Awoo.

Dr. Crusher Presents: The 30 Days of Sonic the Hedgehog Mk.II (Daft and Tolerating It)-PAGE 72, FIN

Dr. Crusher

Empire City

"The stars represent the diverse people whilst the stripes represent their interconnection" - Empire City's flag.

What a big, flashy, modern place. I like real world cities like Empire City because there's so many sights to see, good shopping areas and nice areas to rest and eat at if it's hub is anything to go by. The people seem...well....composed enough to act calm after the planet was torn apart. It's climate doesn't seem too hot nor too cold too which is a plus because I don't like it when it's too humid or too wet. Because it's a place with a diverse population and is described as a melting pot of cultures, it'd be especially attractive.

Quartz Quadrant Zone

Any time frame except the bad future. Look at all those crystals *_* The water must be very pure and mineral-rich to create such pretty crystal formations. Maybe it'd be nice to drink and swim in?

Twinkle Park

Who doesn't like theme parks? Ok, maybe the mirror room has an unsettling ambience about it and Twinkle Circuit looks like a death trap with all those huge leaps over expanses of nothingness but I bet there's more to Twinkle Park than what was shown in Adventure like amusement arcades and more rides. The roller coaster looks fun without being terrifying. It looks worth it if you can prove that you're a cute couple with your other half and therefore can get in free ;)

• Thumbs Up 6

Question #2: If you could take a vacation in THREE settings/zones/etc in Sonic's universe, where would you go?

sonic_unleashed_Apotos_by_reggiebullock.

Apotos for starters. Holy moly, it looks so damn relaxing. Something about the blue and white architecture is really appealing to me. It blends well with a coastal backdrop. I'm definitely gonna have to book a trip to the real world equivalent (Mykonos) someday.

shc2014_22_10.png

Now this probably falls under Station Square, but I've always had a soft spot for Speed Highway's 'At Dawn' section. I could imagine living in a comfy apartment and waking up to a beautiful morning sunrise spreading across the city. And maybe see a hedgehog or two speeding across the side of the buildings That would be a nice, if a bit odd, wake up call.

538604-sr30.jpg

Sand Oasis seems like a interesting place to explore. The tree's shade next to a pool of water seems like a nice spot to have a snooze; providing it's not too hot, of course. And hopefully Erazor's henchmen have buggered off at this point.

• Thumbs Up 5

DAY 1: THE FUN BEGINS (though a day late.)

There's too many to choose from.

I love all of CD's box art, adventure 2 battle is great, and the American Sonic 1 and 2 are iconic, but there are two I love even more.

SONIC 3

I love this art, it looks like illustrations you'd find in children's books, and I really like that. It's colorful, but not so much that it looks out of place. And I like that it highlights a part in the story.

SONIC ADVENTURE

This covers just awesome. I love Sonic's pose, Uekawa's art was such a refreshing change. Not that there was anything wrong with the artwork before, it was just nice to have a new and global style for a new era.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DAY 2: I NEED A TRAVEL AGENT

I love this question!

I would first go to Emerald Coast, I love beaches, and the whole coast looks absolutely gorgeous. Clear waters, good fishing, and what seems to be a nice hotel, what more could one ask for.

Next, I would go to the conveniently located Twinkle Park. Swimming's fun, but you can't do it all day, so you'd need something else to do, and Twinkle Park looks it can provide that fun. I'm not a fan of roller coasters, but I think I'd try the Twinkle Park's.

And lastly, I'd go to Radical City, cause I need to go to a place where everything is real, can't you see? I think it seems like a nice place to visit, especially in the winter time, when it turns into a snow covered city.

• Thumbs Up 2

Question #2: If you could take a vacation in THREE settings/zones/etc in Sonic's universe, where would you go?

First, I'm going to cheat and say Angel Island as a whole.

Angel_Island_Zone,_Sonic_the_Hedgehog_3.

This has almost everything wrapped into one package, a winter wonderland called Ice Cap where I can go skiing, a fun Carnival Night, a waterpark Hydropolis, and I can go sky-diving in Sky Sanctuary.

And that's on top of exploring the ancient ruins they have there, both in Sandopolis, the lush Marble Garden, and in Hidden Palace. And boy would I love to trampoline on the giant mushrooms of Mushroom Hill!

Secondly, Chun-nan

Day_Hub_Chun_Nan_1.png

I've always had a thing for Oriental cultures, and Chun-nan was one of my favorite places in Sonic Unleashed. I've always wanted to experience authentic asian cultures up close, seeing the people there and enjoy the mountains and rivers in the stone valleys of the villages there. And I really wonder how meat buns taste, having never tried them before.

Lastly, a tie between Megalo Station and Grand Metropolis

Megalo_station.jpg

In some ways, I favor Megalo Station a bit more, as it has a much more futuristic feel. But the color of Grand Metropolis is just exciting and diverse. Both of them have hover cars and lots of high tech equipment, and me being a sci-fi addict, I could feel right at home with either place. 

EDIT: Don't know why the images are so uneven with each other, so I left Grand Metropolis out...

• Thumbs Up 3

~SSMB Has Cleared Vacation Vocation Act 2!~

"Not that irritating 30 Days of Sonic again!" - Ivo Robotnik, Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)

Question #3: What new item(s) would you like to see in a future game?

SSBB_-_Smash_Ball_Group_Screenshot.png

This is hardly fair. Link has longer arms.

You need to rely on some of the good old basics in order to make the very best of products, and in the case of video games, most video game franchises aren't complete without their share of items for you to pick up and then use and then maybe cheat throughout the rest of the whole game with. Like with Mario's Fire Flowers, and Mega Man's E-Tanks, Sonic's had enough items over the years to fill a Quality Street tin. Shields, invincibility, 1-Ups, you name it, it's there. Many of them come in those little capsules that were previously monitors, but there are exceptions, such as the adorable Wisps, although those guys do come in other types of capsules. But just because Sonic has already had plenty of items to utilise (or not utilise, in the case of the Robotnik monitors) doesn't mean that there aren't anymore ideas for future ones out there. What sort of new options would you like to see for yet-to-be-had Sonic hijinks?

NOTE: I'm mainly talking about proper items, not things like super forms, but feel free to think of more atypical items, like your very own Not-Chaos Emeralds.

Crusher's Thoughts: I don't have any extraordinary ideas, but I wouldn't mind seeing an extention of the elemental shield concept from Sonic 3 & Knuckles. It's a run-of-the-mill concept, yes, but because of how they all have their own advantages and disadvantages, not to mention their own moves in the case of Sonic himself, I think it's an idea worth looking into some more. We've had Fire Shields, Water Shields, and Electric Shields, but how about, say, an Ice Shield, for example? I could see that being used to run on water (without needing to be speeding really fast over said water, I mean), not unlike the Ice Flower from Super Mario Galaxy. Or maybe a sort of Rock Shield, which could provide a little more defense than even the other shields? I don't know, I'm just brainstorming here.

So with that out of the way, you may now post awaaaaaayyyy!~

• Thumbs Up 3

Question 3: Klonoa designs a Sonic Power-up and almost instantly because a video game designer

Something I want to see is "Spring Boots". It works like this: The character that uses it simply jumps higher, but it has another use, where the player can jump off of any wall with the spring boots. It's not like a wall jump, you basically use a wall so Sonic can instantly gain fast momentum as he rockets down from the wall leap.

• Thumbs Up 3

Day 3: What new items would I like to see?

I've always liked the idea of a portable checkpoint system: Instead of finding a Star Post in the level, you break open a monitor to get one you can plant anywhere in the level! You can decide what spot is the best one to respawn at!

Day 3

I'd like the Chaos Drives to return and for there to be extensions thereof.

While the Chaos Emeralds themselves are the gate to godmodding, the wider use of chaos energy is still relatively untapped in the series barring Shadow's ability to use his powers without an emerald.

That in mind, I'd be interested to see what effect the return of the Chaos Drives as something BESIDES Chao fodder would have. Maybe they give some sort of temporary power up based on color? Though really this is also an attempt to try and get a deeper peek inside the lore of the series, when there's still a lot of things left vague regarding Chaos energy.

As for an actual item to pick up, hmm...

Dare I say it, but a camera. Sonic seems to enjoy relaxation and natural beauty as much as smashing through robots, so would it be unreasonable if he could take a break (assuming the player wanted to) and snap some shots of the surrounding area? This first person mode could potentially capture beauty in a way that no screencap could. It has minimal impact on gameplay but it would be an interesting aesthetic.

• Thumbs Up 5

Day 3: What new item(s) would you like to see in future games?

Fucking hell, I would love something that would make Sonic move faster underwater. Water shoes or something, I don't know. Just something that would be hidden in a location that's both challenging to find and near or in the underwater sections of whatever zone. It'd make him move ground speed underwater.

Those sections in Sonic games just always kind of irritated me, honestly. They can be a challenge and something different, which is good, but in ones where you're running underwater and there's nothing to help increase your speed it tends to get annoying pretty quickly for me.

They'd need to be hidden in a location that would either be in the underwater section itself or nearby, though, as this sounds like it'd be pretty godly OP and thus should not be something that is easy to acquire.

• Thumbs Up 1

30 Days of Sonic Act 2 Day 3: What items would you like to see in a future game?

Something I would like to see is a sort of tag-team item in which when you pick it up, you are another character for a few seconds and when the time is up, you're Sonic again. This one is a hard one for me ans this was the only idea I had without copying something else.

Day 3 Complete!

• Thumbs Up 1

Question #2 - Which 3 places from Sonic's world I'd like to go

Oh man, where to begin?

1 - Sweet Mountain

Oh man, Oh man, OH MAN, who wouldn't like to go here? I'm pretty sure on your way out you're given a bag full of insulin shots, because god damn, this place is the place of dreams, mountains of cake, jelly bean bombs exploding everywhere, pancake towers, giant Hamburgers...Ah what the hell, you need something not candy every once in a while so it won't get too much nauseating, and besides, the place itself looks so fun and full of life, and rarely has any signs of Eggman abusing of whatever the planet might need to survive, unlike some other stages.

2 - Rooftop Run (Sonic Generations)

I chose specifically Sonic Generation's Rooftop Run for one single reason: The place seems to be celebrating something, and Spagonia, which already is a pretty beautiful looking place, shines even more during the celebration, hot air balloons everywhere, conffetti, a really happy looking and fun place to be, the people you meet in Sonic Unleashed there are good people, they all have their own personallities and quirks but you can see that deep down they're just good people wanting to live a good life, the university there is beautiful, heck, the possibility of meeting Prof. Pickle and eating sandwiches with him while he tells me about the history of the Gaia temples is already worth it's spot here.

3 - CRISIS CITY, GUN FIGHT SUM DEMONS IN THE MIDDLE OF THAT HELLFIRE, BABY!

Ok jokes aside....

3 - Apotos 

A good place to sit back, relax, and just enjoy the place overall, everything there is so chill, everyone is laid back, just focused on enjoying their lives and no worries in the world, the place isn't too much urban, meaning there's some nature around there to be enjoyed, which is always great.

Also I kinda want to eat that Chocolate Chip Sundae Supreme... YES THE ENTIRETY OF SWEET MOUNTAIN ISN'T ENOUGH, I NEED THAT ONE ICE CREAM.

Ok, since I'm pretty late...

Question #3 - What new Item would you like to see in the series

You know, one problem that I have with the modern games is that they don't use the other character in the franchise, especially those who's gameplay would help with some variety, so my idea is...

Friend Summoning Capsules:

Hey if we cant have Sonic's friends as playable characters, what about the next best thing? His friends being power ups to add variety into gameplay, Knuckles being able to help Sonic by digging tunnels into hidden areas, Tails flying Sonic through big gaps, Amy being able to throw Sonic to higher parts of the stage, you could work a lot of things from these, and if used right, they can be used to reach the quicker paths, and you could have two different friends have different effects if summoned together, heck why not even a Team Blast?

• Thumbs Up 3

Hm... I suppose maybe I'd put in something that allows you to breathe underwater indefinetely? Or some sort of Mirror Shield that reflects all hazards (except spikes, pits etc.)? Maybe some sort of Lightning Beam?

...look, trying to come up with original power ups for a 2D/3D speed oriented platformer is hard, 'K?

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 3: What new item would you like to see in a future game? 

I know this is probably a pretty lazy idea, but maybe there could a shield which is similar to the W Spin Attack, but it takes it a step further. 

Whenever you jump and press the jump button again, a wave of energy appears like the W Spin attack, except the wave will travel out from his body and destroy any badniks in the way of the wave. 

Maybe you can press the jump button several times in the air and several waves can come out, but each wave is weaker than the last. Maybe with the weaker blasts, it would take two or three to destroy a badnik. 

Don't know what the purpose of the weaker blasts are, but I'm just bouncing ideas around.  :)

• Thumbs Up 1

In terms of new item ideas, I'm not exactly a wealth of creative thoughts, but I think like an underwater suit or something would be cool. It'd give Sonic more mobility underwater, maybe give him the power to dash through currents while jumping, and perhaps give him like a refillable artificial air supply that slowly runs out before your usual air limit is even impeded. It'd allow them to build longer underwater sections and new puzzles as well. That's pretty much all I can think of.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd like to see Tails be able to use his Energy Ball / Arm Cannon thing from Sonic Battle (or, as I like to call it, the Tails-Buster) in in a new game. It'd also be cool if Knuckles could get a pair of gloves (Adventure power-up style) that would let him pick up and throw enemies like the Werehog (of course it could just be a new addition to his default move-set, but we're talking about items here).

That in mind, I'd be interested to see what effect the return of the Chaos Drives as something BESIDES Chao fodder would have. Maybe they give some sort of temporary power up based on color? Though really this is also an attempt to try and get a deeper peek inside the lore of the series, when there's still a lot of things left vague regarding Chaos energy.

Shh... Don't go around spoiling things about my fan-game like that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 3: New items

Hm, items are the last thing I think about when it comes to Sonic games. Usually all that matters are the mechanics, the level designs, and the physics.

The best ones I can think of have to do with how Sonic runs through the level, be it with shields, invincibility, speed-shoes, soo... How about light-weight shoes?

Sonic could jump higher and longer for the duration he has it, making platforming relatively easier like the double jump did, but the faster he goes, he becomes more prone to jumping further if you hold the jump button down, almost gliding, as if he's riding on the wind? Maybe they could even have an effect on how you move in the water.

Dunno how if it could be perfected to the point where it's just as good as the invincibility or the running shoes, but it's the most core-mechanics-centric power-up I can think of. Bet you could chain some wicked level breaking speed-runs with it and the speed shoes in tandem, as well.

Day 3: Complete!

• Thumbs Up 1

Question #3: What new item(s) would you like to see in a future game?

NOTE: I'm mainly talking about proper items, not things like super forms, but feel free to think of more atypical items, like your very own Not-Chaos Emeralds.

I have a couple ideas:

Buddy Bomb/Zeti Bomb - This item turns all surrounding Badniks into RC allies.

Genesis Time - Makes a Classic Version of your character appear, allowing you to control both at the same time.

Chaos Chili Dog - Random Effects

Chip's Collar - Decreases the price of sweet Foods for characters or Chao.

Pit Pocket - This item will save a character from falling into a pit, but will take half of your character's Rings.

Rush Roulette - A roulette appears and can add more Rings, Lives, and Experience, depending on how fast your character can move and for how long during a time period.

Sticky Shield - This shield allows characters to walk along walls and ceilings, sort of like the Pink Wisps but without the invincibility.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, this is also going to be a difficult question. Eh, that's okay, I like questions that make me think a little.

Day 2: If You Could Vacation In Three Locales From the Series, Which Would They Be?

Seeing as how the series has showcased a plethora of places, there are definitely a lot of choices I have. But if I could only pick three, here's what they'd be;

White+Park+Zone.JPG

1: White Park Zone (Sonic 4: Episode II)

Let me just state for record that I love winter. Cold as it may get at times, it's still my favorite season. And, I love love theme parks. So, a theme park in a winter wonderland sounds just up my alley. And if Sonic 4 takes place near Christmastime like the zone suggests it does with all the pretty Christmas lights and such, then I know what time I'm booking my stay~

So, what would I do? Well, since I love roller coasters, the one here is the first place I would head to.

7.jpg

Damn, that looks like fun. And it looks like it goes on for quite a judging from the background. Or, maybe that's a different coaster. I'd go on that one too!

Then, I'd probably head over to the ferris wheel. Probably wouldn't go on the carousel though. Never been a fan of those. But hey, this place would probably have plenty of other things I could do. Like, oh, I dunno, snowboarding or skiing. That might be fun. Plus, think of all the delicious food I'd get to eat. Speaking of which....

Inside_the_Sweet_Mountain.jpg

2: Sweet Mountain (Sonic Colors)

I have perhaps the biggest sweet tooth in the world, especially in regards to chocolate. Oh man, do I freaking looooooooove chocolate. So this place? Oh god, would I have a great time here. Considering this place was part of Eggman's Interstellar Amusement Park though, I don't think I'd go on any of the rides. I don't think I'd want to be on the Choco-Coaster if it decides to melt. Nor would I want to be anywhere near the Bake Me Crazy. But hey, I'd have fun eating the hell out of this place~

The_Sweet_Mountain_Park.jpg

Candy cane loop, please stop tempting me with your delightful-looking peppermintness.

And finally....

maxresdefault.jpg

3: Station Square (Sonic Adventure)

Let's see... it's got a beach, a theme park, and a casino. What more do I need to have a great vacation?

While staying at the hotel, I'd spend some time sunbathing at the beautiful beaches of Emerald Coast. Just as long as there aren't any killer whales around. xD

93438.jpg

The dolphins seem safe to be around though.

Then, I'd head over to Twinkle Park and spend some time on the rides. The roller coaster would be a priority of course and who wouldn't want to drive a freaking hovering go-kart in Twinkle Circuit? I'd go for that any day of the week.

maxresdefault.jpg

And finally, I'd head to Casinopolis. Where I'd gamble the night away and possibly do some drinking. Because why not. (I'd try not to get too drunk though much though.)

hqdefault.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

#3 A new kind of item:

This is kind of tricky...an idea I do have is...

A Shield or Shoes that gives Sonic the ability to briefly walk in the air, the faster you are when it happens, the more distance you get. It helps in the more pit heavy areas of the game. You do have to jump and hold the button in order to activate the ability, so there is that.

Now that I think about it, it makes more sense when you look at it as a Jet-shoes power up that you activate yourself and it gets limited distance compared to the actual jet-shoes in that game-gear game.

Day 3: What new item(s) would you like to see in a future game?

I would like to see a jetski powerup. Or a floatation item box. Or just anything to skip those godforsaken water sections. My justification is that I don't like water sections and I'd like something that can skip them if the level layout allows for it. 

If not that, maybe if the chao mechanics were ever revisited, maybe rare pick-ups themed around a particular character (maybe little crests or biscuits or something) that would allow a player to raise a chao to be one of numerous character chao. Because that'd be fun to revisit on expansion.

A powerup that can be added is a powerup where you can create platforms for those instances that you missed a hidden item of course, it can only be used if you screwed up your chance to get said item. Not really wanting it but you know, spitballing here!

Day 3: What new item would you like to see in a future game?

I actually did have fun writing this. Some of the items I came up with cause more harm then good to the character.

Ice Shield. I would like for there to be an ice shield that can protect you from those cold ice machines sprays than.

Random Item. I would like for there to be unknown items as in an item marked to be mystery.

Badnik Magnet. Pretty much a magnet that attracts badniks to the character. However they will hurt you when they come into contact with you unless that you destroy them if at all possible.

Badnik Invincibility. Instead of your character getting invincibility all badniks get invincibility and if you touch them you get hurt and lose rings for it.

Ring Shower. This item makes it rain rings for short duration. During some ring showers you could get item falling from the sky.

• Thumbs Up 3

DAY THREE: NEW ITEMS

Huh. Items aren't really something that I've thought about when it comes to playing the games, but they were always nice. I loved the elemental shield is Sonic 3 (and Knuckles), and I'd love to see the concept expanded further on within newer games someday, but powerups don't always have to be shields.

For this, I've decided to generate the idea of "Anti Gravity Shoes", where Sonic could latch onto a wall for a short period of time and run up and down and jump and stuff as he pleased. How it works is something like the parkour in Lost World, those Anti-Gravity sections in space based zones, and, lo and behold, Sonic's supposed handling in Sonic 4. Sonic's speed and traction aren't exactly changed, but his jump is made slightly higher to compensate the fact that he's in, well, Anti-Gravity mode.

Rr6FPOG.png

I also believe that there's a way to manifest this power up for more than just climbing walls. If used correctly, these shoes can allow Sonic to reach a different pathway, or at least come up with a way to get through the other. He could prevent himself from falling down by timing his jumps on the platforming walls, or if he jumps high enough, he could stick onto the wall on the top and continue on through the loop de loop.

He'd have to move quick, though, as like the speed up shoes, these shoes are also timed.

This probably only looks good on paper, but I'd love to see something like this made in some shape or form.

• Thumbs Up 2

Thinking about this mainly from a sidescroller Sonic perspective - I'd like to see a new item which is zone specific. For example, an item box would contain the zone icon - jumping on it would give you an item specifically designed for that zone. Using it would make traversing the location more interesting by offering unique routes and payoffs by holding onto it. The catch would be there'd only be one or two per zone for you to get your hands on. So if you lose it, it could be over for you, and you'd have to just finish the zone as normal. Examples of an adaptive item could be such as:

• A greenish hill zone has a watering can item. By using it on sprouts seen through the level, they can take you to higher paths or secret goodies.
  • A snow level could have a fire breathing item. This could let you melt snow to find shortcuts.
  • A music zone could give you a baton for composing. By using it in a specific spot near the end of a level, you create a piece of music which creates musical notes to an alternative route out of level and a shortcut in a world map.

Aside from that, extending already existing with smart concepts could always be good too. As in, things like elemental shields could clearly expand to be so much more, and Wisps can continue to develop in smart ways.

• Thumbs Up 6

For the record. I changed my Username from Nightwing to Ryannumber1gamer

Day 3: Design a new item for a future game

I wouldn't mind power ups that make references to older games in the series. For example, you could hit an item box and be granted the Werehog form for a little bit, Although instead of making you fight enemies, it instead increases Sonic's speed and allows him to get one hit KOs on enemies with the homing attack.

Another example could be Chip where if you get him, he'll follow you for 30 seconds, perhaps granting Sonic 30 rings, or increased speed, or a random effect during the time period.

I'd also like the elemental shields return in full force, along with new shields based on other elements such as Earth (Perhaps the double jump move could be when Sonic smashes to the ground, causing a shockwave that destroys enemies) for example.

• Thumbs Up 1