonic and the Black Knight, Shadow the Hedgehog, and Sonic Unleashed. Black Knight had some really good writing in it, Shadow has multiple choices (though in this hypothetical situation, they wouldn't necessarily be good VS. evil choices), and the broad, traveling around the world aspect of Unleashed, to be specific. I think that'd be really cool, making certain choices that would affect which stages you go to and relationships with characters... Pretty awesome, right?

One-shot, huh? I liked Ifrit (I think it was called) from Sonic Rivals 2, that was a cool guy. He'd make a fun boss.

Bonus Question #2: What are your top FIFTEEN (or less) overlooked BOSS tracks?

Sonic 2's boss theme is pretty overlooked. Sonic 3's as well. Blue Falcon and Heavy Dog (?) from Shadow as well. The Sonic Unleashed day and night boss tracks too! Those were great.

Hm... You know, if I never became a Sonic fan, I never would've wanted to be an artist or comic writer. I would doodle Sonic all the time when I was little and that led into me wanting to do that for a living. I'm still practicing, but man, you should see my old Sonic drawings compared to now.

Simple. Tails would tell Knuckles that the Master Emerald was in danger, causing him to run off in a panic. He'd also tell Silver that winning this arm wrestling competition would destroy the future, causing him to have a midlife crisis. Before the match started, Tails loosened the bolts on Omega's arms, which fell off in the first match. He gave Zomom a sandwich. He wished for Erazor to have tiny baby arms, for Black Doom to go back to space, and to have the power to beat Giant Demon Man. As he made three wishes, Erazor disappeared. THEREFORE, that is why Tails would win.

Bonus Question #5: Who would you say are your best/closest/etc friends on the Sonic Stadium?

Galabance, Felix, ElectricAngel, Indigo Rush, TheFatPanda, Ice Prince Jin, Wraith, Spinny, Rucdose, RosaRosaRosalina, and anyone else on my friends list that I can't remember. :D

WHOOOOOOOO, finally caught up!

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay time for a Speed Round of Questions! HERE WE GO!

------------------------------------

Question #1: Which game has your top favourite boxart?

I would have to say Sonic and the Black Knight. I just love how intimidating and confident Sonic looks in the picture as he stands in a fighting stance with his sword Caliburn ready to strike while behind him is the beautiful medieval castle, the lovely trees and grass, and the Black Knight himself lurking in the background sky. It just so awesome even if there's a little label in the lower left corner that says "Sonic Storybook Series."

Sonic_and_the_Black_Knight_(Wii).jpg

Question #2: If you could take a vacation in THREE settings/zones/etc in Sonic's universe, where would you go?

NOTE: If you only have one or two choices instead of three, that's okay compadre.

Okay if I were to pick three places in the Sonic Universe to vacation at I would say Seaside Hill from Sonic Heroes, Wave Ocean from Sonic 06, and Aquarium Park from Sonic Colors. What can I say, I'm a sucker for water and those levels look enchanting and look like a great place too swim... minus the killer robots and killer whales chasing after you of course.

Question #3: What new item(s) would you like to see in a future game?

NOTE: I'm mainly talking about proper items, not things like super forms, but feel free to think of more atypical items, like your very own Not-Chaos Emeralds.

I guess a new item I would like to see is ice bracelet for Sonic. Had you noticed through out the series Sonic has pretty much only played with fire but never ice. Wouldn't it be so cool to give Sonic an ability where by using the ice ring he can freeze enemies with a ice aura spin dash or even freeze small bodies of water to reach new areas and maybe even unlock more secrets by uncovering a secret passage all with a simple spin dash. It's a neat idea and I would like Sonic to experiment with ice powers.

Question #4: What were the most difficult challenges for you during your early/younger years with the series?

Well when I first played a Sonic game it was Sonic Adventure DX for gamecube. I was around either four of five and the one problem I encountered when playing through Emerald Coast was that I kept running Sonic off the edge. I wasn't quite use to the speedy controls having mainly been surrounded by Mario games so every time I made Sonic run, next thing I knew I had made him run off a cliff. Because it was a store demo I never really got the chance to learn not to run off the edge until many years later.

Question #5: What sort of unseen or unrecognised interpretations/traits do you like to imagine for certain characters?

I like to imagine Amy Rose as a bit of a gloater. I just can picture her going up to people and saying "Hey guess who managed to help take down Dr. Eggman, that's right me!" It just seems like something I figure she would do to make her more prideful and imagining that it makes her more amazing in Sonic's eyes. Of course I don't picture her as an obnoxious gloater, no I kind of picture that for Knuckles and Shadow to try to make themselves seem better and cooler than Sonic, especially with how Shadow shouts in Sonic Adventure 2 "I'm the coolest!"

giphy.gif

No Amy not there, bad touch! Silver needs an adult! I'm sorry but I can't help but crack these jokes when I see this scene. Seriously did the animators not see how awkward Amy's hug was or the fact her arms should have been around Silver's neck instead of where they are now? But I guess it's a good thing it's so awkward otherwise I couldn't make jokes about it.

Question #7: Which character(s) do you think would have the easiest time adjusting to the real world?

My guess would be Tails since technology is pretty much right up his lane. In fact he would probably be amazed by all 21st Century technology and even think up ways on how to improve them

Question #8: Which generally disliked games do you like regardless?

Sonic and the Black due to the fact I love the story and the gameplay, the story had the best written Sonic to date and the gameplay was fast paced, fun, and gave my arm a nice workout. I used to play that game by the hours until I was introduced to Jak and Daxter.

Sonic from Sonic and the Black Knight, the scene where Caliburn warns Sonic that by slaying King Arthur he would be considered the worst of all knights in the eyes of the people, but Sonic accepts this by replying "Guess I can't be the hero all the time." It was great to see Sonic was willingly to do what was right even if it meant people hating and loathing him for doing what they deemed a despicable act in their eyes.

Question #10: What's your top favourite episode out of ALL cartoon episodes?

NOTE: You're allowed to answer with the OVA in itself if you don't have another answer for whatever reason.

I guess the episode of Sonic X where everyone is trying to get ahold of the chaos emerald that Chris Thorndyke's mom had on a movie set. It was just so hilarious seeing the characters run around the different movie sets as they try to get the chaos emerald. I especially love the part where Eggman thought Sonic was trapped in water, only to discover it was actually a fish tank wall that Sonic was easily able to run around. XD

Question #11: What is your single most cherished bit of Sonic memorabilia?

NOTE: If you don't actually have any Sonic memorabilia, you can just pick your most cherished game or something instead.

My Sonic plushie that I received from high school. I got it from a guy that had a bit of a crush on me and had always spent time with me. One day he showed me his Sonic plushie and stated how he never would give up for anything. I commented on how I didn't have any Sonic merchandise and hoped one day to get a Sonic plushie of my own. Then one day on the last day of high school, much to my shock he approached me and gave me the his plushies. I was stunned because he had stated how he never wanted to depart from them but on that day he wanted me to have them. I was so grateful and while I treasure the others he gave me, I treasure the first plushie he showed me the most and that was Sonic.

Question #12: What is your most nostalgic memory with the franchise?

I would have to say beating Jet the Hawk in Babylon Garden for the first time. Sonic Riders was my first game and I was growing increasingly frustrated over the many days I spent trying to beat Jet the Hawk on that track. I had to train myself to get good at the game until finally I had beat him. I felt so satisfied to see Jet fall flat on his face, it was worth all the frustration.

The cussing, it's so hilarious how edgy Sega was trying to make the game be and they thought by shoving in cuss words at every chance you get like making Shadow cuss when he gets hit, making Shadow cuss when he dies, making Shadow cuss when he fails an objective, making Knuckles, Sonic, and Espio cuss when something goes wrong, it's just so laughable. By shoving the words everywhere to make it seems like and extreme, edgey game for older gamers all they did was make it laughable by how much they overblown it.

Question #14: Which deleted/beta/cancelled/etc concept from the franchise interests you the most?

NOTE: It doesn't actually have to relate to a game, it can be cartoon/comic/etc-related if you want. So if you want to talk about, say, that Nazo chap for example, sure, go ahead.

If I were have to pick I guess I would have to say the scrapped content of Sonic Unleashed. It was interesting how originally Knuckles and Shadow were intended to be in the game but in the end they got scrapped. Shadow is less surprising but it was a surprise that the red echidna was kicked out. Can't help but make me wonder how they would affected the game, would have Knuckles or Shadow got into a brawl with Sonic the Werehog? Would they have been actually a miniboss of some sort? Would they help you find the chaos emeralds? These are the questions I can't help but ask myself.

Question #15: What little things do you like to do in the games that isn't an inherent gameplay goal?

NOTE: Examples like clearing missions and Chao raising don't count, as they are still part of the intended gameplay setup.

Well I guess that would be making Sonic walk. It's a habit I have in all video games where sometimes I just want to see a character walk. So sometimes I'll make Sonic slowly walk for a little bit just to see how it looks like. Funny the Sonic team give walking animations for a character that pretty much runs everywhere. But it's pretty interesting to see them put in a detail like that in a game where the focus is to run through levels as fast as you can.

Question #16: What is your favourite cheat and/or glitch?

I would have to say the Purple Gem jump from Sonic 06. It's so funny seeing a miniature Sonic jump endlessly through the air to tall heights all because of the glitch bar programming. Also to add onto the fact it's so easy to break levels with the Purple Gem jump glitch since you can jump over gaps, loops, and etc, allowing you to save on time and lives

Question #17: Which characters/bosses/enemies/etc have the most amusing designs to you?

Remember that time in the Sonic comics where they had Sonics from different dimensions but they were pretty much parodies of other popular media. Well who could forgot the time when Sonic was attacked by this character.

Ivanna_Robotina.jpg

It's so hilariously bad that they mixed together Robotnik's and Queen Beryl to make this character. I mean it's a female Eggman, I don't whether to laugh or scream as my eyes burn.

Question #18: Realistically, which character(s) would you say you would have the biggest chance(s) of befriending?

Well I guess I would have to say Vector, Espio, and Charmy of Team Chaotix. It would be so much fun to on the crazy and wacky adventures with them just to get the next paycheck. Not to mention it would be fun to participate in their friendly bickering. It's just so funny hearing the arguments they end up having. And how could I forgot the hijinks they manage to get themselves into. I could imagine myself having a blast with them

Question #19: Regardless of how close or how far the similarities start and finish, which character(s) would you say you sound the most similar to?

I'm guessing I sound the most like Blaze. Her voice isn't quite like mine but how she talks almost sounds close to my voice at times whenever I talk about I subject I'm really drawn to.

Question #20: What are your top ten (or less) cutscenes in the games?

NOTE 1: However, in order to make things a little more challenging (and/or to make us sound less biased towards particular games), you must choose only one cutscene per game.

NOTE 2: Despite the question saying top ten, you can choose less than ten if you want to (I went with nine). You also don't have to list them in any particular order.

Werehog.gif

Sonic's transformation into the werehog. when I first saw this scene I was amazed at the intensity it gave of and admittedly it frightened me at first.

ExcaliburSonic_1.gif

I loved this scene when Sonic transforms into Excalibur Sonic, it kind of rmind me of the keyblade armor featured in Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep. Also it hilarious that Sonic has a tail cape.

tumblr_m6rbbuzD6e1qaii6yo1_500.gif

Ah the cutscene that reminds me how Shadow was the only one who wasn't hit with the stupid stick in that game. Man I love Shadow's story and this scene was indeed the highlight. Not as funny as the whole Amy bad touch cutscene but a close second.

Question #21: Which character interactions would you like to see that aren't common?

Cream and Shadow, I would like to see how the two would interact with how Cream is very sweet and Shadow is a very grumpy hedgehog. Makes me wonder what kind of hijinks would insure and would Shadow get fed up with Cream's kind nature or learn to endure it because it reminds him of Maria's kind. The possibilities are endless!

Question #22: Which commercials are the most memorable for you?

NOTE: It doesn't have to be a commercial for a game. You can choose an advert for a cartoon or a piece of merchandise.

The Sonic Riders ads because those ads were the very first Sonic commercials I saw. It was around the time when Sonic X had turned me into a Sonic fan I would see the commercials for Sonic Riders every Saturday morning. I was so amazed by what I saw I just had to ask my parents for it and eventually they did buy the game for me, making it my very first Sonic game. so that's why the Sonic Riders ads are most memorable for me.

Question #23: Retro Round

-Retro Question #1: Do you have any plushies/figures of any Sonic characters, and/or are there any Sonic characters that you'd LIKE to have a plushie/figure of? (I realise this one might feel like a repeat of this year's own memorabilia-related question from before, but I felt this one was still different enough in the sense that it also asks for what you would like to get in the future.)

Yes in fact I do, I have a plushies of Sonic, Amy, Knuckles, Shadow, Dr. Eggman, and Tails. I even bought some Sonic Boom figures, two of Sonic (one I received for preordering the game),an Amy figure, a Knuckles figure, a Tails figure, and a Eggman figure with his eggmobile.

-Retro Question #2: What are your top three zone types/tropes/etc in general?

Green Hill Zone, Seaside Hill Zone, and Spagonia just for the fact of how much fun I have running through them. I consider them fun levels that show off Sonic's speed.

-Retro Question #3: Who is/are your favourite villain(s)... APART from Robotnik?

I guess Zavok because he was really the only on that stuck out to me in the games. Now if I were to include the comics then I would say Scourge because I love how he pretty much the sneaky, cheating jerk that everyone loves to hate.

-Retro Question #4: In what way(s) have you made friends within the Sonic fanbase?

I talk to them about Sonic games and discuss the series before moving onto other topics we might share in common.

Question #24: What was your most intense or nerve-wracking IN-GAME moment(s)?

NOTE: It might be easy to get the wrong idea due to the wording of the question (and the image used for this one I guess), but this question is not about what you find scary or creepy in the games, so try not to get it mixed up. ^^;; Unless this is part of why the moment in question was tense for you of course, in which case, you're in the clear.

Trying to get Silver to run away from those bloody Solaris eyes. They're instant kills and suck thing in so it doesn't help having to run through an entire section with one of the most slowest characters that easily gets sucked in and killed. It always drove me insane trying to get Silver to the chaos emerald while trying to avoid dying.

Question #25: Which of the franchise's art styles do you like the most?

sonic-riders-sonic-characters-2572890-80

The Sonic Rider's art style, I like how also the characters are drawn in an edgy anime style, giving the series a unique look to help it stand out from the rest. Kind of makes me sad that they ditched this style after the first Sonic Riders game.

Dark_Sonic.jpg

Why, why did the anime have to toss away such an interesting concept? I mean when I first saw Dark Sonic I was shocked, I couldn't believe that Sonic was pushed past his breaking point to the point he kind of got a little psychotic. But nope he's just there for a few seconds then Eggman of all people gives him a speech and poof, Dark Sonic is never seen again. But for the short time he was shown, I like how they showed a new side of Sonic, one that can easily break past his mental limits upon seeing one of his friends hurt. After all he got that way from seeing Cosmo scared and Chris unconscious from a stab wound.

NOTE: Once again, I realise this might be a tad challanging, because opinions and all, but if possible, try your best to think of an example that you feel is very definitely widely disliked, as opposed to a character that is merely "divisive" and could go one way or the other majority-wise.

Silver the Hedgehog, while I admit I do crack joke about the character here and there, I don't think he deserves all the hate he gets. A lot of the hate stems from the fact Silver originated from Sonic 06 which wasn't quite a good game and because of that game it left a sour taste bin people's mouths concerning Silver. But even after Silver had appeared in other games and didn't share the problems as he did in Sonic 06, most people continue to hate him for the sole fact he was introduced in Sonic 06. Had he been in a good game then perhaps there wouldn't be so much hate surrounding him.

I guess I would say the Merlina fight from Sonic and the Black Knight. I don't hear many people talking about this fight due to the game it's in. But the boss is amazing, flying through the dark abyss as Excalibur Sonic while the Face to Faith plays in the background, it's just so epic. Also Merlina can be quite tough, that is if you don't know how to cheese her boss fight.

NOTE 1: Like with the cutscene question, you must choose only one level track per game. That might sound disappointing, but if it makes you feel better, I only added that rule for this one because if I didn't, I would spend an even longer time typing this post. (Questions like this one in their most basic form are to my detriment due to me enjoying too many tracks and being all indecisive about choosing one over the other.)

NOTE 2: Don't worry about zones that have different tracks for different acts. You're free to count them as the one choice if you want to.

I can only think of one unfortunately and that's the ancient ruins from Sonic Adventure. I just love the tribal chants in the background while you run or Big's case walk around the jungle. I'm surprised that not many people I've seen mention it since you pretty much her it most of the time as you travel from level to level.

Question #30: If you had to combine the stories of any THREE Sonic games, which stories would you combine, and can you think of how it would work?

NOTE: You don't have to concern yourself with how crazy or nonsensical your end result is, nor do you have to concern yourself with perfectly blending your chosen plots together (or in other words, it's fine if your answer is essentially just "this plot but with this one part from that plot added on"). This question isn't meant to be all that serious. Just have fun coming up with something, hombre.

Sonic and the Black Knight combined with Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Adventure 2. It would have the great Sonic personality from Black Knight with how he chooses to continue helping the people even if they see his werehog form as a monster and the Sonic Adventure 2 part so we can have a duel against WereSonic and Shadow who ended up getting scrapped from Sonic Unleashed.

Questions for the bonus round are as follows:

I guess I would pick Melphiles, he had the makings of a good villain but thanks to poor storytelling ended up as a lame recolor. I would like to see him come back with an original design and better story telling.

None that I can think of, I think all of the boss tracks are memorable and never seem to be overlooked.

I would have never discovered Sonic and the Black Knight and I would have been mad if I never got to see one of the dumbest yet silliest plot twists.

Because everyone else would have broken their arms trying to win and Tails would be the winner just for being the last man standing.

I guess I would have to say The Deleter, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon, Felix, and ElectricAngel since I talk to them the most and enjoy the chats we share.

• Thumbs Up 2